PDA

View Full Version : Spymac Timeline


arn
May 30, 2003, 09:29 PM
http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26421&postid=389252

I hope they don't mind me linking it here... (assuming I can)

http://www.spymac.com/images/spymactimeline.jpg

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 09:38 PM
So what's the deal here? Any particular reason for posting?

(the edit was for spelling :D)

D

arn
May 30, 2003, 09:46 PM
just interesting....

arn

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by arn
just interesting....

So when was MacRumors first day?

Were the forums available from the start or did that happen later?

D

arn
May 30, 2003, 10:04 PM
Feb 2000
Domain name registered, site started. used PHPSlash. Not very mature code at the time.

Apr 2001
vBulletin used for forums. Before this time there was a very primitive comment system in place.

Those are the big days I can figure out at the moment. At one point MacRumors was hacked (phpslash was) and prompted me to drop PHPSlash and replace it with custom code - which is where we are now.

arn

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by arn
Feb 2000
Domain name registered, site started. used PHPSlash. Not very mature code at the time.

Ha, that makes it almost ancient as message boards/forums go....

I do remember when there were only 3 forums. I was lurking at the time, not a member yet :D

D

Rower_CPU
May 31, 2003, 12:02 AM
It's interesting to see how they've progressed since their appearance on the Mac scene.

To me, that timeline seems to show how they used the iWalk videos to get a lot of recognition quickly and then build from there. Not exactly the nicest way to do things, but obviously very effective.

What's the deal with them incorporating?

arn
May 31, 2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
To me, that timeline seems to show how they used the iWalk videos to get a lot of recognition quickly and then build from there. Not exactly the nicest way to do things, but obviously very effective.


Atari may comment on this... but by my observation, I actually don't think they did it on purpose. My impression has been that they were given the videos... and didn't actually author them.

They've been pretty tightlipped about the origins though... :)

arn

Rower_CPU
May 31, 2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by arn
Atari may comment on this... but by my observation, I actually don't think they did it on purpose. My impression has been that they were given the videos... and didn't actually author them.

They've been pretty tightlipped about the origins though... :)

arn

What I don't understand, though, is how a start-up site with little/no rep gets video like that. To me, it's got to be one of two things; 1) someone random gave them the videos, meaning they were obviously fake, and they used them anyway, or 2) they created them for the sole purpose of creating a buzz.

Call me cynical, but that's how I see it.

funkywhat2
Jun 3, 2003, 08:52 PM
Spymac Network, Inc. had the iTunes sharing. Sharman Networks, Inc. has file sharing.

Coincidence? I think not.

Wardofsky
Jun 4, 2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Spymac Network, Inc. had the iTunes sharing. Sharman Networks, Inc. has file sharing.

Coincidence? I think not.

I think not aswell...
iTunes sharing shutdown, both from SpyMac and Apple (4.01).