Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
really this is wierd. I just got my ibook back from apple after having that infamous pinstripe problem with the video. Anyways i plugged in another monitor into my ibook and well it was odd, i got dual display on my ibook. I have a factory install of OSX because they replaced my HardDrive, umm this is OS X.1.2 . But its really wierd, theres even an option in my display panel to turn on/off video mirroring.

maybe i havent been keeping up with mac news, but is this new to anyone other then the hack to get non mirrored video on ibooks?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yeah that is weird, I hadn't heard that either. I though it was one of the things that seperated the pro and consumer lines. Although it makes perfect sense for a laptop to be able to do this, what with the smaller screen and all.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
maybe i forgot to mention that its an ibook 16vram 700mhz, the original 16vram ones.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by jadam
maybe i forgot to mention that its an ibook 16vram 700mhz, the original 16vram ones.

Does Quartz Extreme work on both displays? It splits the VRAM, so each display has 8MB. There's a way to check, just search for the app "Quartz Extreme Check' on Google or Versiontracker.

There's also a way to fix it so QE is on with only 8MB of VRAM, search for PCI Extreme.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
This is really weird! I remember there being away to hack the iBooks to enable spanning but it was for OS9, and in your case I doubt someone hacked it. What happens when you press the F7 key? If there is an easy way to get spanning on a an iBook I'm gonna be pretty bummed. I just spent an extra $600 on a 12" PowerBook mainly to have this feature. Maybe they replaced some video component or somehthing with a PowerBook version? Damn. Keep us posted.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by tjwett
This is really weird! I remember there being away to hack the iBooks to enable spanning but it was for OS9, and in your case I doubt someone hacked it. What happens when you press the F7 key? If there is an easy way to get spanning on a an iBook I'm gonna be pretty bummed. I just spent an extra $600 on a 12" PowerBook mainly to have this feature. Maybe they replaced some video component or somehthing with a PowerBook version? Damn. Keep us posted.

Check MacOsXHints.com. They have tips on this.

Dan

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
are you guys talking about the open firmware hack for the iBooks? http://www.macparts.de/ibook ?
Also when i first plugged my ibook into a display w/o the hack it was a dual display but everytime after that i could not get it to repeat that trick until i did the hack.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
well im running OS X.1.2 anyhoo, but heres the deal, it works under OS9 to, and no i didnt put in the Hack, this laptop just worked like this after i got it back from apple. I can also go beyond 1024x768 on the second display too which is really cool.

its really cool too because i was watching a movie on the monitor and browsing online on the ibook screen.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
yeah i do that all the time with the hack enabled. I mirror it to the TV in my room and have it play my family guy shows or episodes of 24...

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I dont understand!!

Well.. maybe thats why I'm a PC user, but I can NOT understand whats weird or odd about this?!..

Of Course a laptop (even an entry level iBook) should be able to do this, wouldnt it?!?!... If you wont be connect your notebook to an external (bigger) screen, what good is it to have a notebook at home???

can someone explain where I am wrong??

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by mrjamin
no way!! that's really annoying - i wish my iBook'd do that

if you apply the firmware hack yours can too its really easy... you can resize the external display move its position change the res

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.