PDA

View Full Version : Someone just busted a window in my house

kylos
Jun 1, 2003, 02:43 AM
I was sleeping when at about 2:30 someone started throwing rocks, etc., at my house. It woke me up but I figured I just had an odd dream or something. Then when some of the guys I'm renting with started talking I really woke up. There's glass on the floor and in a couch in the living room. This city is crazy.

alset
Jun 1, 2003, 02:52 AM
Sorry that happened to you. Did anyone see anything? Got any enemies?

Dan

kylos
Jun 1, 2003, 03:01 AM
A guy in the house next to us saw some people running off. He was on the phone with someone in my house when it happened.

No enemies. I attend a premier technical university that happens to be located in a very rotten neighborhood and there've been some pretty interesting things going on this term. No physical against students so far as I know, but some pretty frightening break-ins.

mrjamin
Jun 1, 2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Kyle?
A guy in the house next to us saw some people running off. He was on the phone with someone in my house when it happened.

No enemies. I attend a premier technical university that happens to be located in a very rotten neighborhood and there've been some pretty interesting things going on this term. No physical against students so far as I know, but some pretty frightening break-ins.

we got broken into last week - not nice is it? my friend's iBook was stolen :(

kylos
Jun 1, 2003, 07:15 AM
Oh man, I got off quite easy. I'd be very upset if someone walked off with my ibook.

P-Worm
Jun 1, 2003, 09:28 AM
Man that's scary. I'm not sure what I'd do in a situation like that. Things are pretty wuiet in Utah as far as crime is concerned...

P-Worm

scem0
Jun 1, 2003, 12:29 PM
That is almost unheard of in rural Austin. That really sucks. You should move to Austin. Texans are friendly.

Wow. I think I need to take a writing class.... ;)

MacFan25
Jun 1, 2003, 01:02 PM
at least they didnt take your iBook! we've been pretty lucky...never had our house broken into. but, my dad did get some stuff stolen out of his car a couple years ago.

kylos
Jun 1, 2003, 03:27 PM
This morning when I got up I found two more busted windows. They ran off without entering but our next door neighbor saw them doing it so I'm guessing they got scared and bolted. Flint is a messed up city. It's kinda disconcerting when you realize that your house is probably being canvassed on a regular basis.

shadowfax
Jun 1, 2003, 03:34 PM
did you read my post awhile back about my car window getting smashed in the middle of the night?

i hate stupid crap like this. i can almost understand acts of revenge (and still not condone them), but random stuff really bothers me.

wdlove
Jun 1, 2003, 03:57 PM
Sorry to hear about the attack on your house, I'm glad to hear that you are OK.

When I attended a specialized college it was in run down area of Cincinnati. My parents & I had concerns, but nothing ever happened!

garzy
Jun 1, 2003, 06:05 PM
you live in Flint?
i almost got stabbed by a guy there

medea
Jun 1, 2003, 06:39 PM
once at a previous job the car I had at that time was broken into, odd thing is that they didnt steal anything they just pulled out like a pointless panel for the the fuses and kinda played around with some stuff, they didnt touch my car stereo or anything so it was quite puzzling, they must of had dirty hands because I could see handprints all over the windows etc so I figured that would make it easy for the cops to do a fingerprint matchup but the damn police were trying to talk me out of filling a report!!
they didnt want to do the work on a case so pointless.......

kylos
Jun 1, 2003, 07:03 PM
shadowfax: hadn't heard about your car. I haven't been on the boards in a while (studying), but I know what that's like.

wdlove: Thanks. It was quite a shock.

garzy: I attend a university here. Don't want to be here any more than possible.

medea: My dad had probably almost ten thousand dollars of equipment stolen a few years back. The police pretty much said claim your insurance and if something shows up we'll look into it, but otherwise they really don't want to spend a lot of effort on such things.

JesseJames
Jun 1, 2003, 07:04 PM
Quickly now. Put up sandbags around your house. At least 2 deep and 6 feet high. Mark sectors of fire for your M60 emplacements. Place Claymore mines at 5 meter intervals behind 3-strand concertina wire. Dig hasty fighting positions with interlocking fields of fire and set range markers from 50 to 500 meters out for your grenadiers and mortars. Too bad you don't have air support resources. At night pull 50 percent security. One man off one man on.

kylos
Jun 1, 2003, 07:11 PM
Ha.:) :D Broken glass is actually pretty good for this city, so we didn't make out that bad. But seriously, this city does look like a war zone in places.

wdlove
Jun 1, 2003, 07:32 PM
Ha.:) :D Broken glass is actually pretty good for this city, so we didn't make out that bad. But seriously, this city does look like a war zone in places.

I pray that you will be safe until after your graduation, and are able to move away!

MrMacMan
Jun 1, 2003, 07:48 PM
I would be prepared for a 2ed act today.

Calling the police is a bad thing or something?

Sorry about the damge tho man!

rainman::|:|
Jun 1, 2003, 07:57 PM
we're moving in two weeks (because my partner's car was broken into a while ago), so we had a ton of stuff boxed and moved to the garage-- to make things less stressful when we actually move. Anyway, a week or two ago, someone broke into the garage and stole tons of stuff. Just randomly. I'm convinced they're all retarded... they took an empty powerbook box! thank god for renters' insurance, we're getting $12,000 of it back at least...

i've been laying out plans for an X-10 smarthome in the new place... it now includes a wireless camera in the garage attached to a motion-activated VCR inside. It'll be a better neighborhood, but still... i hate robbers.

pnw

kylos
Jun 2, 2003, 08:27 PM
Oh great. Our landlord is claiming that we broke the windows. We'll see how this turns out...

trebblekicked
Jun 2, 2003, 09:14 PM
Oh great. Our landlord is claiming that we broke the windows. We'll see how this turns out...

damn, that sucks. could this guy be considered a slumlord? we have all kinds of those *******s around campuses here. they try to take advantage of students, never give back security deposits, blame damage on them, etc. don't let him/her screw you. good luck.

kylos
Jun 2, 2003, 10:12 PM
Yeah, he seems like a pleasant guy, but a few things give me the impression that he's a slumlord. I'm going to try overwhelming logic with him and then threaten a lawsuit if he pushes it. I figure if I don't react the way he expects (getting mad and all) he'll back down.