PDA

View Full Version : WinAmp is...

Royal Pineapple
May 30, 2003, 04:58 PM
this is kinda funny

http://www.winamp.com/about.jhtml;$sessionid$WH4DM2HMGYAXU5YAAAARCZI

What is Winamp? A player you say? No, no baby. Winamp is much more than that.

Winamp is a lifestyle. It is freestyle. Give me a word. Versatility? Yeah. Visionary? Of course. Community? Now you're talking.

Winamp lives because it's users have a life.

Winamp is in the coffee house. On the laptop. Of the guy. Who is writing the screenplay. That you will be watching next year.

Winamp is on the screen. In the club. Where the DJ plays the tracks. That get you through the night.

Winamp is with you. When you take your playlist. Push it to the ether. And share the music that you love. With all of humanity.

Winamp lets you put together the soundtrack. That runs in the background of your mind. And allows you to define your life.

Winamp is your skin. Allowing you to look and feel the way you want.

Winamp is what it is and nothing more. But you are the one who makes it. Winamp is there for you. It is yours. What happens next? You tell me. Download Winamp.

-jonathan "feel the love" ward

sparkleytone
May 30, 2003, 05:10 PM
winamp used to rock your socks. it used to be symbolic of a semisociety of people that bucked the norms and scoffed at record label oppression. then they were bought by aol, gnutella was forced to be dropped, and they laid out the dog of winamp 3.0. oh what a sad day. i used to love nullsoft man.

macguymike
May 30, 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple
Winamp is a lifestyle. It is freestyle. Give me a word. Versatility? Yeah. Visionary? Of course. Community? Now you're talking.

Sounds more like iTunes. In fact, pretty much all of this could be said of iTunes. Perhaps even moreso than Winamp. :D

Winamp lets you put together the soundtrack. That runs in the background of your mind. And allows you to define your life.

So nice of Winamp to allow me to definie my life. :rolleyes:

Winamp is your skin. Allowing you to look and feel the way you want.

See last comment.

scem0
May 30, 2003, 06:01 PM
ughhhhh I hate winamp. WMP is a lot better IMHO.

macguymike
May 30, 2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by scem0
ughhhhh I hate winamp. WMP is a lot better IMHO.

Boo to both of them. By the end of the year, WMP, Winamp and MM Jukebox will all be gathering dust on my PC.

Why? Simple.

iTunes for Windows.

mrjamin
May 30, 2003, 06:13 PM
WA3 does suck.

i love WA2 - by itself its crap, but with the right plugins, you've got a very powerful beast ;)

scem0
May 30, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by macguymike
Boo to both of them. By the end of the year, WMP, Winamp and MM Jukebox will all be gathering dust on my PC.

Why? Simple.

iTunes for Windows.

I agree. I hope apple releases this sooner than later. I want it sooooooooo bad! ;)

wdlove
May 30, 2003, 08:46 PM
I agree. I hope apple releases this sooner than later. I want it sooooooooo bad! ;)

For you scem0, I hope that Steve will announce the the Windows version at WWDC. If that's not the plan then maybe at the MWNY Pro Conference! :cool:

scem0
May 30, 2003, 08:48 PM
WWDC seems too soon. I bet it will be at MWNY or later.

funkywhat2
May 30, 2003, 08:52 PM
What MWNY? Why would they annouvce it there? I thought they wern't going.

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 08:55 PM
i likw winamp...itunes doesnt play videos

scem0
May 30, 2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2

I didn't mean at the expo. I just meant around that time.

bcsimac
May 30, 2003, 11:12 PM
Before iTunes and SoundJam, I used WinAmp the beta version for Mac. it was ok for a beta application and a limited one at that..........I do miss the old Nullsoft.....before they were bought by AOL.

funkywhat2
May 30, 2003, 11:16 PM
I didn't mean at the expo. I just meant around that time.

Oh, in that case, I agree. :D

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2

They are calling it MacWorld Creative Pro Conference & Expo, being held in NYC at the Jacob Javits Center July 14 - 18, 2003. Apple is listed as an exhibiotr at the World Class Exposition. There will be and "Apple Feature Presentation" on Wednesday , July 16 9:30am to continue its long standing tradition. No indication of who will be speaking yet though!

MacFan25
May 31, 2003, 07:08 PM
iTunes is definitley better than Winamp, imo. I think that iTunes for Windows will be a sucess!

I wonder if Steve Jobs will be presenting a Keynote at the MWNY Pro Conference. :confused:

Steradian
May 31, 2003, 08:49 PM
O do pay attention ;) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21885 questions can be anwsered here

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 09:18 PM
i can't believe you guys trash winamp like this. it doesn't matter that you think iTunes is better, that doesn't make winamp bad. winamp is very visually versatile, much moreso than iTiunes, and is a perfectly fine player. so it isn't for large music libraries. not everyone has a big music library. really, people, why must you diss it?

springscansing
May 31, 2003, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry, but contrary to what it says in that poem, whoever wrote it does NOT have a life. It's a ******* mp3 player man for ***** sake.

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by springscansing
I'm sorry, but contrary to what it says in that poem, whoever wrote it does NOT have a life. It's a ******* mp3 player man for ***** sake. lol. you took it seriously? he's using hyperbole, a sophisticated rhetorical style. granted, he's not using it with sophistication, but he is more than likely joking. if he knew you were coughing it up like this over it, he'd probably laugh at you.

medea
May 31, 2003, 09:45 PM
sorry but I never cared for winamp myself.

springscansing
May 31, 2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
lol. you took it seriously? he's using hyperbole, a sophisticated rhetorical style. granted, he's not using it with sophistication, but he is more than likely joking. if he knew you were coughing it up like this over it, he'd probably laugh at you.

**** you you **** ******* **** lady.

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 09:58 PM
i find it so striking that you all oppose this program so deeply. winamp is sort of a reason i switched to a mac. one of the things i love about macs and OS X is the aesthetic, the clean sense of it that apple has and the way they value it in making programs. winamp is sort of similar. its developers, with 3, allowed you to do all kinds of incredible stuff with your player window. free form was just so cool with all those incredible skins that graphic artists occasionally came out with. i really thought that some of them were great. it's stuff like that that made me see the value of looks in the OS and basically how much MS sucked at doing that. i never had but about 400 mp3s while i used it though, and i just pur them in a playlist in order by artist, album (chronologically), and track number. it worked great. i never observed any sound quality issues. what's the issue with it?

springscansing
May 31, 2003, 10:04 PM
Nonono, MAIL lady.