Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacScoop claims that Apple's complete line of Macs will be updated by the end of Q2 2007. While the claim is broad and lacking in specifics, it is not unreasonable given Apple's current product cycles, as noted in our MacRumors buyers guide.

Also mentioned is a specific claim that a black version of the iMac may be introduced in 20 and 24" varieties. Of some relevance, there have been previous rumors (from ThinkSecret) surrounding the iMac being introduced in a (Product) RED variety which have yet to come to fruition.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
looking forward to seeing this happen! i can see all the macs being updated, since its been a while since they were.

would love to see more colors of the iMac. hope it's true :cool: :apple:

SunnyBonno

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
Oh give me a break! This MacScoop site has absolutely no credibility. The fact that MacRumors keeps citing them as a reliable source is sad and annoying. Lets revisit this sites track record if we may:

1) They said a RED MacBook was coming

FALSE

2) They said new MacBook Pros were coming in September

FALSE: they didn't come to november.

3)They said Macworld would have NEW DISPLAYS with HDMI and iSight.

FALSE

4)They said iLife 07 would be previewed at Macworld

FALSE

5)They then said Mac Pro 8-core and new iSight displays were ON TRACK FOR JANUARY. I don't see them and it is almost March!

FALSE

6)They said a widescreen iPod was ready back in January and would ship ahead of iPhone.

THIS IS CLEARY FALSE.

Now they say all Macs will be updated before the second half of the year? NO S**T? Really? Wow, what insiders they appear to be. WOW Apple hasn't updated a single Mac yet so predicting they may before June is really something I'm happy I read today. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Sunny

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Ok, I dont want to get flamed so I will start off by saying a have no problem indorsing or supporting pruduct red But, I think a red iMac would burn my eyes. I just dont think solid red would look good with an iMac I cant stand the color ware version.

Jwalker9

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
black imacs and mac pros could be a huge success, and i honestly think that red imacs could be successful even as a niche market. I see them being used in retail as an eye catching, unique and aesthetic way to decorate/function. just my .02

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
The last time the imac used color as a marketing tool, it was a fair success. I'd rather apple focus on improving technology (DVD HD drives, blueray, touch screen, os) that new colors. Black I can sort of see but for other colors go ahead and get a custome color design for your application.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I'd totally buy a black iMac if I didn't need portability. Hoping for an ultra-portable MBP. :crosses fingers:

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ok, I dont want to get flamed so I will start off by saying a have no problem indorsing or supporting pruduct red But, I think a red iMac would burn my eyes. I just dont think solid red would look good with an iMac I cant stand the color ware version.

I had the same worry, but the Gap has a lot of Product (RED) stuff that is not red or that has just a hint of red. If this comes to fruition, I expect a black iMac with the word (RED) somewhere on the back.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
The last time the imac used color as a marketing tool, it was a fair success. I'd rather apple focus on improving technology (DVD HD drives, blueray, touch screen, os) that new colors. Black I can sort of see but for other colors go ahead and get a custome color design for your application.
Well, introducing a current product in a new color wouldn't take anytime away from improving their techonology in current and future products. I'm sure Apple has Macs with BluRay/HD-DVD drives already in them and other products running around with touchscreens, they just don't think it's the current time to release them. When they introduced the iPhone Jobs stated that they had prototypes inside Apple for 2 years. The same thing when they switched to Intel, Jobs said OS X had been living a double life for 5 years if my memory serves me correct.

I don't think I'd personally buy a black or red iMac but I think it would probably attract a few more buyers to Apple, which is exactly what Apple would want out of it.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Black anodised :apple: Cinema Displays please apple! :D

But a black iMac is good too :)

mwsh2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2006
I'm really hoping for a black Mac Mini. I really want one for my home theater, and most of my other equipment is black. I'll still get a white one if the black never comes to fruition, but black would be better.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
A Black 24" iMac is what I have been waiting for.

If I held my breath for a midrange tower, I would long ago have run out of air.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Give it too me in Black

I would love to see more black hardware in the Apple lineup. I don't know if a black MacPro would be that great, especially if they raise the price. I wouldn't pay an extra $400 or so for a black MacPro. I wouldn't mind having a black Macbook Pro and a black iMac. Red and other bright colors aren't the greatest but they could work for those that just want to think different or at kiosks that need to attract attention.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
theapplecollection shows what an iMac looks like in black here.

I always suspected a black iMac would look rather ugly, and this link confirms it - to me at least.

Red would be similarly overpowering.

I can't see it. More importantly, I don't want to. Others of course are entitled to their opinion!

Edit: Having said that, I am the proud new owner of a black MacBook. Call me a hypocrite if you will, but somehow that works much better for me. Beauty is in the eye of th...

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I personally would love to see a black iMac. However, if they do it, they should have a darker metal for the stand. The black iMac that was linked to here looked odd with the normal light silver stand.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I don't get the attraction to the black stuff (Macbook, iPod, iMac, etc).

I prefer white much more. If I want a black computer or mp3 player, there are millons of choices available from others.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of choice and if you want black, good for you, but I think white is one of the things that currently defines Apple hardware.

To me, a black computer is so 1990s!

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Boy, doesn't everyone realize that only the bad guys wear black? Good guys wear white! We all want to be good guys, don't we? So, don't go down the dark path! :D :) :D

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
All I want is a new Mac Pro. I have been greenlighted to buy a new one, but I am waiting because I know that they are due for updates, updates that were due a month ago.

Please Apple, I need, I need. :) :) :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nothing would look cooler than a black iMac with matching mouse/keyboard. They would show up in every sci-fi and action movie overnight.

(I fear that software-controlled case color would be a pretty lame effect in person: it would be like lights softly glowing under the surfce, not a real "paint job" and not able to do dark colors.)

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Let's see here, G/PM965 and the socket P Core 2 Duos that come with it are out q2. Apple's entire consumer lineup uses the mobile platform. It doesn't take anything but reasoning to figure out they're going to have to update around then.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Oh give me a break! This MacScoop site has absolutely no credibility. The fact that MacRumors keeps citing them as a reliable source is sad and annoying. Lets revisit this sites track record if we may:

... a list of inaccurate MacScoop claims, then some troll-like comments ...

Sunny

Its easier to point out inaccuracies than to point out where they have been right. Lets look at some other notables:

- 24" iMac: true
- Leopard Info: true
- Slim MacBook Pro: corroborated

That being said, we did put this claim on page 2 for our reasons, which were highlighted in the post (broad/non-specific claim, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.