PDA

View Full Version : happy happy switcher


question fear
May 30, 2003, 02:26 PM
So I've had my iBook about a week, and I am really really loving it. Its taken a few days to get used to the gui and os, but i think it looks soooo much nicer than windows.
and i love that it hasnt crashed.
so amazing.
anyhow, one amusing point: ive read a lot on these forums about pc users slamming macs, but ive had some great experiences (with the exception of one friend who had a mac when he wsa a kid and never quite got over the trauma or something...personally, i think anything upsetting from the 80s should be left there.) anyhow, what i find interesting is how many of them are intimidated by it, not snotty. they have this idea that macs are in some way more advanced or more complex than their pc, and they are impressed when i show them how easy it is to use.
anyhow, yea. just wanted to babble for a moment about my 900mhz beauty. (which, leaving the mhz myth and debate aside, is 3x as fast as my pentium II? that was in my old computer)

sethwerkheiser
May 30, 2003, 02:28 PM
I got one, too. Last Friday. I love it so much.

iShater
May 30, 2003, 02:29 PM
Congratulations, my 800Mhz 12" iBook is also a week old! And I absolutely love it, and already started hearing wise-cracks from my PC-centric friends, but I tell ya, I think they are all just jealous ;)

question fear
May 30, 2003, 02:33 PM
the ibook is just so cute! i love making my dell and compaq loving roommates jealous because two ibooks is still smaller than one of their compaqs (sitting flat and closed. you know what i mean)
and the glowing apple is great.

iShater
May 30, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by sethwerkheiser
I got one, too. Last Friday. I love it so much.

Wow, we all switched on Friday. :D

Good job!! *pats self and others on the back*

scem0
Jun 1, 2003, 12:58 PM
Wow, everyone has an iBook except for me :o. Y'all don't want to buy one for me do y'all. Or a powermac, or a iMac, or a powerbook. Anything?!?!? nothing!?!! You guys are killing me.

Ok, back to reality.

question fear
Jun 1, 2003, 01:31 PM
haha. while buying you a mac would be a nice thing to do, i dont have the $$, sorry...and actually, i bought the ibook with money culled from lots of relatives for my college graduation...so my advice is be the oldest grandchild in your family on both sides. yea. then yr sure to get a mac! :-P
hey, random question, since theres a few other 900mhz ibookers on this thread-have any of you noticed that if you are charging your ibook while its asleep,a nd then you wake it up, the led glows green and it stops charging until it is disconnected, the battery drops a percent, and then it can be reconnected and charged? Ive had this problem more than once and cant pinpoint why.
any thoughts?
--carly

MacFan25
Jun 1, 2003, 02:37 PM
wow, it looks like there has been a lot of switcher just in the past couple weeks. conrgats on your purchases! :)

visor
Jun 1, 2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by question fear

anyhow, yea. just wanted to babble for a moment about my 900mhz beauty. (which, leaving the mhz myth and debate aside, is 3x as fast as my pentium II? that was in my old computer)

yeah, I know, I got an ibook by the end of last year, it runs nicely most of the time. Very good at falling asleep and waking up again.
I especially like the low noise production and comparatively long battery live.
It's quite stable as long as you don'Ät need advances networking features combined with mobility - this really pulls the plug.
it also sometimes feels slower than my 500mhz p3.
As for the Megaherz myth. the g3 can hardly compare to an x86 running at the same speed. It is, you'll find that out, slower. I don't know if its poor software optimizing, or slow hard disk or whatever - but to me, it just feels slower on every day work.

the aqua interface , while not beeing especally pretty, does provide a nice interface, making many things very easy to handle.

maradong
Jun 1, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by visor
yeah, I know, I got an ibook by the end of last year, it runs nicely most of the time. Very good at falling asleep and waking up again.
I especially like the low noise production and comparatively long battery live.
It's quite stable as long as you don'Ät need advances networking features combined with mobility - this really pulls the plug.
it also sometimes feels slower than my 500mhz p3.
As for the Megaherz myth. the g3 can hardly compare to an x86 running at the same speed. It is, you'll find that out, slower. I don't know if its poor software optimizing, or slow hard disk or whatever - but to me, it just feels slower on every day work.

the aqua interface , while not beeing especally pretty, does provide a nice interface, making many things very easy to handle.

at the same clock speed, the ppc cpu is faster than the x86 cpu.ppc uses a parrallel usage of the frequency, that means that many processes are running in the same time. while with x86, the processes are changed very fast....
if it feels slower than you p3 500 , id restart :D , free some ram, check the permissons, an try to reconfigure some basic things.
good luck. :D

question fear
Jun 1, 2003, 05:41 PM
It's quite stable as long as you don'Ät need advances networking features combined with mobility - this really pulls the plug.

what do you mean by advanced networking features? I've found mine to be a champ so far, switching w/out a hitch between two wireless networks (we switched from a linksys wireless router to a d-link b/c the roommate who owned the linksys moved out)...
as for networking computer to computer it took me roughly a day to figure out the best way to network my mac with my old pc (via the wireless network and shared folders) to move mp3s and doc files.
And as for mobility, I havent had any troubles....its not as light as a powerbook, but its still much lighter than most comparable pc laptops (i work at best buy and see/price tag the beasts every day)...
so I am curious what you mean...are you referring to speed or battery life or both? i havent had a problem with either....

nagromme
Jun 19, 2003, 01:51 AM
Congratulations.

Different can be scary for some! But exciting too.

I was not a big Mac fan in the 80s/early 90s, but I'm glad I switched for sure.

MacBandit
Jun 19, 2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by maradong
at the same clock speed, the ppc cpu is faster than the x86 cpu.ppc uses a parrallel usage of the frequency, that means that many processes are running in the same time. while with x86, the processes are changed very fast....
if it feels slower than you p3 500 , id restart :D , free some ram, check the permissons, an try to reconfigure some basic things.
good luck. :D

Another tip for laptop users is if you're going to compare the speed of your laptop to your desktop be sure to plug it into the wall first. With nearly every laptop on the market and I know with Apples for sure unplugging them from the wall immediately sends them into a low power mode.