Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Right ok, this may be a long post, but wel worth my while. I just have to get this off my chest.:)

Having just been to a family friends' house to drop off a CD that I burnt off an album I purchased off iTunes, I was shown an immensely complicated and naff Windows setup, with which all of this and more would be a task that my iMac could handle pretty darned well. Make sense? Ok, well the friend has this Samsung mp3 player (I forget which one but its really thin and completely black). He was using it to stream audio content from the player to the FM radio. The thing is though, that it just looked so clumsy in comparison to the ways it can be done on an iPod. He had a Belkin FM radio thing for the mp3 player but had to hold the player in one hand, and that reciever in his other. :rolleyes:

Ok, now onto the computer. Well this was quite a lot for the average Joe (haha) to get his head around. He had two Windows machines (having just upgraded from a version of Windows 2000 that he had from his workplace, to Windows XP MCE (yes I know, only just). He had only one keyboard and monitor, so used that, and somehow the computers were linked to one another, probably via ehternet cable or something. He was showing me how he could suddenly be in one computer and then by pressing ctrl 2 2 (or something to that effect) he was in the other machines' OS.

You wouldn't believe the wires with this complicated setup. :rolleyes: And the amount of reconfiguration it required, something I couldn't care to grasp. The only good thing about the computers was that he had enough sense to use Firefox:p .

The other thing was his samsung players' audio software. Clunky is not the word. It was 10 times worse. (I've only ever had an iPod so haven't really seen the alternatives), but he even had an iTunes skin on the jukebox, the cheek of it :eek: .I love even more now how the iPod just updates for you automatically and you don't have to manually manage if you don't want. I took this thing for granted and I'm sure people who are only used to the Apple (better) way do too.

He's the sort of bloke that should have gone to an Apple Store and he wouldn't regret it I'm sure.

Also, his new PC cost under £300. For a full desktop. I read somewhere how if you get a cheap computer, you ask for trouble. Well its true. Things are very complicated as well. It made me look forward to using my 24" iMac, and made me think myself lucky I was in a position to buy one as well.

Ok thats the end of my rant(ish). Sorry if you thought I sounded cocky.:eek:

:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
He was also probably using Synergy to control his computers nothing new there and is easily done on a mac also. I'm usually glad im using a mac because i see at least two computer errors in my lab or lectures (Windows based) everyday and see some peoples' 4000 report converted to a code of boxes and circles.

These are the times i'm glad i use a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.