Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apb3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
Anyone have any suggestions??

Occasionally, my 5G ipod will not shut off by pressing and holding the play/pause button. Everything else works as usual except that.

It has always "fixed" itself after sometime (either let it run out of power or leave it in a dock) through no action of mine which makes it that much more mysterious.

Anyone else experience this, find a solution, cause or whatever?

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I have a similar issue with my 1st gen Nano. I push the pause button twice, holding it the second time yet it doesn't turn off. I rarely use the Nano too...oh well, its been back in its box for a few months now.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have a similar issue with my 1st gen Nano. I push the pause button twice, holding it the second time yet it doesn't turn off. I rarely use the Nano too...oh well, its been back in its box for a few months now.

i sometimes have the same issue with my first gen Nano, and i use it everyday.

apb3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
i sometimes have the same issue with my first gen Nano, and i use it everyday.

Have you noticed anything or combination of things that makes it all better? I've yet to narrow it down to anything but the whim of the ipod itself.

It's just annoying when I'm away from any power for an extended period and I can't turn it off to save the remaining charge when I need to actually hear what's going on around me or on the radio. I sadly watch the battery indicator just shrink away knowing I'll be reduced to ordering someone to "lend" me their ipod come time for shut-eye.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Have you noticed anything or combination of things that makes it all better? I've yet to narrow it down to anything but the whim of the ipod itself.

It's just annoying when I'm away from any power for an extended period and I can't turn it off to save the remaining charge when I need to actually hear what's going on around me or on the radio. I sadly watch the battery indicator just shrink away knowing I'll be reduced to ordering someone to "lend" me their ipod come time for shut-eye.

well with mine, right after you unplug it from your mac, it won't shut off. i have to play a song or something first for little bit, and then it will shut off. i have had the problem where i couldn't get it to turn off for anything, but after connecting to my mac, it went back to normal

g3ski

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Have you noticed anything or combination of things that makes it all better?

Same issue on my 1g Nano ever since it went for a swim in the washing machine. I thought I was just going to have to live with it like that...then again I was happy that it worked. (These nanos take a beating.)

Connecting it to to any dock or USB power source "seems" to solve the problem for me.

apb3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
Same issue on my 1g Nano ever since it went for a swim in the washing machine. I thought I was just going to have to live with it like that...then again I was happy that it worked. (These nanos take a beating.)

Connecting it to to any dock or USB power source "seems" to solve the problem for me.

well, I suppose knowing I'm not alone in this should make me feel better...

:confused:

I was just gonna stick it out with this whole situation as I'm due to get out of here and back to (relative)civilization fairly ssoon (not soon enough).

BUT, I think I may try to just restore/wipe the old boy and start from scratch to see if that helps seeing as I am NOT the only one being tormented this way. I have my personal ibook here with all my music/vid/photos/data on it so it'll just come down to waiting until I get some downtime during which I can have at it.

That should be after this latest operation winds down early next week or so.

Has anyone already tried to see if this would solve said issue already? It'd save me some time and lost sleep if someone already knows if a restore/wipe would prove fruitless on this case...

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I had something similar happen to me but it turned out to be me, not the iPod.

Every night I update my Podcast for my morning commute. After I eject my iPod I start the podcast, then pause it right away before it can actually play. (This way in the morning, I just have to hit "play" and it starts --don't ask how this actually saves any time... I'm weird, I know).

Anyway, after I queue up the podcast I have learned to wait 3 or 4 seconds before trying to turn it off or it will not go off. I can hold the play/pause button as long as I want it will never go off.

But if I wait 3 or 4 seconds, then try to put it to sleep it goes off without a problem.

I just assumed it has something to do with the buffers needing to fill up before it can go to sleep.

MikeyHoi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Phoenixville, PA & NY
Try reseting the ipod - It's done by holding the menu and center button down at the same time for several seconds (on newer ipods). I had the same problem a few weeks ago with my 5G ipod where it would not shut off no matter what I tried. After I reset it it's been working fine, and it doesn't change or delete any music files!

This article explains it, also how to reset older ipods.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

Hope this helps.

apb3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
Try reseting the ipod - It's done by holding the menu and center button down at the same time for several seconds (on newer ipods). I had the same problem a few weeks ago with my 5G ipod where it would not shut off no matter what I tried. After I reset it it's been working fine, and it doesn't change or delete any music files!

This article explains it, also how to reset older ipods.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

Hope this helps.

OK.... here goes...

apb3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
Yes!

Someone else with this issue, give it a shot. Worked for me!:D

Thanks MikeyHoi! and everyone else!

Never again will I have to rock myself to sleep trying to drown out the sounds of the locals' amorous rendevous with the donkeys, sheep and camels.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
:confused: Dont you just press pause and it eventually turns off? All mine do. It waits about 20 seconds to turn off. Ive had them since the original. Have i missed something? :confused:

apb3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
:confused: Dont you just press pause and it eventually turns off? All mine do. It waits about 20 seconds to turn off. Ive had them since the original. Have i missed something? :confused:

Yeah. That's how they should work (and how mine is NOW working after the simple reset mentioned above). The problem was that I could not get it to work properly.

See the original post as I think that pretty much covers it clearly and succinctly.;)

I was mostly just curious because the iPod would just cure itself after running out of juice or getting connected to a dock of some sort (for me, others said USB connection was good enough but not for me) only to manifest the same problem later.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
See the original post as I think that pretty much covers it clearly and succinctly.;)

It says pressing and holding :confused: which I dont think you have to do. I never have. Just press pause and it will turn off after about 20 seconds.

MikeyHoi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Phoenixville, PA & NY
It says pressing and holding :confused: which I dont think you have to do. I never have. Just press pause and it will turn off after about 20 seconds.

Yes, it should just turn off after about 20 seconds of being paused. It will also turn off immediately if you press and hold the play/pause button for 3 or 4 seconds (at least on a 5G it does). In my case the problem was that even if you left the ipod paused it would not turn off - the only way it would sort of 'shut down' was when the battery finally died a couple of hours later.

Glad I could help apb3!

apb3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy

What your talking about (turning off when paused after 20 sec or so) wouldn't work either. BUT, I was talking about the way you turn it off immediately - by pressing and holding the play/pause button.

Anyway that might just be on the 5Gs. I can't remember if my old iPods did that or not; I think they did though, try it out.

Regardless, the simple reset worked and I'm just waiting to see if I an replicate the problem - or, really, if the iPod will decide to ignore my finger lovingly pressing (and holding) the lower region of her input area.

I need some sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.