PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Pro 6 To Debut At NAB? Final Cut Extreme Too?

MacRumors
Feb 22, 2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret believes (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702finalcutpro6.html) that Final Cut Pro 6 will finally make its debut at NAB, which takes place April 14-19. The software was originally expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/01/04/final-cut-pro-6-final-cut-extreme-xserve-raid/) at last year's NAB which instead saw the release of the 17" MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/24/apple-releases-17-macbook-pro/).

Final Cut Pro 6 has been rumored to bring 5.1 surround sound editing, 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD support. ThinkSecret adds that the extra development time has afforded Apple to enhance Final Cut's realtime video editing engine with Core Animation technology.

Lastly, ThinkSecret reports that the high-end Final Cut Extreme targeting Avid users will also make its debut at NAB. Little is known about the product at this time, but it is said to be a hardware and software solution with a pricetag near $10,000.

Multimedia
Feb 22, 2007, 09:36 PM
And an 8 Core Mac Pro For Extreme Fun! :eek: :) 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD is already supported in the 5.1.2 update.

darwen
Feb 22, 2007, 09:45 PM
I hope the Final Cut 6 adds some serious innovation. The jump from 3 to 4 was huge where as the jump from 4 to 5 didnt seem like much of a big deal. Hopefully 6 will be a 'must buy' program.

Final Cut Extreme sounds interesting... $10,000 is a little steep though, even with a device like 'The Mojo' Avid offers.

zblaxberg
Feb 22, 2007, 09:45 PM
pricetag near $10,000.

all I can say is wow...that sucks...i'm not gonna be able to afford that for a loooonng time

Lord Nerdos
Feb 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
I have a terrible feeling that updated mac pros are going to be announced... Terrible, as I ordered mine last week... :rolleyes:
**Homer style "Doh!!!"**

A hardware/software combo for the extreme version would make sense. The ultra high powered 8-core system with a highly optimised final cut.

I can but dream...

DMann
Feb 22, 2007, 09:53 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret believes (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702finalcutpro6.html) that Final Cut Pro 6 will finally make its debut at NAB, which takes place April 14-19. The software was originally expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/01/04/final-cut-pro-6-final-cut-extreme-xserve-raid/) at last year's NAB which instead saw the release of the 17" MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/24/apple-releases-17-macbook-pro/).

Final Cut Pro 6 has been rumored to bring 5.1 surround sound editing, 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD support. ThinkSecret adds that the extra development time has afforded Apple to enhance Final Cut's realtime video editing engine with Core Animation technology.

Lastly, ThinkSecret reports that the high-end Final Cut Extreme targeting Avid users will also make its debut at NAB. Little is known about the product at this time, but it is said to be a hardware and software solution with a pricetag near $10,000.

Now we're talking..... Real-time video edition integrated with Core Animation, and Extreme for high-end rendering...... can hardly wait:p

DMann
Feb 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
I have a terrible feeling that updated mac pros are going to be announced... Terrible, as I ordered mine last week... :rolleyes:
**Homer style "Doh!!!**

You can still cancel the order if you'd rather hold out......

Lord Nerdos
Feb 22, 2007, 09:57 PM
You can still cancel the order if you'd rather hold out......

I may just do that... man after all that waiting I thought I had come to a decision!!!

Eidorian
Feb 22, 2007, 09:58 PM
Xgrid + MOAR CORES

*cue maniacal laughter.

LethalWolfe
Feb 22, 2007, 09:59 PM
Looks like they dusted off the exact same prediction from last year except this time they didn't mention Red and its "$200,000" price tag. :rolleyes:

I think I'll have to agree to Mike Curtis' take on this rumor over at HD4Indies (http://www.hdforindies.com/).

Lethal

longofest
Feb 22, 2007, 10:01 PM
And an 8 Core Mac Pro For Extreme Fun! :eek: :) 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD is already supported in the 5.1.2 update isn't it?

Yes... story updated to reflect that. Looks like in the end we don't have too much information on FCP6 other than the fact that its coming at NAB, and should have a Core Animation enhanced engine.

spicyapple
Feb 22, 2007, 10:12 PM
A real-time mixed codec/framerate timeline would be a welcome improvement. Also, a darker updated UI like that of Aperture would be swell. :)

Oh yeah, Shake-like optical flow for slo-motion, which reminds me the slo-mo features of FCP need a major overhaul, as well as their filter management (filter styles or layers, anyone?) and overhauled motion tab.

Oh yeah, better color correction including a curves editor and some built-in image processing tools like blurs, power windows, etc.

Oh yeah, media management that actually works with nested sequences, and mixed frame rates.

And one more thing, the ability to edit video sequences other than 25 and 30 fps, such as 5,10,15 fps sequences. Multi-caming sequences as a workaround is simply not professional.

That's about it for now... :)

trudd
Feb 22, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hopefully I'll be kicking it on the floor at NAB. Might just have to mosey on over to the Apple booth...

Cult Follower
Feb 22, 2007, 10:20 PM
I may not be a professional video editor, but i have always wanted to do some amateur work. This stuff is really exciting, but $10,000. A little much?

mduser63
Feb 22, 2007, 10:23 PM
I may not be a professional video editor, but i have always wanted to do some amateur work. This stuff is really exciting, but $10,000. A little much?

That's for Final Cut Extreme. the new (rumored) extra high-end version of FCP. If you're an amateur, FCP ($1300 or so) or even Final Cut Express ($300 IIRC) are much more the kind of thing you need.

failsafe1
Feb 22, 2007, 10:24 PM
I may just do that... man after all that waiting I thought I had come to a decision!!!

I read your post and the Twilight Zone image of William Shatner sitting in a greasy spoon with a bobble head satan question machine. :eek:

kenn michael
Feb 22, 2007, 10:26 PM
$10,000 is the rumored pricetag for Final Cut Extreme, NOT Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Extreme seems perfect for the high-end users that need 4K editing and compositing capabilities. Something that Avid would charge over $100K for.

Edit - nevermind mduser63 got to it before I did!

twoodcc
Feb 22, 2007, 10:32 PM
well this is great news! and hopefully leopard will be out then also....

can't wait to try out the new features :D :apple:

iMacZealot
Feb 22, 2007, 10:34 PM
**** yeah!

I'm going to hold off from stepping from FCE to FCS. And a Mac Pro, but I couldn't afford that now (nor later) anyway.

gugy
Feb 22, 2007, 10:42 PM
$10,000 is the rumored pricetag for Final Cut Extreme, NOT Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Extreme seems perfect for the high-end users that need 4K editing and compositing capabilities. Something that Avid would charge over $100K for.

Edit - nevermind mduser63 got to it before I did!

Exactly,
$10K is not that much if you do professional editing. I would even say is cheap if the hardware is included.

Signs and more signs point that the octo-core will be here at NAB. I wonder with leopard will come at the same time as well as Adobe CS3.

Great times ahead for professionals.:eek:

tk421
Feb 22, 2007, 10:53 PM
I hope the Final Cut 6 adds some serious innovation. The jump from 3 to 4 was huge where as the jump from 4 to 5 didnt seem like much of a big deal. Hopefully 6 will be a 'must buy' program.

Final Cut Extreme sounds interesting... $10,000 is a little steep though, even with a device like 'The Mojo' Avid offers.

This isn't anything like the Mojo. Mojo is for home users and "pro-sumers." Or it works well as a logging station for an assistant. If Apple is trying to compete with high-end stuff, they're competing against stuff like this (http://avid.com/products/dsnitris/nitris/). And all I can say is, I hope so. I spent all day on a DS today, and I would love something from Apple.

Incidentally, the Media Composer software from Avid is $5000 for software only. No hardware.

DMann
Feb 22, 2007, 10:59 PM
well this is great news! and hopefully leopard will be out then also....

can't wait to try out the new features :D :apple:

Leopard will likely be out soon after...... often, Hardware
is updated immediately before an OS release....

Multimedia
Feb 22, 2007, 11:14 PM
Leopard will likely be out soon after...... often, Hardware is updated immediately before an OS release....I'm thinking the opposite. 8 Core will likely be a Leopard Mac from day one thanks to better multi-task multi-core management capabilities in Leopard and the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset on the new Oct Mac Pro logicboard. This needs to come with or just before the NAB announcement of FCS 6 and Extreeme for maximum impact and super kickstart sales. Pent up demand for the OctMP will probably make getting one another waiting game even after we all order them on day one.

nagromme
Feb 22, 2007, 11:19 PM
FC Extreme? Dude, I would so totally slam a Dew if that came out!

gugy
Feb 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
I'm thinking the opposite. 8 Core will likely be a Leopard Mac from day one thanks to better multi-task multi-core management capabilities in Leopard and the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset on the new Oct Mac Pro logicboard. This needs to come with or just before the NAB announcement of FCS 6 and Extreeme for maximum impact and super kickstart sales. Pent up demand for the OctMP will probably make getting one another waiting game even after we all order them on day one.

I agree. It feels that Leopard might come first week of April, then hardware at NAB.
On top of that there are rumors that Adobe CS3 is coming out end of March. It makes sense to have all software native and Leopard to take full advantage of the octo-core.
I hope it happens.

iMacZealot
Feb 22, 2007, 11:34 PM
Since I've switched, the only major OS 10 upgrade I've been around for is Tiger, and that came out the last week of April or so, and iMacs and eMacs were upgraded the week after. There's no point in shipping machines with an old OS, releasing a new OS, and have those machines you shipped a week ago still sell with the old OS for some time, having the owners of those machines upgrade to the new OS for free. (Hope that made sense.)

puckhead193
Feb 22, 2007, 11:45 PM
Can't wait :D to bad i got the accidemic version of FC5 so i can't upgrade :( o well i saved a lot of money ;)

Multimedia
Feb 22, 2007, 11:53 PM
Can't wait :D to bad i got the accidemic version of FC5 so i can't upgrade :( o well i saved a lot of money ;)You misread the upgrade offer. You can upgrade your academic PPC FCS 5 to 5.1 UB for $49 or PPC FCP 5 to FCS 5.1 UB for $99. Deadline is March 20. Do it tomorrow. All versions including academic become commercial 5.1 UB with this upgrade (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/). You are not impared from getting that upgrade because you have an academic version.

You also want to do this to be able to go to 6 for less money and get commercial NOW. This is your last chance to convert from academic to commercial and this opportunity is rare.I upgraded to UB back in December form the academic, and all my apps still say Academic on the registration screen that comes up when the apps are first opened. Unless I'm missing something, academic versions can only upgrade to an academic UB version. Puckhead and I are still both probably screwed for upgrading to 6. However bad this sounds, I hope it's not "I want that now" upgrade worthy or else I'll be hitting my head against a wall.Did you upgrade from academic 5 or 4/4.5? When I went from academic 3 to 4 it turned to commercial. I thought this was the same situation.

The above may only apply to upgrades from academic 4/4.5 FCP. BrianBobcat & Puckhead seem to still have academic version of 5.1 after going to UB from academic PPC 5. My apologies if I've got it wrong. But I still think upgrading to 5.1 UB is something everyone should do from any earlier version of FCP or PPC part of Studio or PPC Production.

brianbobcat
Feb 23, 2007, 12:10 AM
You misread the upgrade offer. You can upgrade your academic PPC FCS 5 to 5.1 UB for $49 or PPC FCP 5 to FCS 5.1 UB for $99. Deadline is March 20. Do it tomorrow. All versions including academic become commercial 5.1 UB with this upgrade (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/). You are not impared from getting that upgrade because you have an academic version.

You also want to do this to be able to go to 6 for less money and get commercial NOW. This is your last chance to convert from academic to commercial and this opportunity almost never happens.

I upgraded to UB back in December form the academic, and all my apps still say Academic on the registration screen that comes up when the apps are first opened. Unless I'm missing something, academic versions can only upgrade to an academic UB version. Puckhead and I are still both probably screwed for upgrading to 6. However bad this sounds, I hope it's not "I want that now" upgrade worthy or else I'll be hitting my head against a wall.

-Brian

Lord Nerdos
Feb 23, 2007, 12:42 AM
Before I go insane I need some advice. So, if this is true that FCP will get updated and it will integrate Leopard technologies, we can assume Leopard will be out very close to this date.
If 8-core mac pros are being held back until Leopard release, we could also safely bet that 8-cores will be released near that time.
According to my research on the web, 3 different quad core xeons with a fsb of 1333Mhz are available at 2.0, 2.33, and 2.66.
The 2.0 quad seems to be in the same price range as the 2.66 dual woodcrest, likewise the 2.33 quad is about the same price as the 3.0 woodcrest.
So... are we looking at a full 8-core line-up for mac pros, ranging in clock speed from 2 to 2.66?
If so, should I call apple and cancel my order for the 2.66 mac pro I placed last week? I still haven't received confirmation for shipping so I guess I can cancel until then.
Or do you think that they will use single quad core processors instead of two dual cores to reduce the price? And then have the option of having dual quad-cores as a top of the range model?
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Any advice would be most welcome!:o

**runs screaming from the building**

spicyapple
Feb 23, 2007, 01:31 AM
accidemic
Freudian slip or crafty play on words? :D

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 01:46 AM
Before I go insane I need some advice. So, if this is true that FCP will get updated and it will integrate Leopard technologies, we can assume Leopard will be out very close to this date.
If 8-core mac pros are being held back until Leopard release, we could also safely bet that 8-cores will be released near that time.They're not being held back. They're in parallel final development between firmware in the hardware and software in the system. You also have to take into account that Clovertown processors and their Stoakley-Seaburg (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1) support chips are only just now beginning to ship in quantity. So all the parts are just now arriving and still about to arrive at the assembly plants in China.According to my research on the web, 3 different quad core xeons with a fsb of 1333Mhz are available at 2.0, 2.33, and 2.66. The 2.0 quad seems to be in the same price range as the 2.66 dual woodcrest, likewise the 2.33 quad is about the same price as the 3.0 woodcrest. So... are we looking at a full 8-core line-up for mac pros, ranging in clock speed from 2 to 2.66?Maybe. We don't know. That's one of many reasons we're still waiting. What we don't know could hurt us if we don't.If so, should I call apple and cancel my order for the 2.66 mac pro I placed last week? I still haven't received confirmation for shipping so I guess I can cancel until then.You should do that in any case. Buying a 4 core MP is not wise right now if you can live without it for a few more weeks. It's less than 8 weeks to the opening of NAB expo April 16.Or do you think that they will use single quad core processors instead of two dual cores to reduce the price?We don't know. You mean Kentsfield? That would not be a Mac Pro unless they decide to make a Mac Pro Jr. They're not going to offer single Clovertown systems if that's what you're asking.And then have the option of having dual quad-cores as a top of the range model?
:confused: :confused: :confused: And you think we're not? :confused: :eek: We have been telling you over on the 8 Core thread not to buy a 4 core Mac Pro. You even bragged to us how you gave up waiting this week Tuesday night on your post 360 over there (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3375864&postcount=360).
Any advice would be most welcome!:o

**runs screaming from the building**You can return an unopened Mac at Apple's expense with full refund if you phone them to tell them you want to cancel the order.

We 8 Core faithful have been lobbying anyone who would listen that there is a good reason to wait for the Oct Mac Pro. If you take the time to read many of the 361 posts at the 8-Core Mac Pro In January?... thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3373586#post3373586), you would understand why. It's a long story. Bottom line is you will get a lot more bang for your bucks by waiting for an Oct Mac Pro (OMP). :eek:

dAlen
Feb 23, 2007, 01:53 AM

I have been waiting for awhile for a mac.
(Actually bought one before moving to Europe, but gave it back before the move) Its been almost 2 years. ;-)

I know, different strokes for different folks...depends on your 'needs'.

But for me, I have been waiting for:
- Complete transition to Intel machines
- leopard

I do not want a machine before Leopard...as I want the 'optimized' one.
I do not want leopard when it first comes out. (remember one of the OS Xs a few years back, that I wish I had waited.)

Again, this is not the 'best stragegy' now for me...it is...at this time.
In fact, I may even delay it till late next year. I have to admit, my powerbook is growing rather old, and this year I am noticing its lack of 'power' as basic things require faster CPU and more memory. (of course Im with the memory that came with the powerbook, and we know not long ago...it was not much...256k)

Now some may laugh, as this is in the Final Cut forum.
I came from a company where I set them up with editing systems, and spent quite a bit of money. Im in the 'independent' / 'sabbatical' stage now.
So, as mentioned, if you have the money to upgrade every year or so...it doesnt really matter... ;-)

But, I would thought that most people, if they could have, would have waited on purchasing until the release of Leopard with upgraded machines.

Again, thats just my way of looking at it.

Enjoy what you have.

Peace

dAlen

Macinposh
Feb 23, 2007, 02:25 AM
All versions including academic become commercial 5.1 UB with this upgrade. You are not impared from getting that upgrade because you have an academic version.

You have anything to back this up, multimedia?

Didnt find anything supporting that from the apples site.

I asked if i could update my FCP 2 EDU to FCP 5 studio,for the said 699, and some confused person at apple said it is not possible.

So,is it possible to upgrade a FCP 2 EDU to anything?

crjeong
Feb 23, 2007, 02:37 AM

I asked if i could update my FCP 2 EDU to FCP 5 studio,for the said 699, and some confused person at apple said it is not possible.

So,is it possible to upgrade a FCP 2 EDU to anything?

Aren't the Educational and Full Retail editions exactly the same?? Its just the license thats different. So you could just upgrade to 5.1 from the "upgrade from Final Cut Pro 1/2/3" on the apple store.

EDIT: Actually I was just looking on the U.S. Apple Store site, and it does say that "Academic and not-for-resale versions of Final Cut Pro 1, 2, or 3 are not eligible for this upgrade."

Although there is no mention of this on the Australian Apple Store site.

If you're still a student you could just buy the full Academic version for the same price.

Spidey79
Feb 23, 2007, 02:42 AM
we have fcs 5.1 at our uni for 399 bucks.. it is kinda cheap... :P

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 03:19 AM

I asked if i could update my FCP 2 EDU to FCP 5 studio, for the said 699€, and some confused person at apple said it is not possible.

So,is it possible to upgrade a FCP 2 EDU to anything?Whoops. :o My bad. :o

No it isn't. You waited too many years. I guess the last chance to go up from old academic is from 4/4.5 to 5.1 UB FCS. The upgrade form clearly states that academic versions are included.

Owners of academic 1, 2 & 3 are exempt. I guess that's the penalty for waiting all these years. I paid $300 for academic 3. Academic 3 to Commercial 4 was $50. Now academic and commercial 4 to commercial 5 UB is $199.

But I guess academic PPC 5 just went to academic 5.1 UB FCS and will get no break to go to 6 other than buying 6 at the academic price. Oh well. Sorry about that. :o

You will just have to buy 5.1 or 6 at the academic price. I guess that's incentive for all the old owners of 1, 2 or 3 academic to wait for 6 academic.

Sorry for the stridency of my pitch. My enthusiasm for the $199 deal from 4 and PPC parts of 5 clowded my vision and caused me to overlook the problem with older academic versions and not understand the older 1, 2 & 3 academic versions are all at a dead end and have been since Summer 2003.

So academic 4/4.5 are the only versions allowed to go to 5.1UB FCS for only $199 now. All the earlier versions were too back in the day, but there was a window for you to exercise that option that closed when the 3 to 4 for $50 offer ended in early Summer 2003. That offer was made at the April '03 NAB as part of the 4 introduction and ended only a few months later. You had to be on top of the offer to realize that might be the last time you could graduate to 4 for almost no money.

In Fact: In 2003, Apple announced a program for Premiere users to trade in their discs for a free copy of Final Cut Express or a $500 discount on Final Cut ProI got 5 FREE copies of Final Cut Express that way. Upgrades from those to the current Final Cut Express 3.5 HD UB is only $99. PM me if you want to buy one of those from me.

When Apple offered 3 to 4 for $50 4 years ago in the Spring of 2003, I thought that was an offer no one could refuse and bought academic 3 for $300 at the last school store I could find in California that still had a copy left 200 miles south of me a week before the offer deadline. I figured anyone in academia knew to exercise that $50 or $350 option at most. Wasn't the cost of 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 also very low? As I recall it was.

My long winded excuse. Here's the history of Final Cut Pro if you want to study all the timelines. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Pro)

Lord Nerdos
Feb 23, 2007, 03:25 AM
They're not being held back. They're in parallel final development between firmware in the hardware and software in the system. You also have to take into account that Clovertown processors and their Stoakley-Seaburg (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1) support chips are only just now beginning to ship in quantity. So all the parts are just now arriving and still about to arrive at the assembly plants in China.Maybe. We don't know. That's one of many reasons we're still waiting. What we don't know could hurt us if we don't.You should do that in any case. Buying a 4 core MP is not wise right now if you can live without it for a few more weeks. It's less than 8 weeks to the opening of NAB expo April 16.We don't know. You mean Kentsfield? That would not be a Mac Pro unless they decide to make a Mac Pro Jr. They're not going to offer single Clovertown systems if that's what you're asking.And you think we're not? :confused: :eek: We have been telling you over on the 8 Core thread not to buy a 4 core Mac Pro. You even bragged to us how you gave up waiting this week Tuesday night on your post 360 over there (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3375864&postcount=360).You can return an unopened Mac at Apple's expense with full refund if you phone them to tell them you want to cancel the order.

We 8 Core faithful have been lobbying anyone who would listen that there is a good reason to wait for the Oct Mac Pro. If you take the time to read many of the 361 posts at the 8-Core Mac Pro In January?... thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3373586#post3373586), you would understand why. It's a long story. Bottom line is you will get a lot more bang for your bucks by waiting for an Oct Mac Pro (OMP). :eek:

Yup! Shame on me for being so impatient:o
I cancelled just now - I lost 10% on the "free" ipod nano - but I can live with that.
I have a split personality - the evil me was bragging about ordering the quad core, while the good me wanted to keep waiting for 8 cores and Leopard!:rolleyes:

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 03:28 AM
we have fcs 5.1 at our uni for 399 bucks.. it is kinda cheap... :pGet it while it's hot. That's a steal. Could be resold for $599 easy.

Gasu E.
Feb 23, 2007, 07:59 AM

ThinkSecret believes (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702finalcutpro6.html) that Final Cut Pro 6 will finally make its debut at NAB, which takes place April 14-19. The software was originally expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/01/04/final-cut-pro-6-final-cut-extreme-xserve-raid/) at last year's NAB which instead saw the release of the 17" MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/24/apple-releases-17-macbook-pro/)

Wow, that is steep. I was planning to make my own version of Lord of the Rings (I found Jackson's to be sparse and inadequate) and was counting on some affordable tools to make that possible. This likely pushes that project outside my budget. ;)

TheSpaz
Feb 23, 2007, 08:00 AM
Maybe they'll release Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8 too! *Crosses Fingers*

jasonfj
Feb 23, 2007, 08:39 AM
I'm wondering what Apple's been up to with their Shake engine. Seems ever since they dropped the price and development it's been destined for something else... maybe we're about to see what? :cool:

p0intblank
Feb 23, 2007, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty close to purchasing Final Cut Express HD... does this rumor pertain to this product as well? If so I guess I should hold off, huh?

elppa
Feb 23, 2007, 09:28 AM
This signals to me Leopard is nearly ready.

Why would you bring out an app that needs Core Animation if you don't have an operating system with Core Animation to run it on?

That would make no sense, unless FCP 6 is only going to be demoed and not released, but the TS article definitely says released.

guzhogi
Feb 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
Why does it seem like all Apple software is waiting for Leopard? Is Core Animation really going to be that necessary? But then again, we can still use iLife '06. We have just been trained to want new versions of software every couple of months.

Anyways, $10,000 is a lot. I hope it'll come w/ a Power Mac G16 or something!

I know this is a little off topic, but I hope they announce a 30th Anniversary Mac. I just got a 20th Anniversary one from eBay. Very cool design. Maybe that's what the $10,000 hardware thing is! Remember that the TAM was originally $9,999 or something.

wavelayer
Feb 23, 2007, 09:49 AM
FC 5.1 is a very deep program. Just look at the size of the manuals. There's a lot to learn. As long as it's universal, I'll be using 5.1 for a long time. Pair it up with Motion and it's beyond what most people need for pretty much anything. It'll work in Leopard, too.

tk421
Feb 23, 2007, 09:53 AM
I'm wondering what Apple's been up to with their Shake engine. Seems ever since they dropped the price and development it's been destined for something else... maybe we're about to see what? :cool:

Absolutely. Shake was and is an incredible program. I'm sure Apple is incorporating Shake technologies into further products.

Why does it seem like all Apple software is waiting for Leopard? Is Core Animation really going to be that necessary? But then again, we can still use iLife '06. We have just been trained to want new versions of software every couple of months.

Anyways, $10,000 is a lot. I hope it'll come w/ a Power Mac G16 or something!

I know this is a little off topic, but I hope they announce a 30th Anniversary Mac. I just got a 20th Anniversary one from eBay. Very cool design. Maybe that's what the $10,000 hardware thing is! Remember that the TAM was originally $9,999 or something.

Again, FCP Extreme is not a consumer product. A 30th Anniversary Mac might be nice, but it isn't at all what a post production facility is looking for.

puckhead193
Feb 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
What do you think i would get if i were to sell my edition? I have all manuals etc.. $400/500
I think first i should see if it will run on my iMac lol ;)

crjeong
Feb 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
Perhaps we'll see Final Touch intergrated into Final Cut???? Fingers crossed!

aloofman
Feb 23, 2007, 10:50 AM
This so-called "Final Cut Extreme" was rumored for last year's NAB. I remember because it happened to be something I was interested in for week and I was going to NAB. This is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things.

whatever
Feb 23, 2007, 10:52 AM
Don't worry, there won't be any refreshes to the Mac Pro line this quarter and the 8-core system won't be seen at the earliest before 4th quarter or 2007.

The entire PC industry is being very careful in the "Core Wars", they don't won't to make the same mistakes that were made during the MHz Wars (every month a new CPU would come out and be faster than last months). As a Mac user, we didn't really get to experience that, but just look at the toll that it took at Dell. The constant changing product lines and the rapidly changing hardware took it's toll on their Support.

However, new MacBook Pros are coming....
**Homer style "Doh!!!"**

A hardware/software combo for the extreme version would make sense. The ultra high powered 8-core system with a highly optimised final cut.

I can but dream...

GeorgeTheMonkey
Feb 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
Here's a question for multimedia, and any others interested in answering it. This is vaguely similar to what you already answered, except in my case we're not dealing with the academic version any longer.

I currently have FCP 4 (upgraded from FCP3/Academic - this *did* become commercial when I upgraded), but haven't used it for a while. As I dive back into video, I'd like to upgrade to the latest and greatest, but don't know which will be more cost effective:

1) Upgrade from FCP 4 -> 5.1UB FCS (Current) -> FCP 6
Apple currently offers the FCP 4 & HD upgrade to the complete FCS for $199. This was exactly what I was planning on doing up until the NAB news. I'd then be set to simply go through the regular upgrade, like everybody else, after NAB.

2) Wait until NAB and FCP 6, then try to upgrade from FCP 4 -> FCP 6.
The trade-off of this could possibly lie in whether Apple allows owners of the past several versions to upgrade to FCP 6 for roughly the same price, or whether owners of pre-"current" (i.e. before 5.1UB FCS) are going to be penalized a couple hundred more.

As you know, the previous deal for option #1 expires on March 19th, so I'd need to decide before then. A good part of me suspects that even if Apple charges an additional amount for FCP 4 users to upgrade to the FCP 6 package, that it'd only be an extra $100 or so, or maybe $300. When I'm looking at the "5.1UB FCS" upgrade price + $200 for option #1, I may well be able to skirt out on paying a couple hundred of that.

But is it worth it to gamble, or should I just kick in the bucket and do the FCP 4 -> 5.1UB FCS upgrade now and upgrade to 6 later, like every other good boy?

netdog
Feb 23, 2007, 11:03 AM
So Multimedia, if I buy FCS now at my EDU discount (HE in the UK) I can then upgrade for free to the commercial version of FCS before March 20? You are certain of this? I was going to buy FCE because FCS was not to be upgradeable and hence a lot of money for software that would have a shortish shelf life, but if this is true, I am ordering today.

Digital Skunk
Feb 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
FINALLY WHERE CAN I PICK IT UP!!

I want better integration with the other apps. I don't want to have to reconnect my media everytime I change something in Motion. I would like to add audio to Layered projects in DVD Studio Pro. I would LOVE to have multicamera editing like Avid Media Composer has.

As a matter of fact... just give me all the benefits of Media Composer with that great Apple integration. I am not too keen on media management in FCP. I am still learning but I never had a problem with it, even with larger projects, especially when I capture my footage the correct way. My card is still ready and waiting.... so bring it on and hopefully it isn't that expensive. :D

And better real time video editing with HD content. Come ON!!! I have to render every piece of footage I import into my timeline. MacPro 3GHz 8GB of Ram.... ummm.. what else does my job need??? (0_0) Still have to render each time I drop a clip...:D :D :D

GeorgeTheMonkey
Feb 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
And just for the sake of arguing with myself about the "to upgrade now" or "not to upgrade" thing...

If I were to use my time machine a bit and go forward to the release of FCP 6, here with me still clutching FCP 4 in my hands, I'd be two versions behind. Then if I were to hop back in my time machine and go back to today to look at the current upgrade/crossgrade paths, and let's say, imagine that I was also 2 versions behind today but wanting to upgrade to the current (5.1UB FCS to clarify; all this time travel is difficult), then what would Apple offer me?

A $699 upgrade. To go up two versions from FCP 3 -> 5.1.

So I'd imagine something similar will occur when 6 is released; any Final Cut owner that's two versions behind or greater will be significantly penalized. Even accounting for the $200 upgrade price now, the upgrade from 5.1UB FCS to 6 would have to be $500 or more for me not to get ripped off going from 4 -> 6.

Hmmm.

tk421
Feb 23, 2007, 11:21 AM
...I would LOVE to have multicamera editing like Avid Media Composer has. ...

FCP does have multicam editing. You can't mix resolutions, like Avid, but if they are the same res, you can group clips and edit in a mulitcamera way very similar to Avid's.

digitalbiker
Feb 23, 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking the opposite. 8 Core will likely be a Leopard Mac from day one thanks to better multi-task multi-core management capabilities in Leopard and the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset on the new Oct Mac Pro logicboard. This needs to come with or just before the NAB announcement of FCS 6 and Extreeme for maximum impact and super kickstart sales. Pent up demand for the OctMP will probably make getting one another waiting game even after we all order them on day one.

I agree with you MM.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a March announcement of iLife 07, Leopard, & Mac Pro Octo. All of this will be closely followed with FCS 6 and Extreme at NAB.

I need a new Mac Pro and I have waited long enough!

Butthead
Feb 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
Don't worry, there won't be any refreshes to the Mac Pro line this quarter and the 8-core system won't be seen at the earliest before 4th quarter or 2007.

Now be nice, don't throw the throngs of DQheads (dual quad) into a ferver, they want to believe so badly, it must be true...it's all coming out around NAB, or maybe it's not!

New MBP's with Santa Rosa, LED backlit screens, and for NAB like in the past announcement, finally a 2k res screen on the new 17in model.

IIRC, Apple has never offered a combo hardware/software solution, but I suppose there is a 1st time for everything. But I'll just call it a silly rumor just like last years FCX for the Red (which btw, still is not even close to shipping a working model, though we hear it's supposed to make a 'debut' at NAB this year). So what if Apple ships a modest 4 core speed bumped MP, and launches FC6.0 at the same time, people will still by it irregardless of some upcoming Leopard release or supposed 8 core- SuperMP model. Whatever the hardware, I'll be willing to bet whatever FCX is, you'll be able to buy it separate from any hardware combo. Tying it into one piece of hardware just doesn't fit the Apple strategy, never has. 'FCX' may run slower or do less things, but I'll bet you'll be able to run most, if not all of it, on the NAB announced Santa Rosa based MBP 17in...you read it here 1st, hah!

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
Here's a question for multimedia, and any others interested in answering it. This is vaguely similar to what you already answered, except in my case we're not dealing with the academic version any longer.

I currently have FCP 4 (upgraded from FCP3/Academic - this *did* become commercial when I upgraded), but haven't used it for a while. As I dive back into video, I'd like to upgrade to the latest and greatest, but don't know which will be more cost effective:

1) Upgrade from FCP 4 -> 5.1UB FCS (Current) -> FCP 6
Apple currently offers the FCP 4 & HD upgrade to the complete FCS for $199. This was exactly what I was planning on doing up until the NAB news. I'd then be set to simply go through the regular upgrade, like everybody else, after NAB.Yes this is what you must do by March 20. I am happy to read that you are independent confirmation the academic FCP 3 to 4 upgrade turned it into commercial as I have stated elsewhere. This is why I assumed the 4/4.5 to 5.1UB upgrade would do the same. But now I'm not certain because the only report of an upgrade to 5.1UB that didn't become commercial that I've read above from brianbobcat in post #30 is missing the version number of what he upgraded from (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3382697&postcount=30). I can see PPC 5 to 5.1 UB staying academic. But I still think academic 4/4.5 will become commercial until I read otherwise.

Bigbossbmb confirms the 4/4.5 academic + $199 Upgrade becomes commercial 5.1UB for sure at post #67 below. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3384105&postcount=67)

Nevertheless the $99 PPC FCP 5 to FCS 5.1UB deal is amazing even though your 5 stays academic after you get 5.1 UB.2) Wait until NAB and FCP 6, then try to upgrade from FCP 4 -> FCP 6.
The trade-off of this could possibly lie in whether Apple allows owners of the past several versions to upgrade to FCP 6 for roughly the same price, or whether owners of pre-"current" (i.e. before 5.1UB FCS) are going to be penalized a couple hundred more.NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Only a fool would wait for the unknown price of 4 to 6 when they can get 5.1UB until March 20 for $199. Are you daft?As you know, the previous deal for option #1 expires on March 19th, so I'd need to decide before then. A good part of me suspects that even if Apple charges an additional amount for FCP 4 users to upgrade to the FCP 6 package, that it'd only be an extra $100 or so, or maybe $300. When I'm looking at the "5.1UB FCS" upgrade price + $200 for option #1, I may well be able to skirt out on paying a couple hundred of that.In your freaking demented DREAMS! They shut down all upgrade bargains from 1, 2 & 3 to 4 only a few months after announcing 4. Get real George. Don't be a Monkey. ;) But is it worth it to gamble, or should I just kick in the bucket and do the FCP 4 -> 5.1UB FCS upgrade now and upgrade to 6 later, like every other good boy?That would be a Duh! Yes to this question. Why? Because upgrade from 4 to 6 price is completely unknown and usually older version (below the number that's immediately below the number of the new version - i.e. 1, 2, 3, & 4) upgrades to a new version cost more. You can see howSo the odds are it will cost less to go from 5.1 to 6 than from 4 to 6. Plus 5.1UB is no slouch and you should be very happy with it for some time even if 6 is the Bomb. 5.1UB is definitely the Bomb Jr.This is exactly why I upgraded to FCS 5.1 a couple of weeks ago, even though it won't even run on my current machine. Chances are the price for 4 -> 6 will be around the same as 3 -> 5.1 is now. So there is a good chance the 4->5.1->6 upgrade path will be cheaper/equal...plus since 5.1 is universal, I don't have to upgrade to 6 if I don't need it.Exactly. Well put.So Multimedia, if I buy FCS now at my EDU discount (HE in the UK) I can then upgrade for free to the commercial version of FCS before March 20? You are certain of this? I was going to buy FCE because FCS was not to be upgradeable and hence a lot of money for software that would have a shortish shelf life, but if this is true, I am ordering today.I was mistaken about academic PPC 5 going to commercial 5.1 so the answer is no. Buying FCE ed would be your right way to go short term. Sorry for the confusion. In Post #38 here I wrote about my mistake explaining why I made it (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3382871&postcount=38). Sorry folks. :o The upgrade window closed on academic FCP 1, 2 & 3 way back in Summer of 2003. I knew that but had forgotten it. :o

guzhogi
Feb 23, 2007, 12:07 PM

The entire PC industry is being very careful in the "Core Wars", they don't won't to make the same mistakes that were made during the MHz Wars (every month a new CPU would come out and be faster than last months). As a Mac user, we didn't really get to experience that, but just look at the toll that it took at Dell. The constant changing product lines and the rapidly changing hardware took it's toll on their Support.

I agree that companies should wait on adding cores. Very few programs can use them, much less 4+ efficiently. Right now, multiple cores would only truly benefit people who use multiple programs at once.

LethalWolfe
Feb 23, 2007, 12:12 PM
And better real time video editing with HD content. Come ON!!! I have to render every piece of footage I import into my timeline. MacPro 3GHz 8GB of Ram.... ummm.. what else does my job need??? (0_0) Still have to render each time I drop a clip...:D :D :D

If you have to render every piece of footage you import into your timeline you project is setup incorrectly.

Lethal

TheAnswer
Feb 23, 2007, 12:17 PM
And just for the sake of arguing with myself about the "to upgrade now" or "not to upgrade" thing...

I'd imagine something similar will occur when 6 is released; any Final Cut owner that's two versions behind or greater will be significantly penalized. Even accounting for the $200 upgrade price now, the upgrade from 5.1UB FCS to 6 would have to be $500 or more for me not to get ripped off going from 4 -> 6.

Hmmm.

This is exactly why I upgraded to FCS 5.1 a couple of weeks ago, even though it won't even run on my current machine. Chances are the price for 4 -> 6 will be around the same as 3 -> 5.1 is now. So there is a good chance the 4->5.1->6 upgrade path will be cheaper/equal...plus since 5.1 is universal, I don't have to upgrade to 6 if I don't need it.

TVGenius
Feb 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
Look for Apple to be making more of a push into the news editing market too this year. While in NYC recently, I was able to see how one of the European networks is using a new workflow with XDCAM and FCP that streamlines the process for ENG editors, and also learned that one of the major US networks' news divisions is in the process of showing Avid the door to the tune of about 60 new FCP stations, both Mac Pros and MacBook Pros. Apparently they spent months trying to convince Apple to be more proactive about the news editing market, and now Apple has finally embraced them and it looking for ways to improve functionality for those users.

TVGenius
Feb 23, 2007, 12:57 PM
This signals to me Leopard is nearly ready.

Why would you bring out an app that needs Core Animation if you don't have an operating system with Core Animation to run it on?

That would make no sense, unless FCP 6 is only going to be demoed and not released, but the TS article definitely says released.

They've shown FCP running on non-released versions of OS X in at least one of the past years (I can't remember which year or which version of OS X though... think it was 2 yrs ago though). I remember Apple>About This Mac'ing the system on display to see if they were running the new OS or not...

bonehead
Feb 23, 2007, 01:03 PM
If you have to render every piece of footage you import into your timeline you project is setup incorrectly.

Lethal

I agree. Check the sequence settings.

bigbossbmb
Feb 23, 2007, 01:30 PM
Only Academic users of FCP 4 or 4.5 will get the commercial version of 5.1. Nobody knows the upgrade price to FCP6. My guess is that it will be reasonable for 5.1users and a LOT for previous versions.

I had Academic 4.5 and made out like a bandit getting 5.1 for only $199 last fall.

As for FCP 6? I think it is very likely that it will require Leopard, which means that 10.5 will ship before FCP. Why? 5.1 requires Tiger and Apple knows that the $129 for an OS upgrade is negligiable to Pro users.

Digital Skunk
Feb 23, 2007, 01:45 PM

Lethal

Hey... what can I do to stop that. I have to import HD footage at native res. How should the project be setup, or is there a link? :confused: :confused:

Digital Skunk
Feb 23, 2007, 01:47 PM
FCP does have multicam editing. You can't mix resolutions, like Avid, but if they are the same res, you can group clips and edit in a mulitcamera way very similar to Avid's.

But not as easy as assigning cameras to certain keys and just pressing the key and having the clips import into the timeline. Or is there something I am missing?

whenpaulsparks
Feb 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
Mike Curtis at HD For Indies (www.hdforindies.com) provides a good debunking of this rumor.

http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/02/rumors-of-final-cut-pro-6-at-nab.html

milo
Feb 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
So does this finally mean a real update for the steaming turd that is Soundtrack Pro? Or are they just going to continue to let that one fester?

LethalWolfe
Feb 23, 2007, 02:43 PM
Hey... what can I do to stop that. I have to import HD footage at native res. How should the project be setup, or is there a link? :confused: :confused:

I don't know what format HD you are working with, but my first suggestion is to use the appropriate "Easy Setup".

-Andrew

guzhogi
Feb 23, 2007, 02:43 PM

Multicamera editing is pretty cool. Very helpful.

"TK421, why aren't you at your post?" Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Digital Skunk
Feb 23, 2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know what format HD you are working with, but my first suggestion is to use the appropriate "Easy Setup".

-Andrew

720p... is the format. Maybe I should stop being lazy and ask some people who actually know what they are talking about:p . Or just read the manual. But that isn't the college way.... :cool:

afields
Feb 23, 2007, 03:20 PM
what about logic 8 :(

roland.g
Feb 23, 2007, 03:23 PM
Any idea if and when FCE HD 4 will come out. I am thinking of getting 3.5 for $99 with new Mac but that expires 3.27.07. Probably because that is right before Leopard ships.

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 04:08 PM
Any idea if and when FCE HD 4 will come out. I am thinking of getting 3.5 for $99 with new Mac but that expires 3.27.07. Probably because that is right before Leopard ships.Usually after the next version of FCP is out. But the end of the discount offer for FCE 3.5 may mean 4 ships the following month along side FCS 6. Often times the discount rebate offers are designed to get rid of aging hardware and software just before the new versions are announced. Buyer Beware.:eek:

chubad
Feb 23, 2007, 04:52 PM
This is not a rumor anymore. It will happen for certain. Beyond all doubt. You can bet on it.

Why?

Because I just bought Final Cut Studio 5 today! :D :D :D

(I don't feel bad. I got a great price on an open box return.) Besides it will get me the discounted upgrade price.

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 05:17 PM
Only Academic users of FCP 4 or 4.5 will get the commercial version of 5.1. Nobody knows the upgrade price to FCP6. My guess is that it will be reasonable for 5.1users and a LOT for previous versions.

I had Academic 4.5 and made out like a bandit getting 5.1 for only $199 last fall.

As for FCP 6? I think it is very likely that it will require Leopard, which means that 10.5 will ship before FCP. Why? 5.1 requires Tiger and Apple knows that the $129 for an OS upgrade is negligiable to Pro users.OK so you are confirming that your academic 4.5 became commercial 5.1UB when you got it with all the Educational graphics gone from the splash screen right? This is what I was saying but some were challenging me it wasn't true. Please reply with confirmation. Thanks. :)

mr_austin
Feb 23, 2007, 05:19 PM
A real-time mixed codec/framerate timeline would be a welcome improvement.

Oh yeah, Shake-like optical flow for slo-motion.

Oh yeah, better color correction including a curves editor and some built-in image processing tools like blurs, power windows, etc.

I'll give you media manager and mixed frame rates, but most of your issues can be solved with plugins.

Colorista (http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magicbulletcolorista.html)

Color Finesse 2 (http://www.synthetic-ap.com/products/cf/index.html)

Twixtor (http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/)

and the biggest plugin of all... Shake (http://www.apple.com/shake/)

Final Touch is nice, but colorista is pretty swank, and only $199.

LethalWolfe
Feb 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
720p... is the format. Maybe I should stop being lazy and ask some people who actually know what they are talking about:p . Or just read the manual. But that isn't the college way.... :cool:
No, 720p is the resolution, not the format. ;) Are you working w/DVCPro HD, HDV, etc.?

I must agree that cracking open the manual may make you life a little easier.

Lethal

mpstrex
Feb 23, 2007, 07:46 PM
FCP5 and 5.1 provided the best native HDV cutting support over any other NLE for a long time. Now most handle it well. Premiere is going back to the Mac, but I don't know if it'll do as well as pundits think.

Among other things, I'd like to see v. 6 be able to remove the pulldown from the Sony HVR-V1u's 24p-in-a-60i stream (much like the DVX100 series, etc.) and, on the high end, support RED's 4k (www.red.com). But I think seeing Sony's HDCAM and higher support will be in the (still-rumored) FCExtreme.

mpstrex

bigbossbmb
Feb 23, 2007, 07:48 PM
OK so you are confirming that your academic 4.5 became commercial 5.1UB when you got it with all the Educational graphics gone from the splash screen right? This is what I was saying but some were challenging me it wasn't true. Please reply with confirmation. Thanks. :)

I am absolutely confirming this. It only happens with 4 and 4.5, nothing earlier...but it does happen. I now have a retail license and I will almost certainly upgrade to 6 when it arrives.

The reason Academic 5 users don't go retail is because they use the same serial for 5.1. Since I went from 4.5 to 5.1, I got an entirely new serial and they only gave out retail licenses.

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 09:36 PM
I am absolutely confirming this. It only happens with 4 and 4.5, nothing earlier...but it does happen. I now have a retail license and I will almost certainly upgrade to 6 when it arrives.

The reason Academic 5 users don't go retail is because they use the same serial for 5.1. Since I went from 4.5 to 5.1, I got an entirely new serial and they only gave out retail licenses.That's what I have been telling people since last year. But some here doubted it. I had the same experience you had last Fall back in Spring of 2003 when I bought an Academic copy of 3 for $300 specifically so I could immediately send it in with $50 for an almost free upgrade only to happily receive a commercial copy of FCP 4 back from Apple.

It's too bad so many in academia overlook these rare opportunities to advance their software to full commercial for almost no charge. Once you get that commercial liscense you are set for life with each susequent upgrade charge relatively small. Unfortunately I believe Apple will not do this any more. They seem to have decided recently to disallow advancement to the next version from Academic versions any more ever again. This is likely the LAST TIME one will be able to do this. Glad to see you were on the ball BigBoss. :)

LethalWolfe
Feb 23, 2007, 10:07 PM
Among other things, I'd like to see v. 6 be able to remove the pulldown from the Sony HVR-V1u's 24p-in-a-60i stream (much like the DVX100 series, etc.) and, on the high end, support RED's 4k (www.red.com). But I think seeing Sony's HDCAM and higher support will be in the (still-rumored) FCExtreme.

mpstrex

Only Sony's Xpri system natively supports HDCAM as Sony hasn't released the codec (and probably never will). But you can still ingest HDCAM material you just need something like a Decklink or Kona card to transcode the video into another codec on capture.

Lethal

GeorgeTheMonkey
Feb 24, 2007, 02:51 AM
Are you daft?In your freaking demented DREAMS! They shut down all upgrade bargains from 1, 2 & 3 to 4 only a few months after announcing 4. Get real George. Don't be a Monkey. ;)
But I am a monkey. It's in the username, George The Monkey. Why wouldn't I want to be a monkey?

I just asked the question because it seemed like you really enjoyed answering them.

Anyway, thanks, TheAnswer and multimedia. I'll go along with it and upgrade now, then have at least have The Bomb Jr. (5.1UB) when FCP 6 releases. :cool:

JeffDM
Feb 24, 2007, 03:08 PM
Frankly, The FCX rumor for last year was way out of line. That's one of the reasons I really don't trust Think Secret. As I've seen noted in other places, usually Apple releases a major update Final Cut Pro every other year, last year wasn't that year because FCS 5 was released in 2005. The changeover of the entire FCS to Universal Binary was probably extremely taxing at best anyway.

I think FCX would be an interesting thing, with its preferred computer and a RED One, it could change how major motion pictures are made. I'm not holding my breath, but I think the hypothetical FCX would be a lot more interesting than an Avid system to the prospective RED customer, because of the cost.

Anyway, I personally expect to see FCS6 + the next Mac Pro announced at NAB, and released when Leopard is released. I don't think it would be because of Core Animation but more likely because of improved encoders and much better multithread/multicore handling. I think most of the previews & effects are already done in Core Image, I'm not sure what efficiencies can be had using Core Animation. Maybe a major revision in Motion to allow a more powerful program.

Multimedia
Feb 24, 2007, 06:03 PM
I really hope we see the ability to embed Closed Captioning in our videos and movies with FCP 6. This is a feature that's taken far too long to be available to us all. :) It's very expensive to get it done after the fact. :(

Butthead
Feb 24, 2007, 06:05 PM
Read this link for better perspective.

Red One Cam? They may announce it at NAB, just wondering when it will ship? Could be 6 months from now. No need for a FCX 4k workflow solution from Apple if the Red isn't shipping yet. Look for a updated version of FCS to handle 4k, cause I doubt any FCX (if it even exists) is going to have that support now.

LethalWolfe
Feb 24, 2007, 09:36 PM
Read this link for better perspective.

Red One Cam? They may announce it at NAB, just wondering when it will ship? Could be 6 months from now. No need for a FCX 4k workflow solution from Apple if the Red isn't shipping yet. Look for a updated version of FCS to handle 4k, cause I doubt any FCX (if it even exists) is going to have that support now.

No offense but that's the third time that link has been posted.

Lethal

whoooaaahhhh
Feb 25, 2007, 12:14 AM
As has been said many times, this rumor pops up repeatedly and has never solidified. While I do believe that FCP6 could come out this year, I don't think FCExtreme will come out this year, or if it does, it will definitely be more than 10 grand...probably 20 at least. If it's going to somehow do 4K, they'll have to compete with an AVID DS Nitris, which fetches around 125K and that's just the software and the Nitris Box, you still need the computer and the storage.

I love FCP...I love it even more than Avid, and I use avid almost every day...but I can't believe they'd get into 4K when 2K barely works...and there's no monitor to display it yet.

brianbobcat
Feb 26, 2007, 03:18 AM
That's what I have been telling people since last year. But some here doubted it. I had the same experience you had last Fall back in Spring of 2003 when I bought an Academic copy of 3 for $300 specifically so I could immediately send it in with $50 for an almost free upgrade only to happily receive a commercial copy of FCP 4 back from Apple.

It's too bad so many in academia overlook these rare opportunities to advance their software to full commercial for almost no charge. Once you get that commercial liscense you are set for life with each susequent upgrade charge relatively small. Unfortunately I believe Apple will not do this any more. They seem to have decided recently to disallow advancement to the next version from Academic versions any more ever again. This is likely the LAST TIME one will be able to do this. Glad to see you were on the ball BigBoss. :)

Again, I just reopened my Final Cut Version 5.1.3 and it clearly says Academic, but you said that's cause I used the same serial number. So do I actually have commercial, or will I upon next upgrade I do, say to 6? I don't want to confuse anyone, but I'm looking at a screenshot of my license agreement box upon startup and it says Final Cut Pro followed on the next line by Academic.

-Brian

bigbossbmb
Feb 26, 2007, 09:56 PM
Brian,

You went from 5.0>5.1 correct?

Then you still have an Academic version which is not eligible for upgrades. 5.1 was considered a crossgrade and was not an entirely new version of the software. When FCP6 comes out, you will have to purchase the whole suite again at whatever the student price is, there is no upgrade path for Academic pricing.

superspiffy
Feb 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
I'm confused with all the upgrading talk in this thread. Here's my story:

I don't have Final Cut Studio yet, but I am planning to buy it when I buy my Mac. Is it better/cheaper to buy the FCS 5.1 academic version now? (I'm a college student) then upgrade to 6? or buy the FCS 6 academic version when it comes out?

TheAnswer
Feb 26, 2007, 10:22 PM

I don't have Final Cut Studio yet, but I am planning to buy it when I buy my Mac. Is it better/cheaper to buy the FCS 5.1 academic version now? (I'm a college student) then upgrade to 6? or buy the FCS 6 academic version when it comes out?

Just wait if you don't own it already.

Multimedia
Feb 26, 2007, 10:27 PM

I don't have Final Cut Studio yet, but I am planning to buy it when I buy my Mac. Is it better/cheaper to buy the FCS 5.1 academic version now? (I'm a college student) then upgrade to 6? or buy the FCS 6 academic version when it comes out?What the Answer meant but didn't say directly is you CAN NOT upgrade Academic 5 to 6. So wait and buy Academic 6 when it comes out. But keep in mind you will not be able to upgrade from Academic 6 to 7 in a couple of years UNLESS Apple decides to be generous again and allow Academic versions to up then. But I'd say the odds are that is not going to happen ever again.

bigbossbmb
Feb 27, 2007, 01:22 PM

to get six, you would have to purchase the entire suite at the full academic price. so I would HIGHLY suggest you wait it out...

Multimedia
Feb 27, 2007, 01:38 PM

I don't have Final Cut Studio yet, but I am planning to buy it when I buy my Mac. Is it better/cheaper to buy the FCS 5.1 academic version now? (I'm a college student) then upgrade to 6? or buy the FCS 6 academic version when it comes out?This is a separate post based on the same quote from a college student because EVERYONE needs to be reminded of this ONE LAST OPTION.

ANY PPC component application OR upgrade of the FCS Suite qualifies for the $199 upgrade to FCS 5.1UB commercial.

You get 9 DVDs in an envelope with a new serial number that covers everything including QuickTime Pro. 2 of the DVDs are Tutorials. All the docs are in PDF form. Only downside is you don't get the big fat paper manuals this way.

This means if you are resorceful and HUNT DOWN (I have done this in the past and it is literally similar to a college scavenger hunt) one of these packages which you should be able to buy for less than $199 each, you can then send in one of those install DVDs with $199 and get the commercial version of FCS 5.1UB.

This includes:
ACADEMIC and Commercial:
PPC Motion 2
PPC Motion 2 Upgrade
PPC DVD Studio Pro 4 Upgrade
PPC DVD Studio Pro 4
PPC Soundtrack Pro
FCP 4/4.5 Upgrade from 3
FCP 4.5 Production Suite
and of course FCP 4/4.5

The main thing to note is that an Upgrade install DVD- both academic and commercial will get you the FCS 5.1UB for $199. I am 100% certain this is true because I advised a friend of this last summer, she bought a Motion 2 Upgrade for $199 - which would not work without a Motion 1 serial number which she did not have, sent in the DVD install disc with $199 and got the FCS 5.1UB back from Apple. No prior version serial numbers are needed for this FCS 5.1UB upgarde to work. It's a fresh install with a whole new number.

So if you can be resourceful and really SEARCH high and low for one of those PPC Upgrades be it academic or commercial in any academic or commercial store, mail order house or on-line reseller of Apple software throughout the entire USA - I drove 600 miles RT to get the last academic copy of FCP 3 in all of California four years ago for $300 'cause the upgrade to FCP 4 commercial was only $50 - then you will be rewarded for your perseverance and resourcefulness.

DEADLINE is now only 3 weeks away - March 20. So let's get it done people. I know you can do it if you try real hard. :)

Clarification: You don't need any serial numbers or proof of purchase. This is simply filling out the appropriate form you download from the crossgrade page PDF links (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/) and sending it and $199 with an original install DVD to Indiana that qualifys you to receive the commercial copy of FCS 5.1UB back from Apple. Nothing more. Nothing less. Except local sales tax of course.

Multimedia
Feb 27, 2007, 01:42 PM
to get six, you would have to purchase the entire suite at the full academic price. so I would HIGHLY suggest you wait it out...EXCEPT if you follow my instructions in the above post in which case you would then be set for life with an upgradable commercial version of 5.1.4UB that you can use to graduate to 6 for the standard commercial price and so forth the rest of your life.

superspiffy
Feb 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
So if you can be resourceful and really SEARCH high and low for one of those PPC Upgrades be it academic or commercial in any academic or commercial store, mail order house or on-line reseller of Apple software throughout the entire USA - I drove 600 miles RT to get the last academic copy of FCP 3 four years ago for $300 'cause the upgrade to FCP 4 commercial was only $50 - then you will be rewarded for your perseverance and resourcefulness.

wait wait wait... so if i purchase just about any one PPC software... i can turn it in to Apple with 199 bucks and get the entire commercial 5.1 Final Cut Studio pack?

Eidorian
Feb 27, 2007, 03:27 PM
wait wait wait... so if i purchase just about any one PPC software... i can turn it in to Apple with 199 bucks and get the entire commercial 5.1 Final Cut Studio pack?http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/

lionsreplayman1
Feb 27, 2007, 04:22 PM
What all of you have failed to mention is that STEVE BAYS, author of THE AVID HANDBOOK has been the product manager of FCP for just over one year.

When the next update comes along, STEVE will have AVID begging for mercy!!!

Good luck to ANY Avid Editors who have not come over from the dark-side.

We will kick some AVID DS butts on a sub $10K system.

One word for ANY ONE complaining about the price, iMOVIE.

www.vidcamproductions.com

Multimedia
Feb 27, 2007, 04:58 PM
wait wait wait... so if i purchase just about any one PPC software... i can turn it in to Apple with 199 bucks and get the entire commercial 5.1 Final Cut Studio pack?You are correct sir. I'm wondering if most FCP owners and prospective buyers even take the time to read the crossgrade/upgrade offer page (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/).

This is Apple's way of saying "we're sorry you're going to have to buy a new Intel Mac to get the most out of future Final Cut Pro so we're gonna make it real easy and cheap for you to migrate with us even if all you have is an academic piece of PPC Studio or the last PPC Only version of Final Cut Pro."

Once In A Lifetime Offer bargain if you ask me.

JeffDM
Feb 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
One word for ANY ONE complaining about the price, iMOVIE.

Meh, it's not very good, in my opinion. Pinnacle Studio is better at the job, generally a lot more flexible, more efficient and faster than iMovie/iDVD, and it's not hard to use.

geek boy
Feb 27, 2007, 10:18 PM
hey multimedia, the order forms to upgrade motion etc. say that the offer expires dec 20 2006. you say march 20, have they been extended? thanks

Multimedia
Feb 27, 2007, 10:23 PM
hey multimedia, the order forms to upgrade motion etc. say that the offer expires dec 20 2006. you say march 20, have they been extended? thanksYes it has been extended to March 20 due to demand. You can phone them in Indiana at the 800 number on the form to confirm this if you don't believe me.

geek boy
Feb 27, 2007, 10:26 PM
thanks multimedia, now to track down some old software. if i can pull this off you are a god. cheers

superspiffy
Feb 28, 2007, 04:10 AM
So will Apple send me FCS 5.1 with the big nifty box that comes with all the manuals?

Rod Rod
Feb 28, 2007, 04:41 AM
Meh, it's not very good, in my opinion. Pinnacle Studio is better at the job, generally a lot more flexible, more efficient and faster than iMovie/iDVD, and it's not hard to use.
He most likely meant "people complaining about the price of FCS."
So will Apple send me FCS 5.1 with the big nifty box that comes with all the manuals?
No, you'll get a bunch of discs.

Multimedia
Feb 28, 2007, 07:07 AM
So will Apple send me FCS 5.1 with the big nifty box that comes with all the manuals?All upgrades from Apple do not include original box and paper manuals any more. They used to include the paper manuals in a big brown box but not any more. Instead all the manuals are on the DVDs in PDF form. You get a padded manila envelope containing 9 DVDs:

Final Cut Studio Install
Soundtrack Pro Install
Apple Loops for SoundTrack Pro
LiveType Media 1
LiveType Media 2
Motion 2 Install
DVD Studio Pro 4 Install
Apple Pro Training Final Cut Studio Tutorials
Apple Pro Training Final Cut Studio DVD Tutorial

your license and a 14 page Installing Your Software pamphlet with your serial number stickers on it.

MacMan421
Feb 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
I have the Academic version of Final Cut 5, if I upgrade to the 5.1 studio will I get the Academic version as well, or the commercial version?

I know it's been said that if you have Final Cut Studio 5 you continue to use the same serial, but what if you you upgrade from just Final Cut?

MacMan421
Feb 28, 2007, 12:29 PM
I was also wondering if anybody knows if you take a program from Final Cut Studio 5 academic and turn that in for the $199 price, to get the FCP 5.1 Commercial?

Ex.
Take DVD Studio Pro 4 from Final Cut Studio 5, and turn that program in, do you get the commercial version of Studio 5.1?

Or is it stand alone program only that can be submitted for the commercial version?

Abu Reno
Feb 28, 2007, 12:53 PM
Bring it to daddy!!! I have a feeling they not only dropped the price of shake and support but only to incorporate it in FCE. It will be like 3 appz in one. Sort of like the Amiga Toaster if any of you remember. There was Lightwave 3D, Toaster, and a paint box program. If this is true. IT'S BAD ASS!:eek:

Multimedia
Feb 28, 2007, 01:25 PM
I have the Academic version of Final Cut 5, if I upgrade to the 5.1 studio will I get the Academic version as well, or the commercial version?

I know it's been said that if you have Final Cut Studio 5 you continue to use the same serial, but what if you you upgrade from just Final Cut?You have PPC Version FCP 5 only? Use that to get 5.1UB for only $99. (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/) I'm 99% sure the answer is yes. In any event you are nuts if you don't send in your DVD with $99 to get Studio 5.1UB MacMan.I was also wondering if anybody knows if you take a program from Final Cut Studio 5 academic and turn that in for the $199 price, to get the FCP 5.1 Commercial?

Ex.
Take DVD Studio Pro 4 from Final Cut Studio 5, and turn that program in, do you get the commercial version of Studio 5.1?

Or is it stand alone program only that can be submitted for the commercial version?No. That part of the program only applies to the PPC parts that were sold as separate products up until FCS 5.1UB Shipped last Spring when they stopped selling each part of Studio separately. I'm confused about what you have. :confused: Do you have PPC FCP 5 or PPC FCStudio 5? PPC FCStudio 5 to 5.1UB is only $49 for the Crossgrade.

You know if you would simply download the upgrade or crossgrade form that applies to what you have and read it, you wouldn't have to ask here. :rolleyes: :eek:

You can also phone the upgrade department in Indiana 888-840-8433 M-F 8am-8pm Eastern time and ask them.

The Terms & Conditions clearly state all the different part numbers and product names that qualify. I see the Postmark must be by March 19 and the order must be received by March 30. I think the best way to send it is my US Postal Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation Request which also acts as a proof of mailing document since it shows where it starts as well as where it ends.

MacMan421
Feb 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, I have PPC Final Cut Studio 5 (academic version). I know that if I send in $49 I could get studio 5.1 (but it would still be academic). I was wondering if I could use one of the program from studio (ex. DVD Studio Pro 4) and apply that to get the upgrade to Final Cut Studio 5.1 (commercial). I called the number but I wasn't sure if the rep understood the situation I was asking. Has anyone tried this?

Multimedia
Feb 28, 2007, 02:35 PM
Ok, I have PPC Final Cut Studio 5 (academic version). I know that if I send in $49 I could get studio 5.1 (but it would still be academic because an Apple crossgrade rep told me on the phone that they do not give out new serial numbers with the 5 to 5.1UB crossgrade).Thanks for clearing that up as to why by telling us you called them and that is what they said. I was wondering if I could use one of the program from studio (ex. DVD Studio Pro 4) and apply that to get the upgrade to Final Cut Studio 5.1 (commercial). I called the number but I wasn't sure if the rep understood the situation I was asking. Has anyone tried this?NO you CANNOT. That part is only for seaparate PPC products that were sold as individual products between APRIL NAB '05 and APRIL NAB '06 before Studio became the only way you could get them after last year's NAB '06 when Studio went to 5.1UB and none of it's parts went into separate UB products any more.

It is way worth $49 to get the 5.1UB from 5 even though it stays Academic. You gain the ability to run 5.1 on Intel Macs that you will be glad you bought no matter how much longer it is before you buy one. It is full of bug fixes and features that 5 doesn't have including the PPC code not the least of which is support for DVCPRO HD, a better version of Compressor and better HDV support among many more improvements since 5.

MacMan421
Feb 28, 2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input

Rod Rod
Mar 1, 2007, 05:56 AM
You gain the ability to run 5.1 on Intel Macs that you will be glad you bought no matter how much longer it is before you buy one. It is full of bug fixes and features that 5 doesn't have including the PPC code not the least of which is support for DVCPRO HD, a better version of Compressor and better HDV support among many more improvements since 5.

Good points, but DVCProHD support came as of FCP 4.5 (a.k.a. FCP HD).

Let me add that FCP 5.1.x runs faster on PPC hardware compared to FCP 5.0.x. So who wouldn't want a speed boost on their existing hardware?

superspiffy
Mar 1, 2007, 01:56 PM
I found a FCP 4.0.1 Academic (M9153LL/A) but the seller specifically says that this is "not eligible for the FCP crossgrade" because this is a replacement DVD. Is this true or is he just getting mixed up? So what's the deal with replacement dvds?

Multimedia
Mar 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
I found a FCP 4.0.1 Academic (M9153LL/A) but the seller specifically says that this is "not eligible for the FCP crossgrade" because this is a replacement DVD. Is this true or is he just getting mixed up? So what's the deal with replacement dvds?I guess he misplaced/lost his original install DVD and was able to get Apple to send him a replacement based on his giving them his serial number that was registered in his name. In any event it looks quite different than what they expect to see in your order. But he may be not telling you the truth.

Ask him if he's selling you his serial number - the actual stickers on the Installing Your Software pamphlet - you need the pamphlet to fax Apple - so you can AT LEAST turn it into 4.5 with online upgrades etc. Then call the upgrade center toll free to ask them how they want to handle that copy for you. Assume they will sell you the upgrade by trying to work it out with them - hey it's another $199 in their coffers right? Don't give up quite yet on that possibility. Ask Apple to make this a special case they will help you do.

If he doesn't have the stickers with the serial numbers on the "Installing Your Software" pamphlet I would forget him and move on. It's likely to be an illegitimate sale.

geek boy
Mar 1, 2007, 07:44 PM
hey multimedia guess what i found collecting dust in the neighbourhood computer store? a motion 2 upgrade pack! yesssss! thanks again

redeye be
Mar 1, 2007, 08:19 PM
We 8 Core faithful...

Just what I needed before going to bed after watching a bad movie (The Wicker Man).
Bees!

DMann
Mar 1, 2007, 09:11 PM
Good points, but DVCProHD support came as of FCP 4.5 (a.k.a. FCP HD).

Let me add that FCP 5.1.x runs faster on PPC hardware compared to FCP 5.0.x. So who wouldn't want a speed boost on their existing hardware?

This alone is enough incentive to upgrade...

Multimedia
Mar 1, 2007, 11:22 PM
hey multimedia guess what i found collecting dust in the neighbourhood computer store? a motion 2 upgrade pack! yesssss! thanks againSee? I told ya! How much was it? You clever boy. Way to go. Congrats. You are IN. :eek" ;) :)thanks multimedia, now to track down some old software. if i can pull this off you are a god. cheersDemi-God to you Boy. :p

Now we have a date for the FCS 6 Debut - Sunday April 15 2007 Las Vegas Nevada NAB Press Day. Whoopie!multimedia, my motion2 upgrade cost me all of 99$ canadian, thats only 85 real dollars:)You Dog! What a steal. Was that the last PPC FCS part they had left? Was it on a shelf or behind the counter? Did you tell them you were stealing it after you paid for it? :p

geek boy
Mar 1, 2007, 11:57 PM
multimedia, my motion2 upgrade cost me all of 99$ canadian, thats only 85 real dollars:)

superspiffy
Mar 2, 2007, 01:25 AM
multimedia, my motion2 upgrade cost me all of 99$ canadian, thats only 85 real dollars:)

Which store was it? Was it a big computer store like Best Buys or some no named little shop at the corner? I badly wanna get my hands on one of those coveted PPC apps... only if we have small stores in Irvine, CA. but everything's corporatized here.

Multimedia
Mar 2, 2007, 02:04 AM
Which store was it? Was it a big computer store like Best Buys or some no named little shop at the corner? I badly wanna get my hands on one of those coveted PPC apps... only if we have small stores in Irvine, CA. but everything's corporatized here.Use Apple's Store Finder to locate all within 300 miles and hit the phone. Don't forget the academic stores - separate search.

geek boy
Mar 2, 2007, 08:34 AM
sorry, it was a little mom and pop, only one there sitting in a corner. they seemed surprised i wanted it. good luck with your search.

superspiffy
Mar 5, 2007, 05:33 PM
Ok so I've just joined the bandwagon. I bought FCP 4 for 200 bucks from an Apple specialist and mailed it in today! 400 bucks for FCS 5.1 Retail babeeeey!!!!!!!!:D

failsafe1
Mar 5, 2007, 06:39 PM
Ok so I've just joined the bandwagon. I bought FCP 4 for 200 bucks from an Apple specialist and mailed it in today! 400 bucks for FCS 5.1 Retail babeeeey!!!!!!!!:D

Cool. I did the same thing. I used a $200 gift certificate, bought the edu version at my university where I work for $99 cash and mailed it in for the non edu version. So $300 for the FCS 5.1. Now if I can just get enough work to pay for it soon!!

superspiffy
Mar 5, 2007, 06:57 PM
Cool. I did the same thing. I used a $200 gift certificate, bought the edu version at my university where I work for $99 cash and mailed it in for the non edu version. So $300 for the FCS 5.1. Now if I can just get enough work to pay for it soon!!

Which university was it?! And I thought I escoured every known university here in SoCal

failsafe1
Mar 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
Which university was it?! And I thought I escoured every known university here in SoCal

Sorry dude, wrong coast. I work at East Carolina University.

sorcha
Mar 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
Hi

I'm new to this forum, but think its an amazing resource to have so many mac savii people interacting.:D

that aside, I need advice. I'm looking to purchase final cut studio pro 5.1 as I want to begin editing professionally.

I'm finishing up a course in film and therefore, have the opportunity to buy the package at a discounted price. However, i have heard that discounted apple software cannot be used to cut commercially.

My question then is simply, how much does it cost to upgrade to the version of fc studio pro that is commercially usable? does anyone know this?

If you plan to cut commercially can you still save money by upgrading the discounted software or is it more financially viable to just purchase the full whack outright?

I really want to get this software asap as I'm shooting a film at present and would be really greatful if anyone could clear this up for me.

Thanks a milion

sorcha
;)

brianbobcat
Mar 7, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hi

I'm new to this forum, but think its an amazing resource to have so many mac savii people interacting.:D

that aside, I need advice. I'm looking to purchase final cut studio pro 5.1 as I want to begin editing professionally.

I'm finishing up a course in film and therefore, have the opportunity to buy the package at a discounted price. However, i have heard that discounted apple software cannot be used to cut commercially.

My question then is simply, how much does it cost to upgrade to the version of fc studio pro that is commercially usable? does anyone know this?

If you plan to cut commercially can you still save money by upgrading the discounted software or is it more financially viable to just purchase the full whack outright?

I really want to get this software asap as I'm shooting a film at present and would be really greatful if anyone could clear this up for me.

Thanks a milion

sorcha
;)

By discounted, do you mean educational? If it's the educational package, I wouldn't get it but rather just go for the regularly priced package. Now if it's NOT the educational, but the retail package that you get for taking a class, go for it. BUT check educational or not. If it is, wait and just buy 6 in a month when it's announced, but who knows when it'll ship.

Good luck,
-Brian

Multimedia
Mar 7, 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi

Thanks a milion

sorcha
;)You know you can get 5.1UB for $199 from an old FCP 4/4.5 or any PPC FCS part - Motion 2, Soundtrack Pro or DVD Studio Pro 4 full or upgrade install DVD? (this is a link to the offer page) (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/) There's a lot posted on other FCS6 threads about how to do this Sorcha.

DEADLINE is March 19.

According to reports from those who have followed my advice, you can still track one of these down for as little as $85 or even less. But you have to be resourceful. I don't want to write all the how to again.

Just browse through my posts list. When you click on my name above my photo you see a link called "Find More Posts by Multimedia". All the how to get FCS 5.1UB Commercial for $199 from 4/4.5 academic or whatever are in there.

failsafe1
Mar 7, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hi

Thanks a milion

sorcha
;)

I am a photographer working in a news office at a university in North Carolina so I purchased the edu Final Cut bundle for $99 with a $200 gift certificate. I don't need FCP at my day job but I did this to turn around and upgrade to the new FCS bundle for $199. So now I have the non-edu bundle at a great price. So you could upgrade with the promotion. From what I understand you can't generally upgrade edu software to the non-edu version. The promotion may be over I am not sure. Now for the tricky part. The IT/software/Mac supprt guy at the university where I work told me and take this with a grain of salt that Apple does not put a provision in the license of edu priced software that prohibits commercial use. Adobe for example clearly says do not use this for commercial purposes on their web site. The support guy says he as read the agreement line for line and there is no clause prohibiting any use. He says Apple simply provides software at a reduced price for educational situations, not reduced use. I have not read the agreement and did not want to rely on that idea. I also wanted the ability to upgrade to any future version of the FCS that may come up once the Apple promotion ends. Whew hope this is not too much info.

superspiffy
Mar 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
For those of you who upgraded to 5.1 via mail, how long did it take to get your upgrade from the time you mailed the form?

Multimedia
Mar 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
For those of you who upgraded to 5.1 via mail, how long did it take to get your upgrade from the time you mailed the form?A couple of weeks. You can phone them at the toll free number that's on the form and they will tell you when they shipped it back to you. Plus they email you a UPS tracking number so you can tell exactly what day it will be delivered.

Multimedia
Mar 11, 2007, 10:47 PM
If you're going to NAB here's the link to the info and how to buy tickets for the FCPUG Network's SuperMeet Wednesday April 18 (http://www.lafcpug.org/nab_2007.html).

LethalWolfe
Mar 12, 2007, 12:07 AM
For those of you who upgraded to 5.1 via mail, how long did it take to get your upgrade from the time you mailed the form?

Most orders about 2 weeks (like Multimedia said), but mine was closer to 4-5 weeks as they were temporarily on back order.

Lethal

OldCorpse
Mar 12, 2007, 12:26 AM
The thing I'd really like to know is if FCS 6.0 will work with my iBook. Yes, I know stuff like Motion and certain other core animation apps won't work. I have FCP 4.5 HD and it works great on my iBook (of course, with external hard drives, LCD and speakers). I've been using it for several months and I'm very happy with it. FCS 5.1 does not have enough over 4.5 for me to upgrade, but it looks like 6.0 will be another leap forward and worth the upgrade.

Basically I saved enough $ to buy the app - assuming 6.0 will not cost more than 5.1. Now my worry is that 6.0 will simply not work at all with my iBook. And I'm not ready to buy new hardware. I'm planning on buying a new iMac sometime next year - on revision B of Penryn (again, Santa Rosa is not enough of a leap over Merom IMHO), so whenever that will be (worst case scenario fall of 08).

So anyone want to venture a guess as to whether FCS 6.0 will run at all on a 1.33 G4 iBook (last revision) 1.5GB RAM? Again, I realize that some core anim apps like Motion won't work, but will Final Cut itself work? If not, I'll have to wait until next year to buy it together with a new iMac :(

Multimedia
Mar 12, 2007, 12:33 AM
The thing I'd really like to know is if FCS 6.0 will work with my iBook. Yes, I know stuff like Motion and certain other core animation apps won't work. I have FCP 4.5 HD and it works great on my iBook (of course, with external hard drives, LCD and speakers). I've been using it for several months and I'm very happy with it. FCS 5.1 does not have enough over 4.5 for me to upgrade, but it looks like 6.0 will be another leap forward and worth the upgrade.

Basically I saved enough $ to buy the app - assuming 6.0 will not cost more than 5.1. Now my worry is that 6.0 will simply not work at all with my iBook. And I'm not ready to buy new hardware. I'm planning on buying a new iMac sometime next year - on revision B of Penryn (again, Santa Rosa is not enough of a leap over Merom IMHO), so whenever that will be (worst case scenario fall of 08).

So anyone want to venture a guess as to whether FCS 6.0 will run at all on a 1.33 G4 iBook (last revision) 1.5GB RAM? Again, I realize that some core anim apps like Motion won't work, but will Final Cut itself work? If not, I'll have to wait until next year to buy it together with a new iMac :(Why haven't you exercised your $199 option for 5.1UB that will work on your iBook??

You have ONE WEEK To get it postmarked by March 19http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/icons/posting.php_files/rotfl.gif

Were you unaware of this amazing upgrade from FCP 4.5 to FCS 5.1UB ? That means it works on PPC not just Intel Macs.

What have you been waiting for!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Go here and download the form and print it and send it in immediately sir. (http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/)

None of us know anything about FCP 6 minimums. But we do know the cost of the upgrade from 5.1UB to 6 will be less if you get the $199 5.1UB upgrade first.

zipper1022
Mar 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
fcp6 is what i dream of

supppenkasper
Mar 15, 2007, 03:21 PM
I actually registered just to make this posting:

Dear Apple,

pllllleeeeeaaaaasssseee make different marker colors available in FCP, just like in Avid products. I'd like to make a green marker for a good moment, a yellow for fairly good and so on... I hate to have only one color for all my markers. This must be like 5 min of programming.... pleeeeeeaaaaseeeeee

And I hate to look at an oldfashioned analog desktop-based peakmeter. Please let me reference peak level at -9db manually, just like I can do on Avid. Why you froze the meter at -6db anyway? Doesn't make any sense at all.... Again, this must be like 5 min of programming work... For god's sake make it a hidden option to keep newbies from going crazy. But do it. pleeeeeaaassseee

And give me a customizable timecode window (just like on avid). Must be like 5min of programming... pleeeeaaaasseeeee

And give me a frame calculator tool (5min of programming).

Come on Apple - make some programming dude just once stay in the office during lunchtime and you'd make pro editors happy all over the world!!!

Multimedia
Mar 15, 2007, 03:38 PM
I actually registered just to make this posting:

Dear Apple,

pllllleeeeeaaaaasssseee make different marker colors available in FCP, just like in Avid products. I'd like to make a green marker for a good moment, a yellow for fairly good and so on... I hate to have only one color for all my markers. This must be like 5 min of programming.... pleeeeeeaaaaseeeeee

And I hate to look at an oldfashioned analog desktop-based peakmeter. Please let me reference peak level at -9db manually, just like I can do on Avid. Why you froze the meter at -6db anyway? Doesn't make any sense at all.... Again, this must be like 5 min of programming work... For god's sake make it a hidden option to keep newbies from going crazy. But do it. pleeeeeaaassseee

And give me a customizable timecode window (just like on avid). Must be like 5min of programming... pleeeeaaaasseeeee

And give me a frame calculator tool (5min of programming).

Come on Apple - make some programming dude just once stay in the office during lunchtime and you'd make pro editors happy all over the world!!!Welcome to MacRumors. This is not Apple. Apple has a mechanism for suggestions for improvement to each of their software products. The Apple Final Cut Pro development team does not likely read MacRumors as they are to busy doing work. So here's the link to where you can post your suggestions to the FCP development team (http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html). All you had to do was go to the Final Cut Pro page on Apple.com and click on the "Share your Final Cut Pro feedback with us" link at the bottom of the right hand column to do this any time - every day if you like to make your point with them. It may be too late to get into FCP 6. But for the love of God hammer them for it to be in Final Cut Pro 7 in 2009 please! :rolleyes:

geek boy
Mar 16, 2007, 01:27 AM
hey multimedia guess what came in the mail today? a large stack of final cut upgrade disks yeessss! well you were right and it appears to have been worth spending 99$ canadian for a motion upgrade we never used in order to upgrade, if you follow me. anyone else can do this if you follow multimedias instructions it works, for 4 more days. got the disks in under 2 weeks and all is well, now just need a new mac to make the suite hum. we shall see what upgrades this spring brings. anyway thanks very much for the heads up you are the macmaster. :D :D

Multimedia
Mar 16, 2007, 01:34 AM
hey multimedia guess what came in the mail today? a large stack of final cut upgrade disks yeessss! well you were right and it appears to have been worth spending 99$ canadian for a motion upgrade we never used in order to upgrade, if you follow me. anyone else can do this if you follow multimedias instructions it works, for 4 more days. got the disks in under 2 weeks and all is well, now just need a new mac to make the suite hum. we shall see what upgrades this spring brings. anyway thanks very much for the heads up you are the macmaster. :D :DGlad you were able to make it happen. Next week a lot of Final Cut Pro 4/4.5, Soundtrack Pro, Motion and DVDSP owners are going to realize they missed the boat. Glad you figured it out. You're a loophole king! :p

macfriend1
Mar 16, 2007, 02:36 AM
Is there gonna be a new finalcut express?

Multimedia
Mar 16, 2007, 02:40 AM
Is there gonna be a new finalcut express?Yes. Final Cut Express HD 4 will follow the Final Cut Pro 6 announcement by a short time if it isn't announced simultaneously.

macfriend1
Mar 16, 2007, 03:09 AM
Yes. Final Cut Express HD 4 will follow the Final Cut Pro 6 announcement by a short time if it isn't announced simultaneously.
I see. In june? Can I run it on macbooks ghz2.0,80gb?

Multimedia
Mar 16, 2007, 03:12 AM
I see. In june? Can I run it on macbooks ghz2.0,80gb?Easily. You can run the whole Final Cut Studio on a MacBook. Although Apple says not, we have received many reports from FCS owners that you can. Only ADVANCED Motion 2 work bogs down. Basic Motion no problem.

On the next MacBook with the new way better Santa Rosa graphics, even advanced Motion 2 work should run flawlessly.

superspiffy
Mar 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
I asked the same question around here and somebody said that yes you could, but you won't be able to run the "core animations" or other gpu intensive effects. Is that true? (one of the reasons why I instead decided to get a MBP soon)

Easily. You can run the whole Final Cut Studio on a MacBook. Although Apple says not, we have received many reports from FCS owners that you can.

Multimedia
Mar 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
I asked the same question around here and somebody said that yes you could, but you won't be able to run the "core animations" or other gpu intensive effects. Is that true? (one of the reasons why I instead decided to get a MBP soon)OK Your operative word is "SOON". Word. If you wait for the next MacBook with the much more sophisticated and advanced integrated graphics, it may very well run Leopard's core annimation. We don't know for sure yet. But we know the next MacBooks graphics will be substantially better than what it is now. So if you can hold your wad for a little longer than "SOON" and make that "AS SOON AS THE NEXT MACBOOK SHIPS WITH LEOPARD" then you may very well be able to run all that stuff on a MacBook. But the current FCS 5.1UB is not core animation dependent at all. So it doesn't matter does it - not a question. As I said in my previous post, only the MOST ADVANCED Motion animation would not be possible. Are you MOST ADVANCED? Not likely as about 99% of us are NOT. :eek:

This Spring is all about waiting for the whole shebang to hit and letting the dust clear before leaping into your next Mac. All current models will be different - a LOT different by Summer - June 20. To me that is REAL SOON. How is that date for you superspiffy? Can you keep your pants on that much longer? :eek: ;)

superspiffy
Mar 16, 2007, 07:06 PM
This Spring is all about waiting for the whole shebang to hit and letting the dust clear before leaping into your next Mac. All current models will be different - a LOT different by Summer - June 20. To me that is REAL SOON. How is that date for you superspiffy? Can you keep your pants on that much longer? :eek: ;)

lol well put. I've been lurking "should-i-buy-a-mac-now?-threads" for awhile and the consensus seems to be, if you need it, then buy it. Well I do need it because I have some movie projects I want to get completed and working at home is much better than having to go to the computer labs at 2am and hoping that the two macpros there are free. At the same time, I think I don't really need it right now because it ain't like editing movies is my bread and butter. It's really just a passionate hobby of mine, although I plan on eventually going there for my career.

Like everybody else in this forum, I can't wait till the new updates arrive. I check this forum everyday and pour so much time on it that I really think I'm sick. The sad part is I don't even need Santa Rosa, Leopard, or a refreshed line for the work I'm gonna be doing, but I can't help wanting it anyway. I figure when I buy a Mac, I'll be keeping it for a good while so I'd want to hop on the bandwagon at the beginning of the new product cycle, which is the most ideal time.

Anyway I don't know if I can wait till June (every man has his breaking point) but I know I should.

Jarcrew
Mar 18, 2007, 03:56 AM
Anyway I don't know if I can wait till June (every man has his breaking point) but I know I should.Dude, I've been waiting since WWDC06. I'm sure another few months won't kill anyone.

macfriend1
Mar 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'm gonna buy:
new macbook with leopard
new ipod (are there gonna be new ones?)
new final cut express

wuhuu! :cool:

superspiffy
Mar 21, 2007, 12:04 AM
I just got that big brown padded envelope today so I've officially jumped the FCP bandwagon! Thanks Multimedia! :D

Butthead
Mar 21, 2007, 01:18 PM
OK Your operative word is "SOON". Word. If you wait for the next MacBook with the much more sophisticated and advanced integrated graphics, it may very well run Leopard's core annimation. We don't know for sure yet. But we know the next MacBooks graphics will be substantially better than what it is now. So if you can hold your wad for a little longer than "SOON" and make that "AS SOON AS THE NEXT MACBOOK SHIPS WITH LEOPARD" then you may very well be able to run all that stuff on a MacBook. But the current FCS 5.1UB is not core animation dependent at all. So it doesn't matter does it - not a question. As I said in my previous post, only the MOST ADVANCED Motion animation would not be possible. Are you MOST ADVANCED? Not likely as about 99% of us are NOT. :eek:

What we "think" we know is that both MB & MBP will be using the same Santa Rosa chipsets, except that the MBP will have a dedicated GPU, the MB almost certainly Intel's integrated upgraded GPU. What we don't know is just how 'significant' that improvement in performance will translate into as far as what can run with Leopard, and compenents of the Final Cut Suite...right now only Apple knows, everyone else is speculating. Until the product ships and people can run them on next rev. MBP's & MB's (which we again are specualting as to actual release dates, for all we know the next MB might not be released until late summer), you won't know for sure what runs 'just barely' and what runs everything very smoothly, with multiple apps open at the same time, how many processes can be running in the FCS at the same time, etc.

The upgraded GPU in the next rev. of the MBP, might just be a minor improvement over the current x1600, and then everyone will have all those 'argggh' threads going again about how Apple should have made an option (bet the family farm there will be only one GPU available on either the MBP or MB, as in the past) for a higher performing GPU in the MBP, so that certain things you can do on the desktop machines would also be able to run at least on a MBP...I can see the groaning already ;)

Butthead
Mar 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
IIRC, FCP4 was announced/shown in beta form at NAB (and FCP prod.mang. Paul Saccone showed the beta version at the LAFCPUG later in the month on April 23rd at a special LAFCPUG meeting (http://www.lafcpug.org/meeting_4_23_03.html)), but the shipping version wasn't out until late May??? Same could happen this year.

http://www.lafcpug.org/nab_2007.html

Announcement of either beta or shipping FC Studio is a given, anything else would just be 'extras'. Leopard will have no bearing on what happens to be annouced at NAB, as all of Apple's and Adobe prods will run on Tiger (now that the CS3 'bug' under Tiger has been addressed). FCP could be shown running on a beta Leopard as a teaser of things upcoming, but an annoucement date for release of Leopard is unlikely (unless it has already been annouced by then ;) ).

Millenwagon182
Mar 22, 2007, 09:38 AM
That's for Final Cut Extreme. the new (rumored) extra high-end version of FCP. If you're an amateur, FCP ($1300 or so) or even Final Cut Express ($300 IIRC) are much more the kind of thing you need.

Can anyone guess what the system requirements will be on FCS 6?

redeye be
Mar 22, 2007, 02:04 PM
Can anyone guess what the system requirements will be on FCS 6?

yes

:rolleyes:

macfriend1
Mar 25, 2007, 03:28 AM
OK Your operative word is "SOON". Word. If you wait for the next MacBook with the much more sophisticated and advanced integrated graphics, it may very well run Leopard's core annimation. We don't know for sure yet. But we know the next MacBooks graphics will be substantially better than what it is now. So if you can hold your wad for a little longer than "SOON" and make that "AS SOON AS THE NEXT MACBOOK SHIPS WITH LEOPARD" then you may very well be able to run all that stuff on a MacBook. But the current FCS 5.1UB is not core animation dependent at all. So it doesn't matter does it - not a question. As I said in my previous post, only the MOST ADVANCED Motion animation would not be possible. Are you MOST ADVANCED? Not likely as about 99% of us are NOT. :eek:

now the question remains, when does a new macbook arrive? it's time, isn't it?

Multimedia
Mar 25, 2007, 03:58 AM
Can anyone guess what the system requirements will be on FCS 6?I believe a lot of what we do here is guess isn't it?now the question remains, when does a new macbook arrive? it's time, isn't it?June 11 SteveNote. Santa Rosa won't be shipping in large enough quantity until then.

Macman8
Mar 26, 2007, 03:15 PM
Does this mean that Final Cut Express will be updated as well, and at the same time?

PortableFishy
Apr 8, 2007, 09:43 AM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and sold my old G4 Dual 1.0 ghz and picked up a Mac Pro 8-Core last week. I was totally excited about getting my new machine until I realized that the Logic 7.2 Crossgrade is no longer available in Japan. I went to the Shibuya Apple store yesterday and inquired about it, however the Apple Rep there only said that it is no longer available, and that the only way that I could use Logic on my new Mac is to buy the full retail Logic 7.2 version for 100,000yen (uhh, no way)

I find this to be quite an unsettling situation to be in. Is 7.3 coming out soon, or whatever the next version of Logic is? I don't really need any new features, I just want to get my studio up and running again.

I really don't think Apple should have discontinued the 7.2 Crossgrade until they have something else to offer their current Logic 7 userbase first...

Any advice would be deeply appreciated

Cheers,
PortableFishy

mjstew33
Apr 8, 2007, 10:07 AM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and sold my old G4 Dual 1.0 ghz and picked up a Mac Pro 8-Core last week. I was totally excited about getting my new machine until I realized that the Logic 7.2 Crossgrade is no longer available in Japan. I went to the Shibuya Apple store yesterday and inquired about it, however the Apple Rep there only said that it is no longer available, and that the only way that I could use Logic on my new Mac is to buy the full retail Logic 7.2 version for 100,000yen (uhh, no way)

I find this to be quite an unsettling situation to be in. Is 7.3 coming out soon, or whatever the next version of Logic is? I don't really need any new features, I just want to get my studio up and running again.

I really don't think Apple should have discontinued the 7.2 Crossgrade until they have something else to offer their current Logic 7 userbase first...

Any advice would be deeply appreciated

Cheers,
PortableFishy
Call Apple. They might be able to help you.

failsafe1
Apr 8, 2007, 03:47 PM
Apple stopped the crossgrade to the final cut studio recently also. So that is consistent with how they do things. I would have hated it too if I could not do an upgrade. I jumped on the Intel FCS when they announced it so I would not miss out. At the time I did not have an Intel machine but the deal was too good to wait on.

SMM
Apr 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
You might also try CDW, or some of the other large distributors. They may have a small amount of Logic inventory left. It will not work for any of the UB crossgrades. That was entirely an Apple sourced program.

kgiglio2
Apr 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see iTunes updated to include a plethora of Hi-Definition video, as well as the new non-DRM music. At a broadcasters conference, and with the recent release of a very HD Apple TV; I could see a content announcement being very likely at NAB. What do you guys think?

K-Vos
Apr 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hello everyone, I am extremely new to the forums as you can see from the date I signed up and i'm also new to the world of mac. Heres my dilema, I am going into my first year of college for film production and i'm looking at purchasing a laptop, a macbook pro (since the college im going to uses macs), i thought this would be an excellent mac to start with and also it would be great so i dont have to stay till the wee hours of the morning in a editing suite. I knew that mac book pro's could run final cut studio 5.1 but suddenly final cut studio 2 is released and suddenly reading the specs and requirements it seems like the macbook pro's will not be able to run final cut studio 6 or other programs well. I was just curious about what you guyz think I should do, or if you think that @ this years WWDC they will launch a new line of macbook pros that will be optimized for the new final cut studio 2. I was looking @ purchasing the macbook pro 2.16ghz (aka the low end b/c of cost) hopefully if their is a new macbook pro the low end will be able to support final cut studio 2 and have the cost the same. Any suggestions or tips or thoughts would be appreciated since I really need help in this big purchase decision.

Multimedia
Apr 17, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone, I am extremely new to the forums as you can see from the date I signed up and i'm also new to the world of mac. Heres my dilema, I am going into my first year of college for film production and i'm looking at purchasing a laptop, a macbook pro (since the college im going to uses macs), i thought this would be an excellent mac to start with and also it would be great so i dont have to stay till the wee hours of the morning in a editing suite. I knew that mac book pro's could run final cut studio 5.1 but suddenly final cut studio 2 is released and suddenly reading the specs and requirements it seems like the macbook pro's will not be able to run final cut studio 6 or other programs well. I was just curious about what you guyz think I should do, or if you think that @ this years WWDC they will launch a new line of macbook pros that will be optimized for the new final cut studio 2. I was looking @ purchasing the macbook pro 2.16ghz (aka the low end b/c of cost) hopefully if their is a new macbook pro the low end will be able to support final cut studio 2 and have the cost the same. Any suggestions or tips or thoughts would be appreciated since I really need help in this big purchase decision.Buy the 17" Santa Rosa MBP with 4GB of RAM and it will all run great. I don't know what system requirements you are reading, but there is no doubt it will all run great. Use the educational discount to ge the top of line 17" Santa Rosa after it ships this summer. Don't buy the current models.A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor
1GB of RAM
An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
QuickTime 7.1.6 or later
A DVD drive for installationAll MBPs meet and mostly exceed all those minimums easily. What do you mean they won't run?

K-Vos
Apr 17, 2007, 06:41 PM
Buy the 17" Santa Rosa MBP with 4GB of RAM and it will all run great. I don't know what system requirements you are reading, but there is no doubt it will all run great. Use the educational discount to ge the top of line 17" Santa Rosa after it ships this summer. Don't buy the current models.All MBPs meet and mostly exceed all those minimums easily. What do you mean they won't run?

Ok. first of all again, new to the mac world so "An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)" Cuz the MBP have the ATI Radeon 1600X and i know they have the intel core 2 duo so i guess i interpretted it wrong. Secondly how much am I looking @ spending on the 17" Santa Rosa MBP with 4GB of RAM. Thats gunna be a lot of damn money, lol, which as an employee of Zellers (Canadian Version of K-Mart) entering into first year of college.

Multimedia
Apr 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
Ok. first of all again, new to the mac world so "An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)" Cuz the MBP have the ATI Radeon 1600X and i know they have the intel core 2 duo so i guess i interpretted it wrong. Secondly how much am I looking @ spending on the 17" Santa Rosa MBP with 4GB of RAM. Thats gunna be a lot of damn money, lol, which as an employee of Zellers (Canadian Version of K-Mart) entering into first year of college.I was thinking that if you amertize the new Mac Book Pro over 4 years of school it only comes out to less than $1k a year or less than $100 a month. Mac prices don't change much. So the 17" academic price is about $2600 vs $1800 for the cheapest 15" model. You could go with the 15" but add a Dell 24" for $550 from their outlet store for your base location so you have some serious screen real estate to work with there. So $2350 plus tax 15" or $3150 plus tax 17" - both with a Dell 24" external.

But wait for Santa Rosa so what you buy will be the best you could get right before classes begin. This Fall they'll go refurb.

eightd
Apr 18, 2007, 09:07 AM
rumors pretty dang accurate.

april 14 rumor correct. indeed fcp6 as named.

yeah 5.1. too bad its not in fcp6 but part of stp2 which is fine but the roundtripping is a bitch! maybe right on core animation, mixed timelines is the shizzle. what sort of low level system resource this app take to run mp?

also accurate. fce is actually fcserver, apple definitly going after avids market for sure. ******* unity. fce adds shake integration, optical flow and smoothcam, yeah its smooth, kick ass awesome-ness. the hardware solution is io-hd with aja for $3.4K instead of $10K. so all rumors were accurate, just naming and product matrix is wrong, otherwise 100% on target.

Rod Rod
Apr 18, 2007, 10:09 AM
also accurate. fce is actually fcserver, apple definitly going after avids market for sure. ******* unity. fce adds shake integration, optical flow and smoothcam, yeah its smooth, kick ass awesome-ness. the hardware solution is io-hd with aja for $3.4K instead of $10K. so all rumors were accurate, just naming and product matrix is wrong, otherwise 100% on target.
That "fce is actually fcserver" interpretation is just factually incorrect. The rumored Final Cut Extreme was a hardware and software solution. Final Cut Server is software. Sure, it runs on hardware but the FC Extreme rumor was about a turnkey hardware + software solution similar to what Avid sells.

You're right that FC Server is up against Unity. However, "fce" doesn't add shake integration, optical flow and smoothcam. That stuff is in Final Cut Pro 6. You said Final Cut Extreme was the same thing as Final Cut Server.