PDA

View Full Version : are there any good c++ IDEs for os x?

macman2790
Feb 20, 2007, 01:14 AM
i can't seem to find any IDE other than xcode. xcode is ok, but it's just not my cup of tea. :)

bousozoku
Feb 20, 2007, 02:35 AM
It depends on what you mean by good but you might try jGrasp, which supports a variety of languages, including C++, Java, and Objective-C.

AlmostThere
Feb 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
Eclipse and CDT?

Soulstorm
Feb 21, 2007, 06:55 AM
It depends on what you mean by good but you might try jGrasp, which supports a variety of languages, including C++, Java, and Objective-C.

I hated it, actually. I think XCode is better.

Fearless Leader
Feb 21, 2007, 07:09 AM
I've never used eclipse for anything big but I like xcode more.

lazydog
Feb 21, 2007, 07:53 AM
I like Xcode too! I know there was a bit of a debate going on in another thread about which IDE to use for Java development, but for C, C++ Xcode is pretty good I think. I'm looking forward to the new editor in Xcode 3 with its code folding feature.

macman2790, I find the 'all-in-one' layout the nicest to work in. Have you given it a go?

b e n

macman2790
Feb 21, 2007, 10:51 PM
I like Xcode too! I know there was a bit of a debate going on in another thread about which IDE to use for Java development, but for C, C++ Xcode is pretty good I think. I'm looking forward to the new editor in Xcode 3 with its code folding feature.

macman2790, I find the 'all-in-one' layout the nicest to work in. Have you given it a go?

b e n

i'll give it a chance, just since i really dont like using it for java i was almost sure that it wasnt too cool but i will give it a try, im sure i will like it.

plinden
Feb 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
Eclipse and CDT?

Does CDT work on Macs now? When I installed it on my Mac, it screwed up Eclipse so badly I had to totally remove Eclipse and reinstall.

To the OP, you could try Qt. There's a free noncommercial version, if I recall correctly. I've only ever used it once though - never found I had a need for it.

DaveP
Feb 22, 2007, 08:51 PM
CodeBlocks is a multi-platform IDE that I believe is open source. I tried it a while back for kicks and it was ok.

aaronbrethorst
Feb 23, 2007, 10:00 PM
i can't seem to find any IDE other than xcode. xcode is ok, but it's just not my cup of tea. :)

Microsoft (http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2006/08/08/saying-goodbye-to-visual-basic/), Apple and Adobe (http://blogs.adobe.com/notesfrommnr/2005/09/adobe_plug-ins.html) seem to do all their C++ development in Xcode. According to conversations I've had with a few MacBU developers, Codewarrior was their preferred environment for developing in C++, but it's gone.

Aaron