PDA

View Full Version : What's the best gig you've ever been to?

mrjamin
May 31, 2003, 12:31 PM
...mine would have to be REM on the Up tour in Earls Court (London) - 1999. Going to see them again in 3 weeks :D

second to that would be the Deftones in 2001 @ London, Docklands arena, who i'm seeing again in 2 days!

Music is my life, i go to a gig a week usually (not huge ones, admitedly, but they're sometimes the best gigs).

edesignuk
May 31, 2003, 12:33 PM
Hmmmm....either Pink Floyd @ Earls Court, or The Rolling Stones @ Wembly :D

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 12:35 PM
The closet for me would be that my wife attended several Elton John concerts as a teenager!

g30ffr3y
May 31, 2003, 12:47 PM
NIN downward spiral tour with marilyn manson and the jim rose circus... i saw it in buffalo, not england... but hey... i saw it...

Moxiemike
May 31, 2003, 12:50 PM
I might be tempted to say stereolab in pittsburgh in 2000..

Morrissey in Akron in 2000 on Valentines day was awesome to

And i've seen the cure too many times to list and they ALWAYS sound amazing.

Robert Smith's voice is top.

I also saw Red House Painters at a small club in Philly. It was very chilling. He's a very intense performer....

trebblekicked
May 31, 2003, 01:36 PM
it's a tie between Sleater-Kinney/Belle & Sebastian at the DAR Hall in DC last year, and Cibo Matto/Pavement in Pittsburgh '97.

although REM on the monster tour was pretty good, too.

mrjamin
May 31, 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I might be tempted to say stereolab in pittsburgh in 2000..

I saw them a couple of years ago - wasn't to impressed myself, but then i'd never heard of them when i saw them and they were only a support act

And i've seen the cure too many times to list and they ALWAYS sound amazing.

Would LOVE to have seen the cure!

zarathustra
May 31, 2003, 02:18 PM
Although I have been to many large venues (Pearl Jam, Faith No More, U2, etc.) I prefer the small concerts, 150 people tops.

Of those the best one I have been to lately was Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks (S.M. of Pavement).

ExoticFish
May 31, 2003, 02:35 PM
This is a very difficult question! I think I'm most tempted to say the Foo Fighters concert I went to last week was the best gig I've ever been too.

mrjamin
May 31, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by zarathustra
Although I have been to many large venues (Pearl Jam, Faith No More, U2, etc.) I prefer the small concerts, 150 people tops.

Of those the best one I have been to lately was Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks (S.M. of Pavement).

I used to love Pavement. They were great.

I saw POD in a 400 capacity venue before they made it big in the uk - that was amazing. also met brandon boyd (incubus) as well as whatshisname from My Vitroil at the gig.

iGav
May 31, 2003, 02:38 PM
Gig: PWEI, Leeds T&C September 1994,

Review: they totally blew every other band I have ever seen clean out of the water.. No exceptions! Limp Bizkit wouldn't have stood a chance!! heh-heh!!

Dance O' Meter: Pogo'd for 2 hours, crowd surf'd, slam danced... Sample It, Loop It, ****** It, And Eat It baby!!

Gig: Underworld, Glastonbury 1999,

Review: filled the field, big, big party.... last tour with Emerson... And stunning Tomato visuals that worked, even on an open stage... karl Hyde rocks more than any other.... and he's running totally clean too... They were very good at Brixton last year, unfortunately Brixton Academy sucks...

Dance O' Meter: Your are kidding aren't you.... they felt the floor rumble in Tokyo... heh-heh!!

Gig: R.E.M., Glastonbury 1999,

Review: they were cooking that nite, much better than when I saw them at Earls Court a few days previous, but that probably has more to do with Earls Court being the worst gig venue in London.... souless, too big, crap acoustics etc etc...

Dance O' Meter: was all going well, till they decided to do 'Everybody Hurts', that's when the lighters come out and if you dance, you'll be set on fire for being disrespectful...

Gig: Portishead, Ashton Court Festival,

Review: 1997, not billed, we turned up on the day with fingers crossed.... Beth Gibbons is such and underated front woman! Warm, clear summer night, shuffling to 'Undenied' does it really get anymore blissed out than that??

Dance O' Meter: We nodded our heads alot, shuffled our feet, and stared at the stars as they came out to play...

Gig: Sneaker Pimps, Greenbelt festival, 1997

Review: the choons man.... :) the choons....

Dance O' Meter: See Portishead

Gig: Juliana Hatfield Three, Leeds T&C, November 1993, supporting the fab Teenage Fanclub, and the Posies....

Review: we knew it'd be good when we saw that she had an amp wth a 'F-in Loud' setting....

Dance O' Meter: Pogo'd...

Gig: Nirvana, Reading Festival 1992,

Review: like everyone else I loved Nirvana... but they sucked live... big time! But still defining for being Nirvana's last UK gig!

Dance O' Meter: Slam danced, moshed, pogo'd.... they still sucked though...

Gig: Afro-Celt Soundsystem, Glastonbury 1999, Sunday night...

Review: those who were there, KNOW exactly what I mean.... ;) The party afterwards up in the Greenfield was even more hardcore...

Dance O' Meter: Shake that hippy ***** to those world music vibes... shake it boy... shake it!!

Gig: Carina Round, Summer 2001, The Spitz, London....

Review: I'd read about her in a underground London rock journal, I quite fancied her, so went to the gig, she was billed as a new 'PJ Harvey', that's something to live up to, she's actually better though!! ;) :D

Dance O' Meter: Too small, too packed...

Gig: Garbage, Wolverhampton, 1996,

Review: not as raw as I'd hoped, sounded exactly like the record... which in hindsight, is actually quite a good thing...

Dance O' Meter: spent most of it with my arms round my then girlfriend, trying to stop her being kicked in the head...

Gig: Oasis, Leeds, 1993....

Review: before they had a hit single, and before Liam started doing that evil 'manc' accent evertime he sang 'Cigarettes and Alcohol'. We were there right at the beginning.... they were so cool, seemd so vital... what went wrong?? :confused:

Dance O' Meter: Very beer'd up for that one... lot's and lot's of Newcastle Brown Ale, went crazy!

Gig: LTJ Bukem, Coventry 1998,

Review: played at our final student night bash to celebrate finishing Uni...

Dance O' Meter: Destroyed my Airwalks... get my drift... ;)

Vanilla
May 31, 2003, 02:41 PM
Dexys Midnight Runners Geno tour at Oxford, UK way back in the mists of time

Joy Division, supporting the Buzzcocks, same venue, again way back when (late 70's)

The Tubes, an amazing experience, ditto the above (I was a student in the area at the time so Oxford New Theatre was THE venue to see acts)

Pink Floyd Earls Court second Wall tour
Pink Floyd Earls Court Division Bell tour, as I got to hear Dark Side of the Moon live

Radiohead, Warrington, UK Kid A tour, absolutely blinding gig on a muddy field in a huge tent. Am absolutely gagging for November to hurry up and get here as I have tickets for the Earls Court gig Nov 27th

So now I feel really, really old, sigh......

etoiles
May 31, 2003, 03:14 PM
...one of the most 'intense' gigs I have been to must have been Moby in a small club in Lausanne, Switzerland around '98.

The cover band was actually the same guys, they just switched instruments around (I think Moby played bass in the background). Then when the 'real' act started Moby was SUPER aggressive, smashing a keyboard until the keys came off and walking off stage twice...in the second half of the concert, he became super mellow, asked the tiny crowd for requests and played all sorts of songs by other artists...he even had people from the crowd get on stage and pick an instrument.

One of those priceless moments...

alia
May 31, 2003, 03:36 PM
This probably sounds silly but the best gig I've been to had to be one of the three They Might Be Giants Concerts I've been to. I can't decide which one. Their concerts are always GREAT. They always surprise you with the playlist (their discography includes like 300 songs) and they really do interesting things with the audience.

In fact, they are playing free in Atlanta next Friday, so I'm getting ready to attend my fourth concert of theirs. :)

I love They Might Be Giants! :D

Alia

P.S. Weezer was really good in concert too, though I'm not much for the stadium concerts. There's just too many people.

dynamicd
May 31, 2003, 06:28 PM
I saw Incubus last May in Chicago and they definitely rocked that show.

pivo6
May 31, 2003, 09:58 PM
The best ones were when I was in college. All at Assembly Hall - U of Illinois

Hall & Oates (roommate is a huge fan) from the second row- Big Bad Boom Tour

Police - Synchronicity Tour last stop in 1983.

U2 - Joshua Tree

evoluzione
May 31, 2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by trebblekicked
Cibo Matto/Pavement in Pittsburgh '97.

love Cibo Matto, SciFi Wasabi just makes me so happy.

iGav, loved to have seen Bukem, especially with Conrad.

Saw Oasis and Blur at The Angel in Bedford. A lot of bands played there a month before everyone heard of them. very strange that Bedford should be a top place for that.

I think the best gig I went to was Herbaliser, at The Roxy in Manhattan NYC about three and a half years ago i think, DJ Krust was playing too, (from Roni Size' Reprazent kru) he was tops. Jake (Herbaliser) rocked out. He even played my two favourite songs back to back for me (I were playing pool with him earlier that night, having handed him a cd of some rather dodgy movies, I was his Hotline contact heh).
Close second though would have to be Metallica at the Milton Keynes Bowl, or Sepultura at Brixton.

pEZ
May 31, 2003, 10:16 PM
I'm gonna have to say a tie between Semisonic at the Vic Theater in Chicago and Flickerstick at the Rave in Milwaukee - both are really small venues, so you feel like you are WITH the band, not just there to see them. Both bands also talk to ya too, they are entertaining, not just hella good music.

Duff-Man
May 31, 2003, 10:38 PM
And i've seen the cure too many times to list and they ALWAYS sound amazing. Duff-Man says....agreed - the cure have always have great sound live...first time I saw them was on the "Faith" tour and I always go see them whenever possible. The Dark Trilogy DVD that comes out in a few days is eagerly anticipated....oh yeah!

Flowbee
May 31, 2003, 10:56 PM
It would have to be Queen in 1978(?), the "Jazz" tour. It was the first 'rock concert' I had ever been to. I was 11 years old and my dad took my best friend and I to see them at Kemper Arena in Kansas City. I've forgotton a lot of things over the years, but I still have very vivid memories of that show. I saw them again in 1980 and still have the t-shirt.

big
May 31, 2003, 11:34 PM
Floyd, '94- Legion Fields, Birmingham, Alabama

though Simon & Dylan rocked too,

3rdpath
May 31, 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Vanilla

The Tubes, an amazing experience, ditto the above (I was a student in the area at the time so Oxford New Theatre was THE venue to see acts)

yeah baby.....

saw the tubes on their first tour(white punks on dope!!!!) with quay lude and the most outrageous stage show.....ever.

more old timer shows...

led zep in 75(ish)...great show...physical graffiti tour
deep purple, the who, allman bros., aerosmith, elo, black oak ark, uriah heep( when the bassist was shocked on stage...), zz top, j. geils, foghat( a great friggin show), golden earring, queen, yes, cat stevens...

and ELVIS(twice).

all before the age of 16.

:eek:

edit: forgot about audioslave while making the cochese video...

mrjamin
Jun 1, 2003, 04:44 AM
i saw Bob Dylan live and it was one of the worst gigs i EVER went to! Second to that was Toploader supporting *coughs* Bon Jovi.

groovebuster
Jun 1, 2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by zarathustra

I totally agree... I also prefer the small club gigs.

As a musician though it is a cool feeling to play in front of a few thousand people.

But still, the best gig I ever had as a musician (regarding fun) was with a 70's cover band (70's disco stuff) on a festival! We played for almost 4 hours, and the audience (about 500-700 people) was having such a wild party with us, it was unbelievable... Those were the times. I think it was in 1997, but I am not sure anymore which year, I would have to check...

Oh, and before I forget... the best gig I saw lately was Markus Miller here in Berlin in the Quasimodo last fall.

groovebuster

evoluzione
Jun 1, 2003, 06:47 AM
ooh, forgot about this one, quite possibly my favourite...

Faithless and Paul Oakenfold at Irving Plaza, small venue, awesome

"bouncin' round like bunnies"

WinterMute
Jun 1, 2003, 06:51 AM
In no particular order:

Pink Floyd The Wall (second edition) earls court, rock theatre at it's grandest.

Peter Gabriel So tour NEC 86-87ish

Rush Farewell to Kings Hammy Odeon 80?

Leonard Cohen in some Paris dive in the early 80's, around 200 utterly captivated french women and me:D

Zep at knebworth in the mud, dreadful sound, but I saw them.

Pat Metheny Offramp Hammy Odeon

Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Foo Fghters Brixton Academy.

Bowie lets dance in Milton Keynes

Live Aid Wembley.

Too many others to mention, but they were the best for many reasons.

Wish I'd seen Zappa at his best.

lmalave
Jun 1, 2003, 06:57 AM
For me it would have to be the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, and Pearl Jam at the Boston University hockey rink, before they all went multiplatinum. At the time, the Red Hot Chili Pepper were the headliners, but I was going just for the Smashing Pumpkins (this was Gish-era Pumpkins). I had heard some RHCP but wasn't a huge fan, and I had never heard of Pearl Jam.

Ironically, the Pumpkins sucked live (at least at the time). I mean they had absolutely no stage charisma. The Red Hots and Pearl Jam, on the other hand, just completely blew me away. They are both incredible live.

Jeromino
Jun 1, 2003, 08:19 AM
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Ryan Center, University of Rhode Island this past March 20th.

Sat about 20 feet away from the duo in a brand-new arena that was set up nicely for an acoustic show. Dave and Tim played for three and a half hours, told some very funny stories, and pulled out a fantastic combination of great songs and rarities. Then Reynolds' first solo was a Neil Young Medley.. whew.

All that, and the look on my friend's face when she sat down in our seats and looked up at the proximity of the on-stage stools, was priceless. Well worth the $99.00 and the 4-hour wait in a 1' snowstorm to get the seats.

Did I mention this concert was held across the street from where I park my car daily? Ah, URI.

P-Worm
Jun 1, 2003, 09:26 AM
I once saw a Victor Wooten concert and it was one of the most amazing thinge I have ever seen in my life. I want that group to come again. Some of my friends don't even know who this guy is and therefore have not lived.

P-Worm

kettle
Jun 1, 2003, 09:37 AM
Keep it in the Family Tour

Strapping Young Lad, DevinTownsend Band and Zimmers Hole - Canadian Heavy Metal at its best.

Bristol Bierkeller 16th March 2003

I really thought the building was going to collapse.

eyelikeart
Jun 1, 2003, 10:07 AM
hmm...there's a few that stick out in my mind the most...

Duran Duran in '97

Depeche Mode, Exciter Tour in July 2001

BT w/Hooverphonic in Sept. 2000

Thievery Corporation, just a month ago

Moxiemike
Jun 1, 2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
hmm...there's a few that stick out in my mind the most...

Duran Duran in '97

Depeche Mode, Exciter Tour in July 2001

BT w/Hooverphonic in Sept. 2000

Thievery Corporation, just a month ago

i'm still envious of your thievco experience.

you suck

eyelikeart
Jun 1, 2003, 11:10 AM
i'm still envious of your thievco experience.

you suck

ahh...thanker... ;)

JPGR_Fan
Jun 1, 2003, 12:39 PM
Some of the best were at what was probably the first outdoor amphitheatre called the Mississippi River Festival on the campus of Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. For several years in the early 70's it had people like Elton John, Janis Joplin, The Who, The Band, etc.

Later most enjoyed the Stones (great seats dome), Eagles (lawn seats) and Sir Paul (stadium floor).

Two of the less enjoyable were Bob Dylan (front row, 5000 seat theatre) and last night on the lawn for James Taylor (bad acoustics for half the show).

dstorey
Jun 1, 2003, 01:26 PM
Its hard to say...one of three

Bluetones at the Mayfair newcastle - cause it was my first gig, got right to front, and could hardly hear for a week. I think the mayfair was the venue of the first ever nivarna gig in the uk, set up by one of my fav bars before they were big. Sadly it got knocked down to build a car park and multiplex cinema (as if we dont have enough cinemas...:rolleyes: ) but thats the way of things.

V99 festival stafford. Dunno if this counyts as a gig but was probs the best. It was my first festival, the sun was shining, the weather was a scorcher...the girls were pretty and the bands wer e just amazing...oh and we got tanked up on larger. I think it was coldplays first festival, got to see the happy mondays reform, steophocs were great and weally got the crowd going crazy (this was before they went boring), Cast were one of my fav ands at the time, suedde headlined and put on a great show...and that was just the first night...oh and all the festival jokes of people shouting things all night went old the first time round and we even got free train tickets to the place. Of course being a festival it rained when travis sang 'why does it always rain on me, but it only lasted for the length of that song.

Then lately it had to be John Squire at the students union in newcastle. The stone roses are my fav band and i thought i'd never get to see him play live so i blagged the tickets as soon as i could. It was strange hearing him sing but he played most of the stone roses favs as well as his own and the crowd responded so well and sang most of the songs and squries guitar playing is still amazing.

big
Jun 1, 2003, 08:38 PM
saw Elvis huh?

He used to play Huntsville twice a year (it was before my time) though he worked a farm here in Gurley in the summer

thought that was some neat trivia!

jefhatfield
Jun 1, 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
...mine would have to be REM on the Up tour in Earls Court (London) - 1999. Going to see them again in 3 weeks :D

second to that would be the Deftones in 2001 @ London, Docklands arena, who i'm seeing again in 2 days!

Music is my life, i go to a gig a week usually (not huge ones, admitedly, but they're sometimes the best gigs).

i really enjoyed watching kiss on their 79-80 tour when they came to oakland, CA

Bengt77
Jun 2, 2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by JPGR_Fan
Some of the best were at what was probably the first outdoor amphitheatre called the Mississippi River Festival on the campus of Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.

WTF?! The "first outdoor amphitheatre", you say?! Haven't you heard about the Romans, and before that even the Greek cultures? They had those over 2000 years ago.

Oh, sorry; I just noticed you're American. Americans usually don't know their history and think the USA has a *COUGH* culture *COUGH*. Don't make me laugh! (Or no, wait, please do make me laugh!)

:rolleyes:

Sorry for the b*tching; couldn't resist. No offense, really. Please don't mind my rudeness; next post will be on-topic.

groovebuster
Jun 2, 2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Bengt77
WTF?! The "first outdoor amphitheatre", you say?! Haven't you heard about the Romans, and before that even the Greek cultures? They had those over 2000 years ago.

Oh, sorry; I just noticed you're American. Americans usually don't know their history and think the USA has a *COUGH* culture *COUGH*. Don't make me laugh! (Or no, wait, please do make me laugh!)

:rolleyes:

Sorry for the b*tching; couldn't resist. No offense, really. Please don't mind my rudeness; next post will be on-topic.

Well, all the good things are always invented in the US, you should have learned that by now! ;) Why do yo think M$ always claims to be the inventor of everythig in the computer world? That's the "American Spirit" they are just living... ;)

The light-bulb and the telephone are "all" american, as well as Pizza, the computer and the motor-car, just to name a few... :D

Sorry, my american fellows, but I also couldn't resist. I have some very good friends in the US and of course not all the people are as ignorant as that, but the convos I had with some US citizens in the past will always keep a special place in my memory! ;)

Have a nice day! :)

groovebuster

caveman_uk
Jun 2, 2003, 06:56 AM
For energy probably The Levellers on the Zeitgeist tour at Brixton Academy or for how blown away I was by the ability of the performers it has to be a little known US band called Kings X when they played the Town and Country Club.

SumDumGuy
Jun 2, 2003, 07:50 AM
Best "big" venue would have to be Iron Maiden on the Powerslave tour in 1984 (I think thats the year) or Metallica on the And Justice For All tour in 1988. Both the stage shows and music were utterly amazing.

Best small venue shows would have to be Korn (before they became big) at a tiny club called the Wet Bar in Shreveport, LA or Coal Chamber/Sevendust also in Shreveport at a place called Malibu Alley which has since literally fallen down. I think the lingering vibrations from the Coal Chamber show eventually shook it to the ground.

losfp
Jun 2, 2003, 08:06 AM
Lemmeseenow... Some of the excellent ones I've been to..

Barenaked Ladies @ Hi Fi Bar in Melbourne - IMHO one of the best live acts you can get.

They Might be Giants @ Metro Theatre in Sydney - Probably about 2002ish

Faith No More @ Hordern Pavilion, 1995ish

Alternative Nation (festival) in Sydney, 1995 - This one was amazing just for the line-up. Nine Inch Nails, Primus, Faith No More, Live, Violent Femmes, Ice T, Body Count... First "real" gig I ever went to. Great fun.

Foxer
Jun 2, 2003, 09:43 AM
Two bands I've seen many times and ALWAYS delvier good shows. I've seen They Might Be Giants about a dozen times (but not since 1993), those shows were always classic. Not real familiar with their work since then. Also, The Wedding Present and (later) Cinerama, both fronted by David Gedge, are always rewarding.

Single best show? Pet Shop Boys in Detroit '90, Lollapalloozas I and II in Denver '91/Detroit '92, Pet Shop Boys in Atlanta '99,Pulp in DC '96. All very, very good. Hey, I was impressed by Rick Astley in '89 - he put on a good show, really.

But the BEST would be Elvis Costello with Steve Nieve Milwaukee '99. Just guitar and piano - almost two hours - a great, great evening.

Still need to see Belle and Sebastian and Radiohead. Top priorities.

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 10:00 AM
The closet that I've come to a big concert would be seeing the Beatles and Elvis on the "Ed Sullivan Show."

mkjj
Jun 2, 2003, 01:56 PM
One the best was last night, Paul McCartney's final gig of his world tour in his home town of Liverpool on the banks of the Mersey, incredible!

Nice one Macca!

vollspacken
Jun 2, 2003, 03:28 PM
Everything But The Girl @ the Montreux Jazz festival 2000

I was raining cats and dogs for over one week in the middle of july but the concerts we had tickets to were the bomb (and the BB King workshop too, hehe)!!! I didn' expect anything from EBTG (I actually wanted to see the opening act...), but they just blew me away. THAT concert were best two hours of my life... :)

runners up:
- Slayer at a gig in Hanover during the "Divine Intervention Tour" (sometime in the mid-90s...) back when I was a mosher :D
- Orbital at Rock am Ring 1999. It was raining so hard that my friends went back to their tents at half past one in the morning... I wanted to see Orbital so bad that I went to the second stage anyway and right before it started, the rain stopped... awsome show and sounds :)

those were the days... still looking forward to see a Kraftwerk gig...

vSpacken