PDA

View Full Version : treachery?

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 05:37 PM
well, as some of you know, my dad is a Dell employee. earlier this year, in March, he wanted me to apply for the "Dell Merit Scholarship." i figured, what the heck, there's not even an essay really. so i did. well, about 2 days ago, i was informed via email that i am one of 15 students who have received this scholarship; it's just $2000 to go with my National Merit Scholarship of $3000--it's a start, plus i have a free ride :D.

anyways, today i discovered that Micheal Dell is going to be handing out these awards to us at a ceremony on June 30th. i almost fell out of my chair (so to speak; i was standing at the time). i need to buy an Apple polo shirt now....

:D :cool: :D :eek:

Kwyjibo
May 31, 2003, 06:00 PM
National Merit Scholar wow..... I took the initial PSAT and I was ahead of 98% of students and I did not qualify for that quite impressive. Two people from my school did tho.

mrjamin
May 31, 2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
well, as some of you know, my dad is a Dell employee. earlier this year, in March, he wanted me to apply for the "Dell Merit Scholarship." i figured, what the heck, there's not even an essay really. so i did. well, about 2 days ago, i was informed via email that i am one of 15 students who have received this scholarship; it's just $2000 to go with my National Merit Scholarship of $3000--it's a start, plus i have a free ride :D.

anyways, today i discovered that Micheal Dell is going to be handing out these awards to us at a ceremony on June 30th. i almost fell out of my chair (so to speak; i was standing at the time). i need to buy an Apple polo shirt now....

:D :cool: :D :eek:

hehe, congrats man! i reckon you should get an apple sticker and stick it to his back or something, that'd be funny

caveman_uk
May 31, 2003, 06:10 PM
Good on you. Money is money. Buy a mac with the cash:D

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Good on you. Money is money. Buy a mac with the cash:D i think it has to be scholastically related. plus i already have a more valuable computer :D

but perhaps i can see if they have something going like that.

but thank you all kindly for all the congratulations; it's been a week of closings and awards with graduation and all. i wanted this thread to focus on meeting big mike though :D

Wes
May 31, 2003, 06:25 PM
i think it has to be scholastically related. plus i already have a more valuable computer :D

but thank you all kindly for all the congratulations; it's been a week of closings and awards with graduation and all. i wanted this thread to focus on meeting big mike though :D

Go to the ceremony and the second Michael Dell walks in, storm out yelling, "WHO TOLD ME I WAS GOING TO MEET STEVE JOBS?". Make sure you arrange to get your money before the ceremony. ;)

evoluzione
May 31, 2003, 06:29 PM
ah haha! fantastic, good on ya mate.

there's some top stuff around that you should look at getting, maybe you could get an apple store employee shirt for the day or somehting, want me to ask at the SoHo store for ya?? they'd love that. :D

trebblekicked
May 31, 2003, 06:34 PM
jeez. if you really, really wanted to, i bet you could sneak an apple reference into whatever press coverage they get for this...

the possibilites are endless...the apple polo is a nice idea. not too much, he may not notice...that's they key. be subtle so it can maybe see the light of press. i'm gonna keep thinking about this. i bet we can come up with something good;)

scem0
May 31, 2003, 06:35 PM
Congrats! Where do I sign up? ;)

I actually have met 'Mr. Dell' before. His daughter went to my elementary school (St. Andrews Episcopal). I soooooooo would have hooked up with her if she wasn't six years younger than me. ;):D. Plus, 6 body guards would get kinda annoying.

MacFan25
May 31, 2003, 07:02 PM
Congratulations! Does your Dad mind that you are such an Apple fanatic?

Roger1
May 31, 2003, 07:26 PM
Actually, I think you should thank Mr. Dell, profusely, making sure he gets your name, and knows who your dad is. You never know, it might help your dad out, in some small way. This is called "sucking up". Heck, he may end up liking you, and giving you a summer internship or something. :)

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Roger1
Actually, I think you should thank Mr. Dell, profusely, making sure he gets your name, and knows who your dad is. You never know, it might help your dad out, in some small way. This is called "sucking up". Heck, he may end up liking you, and giving you a summer internship or something. :) lol. well he will know who my dad is if he cares. i don't think he gives out summer internships himself, though if i don't have a job by then and i get to talk to him, i'll probably have the balls to ask.

wdlove
May 31, 2003, 08:18 PM
Congratulations shadowfax that is truly awesome! You are one lucky fella. I trust that you will be on your best behavior! ;) You never know it could endup leading to a job with Dell. Would you be interested?

zarathustra
May 31, 2003, 08:21 PM
i think it has to be scholastically related. plus i already have a more valuable computer :D
[/edit]

Get the mac from the "educational" store. You get a discount, and this way they can't say you are not doing it for your educational purposes. ;)

You can never have enough computers, ipods, gadgets, etc...

Steradian
May 31, 2003, 08:43 PM
you should sooooo have one of these shirts on when they present the award. Here (http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/02/28.2.shtml) Hmm second thought your dad might loose his job...Anyway's Congrats! 3 of my friends recived that National merit award, I didn't :( sooo close yet sooo far.

vniow
May 31, 2003, 08:59 PM
$%^$^%%$^%$@#)(&*

Lucky bastard...http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=259055

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by vniow
$%^$^%%$^%$@#)(&*

Lucky bastard...http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=259055 *kiss* :-* :-)

:p :o :p

where are the devious ideas?

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Congratulations shadowfax that is truly awesome! You are one lucky fella. I trust that you will be on your best behavior! ;) You never know it could endup leading to a job with Dell. Would you be interested? like an internship? maybe. but i'd really prefer not to work there out of college. my dad's been there 5 years and doesn't like it much anymore.

Roger1
May 31, 2003, 09:23 PM
Here's a thought, if you still want to be devious. If you have to wear a tie, find a small Apple pin (preferably a rainbow colored one) and use it as a tie tack.

Just a thought...:)

Flowbee
May 31, 2003, 09:32 PM
well, about 2 days ago, i was informed via email that i am one of 15 students who have received this scholarship; it's just $2000 to go with my National Merit Scholarship of $3000--it's a start, plus i have a free ride.

I can't see any problem with *taking* money from Dell... it's when the cash starts flowing the other way that you're in trouble. :D

Congrats.

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 09:33 PM
do you really think the subtle route is better? maybe i should suck up and get an internship and then start with the apple pranks.

medea
May 31, 2003, 09:50 PM
don't be an ass, these people are giving you money and you are accepting it so don't make an ass out of yourself.
at the most wear an apple shirt, don't push it though, they are giving you money for college but they probably don't like to support morons who make a fool out of themselves.....
ok that came off a little harsh, but be a realist man, you want to start off in the right direction with school don't you,so be intelligent about this.

shadowfax
May 31, 2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by medea
don't be an ass, these people are giving you money and you are accepting it so don't make an ass out of yourself.
at the most wear an apple shirt, don't push it though, they are giving you money for college but they probably don't like to support morons who make a fool out of themselves.....
ok that came off a little harsh, but be a realist man, you want to start off in the right direction with school don't you,so be intelligent about this. (a) i have more scholarship money than i really can use.
(b) this is just a joke, situational humor. i wouldn't really try to offend a multimillionaire. lighthearted humor. lighthearted humor! ;)

CMillerERAU
May 31, 2003, 11:55 PM
If you got an internship they'd put you in the commercials with those other doofers.

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by CMillerERAU
If you got an internship they'd put you in the commercials with those other doofers. boy, wouldn't i love to be the next steven. i could even get arrested for smoking pot!

pseudobrit
Jun 1, 2003, 02:00 AM
boy, wouldn't i love to be the next steven. i could even get arrested for smoking pot!

You can get arrested for smoking pot?

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
You can get arrested for smoking pot? in america--yeah. i don't know how they charge that--if it's actually smoking or buying it that screws you over. maybe both.

Royal Pineapple
Jun 1, 2003, 03:27 AM
in america--yeah. i don't know how they charge that--if it's actually smoking or buying it that screws you over. maybe both.
both;):D

maradong
Jun 1, 2003, 06:19 AM
congrats. but i would n t push it to far neither. that s really not a kind of cleverness.
A little apple shirt, should do the job :D

Roger1
Jun 1, 2003, 08:02 AM
i have more scholarship money than i really can use.

Push some my way then. I've been wanting to go back to school, and this would be a big boost toward that happening. :D

Seriously, you actually have too much money??

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Roger1
Push some my way then. I've been wanting to go back to school, and this would be a big boost toward that happening. :D

Seriously, you actually have too much money?? i have basically a free ride plus $5000 in scholarships. i am not really sure how i am going to use that $5000. There will probably be weird unexpected expenses that it will cover. i hope.

MacFan25
Jun 1, 2003, 01:20 PM
i have basically a free ride plus $5000 in scholarships. i am not really sure how i am going to use that $5000. There will probably be weird unexpected expenses that it will cover. i hope.
i think that you've said before...but what college are you going to?

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
i think that you've said before...but what college are you going to? oklahoma university :rolleyes:

wdlove
Jun 1, 2003, 08:37 PM
oklahoma university :rolleyes:

Congratulations shadowfax, guess you are quite an intelligent young man, I imagine that your parents are very proud of you! So you are an Oklahoma Sooner, your school is a big rival of the U of Nebraska Cornhuskers. We lived in Nebraska for 10 years and that is the pastime during football season. WE still like to follow the team!

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 08:41 PM
Congratulations shadowfax, guess you are quite an intelligent young man, I imagine that your parents are very proud of you! So you are an Oklahoma Sooner, your school is a big rival of the U of Nebraska Cornhuskers. We lived in Nebraska for 10 years and that is the pastime during football season. WE still like to follow the team! i thought you were from texas? when did you live in nebraska?

MrMacMan
Jun 1, 2003, 10:04 PM
Damn you Shadowfax, with your,
'I have too much money for college'

DAMN YOOU! :(

Just apply, and switch people over.

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Damn you Shadowfax, with your,
'I have too much money for college'

DAMN YOOU! :(

Just apply, and switch people over. lol, you should see whare some of my friends are going (harvard, UChicago, berkeley, bah!). i feel like the bitch of the group.

sparkleytone
Jun 1, 2003, 10:21 PM
as a native, i have to ask....OKLAHOMA!?!? what program are you going for? i mean i chose a small school simply because they have the best music school in the state and one of the best undergrad programs in the nation. what would possess a texan to go to oklahoma by choice?

tazo
Jun 1, 2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
as a native, i have to ask....OKLAHOMA!?!? what program are you going for? i mean i chose a small school simply because they have the best music school in the state and one of the best undergrad programs in the nation. what would possess a texan to go to oklahoma by choice?

LMAO :D :D :D

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 11:12 PM
as a native, i have to ask....OKLAHOMA!?!? what program are you going for? i mean i chose a small school simply because they have the best music school in the state and one of the best undergrad programs in the nation. what would possess a texan to go to oklahoma by choice? a free ride, mostly. exclusively, in fact. but hey--no insults. i am NOT a Texan, and proud of it. i was born in Arkansas (shamage i know), but lived my conscious childhood in New Mexico, thus considering myself a New Mexican. my dad is an OSU graduate (and also very smart. i have no issues with going to OU. it's free, and an education is what you make of it, IMO.

vniow
Jun 1, 2003, 11:54 PM

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=259055

jefhatfield
Jun 2, 2003, 06:30 AM

if you are in any major in school that can benefit from a computer, then i can see how one can make a case that it is scholastically related

many colleges have bookstores which have access to macs directly

and since one always needs new computers, including macs, due to technological changes, then that money might come in handy for a mac, for school/college, sooner than you think;)

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 10:21 AM
i thought you were from texas? when did you live in nebraska?

I'm a native fo Ohio! Only been to Texas twice. The 1st time was in 1974 at Shephard AFB for Officers Medical Basic Orientation, it lasted for 1 WK. The 2nd time was in 1988 in San Antonio for Nurse Flight School. I spent 5 1/2 weeks there, including Thanksgiving. After OMBO, my duty station was at Offuit AFB, just outside of Omaha. I lived there for 10 years altogether.

shadowfax
Jun 2, 2003, 12:53 PM
I'm a native fo Ohio! Only been to Texas twice. The 1st time was in 1974 at Shephard AFB for Officers Medical Basic Orientation, it lasted for 1 WK. The 2nd time was in 1988 in San Antonio for Nurse Flight School. I spent 5 1/2 weeks there, including Thanksgiving. After OMBO, my duty station was at Offuit AFB, just outside of Omaha. I lived there for 10 years altogether. what a really odd confusion i seem to have had. oh well, good to have that cleared up. i suppose youve spent a lot of time in the flatlands, eh?

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 02:17 PM
what a really odd confusion i seem to have had. oh well, good to have that cleared up. i suppose youve spent a lot of time in the flatlands, eh?

Omaha area, the eastern part of the state had quite alot of hills. Driving on I 80 after Boys Town, then it was flat prairie. I can still remember heading toward Lincoln and marveling at how flat it was. You could clearly see the capital off in the distance! :)

shadowfax
Jun 2, 2003, 09:15 PM
it turns out this ceremony of sorts will be in the Dell executive board office in Round Rock (at corporate HQ i guess). Micheal Dell has a habit of taking all 15 students to the executive briefing room alone for half an hour, doing a Q&A with us. so if you have anything you want me to ask him, shoot. i thought i would ask about their design process and how they look at apple as a competitor.

tazo
Jun 2, 2003, 09:19 PM
it turns out this ceremony of sorts will be in the Dell executive board office in Round Rock (at corporate HQ i guess). Micheal Dell has a habit of taking all 15 students to the executive briefing room alone for half an hour, doing a Q&A with us. so if you have anything you want me to ask him, shoot. i thought i would ask about their design process and how they look at apple as a competitor.

Apple? I thought they went out of business...... :)

shadowfax
Jun 30, 2003, 04:51 PM
well, today was my big day, i guess. my grandpa, who is the coolest grandpa you could ever imagine, came up to Austin from Rockport to take me, and we drove to the Corporate HQ building at 2:00. we went to the board room and chatted with the other scholarship winners, and then Micheal showed up at 2:30 and we got to talk to him. he said some pretty cool stuff. i like the guy. he was very cordial, has a very endearing and sincere smile, and seems on top of things. we couldn't get to the 2 questions i had a mind to ask him, but there were some intriguing questions. he dealt with them pretty well, i thought. the worst question was about what trait has been most important to him in succeeding. he replied that curiosity was the main thing that set him apart from others in his success, and while that's maybe a bit vague, i thought he was right on there. made a few sly comments about microsoft inadvertently... heh, he's a pretty sharp guy.

i was between a brother and sister seated in the board room, both going to Harding University next year. their mom is a powerbook G4 user and the girl herself used a mac clone from like way back, 1997 or whenever they were still letting the clones make mac stuff.

scem0
Jun 30, 2003, 05:00 PM
I too think Michael Dell is a cool guy.

He doesn't let his fame get to him, and he is really on top of his ****.

He also was very nice and seemed very sincere when I met him.

It's good to see he doesn't have a problem with mac users ;).

scem0

shadowfax
Jun 30, 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by scem0
It's good to see he doesn't have a problem with mac users ;). indeed. a mac would fit right in with the gorgeous architecture of the place. it has lots of light-colored wood lining the walls and staircases, very elegantly designed, much in contrast to the computers they sell.

wdlove
Jun 30, 2003, 08:10 PM
Did you receive a scholarship Shadowfax? Sorry to hear that you didn't get to ask any of your questions!

ouketii
Jun 30, 2003, 08:22 PM
i dont think michael dell is as prophetic to dell computer users as steve jobs is to apple users. i guess because when dell introduces a new computer, it just shows up on their web site and people say 'oh, look. another black box that does the same thing as all the other black boxes.' but jobs types out a nifty little keynote and shows off the new stuff like its gold bullets at the NRA.

shadowfax
Jun 30, 2003, 10:05 PM
you're right ouketii, though prophetic is not a word i would use for Jobs. he's more of an icon, a creator of great things, less a prophet who speakds of things to come than someone who ushers in what comes. perhaps he does have a small element of the prophetic in him, though. at any rate, Micheal dell is no such person, hardly even a celebrity really. just a man who made a business, like bill gates, but less psychotically domineering. as one of the people commented, he's a man who has succeeded not on product innovation like apple, but rather on business innovation. Dell's business model got them where they are today. so you're right, it's nothing like meeting steve jobs, and probably a lot less interesting for someone like me who finds economics and business rather distasteful. nevertheless, it was fun for the experience.

wdlove, i did indeed receive a $2000 Dell Merit Scholarship, and that is what this ceremony was for.

Frohickey
Jun 30, 2003, 10:27 PM

You could spend the $2000 on a downpayment for a dooley PowerMac G5. :D

Frohickey
Jun 30, 2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ouketii
but jobs types out a nifty little keynote and shows off the new stuff like its gold bullets at the NRA.

Are you equating Mac users to NRA members?

I have seen a few Glock and HK tshirts over here, so there's got to be some over here.

shadowfax
Jun 30, 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Frohickey
You could spend the $2000 on a downpayment for a dooley PowerMac G5. :D actually, that's really the pisser. i have to use it this school year, so i probably will end up having to buy a computer come next may... i dunno what i am going to do. i don't really want a $2000 computer, and i don't know that my parents would go for too much. maybe a steep student discount on a new powerbook. i could get them to loan me the money and then sell my current one to pay it back, maybe to someone around here... heh heh...