PDA

View Full Version : Panther vs. Longhorn: The Rematch

macmax
May 30, 2003, 02:49 PM
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1112787,00.asp

maradong
May 30, 2003, 03:46 PM
lol ?
actually they can do what they want, they will never reach the level of os x. certainly not.
the only positive point xp and it s successor will have is the concurrent logins. that s really a feature i d like to see in panther

Steradian
May 30, 2003, 05:09 PM
Hmm. something is fishy :confused:

trebblekicked
May 31, 2003, 02:08 AM
wow. the mac lobby is a the true definition of "vocal minority". for being such a small percentage of end users, we make a lot of noise when we feel slighted.

i liked the fact the article mentions the specific issues with osx (mulitple log ins/desktops, responsiveness, boot times, etc). i like where OS X is, and i like where it could go. i was sick of windows by win'98. i have no reason to change back.

jethroted
May 31, 2003, 09:41 AM
Rematch? There is no rematch. I'm running longhorn right now, and it doesn't even compete with osx 10.0.0. It's like that little dog on the kibbles n' Bits comercial. jumping around, trying to be cool, but spike is like "dog, get outta here before i eat you for lunch."

maradong
May 31, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by jethroted
Rematch? There is no rematch. I'm running longhorn right now, and it doesn't even compete with osx 10.0.0. It's like that little dog on the kibbles n' Bits comercial. jumping around, trying to be cool, but spike is like "dog, get outta here before i eat you for lunch."
well certainly. But well, comparing an alpha with a final os is quite simplistic as a test.

AppleMatt
May 31, 2003, 11:15 AM
Windows alphas and betas are interesting, they seem to go forward, then backward, then finally forward again, but never as much as the original, in my opinion.

OT: How does Microsoft Watch get away with THREE adverts on article pages, doesn't it bother anyone?

A banner at the top of pages is fine, you see it before the page finishes loading, so they get their exposure, and you can read the page uninterrupted, on Microsoft Watch they've got animated adverts flashing and bouncing right in the middle of the articles! I just want to read something without being brainwashed and distracted.

AppleMatt

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 11:19 AM
I didn't really think that there was any real contest between Panther and Longhorn. Maybe by the time it comes out Longhorn will be at the levelof 10.1! :p

bennetsaysargh
May 31, 2003, 08:49 PM
i think that by the time apple goets to 10.5, loghorn will be living up to 10.1 or even 10.0!

MorganX
Jun 1, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
I didn't really think that there was any real contest between Panther and Longhorn. Maybe by the time it comes out Longhorn will be at the levelof 10.1! :p

Who's playing catch up? Maybe iTunes in Panther will support CD-Text.

Let's be realistic. There's a lot OS X needs, there's a lot Windows needs. They are just different. One isn't inherently better than the other. One performs inherently better, but hopefully Panther will fix that.

I'm looking forward to both. Moreso to panther. With VPC 6, a little more OS X optimization, FW800, and a 970 and I can't see that I'll ever need a "Real PC" again, provided pricing is reasonable.

pseudobrit
Jun 1, 2003, 11:07 AM
If Apple sticks to a yearly cycle of product updates between now and 2005, it will be going on Mac OS X 10.5 by the time Longhorn delivers GUI enhancements and other features designed to take on Mac OS X 10.2.

Zing! What a point!

job
Jun 1, 2003, 11:12 AM
I've started to find it slightly amusing that as Mac users we have occasionally bashed MS's timely updates to Windows every couple of years, updates that PC users were forced into, either due to software support or just plain ignorance.

Yet here we are, drooling over annual Mac OS updates?! Not to tick of the Mac zealots here, but are we going to have to shell out $129 for a new Mac OS every year? Or are the "odd" upgrades (i.e. 10.3) going to be free as they have been in the past (i.e. 10.1)?

bennetsaysargh
Jun 1, 2003, 11:17 AM
i sure hope that odd updates will be free, but i think that panther will be 50bucks or something like that. im broke:(

AppleMatt
Jun 1, 2003, 12:18 PM
No no no! The priced/free upgrade argument again! Nooooooooooooo...

Good point about CD-Text in iTunes, although I'm always connected so get all info from the CDDB.

AppleMatt

bennetsaysargh
Jun 1, 2003, 02:34 PM
can someone explain the cd-text feature to me?

KingDanimus
Jun 1, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by jethroted

If you are running longhorn right now you are certainly not anywhere near the release version. Just a visual skin based on screenshots.

MorganX
Jun 1, 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
can someone explain the cd-text feature to me?

CD-text is a standard for burning track info onto CDs. Practically all consumer playback devices support CD-text now.

When you put your burned CD into you stereo's DVD player you see track names, artist, and title.

Every modern burning app writes Cd-text except for iTunes.

MorganX
Jun 1, 2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by KingDanimus
If you are running longhorn right now you are certainly not anywhere near the release version. Just a visual skin based on screenshots.

Current builds of longhorn don't have the composting engine at all. It's not even leaked, because it doesn't actually exist yet.

ouketii
Jun 1, 2003, 11:02 PM
you are all forgeting the most important, and obvious thing here, people: longhorn...its windows...eew

AppleMatt
Jun 2, 2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by KingDanimus

Wrong, it is very possbile he is running the alpha build of Longhorn.

AppleMatt

AppleMatt
Jun 2, 2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by MorganX
Current builds of longhorn don't have the composting engine at all. It's not even leaked, because it doesn't actually exist yet.

Correct! Microsoft are really taking their time (and users system resources) for this one.

AppleMatt

68k_575
Jun 2, 2003, 09:20 AM
As innovative as Longhorn may seem, it'll probably turn out to be just another Mac ripoff. I've seen it, and it's insane how many ideas it takes and then screws up.

sturm375
Jun 2, 2003, 08:31 PM
I for one, am going to get out of the window's digital rights crap. I am going to Linux when Palladium(sp?) comes out.