PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to hand in my Tibook?

CaptainCaveMann
Feb 23, 2007, 01:30 AM
Can anyone here convince me to hand in my tibook for a new macbook or MBP? My tibook has a crack in it BTW, other than that its speedy, everything works. Just want a new machine because i have a feeling the HD is gonna die soon. Id like to know if someone can comment on their transition from tibook to intel apple laptops? Any regrets? Hold out for something better? :p :D

jer2eydevil88
Feb 23, 2007, 01:40 AM
You might want to upgrade because of the magsafe power adapter, the super drive for burning movies. The 802.11n wireless it has or simply the seperate sata hard drive that doesn't lock up when you use the optical drive at the same time (as is what happened when I had my powerbook)

You also may like the ability to really manage all your digital media without so much as a hiccup.

In the end if you like your Mac as is. Don't upgrade. Only you can tell us what makes you want to buy a new computer. We aren't here to read your mind.

bubbamac
Feb 23, 2007, 02:59 AM
If the HD is going to die soon, you should be making regular backups to an external HD. You are backing up, right?

You can replace the HD yourself for between $100 and $200. I've done it, it's not difficult - just detailed. Lots of tiny screws, and tiny parts that must be in the right order.

That said, my TiBook 667 will be replaced soon. If something else goes out (I've replaced the CD/DVD drive as well), it's not worth it to me to sink another couple hundred bucks into this fine machine. I'll hopefully replace it before something fails, so I get to choose, instead of being forced into a purchase. Assuming that happens, I'll be using this one to run an external HD as a server to back up to. Hopefully.

mfacey
Feb 23, 2007, 04:08 AM
Just for the speed boost I'd already do it. I had a maxed out 667Mhz TiBook which was nice and speedy when it ran os 10.1 and 10.2. But as soon as 10.4 came out, it really wasn't working too well anymore. The TiBook is still a fantastic looking laptop but the technology inside is quite obsolete these days.

jimytheassassin
Feb 23, 2007, 09:22 AM
wow, lots of tibook 667s here.. Well I was using a 667 also, and switched nearly 3 weeks ago. It's far faster even with my PPC software like, photoshop, illustrator etc, the screen is way brighter, and much nicer. I hadn't realized how yellow and uneven the lcd on my 667 had become. It's very quiet under normal use, and I can barely hear the fan under heavy load. I even have fan control manager to raise the stock speed to increase airflow. It's worth the jump. Besides even if leopard does come out tomorrow,(I'm pretty sure it won't for a while yet) it's not like you have to shell out for it immediately. Stop limping along.. take the plunge

Legolamb
Feb 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
My Ti display went wonky in October '06. I replaced it for 250$. It worked fine but I was getting a bit leery of the display's reliability. I backed everything up on an external, went out and bought the MBP. Apart from not being able to boot in System9 (which I really nevcer needed), there has been no problems for me. I waited for the intel to get the cranks out, got my first 17", and am still deliriously happy.

Omegamanstyle
Feb 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
The moment the C2D MBPs were announced I ordered a 2.33 GHz model. I was upgrading from an 867 Mhz TiBook that I'd taken very good care of and even upgraded various components over the years. But hey, that's me, you do what you think is right but let me say this:

I could sit here all day and talk to you about the speed jump that rocks my world everyday, or the unexpected delight of the extra real estate in the 1440x900 display. I could go into the hiccups moving to Intel (oh wait... there weren't any hiccups), and as jer2eydevil88 mentioned, the sweetness of the MagSafe power connection that makes me wonder how we ever lived without it, 802.11n, trackpad scolling, built-in iSight camera (and thus video iChat and Photo Booth), but I'm not going to do that. (Okay, i just did).

What it comes down to is really just one simple feature that, like MagSafe, we should never have to live without again and should be mandatory on all future computers. And that is of course, the futuristic backlit keyboard with ambient light sensor. I think it's fair to say it's given my life new meaning. If you think I'm alone, check out iSpazz (http://coolosxapps.com/?p=424).

princealfie
Feb 23, 2007, 11:09 AM
I have a "trashed" TiBook that still works decently. But it needs a lot more RAM.