PDA

View Full Version : Some Airlines to start charging for food

synergy
May 30, 2003, 02:41 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030529/airlines_usairways_food_2.html

Skip that.
I will pack my own lunch.
Lamers better let me bring my own food than pay their crappy prices.

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 02:51 PM
I don't see that the airlines are in a position to be taking away some of the perks of flying. Don't see this trial balloon lasting very long. In the past they have raised prices only to retract, because of the disatisfaction of customers. IF they force the issue, they should charge the wealty also. They First Class passenger should also pay a higher price, service has a cost! :(

MacFan25
May 30, 2003, 02:58 PM
I guess that they are just trying to save more money. I bet that a lot of people wont eat on the plane, if they have to pay for it.

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 06:26 PM
wow southwest is going to charge for a bag of peanuts:D

CMillerERAU
May 30, 2003, 06:47 PM
I think its a great idea. All I hear about is people complaining about loosing food service but before all this talk people complained about the airlines wasting money feeding people who woudl rather not eat the airline food! In this day in age airlines are trying to cut anything and everythign out to get the lowest fare. If you really gotta have food then either pay for it (its not like you wont' have the option) or bring something better with you! Last time I flew I packed a Quizzno's sub and had the entire cabin drooling over it, the airline didn't care.

Ugg
May 30, 2003, 07:41 PM
Who wants to eat economy class food anyway? First class is fine and I would pay for it their, but not economy. Ok, I've only flown 1st 3 times... But, I have given up on airline food and do like CMillerErau and bring my own. A sub, big bottle of water, piece of fruit and some munchies. I would much rather pay the extra and buy before I board than put up with the glop they serve.

Then you can eat when you want, it's much better that way.

pivo6
May 30, 2003, 07:56 PM
The only problem with bringing food on the plane, is that you better bring it from home because food at the airport isn't cheap.

CMillerERAU
May 30, 2003, 08:03 PM
Plus, now that the airlines has to earn your dollars for food, the quality will improve dramatically. They'll have room to put more food on each tray since they would carry fewer meals and will make an extra effort to increase quality. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll get the equivalent to today's 1st class meals in coach in a few years. However, just like a hotel, they'll charge an arm and a leg for food simply because there are few places to pull over for a snack at 30,000 feet.

scem0
May 30, 2003, 08:29 PM
as if anyone would pay for airplane food... :rolleyes:

I'd just bring some Ramen. ;)

pivo6
May 30, 2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by scem0
as if anyone would pay for airplane food... :rolleyes:

I'd just bring some Ramen. ;)

You had better bring your own bowl. I couldn't see you trying to break a brick into those plastic cups.:D

mactastic
May 30, 2003, 11:03 PM
As long as they don't start making us rent parachutes!

bcsimac
May 31, 2003, 10:14 AM
It doesn't bother me. I didn't eat anything at the airport or on the plane much anyway. In fact, I have a tendency not to eat when traveling either by air, boat, or car. Actually, I have a tendency to forget to eat when I am busy or got something on my mind. I used to get in a lot of trouble with bosses for forgetting to take lunch breaks. I would just work and work and work without even thinking about eating something. When I was younger, my dad used to make me work all day without eating until the job was done. I became so used to it that I got a whole day without eating and not even think about it. My fiance' is trying to break this habit. She said it is bad for me. Anyway, like I said I am not bothered by the fact that the airlines are charging for their food. I don't eat it anyway.

eyelikeart
May 31, 2003, 10:32 AM
I usually bring a protein bar of some sort with me & just take the free diet coke... ;)

tazo
May 31, 2003, 12:57 PM
dont the airlines already charge for the food? its called a ticket.

tazo
May 31, 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by CMillerERAU
I think its a great idea. All I hear about is people complaining about loosing food service but before all this talk people complained about the airlines wasting money feeding people who woudl rather not eat the airline food! In this day in age airlines are trying to cut anything and everythign out to get the lowest fare. If you really gotta have food then either pay for it (its not like you wont' have the option) or bring something better with you! Last time I flew I packed a Quizzno's sub and had the entire cabin drooling over it, the airline didn't care.

Oooh just what everyone on a plane wants. a 30 dollar sub. quiznos is the biggest ripoff ever. its 6 dollars for a 4inch sub, I will take subway thank you very much, a footlong combo meal is less then a 4 inch sub from quiznos.

Kwyjibo
May 31, 2003, 03:38 PM
I don't know where your from but I worked at a quiznoes for about a year and a half.... its expensive but the prices are and were ( I live in a good suburb out of chicago)
4.5 inch 3.99 small
8inch 4.99 medium
12inch 6.99 large

These were right in the middle of the national range for prices from alll the literature i read on the topic. The sizes were uniform nation wide and the most popular size was always regular. I never cared cause my food was free man i miss the chili and the mesquite chicken sub......

tazo
May 31, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I don't know where your from but I worked at a quiznoes for about a year and a half.... its expensive but the prices are and were ( I live in a good suburb out of chicago)
4.5 inch 3.99 small
8inch 4.99 medium
12inch 6.99 large

These were right in the middle of the national range for prices from alll the literature i read on the topic. The sizes were uniform nation wide and the most popular size was always regular. I never cared cause my food was free man i miss the chili and the mesquite chicken sub......

for 4 dollars from quiznos you get 4''. from subway you get a 6''. a footlong is about 5.00

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I usually bring a protein bar of some sort with me & just take the free diet coke... ;)

They probably will end up charging you for the Coke & ice eyelikeart! :(

Wardofsky
May 31, 2003, 09:44 PM
I always check my airline food before eating it, the last time I didn't check, it went for my finger.

Hey guys, "What's the deal with airline food?"

Eh.
Eh..
Eh...

synergy
Jun 1, 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by tazo
dont the airlines already charge for the food? its called a ticket.

Apparently some want to go above and beyond that and start charging for the food as well. They just started charging for the alcohol.

I don't think they governments should be giving these poorly run corporations loan guarantees. Let the fat pigs go bankrupt. Something better will come in and replace them.
If they can't reform their business model, let them fail.

Giaguara
Jun 1, 2003, 04:40 PM
in europe there are many airlines that have cheap fares - with only transport. so e.g. take london - amsterdam, or dublin - london, or london - paris or london - milan and the price is 1 euro (about 1 $) or 1 pound. (and tax).

the snack can be like 10 $, but no one freaks out if you don't buy that or bring your own.

compared to normal airlines, those fares go from 100 (rare!!) to 500 $ for the same flights. so i would rather use the plain flight, and once i am in the destination, go and get some sushi. plane meals make me sick anyway, especially if there is some bread.

wdlove
Jun 1, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by synergy
Apparently some want to go above and beyond that and start charging for the food as well. They just started charging for the alcohol.

I don't think they governments should be giving these poorly run corporations loan guarantees. Let the fat pigs go bankrupt. Something better will come in and replace them.
If they can't reform their business model, let them fail.

Good ole corporate welfare. Since we are giving them millions and as such we as taxpayers have become partners, an investment. I think that when they begin to turn a profit they should return some of that to us the taxpayer as a return on our investment. They just never seem to remember that help. It's terrible that they never forget to ask for a handout though!

Ugg
Jun 1, 2003, 08:53 PM
Ah, but they will. When the US bailed out Chrysler the US made $300 million in profit because the bailout was essentially an equity stake in Chrysler. The same with the airlines bailouts although the majority of assistance consists of loan guarantees.

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Ugg
Ah, but they will. When the US bailed out Chrysler the US made $300 million in profit because the bailout was essentially an equity stake in Chrysler. The same with the airlines bailouts although the majority of assistance consists of loan guarantees.

So where is our equity stake in the airlines? It's good to see that we had a success story in Chrysler!

robbieduncan
Jun 2, 2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Giaguara
in europe there are many airlines that have cheap fares - with only transport. so e.g. take london - amsterdam, or dublin - london, or london - paris or london - milan and the price is 1 euro (about 1 $) or 1 pound. (and tax).

the snack can be like 10 $, but no one freaks out if you don't buy that or bring your own.

compared to normal airlines, those fares go from 100 (rare!!) to 500 $ for the same flights. so i would rather use the plain flight, and once i am in the destination, go and get some sushi. plane meals make me sick anyway, especially if there is some bread.

In my experience the budget airlines are rubbish. I have flown with EasyJet about 6 times and been delayed 5 times! The airports they fly from/to are not the main ones and are often a pain to get to (Luton is not in London!). In addition at the times I fly (often Friday night out and Sunday night back) the fairs charged by the so called budget airlines are often more than those charged by BA - and on BA you get free food + beer + travel from a decent airport. In addition I have travelled a lot with BA and only been delayed 2-3 times (20-30 flights). That said Lufthansa are the best. Only 4-6 flights with them but never delayed and nice food as well as good service.

NavyIntel007
Jun 2, 2003, 04:34 PM
I think it's great. Maybe this way I'll have an option to eat. I fly AirTran and I'm lucky if I get pretzels, but hey it's cheap.

I'd rather have an option to have food than not at all. I'd be willing to pay for a bag of chips or a sandwich if the prices were reasonable. Now if they start preventing you from bringing food on... there will be hell to pay.

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 06:32 PM
Maybe when Virgin Airlines buys 49% of an American Airlines, Richard Branson will improve the service. Does anyone know his views on airline service?