Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.C.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
I just got the new iMac the other day. Here's my problem, I installed AOL for OS X but skipped the sign up part because I already have an account with AOL, signed on with my original account user name and password. I hear the dial tone and it does connect me to AOL for about a minute and then it automatically disconnects me!!

What am I doing wrong here? and the AOL program seems to be quite slow, I even had to force quit it once.

Has anyone else had this problem before? please advise.

J.C.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The first thing you are doing wrong is using aohell. I don't go with ISP's that REQUIRE you to install their software onto your system in order to get online.

I would suggest you get aohell on the phone and see what they say to do. I say drop them like the rotten spud they are and go online with an ISP that works with your system software, and ANY browser that you choose. I KNOW that earthlink knows about OS X, and they can walk you through setting up to go online WITHOUT any additional software.

J.C.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Alright, alright, I'm switching to earthlink now how do I get rid of AOL from my HD. I tried to lookup uninstall for AOL but cannot find it anywhere. Please help me delete AOL. Oh by the way thanks for your advice AlphaTech :)

J.C.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Since when do macs need uninstallers? Just find the application and all files associated with it and delete them. Just becareful that they are not shared.

-Pete

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by ptrauber
Since when do macs need uninstallers? Just find the application and all files associated with it and delete them. Just becareful that they are not shared.

-Pete

That's pretty much all you need to do. I would suggest doing a search for aol with sherlock. Be careful of what you delete as well. If you use AIM, there could be some shared resources.

J.C.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Wow, that's all? You'll have to excuse me, but this is my first mac product and I love it!

Is there a way to determine if a file is shared or should I just cross my fingers while I delete these files? Since my computer is very new, I only installed AOL and I do have AIM, I believe that the files is/should not be shared with any other applications.

Thanks,
J.C.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you only just started using AIM, and your buddy list is either small, or not there yet, then don't worry. I would suggest using Fire (freeware and available via http://www.versiontracker.com, just search for fire) since it supports AIM, as well as five other chat engines (I use it instead of the others under OS X).

You can launch AIM one last time and export your buddy list, then pull it into Fire if you need to (if it is more then one or two people long).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.