PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Advertise iPhone during Academy Awards

MacRumors
Feb 23, 2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Macworld reports (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/23/iphoneoscar/index.php?lsrc=mwrss) that Apple will be featuring a teaser advertisement for the iPhone during the Academy Awards (Oscars) this Sunday.

Macworld was unable to get any further details about the ad but "the new ad was described as being made for the Oscars".

The 79th Academy Awards airs this Sunday at 8 pm Eastern. Apple introduced the iPhone at Macworld San Francisco and is not expected to be shipping until June 2007.

roland.g
Feb 23, 2007, 03:27 PM
We never get this much news on a Friday. Can't wait to see the ad.

Digitalclips
Feb 23, 2007, 03:27 PM
Well now I will watch them. :)

zelmo
Feb 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
I would have thought the :apple:TV would be the more obvious choice for this broadcast.
Still, any time Apple advertises any product is a good thing. Get people into the stores to browse...and buy.

evilgEEk
Feb 23, 2007, 03:29 PM

I don't think an iPhone ad is enough to make me suffer through that. :p

I'm sure the ad will be online somewhere shortly after its airing.

But it's good that Apple's pushing it already, and I'm sure the ad will be great. :)

BoyBach
Feb 23, 2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, straight after the 'The Beatles on iTunes' advert.

:rolleyes:

aricher
Feb 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
I always Tivo the awards and FF to the good parts. Looks like this advert will be one of those.

jonharris200
Feb 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
Interested to hear perspectives from people trained in marketing about this.

Seems odd to advertise a product several months before release. Free PR is one thing, a prime-time gold slot is another. And then there's Apple. :rolleyes:

Does this imply an earlier release date than June (US) I wonder? Like much earlier, say April...? Or is it just a strategy of 'filling in the gaps' until June?

Or ... is it a fake story from Apple intended to expose a 'source'?

thegoldenmackid
Feb 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
bring Back 1984

brucku
Feb 23, 2007, 03:56 PM
i'd like to see a 1984 style ad, destroying keypads. (jk)

Actually i'd like to see a flushed out teaser add for the (this is just the begining) slogan we saw in January. Get us all hyped for the year.

From a marketing perspective, product buzz is important. Particularly if you feel the market may have adoption worries if your technology is too new. This type of an approach could shorten the public adoption time by starting buzz early.

Think business man that might need to hear and think about switching to a new touch screen phonea few months before he actually switches.

(thats just my 2 cents, as a marketing major)

mrkramer
Feb 23, 2007, 03:58 PM

i think that it is a fake story from someone who will benefit from more people watching the academy awards.

WillGonz
Feb 23, 2007, 04:01 PM
Are these the same clowns who said that there will be an ad during the Super Bowl?

Lepton
Feb 23, 2007, 04:08 PM
I always Tivo the awards and FF to the good parts. Looks like this advert will be one of those.Bingo. It's the only way to see these live award shows. I hope there is an ad - this will be fun!

Peace
Feb 23, 2007, 04:10 PM
Are these the same clowns who said that there will be an ad during the Super Bowl?

NO..It's MacWorld.com.

Personally I think the commercial is a go because Apple and Cisco now share the iPhone name and Apple wants to make sure people know what the REAL iPhone is.

justflie
Feb 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
NO..It's MacWorld.com.

Personally I think the commercial is a go because Apple and Cisco now share the iPhone name and Apple wants to make sure people know what the REAL iPhone is.
Agreed. Now that they've finally secured their right to call it iPhone, I would expect some advertisements to begin making their rounds. I also expect 3G to be in the first gen iPhone. Call me crazy, but I think that the specs Steve presented in January were just to whet our appetite. Apple knows that cell phones will get better as June approaches. It would be a little short-sighted of them to believe that the iPhone will have the same kind of hype (besides the hype for its UI which is amazing) come June without some improvements.

Cult Follower
Feb 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
I think :apple: TV would be a more likely candidate to recieve advertising, it fits the show better. I really don't think we'll see anything about the iPhone just yet. Or maybe it will be a Beatles catalog announcement!

abrooks
Feb 23, 2007, 04:27 PM

I don't think Macworld.com puts its ass on the line for unconfirmed rumours, you can bet this is going to happen.

p0intblank
Feb 23, 2007, 04:30 PM
Wow, I didn't see this coming! I can't wait to see the ad. :D Any ad for the iPhone is sure to be a big one.

PetMac
Feb 23, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, straight after the 'The Beatles on iTunes' advert.

:rolleyes:

Maybe listening to the Beatles on an iPhone, now avialable on iTunes.

chubad
Feb 23, 2007, 04:48 PM
A perfect show for the iPhone. Hollywoods big night. Tie in to the stars and the big money crowd. Not to mention the huge international audience.

Rocketman
Feb 23, 2007, 04:48 PM
Interested to hear perspectives from people trained in marketing about this.

Seems odd to advertise a product several months before release. Free PR is one thing, a prime-time gold slot is another. And then there's Apple. :rolleyes:

Does this imply an earlier release date than June (US) I wonder? Like much earlier, say April...? Or is it just a strategy of 'filling in the gaps' until June?

Phones involve long-term contracts. By pre-announcing the Apple Phone (iPhone/ATN) people inclined to be bleeding edge adopters of the product can plan accordingly with plan renewals and such.

Also being a relatively high price point phone, a portion of their target market has to save and/or budget.

I do believe an ad in this venue is the middle of the target market for a "style and fashion product".

Remember, phone is only one application on this multi-function device.

Rocketman

jonharris200
Feb 23, 2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks, Rocketman. I'd forgotten the long(-er?) phone contracts people have in the States. Saving up... good point too.

sinisterdesign
Feb 23, 2007, 05:13 PM
i think it's too early to advertise something that's not due to hit stores for another few months. people forget products if they can't run out & buy them in a short timeframe.

UNLESS the iPhone is already done & they're going to throw them in those gift bags that they give to celebrities at events like this. or did they do away w/ those b/c of tax implications? i forget. but the iPhone would be a perfect fit for something like that. get it in the hands of celebs, stun the tech crowd by bringing it out months early & then advertise it the same night.

pipedream, i know...but a good one :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Feb 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
It seems a little soon for iPhone ads, but I guess Apple needs to keep them in people's thoughts so nobody wanders off to buy something lesser from a competing phone provider before iPhones are shipping.

iPhones would be perfect for those gift bags they give Oscar presenters. The goodie bags are supposedly worth about $75,000 this year (presenters must get a nasty tax bill). So why not throw in a coupon for a first-day-release iPhone? That's the kind of cool toy celebrities will like having (even if they can't figure out how to use it), and the publicity will be great for Apple.

Frisco
Feb 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
I think it is a great place for a commercial, but I also hope they have some nice Apple TV commercials in the near future.

I am postponing signing a new cell contract, until after the iPhone comes out.

polyesterlester
Feb 23, 2007, 05:26 PM
I hope they're not like the iPod ads... I want to see something new! Excite and surprise me, Apple!

Love,
-Les

P.S. I'm not on the side that usually says, "Show the interface, Apple!" in regards to their commercials, but I really think they should figure out a cool way to show off the interface somehow in this commercial.

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 05:33 PM
Can you believe I can't get ABC in the air 30 miles from downtown Cupertino and San Jose? It's CRAZY. :eek: :mad:

Rocketman
Feb 23, 2007, 05:37 PM
i think it's too early to advertise something that's not due to hit stores for another few months. people forget products if they can't run out & buy them in a short timeframe.

UNLESS the iPhone is already done & they're going to throw them in those gift bags that they give to celebrities at events like this. or did they do away w/ those b/c of tax implications? i forget. but the iPhone would be a perfect fit for something like that. get it in the hands of celebs, stun the tech crowd by bringing it out months early & then advertise it the same night.

pipedream, i know...but a good one :rolleyes:

Some pu$$y at the IRS insisted recipients of gift bags pay the 25% gift tax on the RETAIL VALUE almost immediately upon receipt. As such gift bags have been all but killed. The "gifts" were previously treated as promotonal SWAG and thus were considered to be of minimal value and a promotional expense of the gifting companies.

Did I say the IRS is a bunch of pussies?

Rocketman

SciTeach
Feb 23, 2007, 05:54 PM

I still won't....lame excuse to pat each other on the back.

SciTeach
Feb 23, 2007, 05:56 PM
Can you believe I can't get ABC in the air 30 miles from downtown Cupertino and San Jose? It's CRAZY. :eek: :mad:

In 2009, you won't get any transmission via the airwaves.:mad:

Doctor Q
Feb 23, 2007, 06:03 PM
What kind of ads do they usually have during the Oscar telecast? Other than for the Superbowl, I pay so little attention to TV ads that I really don't have an impression, despite watching the show every year.

Are the ads generally for upscale items or stuff we all might buy? Are the products targeted more to men or more to women? What age group(s) seem to be their primary viewing audience?

aswitcher
Feb 23, 2007, 06:04 PM
Gold iPhones...

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 06:16 PM
In 2009, you won't get any transmission via the airwaves.:mad:Boy are you out of touch with reality. I get 9 digital broadcast channels off air and they will keep coming in the air beyond when I die. Only Analog Broadcasting is ending in 2009 which I already NEVER USE. Talk about mis-information. You seriously need a remedial class in digital broadcasting.

Turkish
Feb 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
Boy are you out of touch with reality. I get 9 digital broadcast channels off air and they will keep coming in the air beyond when I die. Only Analog Broadcasting is ending in 2009 which I already NEVER USE. Talk about mis-information. You seriously need a remedial class in digital broadcasting.

And you need an attitude check.

This Oscar commercial is about as likely as the Super Bowl Beatles commercial.

AidenShaw
Feb 23, 2007, 06:20 PM

That's because the San Andreas Fault is between you and Silicon Valley, and it's pushed up quite a mountain range to block the OTA signals ;) . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_Mountains

But you knew that already....

Telp
Feb 23, 2007, 06:35 PM
i dont get it ? is it just gunna be a regular add or something new, like a new ipod product add?

Telp
Feb 23, 2007, 06:36 PM

Thats the other thing, i mean how can you live up to that one they had during the superbowl this year?!?!?

rdowns
Feb 23, 2007, 06:37 PM
Boy are you out of touch with reality. I get 9 digital broadcast channels off air and they will keep coming in the air beyond when I die. Only Analog Broadcasting is ending in 2009 which I already NEVER USE. Talk about mis-information. You seriously need a remedial class in digital broadcasting.

And you need a remedial course in attitude adjustment.

SciTeach
Feb 23, 2007, 06:39 PM

I wasn't mis-informed....and some people still use analog broadcasting (21 million+ nationwide) because Cable does not go to the area(s) where they live and they CHOOSE not to use Satellite Receivers or can't afford it.

Peace
Feb 23, 2007, 06:40 PM

you must not be famaliar with MacWorld.If they say there's gonna be an iPhone commercial during the Oscars you can count on it.

These are the same people that help do MacWorld.You know? The conference where the iPhone was introduced?

Multimedia
Feb 23, 2007, 07:02 PM
I wasn't mis-informed....and some people still use analog broadcasting (21 million+ nationwide) because Cable does not go to the area(s) where they live and they CHOOSE not to use Satellite Receivers or can't afford it.And I choose to not subscribe to cable nor satellite and I choose to receive DIGITAL HDTV BROADCAST signals that are FREE in my air just like analog ones except the ones I get won't stop coming at me in two years. :eek:

5 PBS - 1HD
CBS HD
FOX HD
NBC HD
CW SD

All for FREE to me.

macfan881
Feb 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
if macworld states this is hapening i belive it more to there the most realible news close to being official as you can with geting news from them in my opinon

Digitalclips
Feb 23, 2007, 07:22 PM
I always Tivo the awards and FF to the good parts. Looks like this advert will be one of those.

I will too. Just moved from Tivo to FiOS HDR and I have to say (off topic as hell) but Verizon have a long way to go to catch up with Tivo's friendly software. The HD is great though :)

donlphi
Feb 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
WOW... a commercial...

uh... what ever happened to the rumored FEBRUARY 20 EVENT?

Enough waiting already... gimme some new macs and iLife updates (included with Leopard).

imacdaddy
Feb 23, 2007, 08:00 PM
I think the person who leaked this info only gave a partial truth behind the advert without losing his/her job in saying it's an iPhone advert. I think it's an :apple: tv commercial since it's going to be displayed/available on March 5th?...the following week? :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet
Feb 23, 2007, 08:13 PM
...Not to mention the huge international audience.

Newsflash: American advertising is not generally carried on international broadcasts, be it the Superbowl, the Oscars, Grammys, whatever... national networks take their own breaks for local spots or for gabbing pundits. So, for instance, while you're watching the iPhone ad, we in the UK will be watching Trinny and Susannah talking about the frocks...

So unless Apple intends to advertise the iPhone in markets that aren't going to see the product on shelves until the end of 2007, or even 2008, we won't see those ads on broadcast TV at least and given Apple's patchy form on TV advertising in the UK, perhaps never.

arn
Feb 23, 2007, 09:20 PM
WOW... a commercial...

uh... what ever happened to the rumored FEBRUARY 20 EVENT?

Feb 20th rumor was posted only to Page 2 (http://page2.macrumors.com) because it was felt to be fake and only after it had already been spread around by other sites. We never thought it was true.

This Oscar ad "rumor" is as likely to happen as any rumor can be. Macworld rarely posts rumors and so they are very confident about it if they've posted it.

arn

drichx
Feb 23, 2007, 09:31 PM
Great, just what I need. Another teaser for the iPhone. I can't wait any longer. :p My phone contract was up this week with Cingular and I can't stand this crappy Razr anymore :'(. COME ON IPHONE!!!!

mrat93
Feb 23, 2007, 09:33 PM
For all of the people who don't believe it, go2mac.com says that Apple announced it.

jaw04005
Feb 23, 2007, 10:38 PM
I wasn't mis-informed....and some people still use analog broadcasting (21 million+ nationwide) because Cable does not go to the area(s) where they live and they CHOOSE not to use Satellite Receivers or can't afford it.

And those 21 million people can purchase relatively cheap digital receivers which will downconvert the HD signal to 480i. Therefore, giving them satellite-like OTA channels for free. What's your point?

mambodancer
Feb 23, 2007, 11:12 PM
If Apple does advertise during the Oscars, I don't think it will be the iPhone they advertise. I'm betting it will be the new video iPod and the Beatles catalog on iTunes and the availability of Oscar nominated movies and new Studio catalogs. That makes a lot more sense for this venue.

Curtis72
Feb 23, 2007, 11:29 PM
:apple: iPhone is still not approved by the FCC so it cannot be sold yet, but it's not to early to advertised for it. And I'm suprised that Apple has pushed the Apple TV more.

Rot'nApple
Feb 24, 2007, 12:32 AM
Some pu$$y at the IRS insisted recipients of gift bags pay the 25% gift tax on the RETAIL VALUE almost immediately upon receipt. As such gift bags have been all but killed. The "gifts" were previously treated as promotonal SWAG and thus were considered to be of minimal value and a promotional expense of the gifting companies.

Did I say the IRS is a bunch of pussies?

Rocketman

""Swag" - expensive freebies from companies hoping to associate their product with celebrities - has become easy money, even by Hollywood standards, over the past decade. "Gifting", which is now a verb here, at last year's Oscars topped more than $US100,000 ($126,000au) and included a 60GB iPod, a vintage Kay Unger silk kimono, six nights at a Hawaiian resort and the latest BlackBerry."
http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,21276463-462,00.html

Sounds like no gift bag I ever received. Companies hoping to associate their products with celebrities never, ever, won my purchasing dollar - be it Hollywood, Musicians or Sports stars. When it comes to that aspect of things, I'm not just another Apple "Lemmings" commercial but rather I "Think Different":D

It is good to see some in Hollywood donate these non earned gift bags to charity, whereas, others demand them as if what, they are Royalty? I for one am glad that the IRS is doing what they are doing. Afterall, shouldn't these bleeding heart, liberal leftists, who are out to save the world and seem to take up every cause known to man sport a dime more than the "average joe" out there in their audience? Let all of them put their money where their mouths are! Unfortunately, they'll find a loophole around the government's attempt to collect, now what was that favorite liberal phrase, oh yes, "to pay their fair share". Yup, like The Kennedy's did when they moved their wealth to offshore accounts, perfectly legal and on the up and up, but that wealth is never accounted for in the annual rituals of claiming one's wealth to the taxman. But 'ole Teddy boy is quick to get in your pockets!

As for me, I haven't watched the Oscars since 1997. I see one, maybe two movies a year if it gets my attention and looks like it might be entertaining. Unfortunately, most movies seem to be nothing but tripe, filled with no talent actors making a waste of fine celluloid. Occassionally, Hollywood will hit one out of the park but for most of them, they are not worth a hard earned penny but that's just my opinion.

So I'll have to wait to see the iPhone commercial at some other time, if this rumor holds true.

Chris Bangle
Feb 24, 2007, 04:01 AM
If Apple does advertise during the Oscars, I don't think it will be the iPhone they advertise. I'm betting it will be the new video iPod and the Beatles catalog on iTunes and the availability of Oscar nominated movies and new Studio catalogs. That makes a lot more sense for this venue.

I hope your right.

Sandfleaz
Feb 24, 2007, 09:28 AM
It does seem a little early for a general audience like you would get for the Oscars. June is a long way off for that type of ad IMHO

JeffDM
Feb 24, 2007, 02:30 PM

?

I don't have a satellite reciever or cable, and I get about twenty digital channels through an ordinary TV antenna. I have an analog and digital TV tuner for my Mac, and I don't even bother tuning the analog TV channels because the digital TV channels are much nicer. I don't live in or near a major metro area either, my area is barely in the top 50.

I expect that by the time the digital changeover happens two years from now, there should be a $100 (or less) set-top tuner for the old analog TV sets. The picture will look a lot nicer, even on old TV sets, because it won't have snow or ghosting.

twoodcc
Feb 25, 2007, 01:48 AM
looking forward to the ad (if it's true).

swingerofbirch
Feb 25, 2007, 01:56 AM
I've noticed that the Apple home page no longer rotates between the iPhone and Shuffle promos; it only shows the iPhone promo. Anyone know how long that's been the case?

mrat93
Feb 25, 2007, 05:25 PM
I've noticed that the Apple home page no longer rotates between the iPhone and Shuffle promos; it only shows the iPhone promo. Anyone know how long that's been the case?

It's been like that since like two weeks after the colored Shuffles came out

timmillwood
Feb 25, 2007, 06:16 PM
so when is the advert on?

getBytesLoaded
Feb 25, 2007, 06:25 PM
so when is the advert on?

Hopefully someone is ready to post it so we don't have to watch every commercial break like the Superbowl.

twoodcc
Feb 25, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hopefully someone is ready to post it so we don't have to watch every commercial break like the Superbowl.

that's what i'm betting on :cool:

bigmc6000
Feb 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
I read somewhere that last year something like 38 million people watched the Oscars. Does anyone actually know anyone who watches it? American Idol gets like 35 million people and finding someone who watches that isn't at all hard but I can't even find anyone who doesn't think the Oscars is huge waste of time. I love movies but when the awards always seem to go to crappy movies that people don't even like it seems rather pointless...

Aperture
Feb 25, 2007, 06:32 PM
If someone sees it, send me a PM and i'll post it online. I'll be recording it on my Mac but won't watch the whole thing. If it does air I'll try to find it and then get it YouTube.
:)

jhero
Feb 25, 2007, 07:22 PM
oscars started, lets see

chubad
Feb 25, 2007, 07:27 PM
Somebody grab it and post it up! We're counting on you! :D :apple:

twoodcc
Feb 25, 2007, 07:30 PM
Somebody grab it and post it up! We're counting on you! :D :apple:

yes we are! ;) :apple:

MattyMac
Feb 25, 2007, 07:36 PM

The superbowl commercials are good.

My gf just switched on the Academy Awards, I may as well watch some of it just to check out the potential commercial.

TheBobcat
Feb 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
Eh, it was ok.

PimpGGG
i jus saw it...kinda fresh

MattyMac
Hello

just saw it..very nice!:apple:

swiftaw
Just saw the iphone commercial.

Basically, a collection of film clips with famous characters saying "Hello"

fireworks501
just aired

xnu
hello, that was pretty good

iLoveMyMBP
I thought this commerical was pretty sweet!!!!!!!! Good job apple

Martin C
It just aired folks.

fireworks501
Feb 25, 2007, 07:53 PM
it was cute!

Ja Di ksw
Saw the new Apple commercial for the iPhone, and have to say, "meh." Just a bunch of characters saying "hello" on phones, then it shows the iPhone and says "Hello"

You can do better than that, Apple.

Daveway
I thought it was lacking:o

bbrosemer
just was on at 8:50

buffalo
They just played the commercial... A bunch of people saying "hello." I wasn't watching carefully and didn't realize it was iPhone until the end.

toxicbomber
I just saw it. Very nice! Hello. it's just like the 1984 mac. :o

lu0s3r322
It was one of the first commericals of the night.

It showed all these Hollywood actors picking up their phones, landline and cell, and saying hello or yo or what's up.

At the end the word 'Hello' was in the middle of a black screen and then it said 'Coming in June' and then the Apple logo.

Pretty good IMO

jericho53
Great new ad!!

gregarious119
Hello?

Hello?

Hello?

Hello.

Just saw it during the Oscars - 8:52pm. Unfortunately I'm not recording it....so can't post any screen caps.

iKwick7
yep.

That was the first commercial too, wasn't it?

EDIT... no, it wasnt. :)

Peace
Hello

Coming in June

luketc
hello hello yo yo hello

still coming in june

and in hi def!

sturigdson
Not bad at all. very appropriate, underplays the phone itself. Kind of fun!

Finnxeon
yeah i didnt even realise it was an apple commercial until the end...it was cool though

pknz
Feb 25, 2007, 07:54 PM
More description of what it was please...

Aperture
I'm getting it online now.

macfan881
thought it was cool it was a whole bunch of people going hello on the phone through diff movies tv shows and then a picture of the iphone it had icnredibles flinstones anchorman i love lucy many more movies thought it was a perfect oscar tie in go :apple:

clonenode
Just saw it... How do I get it off my Comcast box to post!?!?!

p0intblank
I missed it!!! You've got to be kidding me... :(

luketc
Feb 25, 2007, 07:55 PM
a bunch of movie clips with people saying hello (and the occasional yo)

then a pic of iphone, then apple reinvents the phone, then coming in june, then an apple logo

richdun
Feb 25, 2007, 07:56 PM
They just played the commercial... A bunch of people saying "hello." I wasn't watching carefully and didn't realize it was iPhone until the end.

Haha, same here. I was sitting here, playing with some new web designs on my mini, thinking "Hello Hello...a bunch of stars saying hello...what a dumb commercial for the Oscars" when it hit me - hey, you might say "hello" on the iPhone!

Nicely done. Very "this isn't a new thing, but a new way to do something we've done for a century."

TheBobcat
It was clips of TV and movies of famous stars picking up phones saying hello starting with Lucille Ball, progressing to the Incredibles and more recent things.

Ended with picture of iPhone, "Hello" "Coming in June" then a :apple:

Multimedia
I thought this commerical was pretty sweet!!!!!!!! Good job appleI get no ABC broadcast. Please post link to posted copy.

iKwick7

I can too if needed- i have it playing on my EyeTV 250.

twoodcc
Feb 25, 2007, 07:57 PM

looking forward to seeing it

mjstew33
I loved it.

voicegy
Just saw it, like many of you. Rather fun, but was sort of ruined for me by a video art piece I saw at our local art gallery a couple of years ago - the artist put together a montage of tv shows and movies where the exact same thing was done - he used only the "Hello" parts (just like the ad) and then used the "Goodbye" parts - the entire video lasted, oh, about 8 minutes as I recall. It was a very nice, original piece of work.

Let's see if I can dig up the artist - so he can sue Apple. Ha!:eek:

MacD
Feb 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
You can watch it at Macosx.com.

http://macosx.com/iPhoneCommerical.mov

p0intblank
Feb 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the link! The ad was pretty cool. It felt like the "Think different." campaign. I loved the ending. =D

mtrctyjoe
Feb 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
Did not even catch it....... thanks to Tivo I got a second chance.

For a teaser... pretty cool!

BrooklynSlade
Feb 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
yo i just saw it. aww i loved it :) . when they were showing all of the people picking up the phones i started to get that this could be it. and if you think about it, it makes sense they'd air during the oscars because phones are seen in movies more than in football games! lol

Aperture
Feb 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
It is taking a while to export from EyeTV. I'll try to get it on YouTube as a mirror soon.

gusapple
Feb 25, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hello? That was awsome! It had only the greatest clips from the greatest movies! That was the best commercial (excluding 1984) that Apple has ever made. Bravo Apple!:apple:

mtrctyjoe
Feb 25, 2007, 08:04 PM
This is the BEST *&^%$#$%^&* Mac Forum on the PLANET! Only the freaks on this site would man up the commercial seconds after it aired.

You SUMS_A_BEEEEEEATCHES are da SHIZZLE!

iKwick7
Feb 25, 2007, 08:05 PM
A couple of screen grabs- not really much to it.

Peace
Here's the mp4 of it :

http://homepage.mac.com/cmcdan/iMovieTheater44.html

twoodcc
You can watch it at Macosx.com.

http://macosx.com/iPhoneCommerical.mov

thanks for the link. i liked it. hopefully someone will post an HD clip of it though

gusapple
Feb 25, 2007, 08:06 PM
This is the BEST *&^%$#$%^&* Mac Forum on the PLANET! Only the freaks on this site would man up the commercial seconds after it aired.

You SUMS_A_BEEEEEEATCHES are da SHIZZLE!

Is this a good thing????? Or is it an insult?????

mtrctyjoe
Feb 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
Is this a good thing????? Or is it an insult?????

It's a good thing!:)

gusapple
Feb 25, 2007, 08:12 PM
That commercial was so good, it could have been the best one during the Super Bowl. But it would have been out of place, so it was good timing.:apple:

Aperture
Feb 25, 2007, 08:17 PM
Full YouTube Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBoG1qbzeog)

chubad
Feb 25, 2007, 08:19 PM
Here's the mp4 of it :

Good work!! Thanks. We'll see how long your bandwidth holds out!! :D :apple:

cutething
Feb 25, 2007, 08:25 PM
You guys rock hard. Thanks very much for this.

Aperture
Feb 25, 2007, 08:30 PM
Here is another .mov mirror of the WHOLE ad. (Until my YouTube link becomes active)

LINK (http://kevinschaefer.net/iphone.mov)

polyesterlester
Feb 25, 2007, 08:38 PM
Here is another .mov mirror of the WHOLE ad. (Until my YouTube link becomes active)

LINK (http://kevinschaefer.net/iphone.mov)

Thanks, I hadn't seen the very beginning. Although, technically, this isn't the whole ad (it's missing the apple logo at the end).

p0intblank
Feb 25, 2007, 08:58 PM
The ad just aired again! Beautiful in HD! :D

voicegy
Feb 25, 2007, 09:21 PM
Just saw it, like many of you. Rather fun, but was sort of ruined for me by a video art piece I saw at our local art gallery a couple of years ago - the artist put together a montage of tv shows and movies where the exact same thing was done - he used only the "Hello" parts (just like the ad) and then used the "Goodbye" parts - the entire video lasted, oh, about 8 minutes as I recall. It was a very nice, original piece of work.

Let's see if I can dig up the artist - so he can sue Apple. Ha!:eek:

I found it. Sorry, Apple - this has been done before - back in 1995:

"Cleverly conceived and artfully edited, (artist) Christian Marclay's 7 1/2-minute video, Telephones, comprises a succession of brief film clips that creates a humorous narrative of its own in which the characters, in progression, dial, hear the phone ring, pick it up, converse, react, say goodbye and hang up."

http://www.ocma.net/index.html?page=new&piece=22

Anonymous Freak
Feb 25, 2007, 09:31 PM
Here's the mp4 of it :

So are you a Portlandian, too, or were you just here to see RatDog? :-p (P.S. You're going to go over your .Mac bandwidth cap quickly.)

Peace
Feb 25, 2007, 09:34 PM
So are you a Portlandian, too, or were you just here to see RatDog? :-p (P.S. You're going to go over your .Mac bandwidth cap quickly.)

I moved to Portland about 3 months ago.I've known the Dead for many years.
Bandwidth?

It's an 8 mb file.Last I saw it had 2700 hits.

I'm already way over my allotted bandwidth.

Steve's from P-Town:p

p0intblank
Feb 25, 2007, 09:39 PM
I just saw a "Wow." Vista ad... more like "Lame."

psycoswimmer
Feb 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
I saw the Apple commerical.. very nice and unique..

During the Academy Awards, though, while Steve Carell was talking about Little Miss Sunshine (I think it was then) the background music was the same as spicyapple's video for the contest MR had for 3,000,000 posts.