Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Is there an easy way to see what serial number you're using on a Mac OS X Server box?

I seem to recall there was a way to bring the number up, and even change it, but can't find it at the moment...

Thanks!!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I believe it's done the same way you do it on Mac OS X client, though it can't be changed.

Bring up the About This Mac box and click on the Mac OS X version. The build number will be revealed. Another click reveals your Mac's serial number.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the only caveat is that if the logic board of the computer has been replaced, it can get complicated, because the entire computer is still considered to have the original serial number that is printed on the bottom and under which it was sold, but the new logic board may have a different serial number, causing the system profiler to give you a different number than the one on the bottom of the computer.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Ah, I should have probably clarified - I meant the serial number of the software. You know, the number you use to install the Mac OS X Server software in the first place?

I know the trick about the hardware number, and that it can't be changed!

Thanks again...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's been awhile since I've tried this, but you used to could access the serial number via Terminal.

sudo ./System/Library/ServerSetup/serversetup -getServerSerialNumber

kfranke

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
Did you guys get this to work? I have an iMac G3 that boots to OS X Server. It asks for the Mac OS X Server serial number and I don't have that. I hoped I could access it with your command:
sudo ./System/Library/ServerSetup/serversetup -getSerialNumber
However, that just returns '-3000001'.
I really don't even want to run OS X Server, but can't find a way around it. Is there either a way to determine the server serial number that was initially used for this OR a way to tell the system (via terminal command, since that's the only option I have without the serial number) to boot with the other operating system?

activenodes

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
It's been awhile since I've tried this, but you used to could access the serial number via Terminal.

sudo ./System/Library/ServerSetup/serversetup -getServerSerialNumber

/System/Library/ServerSetup/serverserialnumberutil -get

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.