PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo...

zed
May 30, 2003, 08:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone here other than myself saw this movie and what you thought...

Im surprised Mr. Anderson has not chimed in on this one yet.

My opinion: the animation was awesome... I was pretty much in awe throughout the whole movie, Pixar is truly amazing. The story was kewl as well... and very clever as usual. My only gripe is that they may have shown a bit too much in the trailers..

oh... and a word of caution, unless you like a multitude of children around you (which i dont really mind so much) than I would suggest waiting a week or two to catch this one ;)

-Zed

hugemullens
May 30, 2003, 09:00 PM
We took my girlfriends 4 year old niece and it SOLD OUT!!! and we got there 30 minutes early. We were upset. So we went back and rented anastasia and watched that. I sooo want to see finding nemo though. Pixar has the magic touch.

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 09:01 PM
I'm off to see the movie tomorrow - had a dinner engagement this evening that prevented me from going.....time to go post on the drunk thread ;)

There is a theater nearby that doesn't get the crowds any more since a couple of newer, stadium seating multiplexes opened up over the past couple of years. We went openning weeking of the Matrix and there were 100s of seats at the 1:00 show. I don't think its going to be a problem....

D

scem0
May 30, 2003, 09:04 PM
kind of funny that the grown up mac community is so interested in a children's film. :p

zed
May 30, 2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by scem0
kind of funny that the grown up mac community is so interested in a children's film. :p

if you are into art and animation at all... then you have to be inspired by Pixar's work.

I wonder though... do you think if Pixar made a movie without the connection to disney... would it be just a popular? Do you think that people actually respect the animation and thought that goes into these films.... or do the kids just get excited because of the Disney affiliation?

janey
May 30, 2003, 09:15 PM
finding nemo is not a children's film.
every single film critic raved (or at least enjoyed) this movie, even the movie critics and reviewers at the LA Times (btw never read their reviews!!) loved it and said
from http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews/cl-et-turan30may30.story
We've suspected it for some time, but "Finding Nemo" all but makes it official: With five successes out of five attempts, Pixar Animation Studios is now the most reliable creative force in Hollywood.
i'm trying to find someone to go to this movie with :rolleyes:

applemacdude
May 30, 2003, 09:24 PM
what about ibookin:) ;)

janey
May 30, 2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
what about ibookin:) ;)
i don't think he can come from glendale (or wherever you live sweetheart) to the grove. it's like a 30-45min drive.
but then again i don't think that teh movie theater at the grove is showing finding nemo...hmmm...

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 09:46 PM

If you've ever attempted 3D animation you'd know why - don't let your ignorance run your mouth there scemO ;)

I've been doing 3D animation for over 10 years and I'd love to be able to do even a bit of what Pixars managed.

D

janey
May 30, 2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
If you've ever attempted 3D animation you'd know why - don't let your ignorance run your mouth there scemO ;)

I've been doing 3D animation for over 10 years and I'd love to be able to do even a bit of what Pixars managed.

D
yeah well pixar has steve jobs, and a gigantic number of really smart and talented people doing one short five minute film :D

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
yeah well pixar has steve jobs, and a gigantic number of really smart and talented people doing one short five minute film :D

Having Steve doesn't guarantee success - its the talent behind the movie that makes it special. Also having a decent story line as well.

Look at Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within

A great 3D animated movie, yet its not quite as good. Having a decent story is always more important than the special effects.

D

janey
May 30, 2003, 10:09 PM
Having Steve doesn't guarantee success - its the talent behind the movie that makes it special. Also having a decent story line as well.
steve == money
which is necessary to buy those computers that those talented people need to make the movie

senseibiz
May 30, 2003, 10:30 PM
I will be taking my 2 daughters tomorrow. They can't wait.
from all the reviews I have read, This looks like great movie.
Thanks for the Input....

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 10:36 PM
steve == money
which is necessary to buy those computers that those talented people need to make the movie

sorry - don't agree here. I've been watching Pixar's and Lasseter's stuff since the late 80s when I was studying 3D animation. He blew people away at Siggraph and has never looked back.

You need to do a little looking into the background of Pixar. Steve Jobs isn't the driving force here.

D

janey
May 30, 2003, 10:39 PM
sorry - don't agree here. I've been watching Pixar's and Lasseter's stuff since the late 80s when I was studying 3D animation. He blew people away at Siggraph and has never looked back.

You need to do a little looking into the background of Pixar. Steve Jobs isn't the driving force here.

D
but if it wasn't for steve...pixar wouldn't really be what pixar is right now.
but of course, he is not the driving force. that's one thing that's clear

dethl
May 30, 2003, 10:54 PM
I agree that Finding Nemo was a great movie, even for adults (or young adults
that is).

WARNING- SEMISPOILER
What I'm confused about is why the seagulls in the movie just say mike?
Maybe theres an inside joke with mike wizouski?

Also, watch the credits, and look really good, you will see a certain Monsters Inc character swimming at the top of the screen. :P

zed
May 30, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by dethl
I agree that Finding Nemo was a great movie, even for adults (or young adults
that is).

WARNING- SEMISPOILER
What I'm confused about is why the seagulls in the movie just say mike?
Maybe theres an inside joke with mike wizouski?

Also, watch the credits, and look really good, you will see a certain Monsters Inc character swimming at the top of the screen. :P

WARNING - SEMISPOILER HERE AS WELL:

I thought they said "mine".... which would make sense considering that they are usually looking at some sort of food when they say it.

Rower_CPU
May 30, 2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by zed
WARNING - SEMISPOILER HERE AS WELL:

I thought they said "mine".... which would make sense considering that they are usually looking at some sort of food when they say it.

I concur. They were definitely saying "mine".

I loved this film. Great animation, story, characters - in short everything.

I was a little shocked at the seriousness of some of the issues dealt with in the film, but I guess it's as good a way as any to introduce those kinds of subjects to children.

I loved the "Knick Knack" short at the start, too. It's one of the few Pixar shorts I haven't been able to see.

Mr. Anderson
May 31, 2003, 09:47 AM
but if it wasn't for steve...pixar wouldn't really be what pixar is right now.

Do you know their history? Pixar might not have been called Pixar, but I'm thinking they'd still have done just as well.

http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/history/1986.html

D

evoluzione
May 31, 2003, 10:14 AM
I have to agree that this IS NOT a children's film. Yes, it has a huge appeal for kids, but as with all the big Pixar releases, there's SO many jokes that kids would just not even notice. Toy Story and A Bug's Life were hilarious, both for adults and for kids, with many many scenes that are very subtle yet very amusing, so, if you're not going to see this movie because "it's a kiddy flick", well, you'd feel right at home ;)

iMook
May 31, 2003, 11:15 AM
Finding Nemo was like... the nectar and ambrosia of 3D animation.

I think that one of the reasons that Pixar's been so successful in its films, aside from great simple storylines, is that they understand that 3D animation shouldn't be used just to emulate the real world. Then you get Final Fantasy.

Fave character: Crush, the Turtle.

Yeah, the seagulls say "mine" (simple-minded, stereotypically swarming headlong for every scrap of anything remotely edible, yeah seagulls)

Pixar's movies are successful not only because of killer animation, but because of creative, yet instantly familiar, storylines. They're great at extending classical tales of trials and tribulation into environments where you just go "Why didn't I think of that?"

I agree that this isn't just a children's film. Some of the gags need experience in society to understand (SPOILERS: Crush, club initiation, Sharks Anonymous, etc.)

P.S. - Definitely getting the DVD, and loved the short film before.
P.P.S. - Did anyone see the preview of the guy-turns-into-bear animated movie? That had a brilliant ending. What's that movie called?

edit: spelling

iJon
May 31, 2003, 12:04 PM
does anybody have a link to the elf trailer with will ferrell. i had never laughed so hard a trailer in a long time. i would love to watch the trailer again but i cant find anywhere, quicktime doesnt have it up yet.

iJon

pyrotoaster
May 31, 2003, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised at how good the reviews have been (the Chicago Trib, which never gives anything 4 stars, gave 4 of 'em to Nemo), and I plan on seeing Nemo this weekend.

What's kinda despressing is the fact that Pixar does all the work, but get's stuck with Disney on these. Disney's recent movies had been terrible (not that I saw Treasure Planet, but I couldn't find a single person who liked it), they're relying on Pixar for good creative material.

BTW, there was a little story about Pixar and Nemo on TechLive last night. They had a look inside the Pixar compound, it was freakishly cool. While there was no sign of his Steveness, the ticker at the bottom introduced the story as how Steve Jobs keeps his animators happy (it looked like they were pretty happy).

iJon
May 31, 2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
I'm surprised at how good the reviews have been (the Chicago Trib, which never gives anything 4 stars, gave 4 of 'em to Nemo), and I plan on seeing Nemo this weekend.

What's kinda despressing is the fact that Pixar does all the work, but get's stuck with Disney on these. Disney's recent movies had been terrible (not that I saw Treasure Planet, but I couldn't find a single person who liked it), they're relying on Pixar for good creative material.

BTW, there was a little story about Pixar and Nemo on TechLive last night. They had a look inside the Pixar compound, it was freakishly cool. While there was no sign of his Steveness, the ticker at the bottom introduced the story as how Steve Jobs keeps his animators happy (it looked like they were pretty happy).
yeah, they really do have a lot of fun. if you have the monsters inc dvd go look at the airplane show on the disc, how many businesses have a annual paper airplane competition.

iJon

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by iJon
does anybody have a link to the elf trailer with will ferrell. i had never laughed so hard a trailer in a long time. i would love to watch the trailer again but i cant find anywhere, quicktime doesnt have it up yet.

iJon

Just for you iJon, hope you will find it enjoyable! ;)

http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/2003/elf.shtml

chewbaccapits
May 31, 2003, 12:48 PM

Arrgh...I hate when people assume that just because a film is ANIMATED it has to be for children...I went to school for animation( CalArts) and found quickly that unless you're prepared to FIGHT,SWEAT and BLEED hard, its almost futile to have your voice heard when it comes to making an animated film.

Rower_CPU
May 31, 2003, 12:50 PM
iMook-

It's called "Brother Bear." Gotta love those Canadian moose. :)

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 12:57 PM
I think that we are all children at heart, that quality of excitement! Adults appreciate quality art work also. As many others have said, the story lines are what make these films great!

iJon
May 31, 2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Just for you iJon, hope you will find it enjoyable! ;)

http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/2003/elf.shtml
thanks, but actually my friend sent the me official site www.elfmovie.com. surprisingly i couldnt find it on google. it had the offical trailer.

iJon

janey
May 31, 2003, 06:57 PM
Do you know their history? Pixar might not have been called Pixar, but I'm thinking they'd still have done just as well.
maybe you're right, steve jobs never really did anything at pixar, he left it all to everyone else.

I saw the movie. It was amazingly good :p

MacFan25
May 31, 2003, 07:10 PM
I havent seen the movie, but I did watch about Pixar on 60 minutes the other night. A ton of work goes into those movies.

beatle888
May 31, 2003, 07:12 PM

i'm trying to find someone to go to this movie with :rolleyes:

i'll go :) im actually trying to get my friend to go now.

janey
May 31, 2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
i'll go :) im actually trying to get my friend to go now.
i just went :p
josh (ibookin') couldn't go because he had to do something...:(

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 08:21 PM
i just went :p
josh (ibookin') couldn't go because he had to do something...:(

So are you an item? :p

springscansing
May 31, 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Arrgh...I hate when people assume that just because a film is ANIMATED it has to be for children...I went to school for animation( CalArts) and found quickly that unless you're prepared to FIGHT,SWEAT and BLEED hard, its almost futile to have your voice heard when it comes to making an animated film.

Come on dude. This is scem0 you're dealing with. None of that logic now...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2003, 02:09 PM
Just saw it today - and as someone who dabbles in 3D animation all I can say is whoa!!!! That was Pixar's best yet.

The detail and subtlies are enormous and totally make the difference - I'm thinking this is going to be Oscar material. :D

A few interesting bits:

The openning animation was originally from 1989!!!! I remember watching it in one of my animaiton classes in school back in 1990! I feel cheated so expecting a new short - the bird one from Monsters Inc. was fun. But they did do one bit of rerendering. I'll have to do a bit of searching and see if I can get a still image for proof - any animation junkies out there catch it?

The animations of the fish fins was phenomenal - they were using a procedural technique that's probably based in the fabric animating procedures they've developed over the years. But its one of those little details that really makes a huge difference. And it would be almost impossible to do that all by hand. Wow.

And in the credits there was a section titled 'Production Babies' - anyone notice this? This was the list of all the babies that were born by familly and employees of pixar during the production of the film. This list had about 50 names!!!!

Great movie, everyone should go see it. I can't wait to buy the dvd.

D

scem0
Jun 1, 2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
well it was more of a combination of the G rating, the animation, and the plot. But I didn't mean that parents couldnt watch it. It was just made for a younger audience (I think...). I do appreciate the animation, and all the amazing computer work, but I am just saying that more 10 year olds are rushing out to see this than 40 year olds.

wdlove
Jun 1, 2003, 03:04 PM
I plan to wait for the DVD to come out. Already have "Bugs Life," "Monster's Inc," & "Toy Story.'

Mr. Anderson
Jun 1, 2003, 03:22 PM
well it was more of a combination of the G rating, the animation, and the plot. but I am just saying that more 10 year olds are rushing out to see this than 40 year olds.

If you haven't seen the movie, you really shouldn't make generalized comments on this.

Sure its a cartoon and that's supposed to be a kids thing - but there is so much that kids won't get - references to movies and other things that *only* adults understand.

Go see the movie and then come back and let us know what you thought.

D