Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
I think I'm going to be moving to Logic Express when I get my new Intel mac, because it doesn't seem like there will be a UB of Cubase LE anytime soon (I was going to buy a control surface that came with LE when the UB came out). Has anybody here made this transition? How do the user interfaces compare? I typically work with 10-15 audio tracks and another 4-5 midi tracks, a few effects on the individual audio tracks and a few master effects. Projects range from 30 second theme songs to 3-5 minute songs and 25-30 minute podcasts (recording up to 4 tracks at a time), and I'll most likely be getting a 20" iMac 2.16GHz with 2GB ram, hooked up to my firepod (8 channel firewire with midi inputs).

Based on some limited experience with Protools, it seems like multitrack audio apps are fairly similar with only a slight learning curve if you know one of them. I've also done some simple projects in Garageband. Can I expect a similarly small learning curve moving to Logic Express?

And a tangential question - what would you recommend as a control surface for Logic Express? I've examined one at the local Apple Store (wish I could remember the name offhand) that is positioned as a Garageband interface but works with Cubase and Logic, but it's the only one they have and I'd hate to choose one simply because it's the only one there.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Based on some limited experience with Protools, it seems like multitrack audio apps are fairly similar with only a slight learning curve if you know one of them.
imho, that rule applies only if you exclude Logic. granted, the version i tried to learn was 5.x, but what a mess. for the life of me, i couldn't get a signal recorded.

then i booted up PTLE for the first time, and in under 2 minutes i was recording. still using PTLE now.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
imho, that rule applies only if you exclude Logic. granted, the version i tried to learn was 5.x, but what a mess. for the life of me, i couldn't get a signal recorded.

then i booted up PTLE for the first time, and in under 2 minutes i was recording. still using PTLE now.

I'd consider PTLE, except it has a very limited set of supported hardware, and I would rather not have to sell what I have and buy new (more expensive) hardware...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
I'd consider PTLE, except it has a very limited set of supported hardware, and I would rather not have to sell what I have and buy new (more expensive) hardware...
yep. and that's about the only reason i sometimes consider switching to something else.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
It's like anything - it's easy once you know how.

My first experience of a DAW was only about 5 years ago, and at that time my school was using Logic on PC's and as it was my final year my tutor basically said "Learn how to record properly else you won't pass the composition element" so Logic became my tool.

That said, I've tried Cubase and find it totally counter-intuitive...But I've tried to get into it so that I can buy a PC to compose off as it's cheaper to buy five or six (I use a lot of orchestral Plug ins and want to have a section of the orchestra per PC - maybe I'll start a thread on how to do this soon!)

Anyway, my rambling aside i'm used to Logic and am now very happy; if not a little miffed that I can't transfer it to PC, my plug ins don't work as some but not all are Universal Binary...

*sigh*

JackPayback

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Cubase LE 4 vs. Logic Express

I've also Considered upgrading from Cubase LE 1 to Logic Express simply because of the Universal Binary Issue. Although I love the proffessional feel of Cubase, on the other hand I've been drawn to Apple's "user friendly interface" when it comes to software. I'm sure Logic is great in many ways, but even some of its great new features are available even is Steinberg's low-end (Essential, LE, AI) versions of Cubase such as Multi-Take Recording and Comping. And as far as the Universal Binary issue goes, the newest version of LE, Cubase LE 4 has a Universal Binary included so it will run on both PPCs and Intel-Macs. Cubase LE 4 is also officially compatible with Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard. It includes many new features from LE 1 like more VST inserts, more I/O channels, Halion One Virtual Instruments, ect,ect. The User Interface is now much more user friendly and has been graphically re-designed to be more appealing and subtel to the eyes. For this reason I have switched to Cubase LE 4 and I find it to be very productive, efficiant, easy and brilliant all at the same time. Using the latest technology from VST3, to Audiowarp, to the newest intuitive Drum & MIDI editiors, I find this software to have the absolute most bang for it's buck. FREE!

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii

When I tried to use ProTools for the first time back in 1993, I hated it. I used Sound Designer II for several years. Then again, I was mostly editing stereo recordings direct from an F1 on Beta and later a DAT deck.

When that old Mac died, the studio went to PCs for awhile, using a couple of strange interfaces, and then Sound Forge and a couple of others.

I still liked the SD II workflow for editing. I think Logic's editing facilities are the closest to the SDII that I've experienced. We'll see.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
I too have moved from cubase to logic since i got my mac. I like the workflow a lot more, how you add/remove effects etc and there are loads of software instruments included with logic unlike cubase.
I would say that cubase is better for more advanced synth work, but logic does a wide range of things in quite an easy way too; the automation in logic 8 is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.