PDA

View Full Version : "The Matrix" is a cheap rip-off of "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors"


Tequila Grandma
May 30, 2003, 02:40 PM
A friend and I were viewing the arthouse cinema classic "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors" (from world-renowned director Chuck Russel) last night, and we came to the conclusion that in preparation for writing "The Matrix", the Wachowski Brothers not only closely studied "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors" -- they flat out stole the film's idea and all of its characters.

"The Matrix", much like "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors", features characters who enter a dreamworld, and fight for the right to live in the real world. In this dreamworld, there are frightening adversaries who can manipulate the dreamworld in various ways -- in "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors", this adversary is a demonic burned serial killer with a craving for the souls of children. "The Matrix" clearly copied this by creating the characters of "the agents", people who, like the antagonist of "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors", don't hesitate to kill someone if they're in their way, and crave the life energy of children (as well as adults). Coincidence? I THINK NO.

In "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors", our trusty protagonist is an everyday child psychologist named "Neil". You'll notice that "The Matrix" makes reference to the "Neil" character with the slighty different (so they wouldn't get sued) "Neo".

In "The Matrix", a chosen magical individual known as "the one" is able to manipulate the dream world, thus saving everyone else with massive magical power. This is an obvious copy of the character in Kristen in "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors", played with true emotion by Patricia Arquette. Kristen is referred to by the other "dream warriors" as "the key", the mystical figure that can manipulate the dreamworld and set all of them free.

Also, "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors" features a nun dressed in white. This nun walks around talking about god this and gang rape that -- exactly like that ****ing oracle.

"The Matrix": original my ass! Give credit where credit is due -- and this time, credit is due to "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors".

Arigato,
Brook

evil
May 30, 2003, 03:17 PM
i havent seen the new matrix yet. but youre observations are quite interesting.

also, nightmare on elm street 3 is excellent. one of the best of the series

Kid Red
May 30, 2003, 03:51 PM
Cheap rip off? I think not. You have have discovered a few similarites, be them coincidental or porposeful makes not matter to the fact that the matrix 2 is not cheap. The movie rocked whether you listen to these few children who didn't like it or not.

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
Cheap rip off? I think not. You have have discovered a few similarites, be them coincidental or porposeful makes not matter to the fact that the matrix 2 is not cheap. The movie rocked whether you listen to these few children who didn't like it or not.

i'll second that

sturm375
May 30, 2003, 04:09 PM
First of all, it isn't cheap. $100 million for a movie is not cheap by any streach of the imagination.

Secondly, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, though good, does not compare to the quality movie that The Matrix was. Although The Matrix Reloaded was a little lower quality than the origional (IMHO), still not down to NES: 3.

Lastly, Give credit where credit is due, I believe it was DesCarts(sp?) or some other great thinker way back (were talking thousands of years here) that first brought up the questionability of "reality." This is where these movies get their ideas.

GeneR
May 30, 2003, 04:21 PM
I guess now I'm going to have to go rent Nightmare on Elm Street 1 -3. I've never seen them. Had hard enough time living through Poltergeist and The Shining. heh! ;)

mymemory
May 30, 2003, 04:24 PM
"Nightmare on Elm Street 3" is one of the things we should keep back in the 80's.

Matrix can look to a lot of things, Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is not one of them I think. I was talking just today with a friend of mine and he mention parts from books from another authors.

At this point it is very hard to create something different from something previous. In the fight between good and evil there are no many places to go.

scem0
May 30, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by sturm375
First of all, it isn't cheap. $100 million for a movie is not cheap by any streach of the imagination.

Secondly, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, though good, does not compare to the quality movie that The Matrix was. Although The Matrix Reloaded was a little lower quality than the origional (IMHO), still not down to NES: 3.

Lastly, Give credit where credit is due, I believe it was DesCarts(sp?) or some other great thinker way back (were talking thousands of years here) that first brought up the questionability of "reality." This is where these movies get their ideas.

I don't think he is saying that it is of less quality, I think he is saying that the Wichousky Brothers should have credited Nightmare on Elmstreet 3 somewhere.

Those are some interesting connections.

jethroted
May 30, 2003, 04:44 PM
Nice try there guy. Last time I checked Freddy was an old perv who was burned in a furnace. Also he would be of the "ghost" classification making it impossible to really kill him, since he is already dead. Agent smith is a program ment to resmble a secrect service agent. He unlike Freddy is not an imortal ghost, but rather is a computer program, and therfore can be deleted. They also look nothing alike.

Now, if we are going to talk about movies ripping off movies, them lets talk about how nightmare on elm steet part 3 ripped off Star wars. Darth vader is really Freddy, han solo is neo, trinity is chewbacca, mopheus is yoda, luke skywalker is an ewok, obi wan is samuel jackson, freddy's mother is natalie portman. If you can't see all this, then you need your brain examined.

scem0
May 30, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
Nice try there guy. Last time I checked Freddy was an old perv who was burned in a furnace. Also he would be of the "ghost" classification making it impossible to really kill him, since he is already dead. Agent smith is a program ment to resmble a secrect service agent. He unlike Freddy is not an imortal ghost, but rather is a computer program, and therfore can be deleted. They also look nothing alike.

He didn't say EVERYTHING was EXACTLY alike. He said there were similarities that shouldn't go without mention.

Flowbee
May 30, 2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by scem0
He didn't say EVERYTHING was EXACTLY alike. He said there were similarities that shouldn't go without mention.

You're both wrong. He actually said "The Matrix is a cheap rip-off of A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors" (the title of this thread) and then proceded to try and back it up by pointing out similarities.

scem0
May 30, 2003, 06:02 PM
ah, I didn't see that. Well, I still don't think he was trying to say it didn't have a large production budget.

Roger1
May 30, 2003, 06:15 PM
Freddie vs Jason comes out August 15. I wonder who will win?? Bet it will be a slashfest!!:D

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/freddy_vs_jason/

scem0
May 30, 2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Roger1
Freddie vs Jason comes out August 15. I wonder who will win?? Bet it will be a slashfest!!:D

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/freddy_vs_jason/
talk about stupid... :rolleyes:

Roger1
May 30, 2003, 06:25 PM
talk about stupid...

Come on! Two of the best slasher films combined! The blood will be everywhere (don't forget everybody will die a suitably creative death)!

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 07:36 PM
windows is a cheap imitation of the mac os....

scem0
May 30, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
windows is a cheap imitation of the mac os....

that is a great paradign I wish I had though of.

Windows is cheap in the way that it was copied from other OS's, and yet millions of dollars have been put into making it.

pseudobrit
May 30, 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Roger1
Freddie vs Jason comes out August 15. I wonder who will win?? Bet it will be a slashfest!!:D

Two of my friends were talking about this movie. Here's how the conversation went.

W: Did you see the previews for that Jason v. Freddie movie?
Z: Yeah.
W: It might actually be pretty good.
Z: Think about it, William.
W: (with resignation) Ahhh, yeah, you're right...

:D Priceless!!

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
Two of my friends were talking about this movie. Here's how the conversation went.

W: Did you see the previews for that Jason v. Freddie movie?
Z: Yeah.
W: It might actually be pretty good.
Z: Think about it, William.
W: (with resignation) Ahhh, yeah, you're right...

:D Priceless!!

lol:D

taeclee99
May 30, 2003, 09:36 PM
The Matrix was more similar to Dark City in my opinion than NEM3.

hacurio1
May 30, 2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by sturm375
First of all, it isn't cheap. $100 million for a movie is not cheap by any streach of the imagination.

Secondly, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, though good, does not compare to the quality movie that The Matrix was. Although The Matrix Reloaded was a little lower quality than the origional (IMHO), still not down to NES: 3.

Lastly, Give credit where credit is due, I believe it was DesCarts(sp?) or some other great thinker way back (were talking thousands of years here) that first brought up the questionability of "reality." This is where these movies get their ideas.

Right you are! Philosophers in ancient Greek honored this question by writing poems and texts that challenged this ultimate dilemma well beyond what they knew as real; one of these philosophers was Plato. Plato (lived about 427-347 B.C) was an idealist that explains reality in one of his Books “The Allegory of the Cave” as forms and ideas. These Forms and ideas are then interpreted and compared by humans to what they know; therefore, Plato states that reality is relative and the only way to come close to the truth is with knowledge. Matrix anyone.
The truth is that this idea is as old as humans’ thoughts. As soon as humans began questioning their world the question of, "what is real?" came. It is no surprise few movies have used this as a way of entertaining, MIB I(at the end), the Matrix, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, they all use what we normally perceived as real and turn it into a interesting theme worth a movie. The Matrix is not a rip off; it’s a movie in its own class. Yes, there are some similarities, but how can you portrait this old human question of, “what is reality?” without avoiding them.

jethroted
May 30, 2003, 11:54 PM
hmm. not very obsevant are we.

Tequila Grandma
May 31, 2003, 02:54 AM
Ahhh, thank you so much everyone. I've been trying to get people to seriously respond to this ridiculousness for a while now, and you're the first to do it :D

But even if my initial post is a somewhat elaborate joke that's obviously only funny to me, you must admit that the similarities between the two films are quite astounding! :eek: Morpheus himself even makes an appearance in "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3" as Max the orderly!

Of course, if any of you have yet to see "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3", I'd highly suggest you do so immediately. One of the most hilarious films of the 80's. It may not have the dog pissing fire that "Nightmare on Elm Street 4" has, but it makes up for it with one of the most humorously bizarre murder sequences ever put into a mainstream Hollywood film from the 1980's.

Arigato,
Brook

iMook
May 31, 2003, 11:43 AM
I second sturm375 and hacurio1, before saying that the Matrix concept was a ripoff of a movie you've seen before, please don't try to assume that any modern movie has an original philosophical basis. Seriously, in the few millenia of Western philosophy, Ithink basically every "whoa" concept has been thoroughly discussed and debated and beaten to death.

Descartes (Day- CAR): French philosopher and mathematician, view on reality; I think, therefore I am.: invented the Cartesian coordinate system, purportedly after seeing a fly near a corner of the his bedroom wall (while bedridden, which he often was) and realizing that he could define the fly's position by its distance from each joint (intersection of two walls)

Roger1
May 31, 2003, 08:25 PM
Two of my friends were talking about this movie. Here's how the conversation went.

W: Did you see the previews for that Jason v. Freddie movie?
Z: Yeah.
W: It might actually be pretty good.
Z: Think about it, William.
W: (with resignation) Ahhh, yeah, you're right...

Priceless!!
C'mon people! Cut me some slack! I'm al child of the '80's :cool:

P-Worm
Jun 1, 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Roger1
Freddie vs Jason comes out August 15. I wonder who will win?? Bet it will be a slashfest!!:D

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/freddy_vs_jason/

I still don't understand how this will work. How can two people that can't die fight each other to the death? They should have joined forces...

P-Worm

Foxer
Jun 2, 2003, 09:48 AM
I've never seen any of the Elm Street movies, nor have I seen Matix 2. However, I alwasy thought the original Matrix movie borrowed not a little from Tron.

Now I'm not saying that Tron is better than the Matirx, just that there are similarities.

Actually I think both movies stink.

medea
Jun 2, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
Now, if we are going to talk about movies ripping off movies, them lets talk about how nightmare on elm steet part 3 ripped off Star wars. Darth vader is really Freddy, han solo is neo, trinity is chewbacca, mopheus is yoda, luke skywalker is an ewok, obi wan is samuel jackson, freddy's mother is natalie portman. If you can't see all this, then you need your brain examined.
Um hey, but are you trying to make sense here? first you say nem3 is like star wars and compare Freddy to Vader, then move on to all Matrix characters.....what the.....

But seriously, though NME 3 might not be the best example to use, The Matrix is defintely not very original, it's ripped off from tons of comics and movies such as Metropolis, Tron and even Dark City (those evil squid-like/spider robot things remind me of the scene where one of the "Strangers" is removed from the head of its carrier.)
The whole concept of the Matrix is derivative.