PDA

View Full Version : iPod nano, "do not disconnect" - for 24 hours?

hashilli
Feb 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
My (new) refurbed 8gig black nano has been plugged into my iMac for about 24 hours now, but still says 'do not disconnect' on the screen. I have not tried to sync music to it at all, I just wanted it to fully charge. It is plugged into the USB 2.0 port on the back, but not directly... I used this short USB cable that came with one of my memory sticks. I leave that dangling around so I don't have to get up and plug anything directly into the back of the computer everytime I need to... I've never had a problem using anything with the extension cable before.

Anything I should try before disconnecting it?

ezzie
Feb 21, 2007, 12:41 PM
is iTunes open?

if not, open iTunes, allow it to sync, then disconnect it. i have to do this every now and then...

hashilli
Feb 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
iTunes was open when I plugged it in and I went through the basic setup process. I closed iTunes, reopend it and synced an album playlist; that seems to have worked fine. Front of the iPod still says 'do not disconnect.' I am also being asked to update the iPod to 1.1.2, but don't want to fry it if the device is not ready to update yet cuz of something else... Like the battery not holding a charge...

tobefirst
Feb 21, 2007, 12:53 PM
Does it show up in Finder? Can you eject it from there?

hashilli
Feb 21, 2007, 12:55 PM
It shows in Finder and in iTunes as an attached iPod. I have not tried to eject it or disconnect it, cuz the iPod has said not to.

tobefirst
Feb 21, 2007, 12:56 PM
It shows in Finder and in iTunes as an attached iPod. I have not tried to eject it or disconnect it, cuz the iPod has said not to.

Click the little eject button next to the iPod in the Finder, and then "Do not Disconnect" should go away. Or just click eject in the source list in iTunes. You likely have your iPod set up in disk mode, which allows you to store files and such on it. If you want this functionality, you'll have to eject it every time.

ezzie
Feb 21, 2007, 12:56 PM
go ahead and try to eject it from iTunes...

tilman
Feb 21, 2007, 01:04 PM

When it says "Do not disconnect", it means "don't just yank the sync cable out without first clicking on the Eject icon in iTunes or the Finder". Once you do that, the "Do not disconnect" display should disappear.

hashilli
Feb 21, 2007, 01:04 PM
So the iPod just says 'do not disconnect' whenever it is attached as a device, and not cuz it was hungup on something... Ejecting and reattaching seemed to have worked without a hitch... thanks

hashilli
Feb 21, 2007, 01:05 PM
When it says "Do not disconnect", it means "don't just yank the sync cable out without first clicking on the Eject icon in iTunes or the Finder". Once you do that, the "Do not disconnect" display should disappear.

Thanks, just got that as you were typing your reply...

tobefirst
Feb 21, 2007, 01:08 PM
So the iPod just says 'do not disconnect' whenever it is attached as a device, and not cuz it was hungup on something... Ejecting and reattaching seemed to have worked without a hitch... thanks

Yup. That's exactly why. Glad you got it ejected and can use it now!

wwooden
Feb 21, 2007, 01:16 PM
If in iTunes is says "iPod Updated", then it is ok to hit the eject button. As someone else has said, most likely you have the iPod in disk mode as well where you can drag files to it from the computer like it were an external harddrive. It should be all set once you hit the eject buton.

For the future, iPod's are very resilient, sometimes mine locks up while syncing and I just unplug the iPod and reset it and it's back to normal.