PDA

View Full Version : MacOSX.com using 'Interstitials'

arn
May 30, 2003, 06:17 PM
MacOSX.com (a forum site) has started using 'Internstitial' ads... which are ads which display on a full page before allowing you to go on to the link you clicked on.

Interesting... interruptive. Gutsy move.

I'm a bit biased, being a site owner... my attitude is that you have to do what you have to do. If it bothers you enough, then stop visiting... :)

http://www.macosx.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=76

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32751

arn

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 07:27 PM
i hate them ads. please arn dont do it

arn
May 30, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
i hate them ads. please arn dont do it

heh... I'm not saying that we're going to do that...

but if the choice is:

a) shut down the site
b) put in whatever-annoying-ad

then the obvious choice is b.

arn

AtariST
May 31, 2003, 12:26 AM
The site seems to have been struggling quite a bit financially, and judging by its member statistics and services, hosting fees must be getting up there. Personally, I would find a more creative and less obtrusive method to gain revenue... but perhaps they already attempted such avenues.

I dislike how they force registration simply to read threads. (This seems to be a growing trend.)

arn
May 31, 2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by AtariST
The site seems to have been struggling quite a bit financially, and judging by its member statistics and services, hosting fees must be getting up there. Personally, I would find a more creative and less obtrusive method to gain revenue... but perhaps they already attempted such avenues.

true.... in general, though I think forum sites are a bit of a liability. Traffic/resource wise, they are very intensive... probably beyond the means you can actually earn money from by the forums itself. Most advertisers don't like forums-only. Too high a page-view to user ratio perhaps.

Though, I do think that they do help build loyalty to the site... as evidenced by this and spymac's forums.

arn