Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Not Digital, but real format.

Whether it be old skool as 8-Track, Cassette, to LP, CD.

Let's see how much music you have and how you store it.

Go!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
You mean something like this?

Orange box full of 7"s, Equipment and Box sets:
Continued below

Attachments

• 7s.jpg
    7s.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 94
  • act.jpg
    act.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 92
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 85

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Cds, 10", 12" and LPs:

These photos are a few months old, there's probably another 50 CDs and 30 LPs to add to these.
121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

cds1.jpg

cds2.jpg

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Mine pales in comparison to that ^, but I think it's pretty good considering I've bought it all myself.

cdsbs8.jpg

I've got a bit of vinyl in my room, not much though. Most of it's all out in the studio (there's tonnes of it out there, about 4000 of them dating back to the early sixties up to brand new stuff), but it's all coming into join what I've got soon :)

vinylsnb4.jpg

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I've got a bit of vinyl in my room, not much though. Most of it's all out in the studio (there's tonnes of it out there, about 4000 of them dating back to the early sixties up to brand new stuff), but it's all coming into join what I've got soon :)

vinylsnb4.jpg
I see your Fleetwood Mac Rumors album. One of my favorite.

Gave my LPs away some time ago. I have that one on CD now.

I used to display my collection (600+ CDs) but now have them stored away in CD cases. Since I have all my CDs (songs that I like) imported to my iTunes library I just play them from there.

On a side note, I knew a fellow who had close to 1,200 records (vinyl). It was a really nice collection.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Rumours is a fantastic album, one of my favourites. It's also my standard hifi test album, stunningly good recording & mix, and I know it really, really well. Got the CD version & Vinyl, Vinyl is better!

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006

Sorry about not posting first. What I have is not impressive at all. I think a 10 year-old has more cds than I do. ;)

I do not have any storage area at this point, so I have them on top shelf of my son's closet.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Haha thanks for all the comments :)

As for the CD thing, I completely agree! DDD recordings on CD beat vinyl hands down, and it's even better if you listen on a completely digital system.

Played a recording of some 16th Century plainchant on a completely digital system in B&O, again, a DDD recording, and it was just absolutely unbelievable! Never heard anything so open and transparent...

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Haha thanks for all the comments :)

As for the CD thing, I completely agree! DDD recordings on CD beat vinyl hands down, and it's even better if you listen on a completely digital system.

Played a recording of some 16th Century plainchant on a completely digital system in B&O, again, a DDD recording, and it was just absolutely unbelievable! Never heard anything so open and transparent...

and so cold. Digital only sounds more clean. For the raw warmth that music tries to convey nothing beats vinyl.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
and so cold. Digital only sounds more clean. For the raw warmth that music tries to convey nothing beats vinyl.

Not if the mix is right. A fully digital signal-path right the way from the very beginnings in the studio to the latest point possible before it reaches your speakers really makes the most unbelievable difference! I was in the same boat as you, that nothing beats vinyl until I heard as I describe, a fully digital recording on a fully digital sound system (digital amps, crossover etc... no D/A or A/D conversion at any point). Really, it will absolutely blow your socks off...

Just some stuff in the basement.
<image>

Living room wall or what used to be a living room wall.

<image>

:eek: :eek: :cool:

:eek:

Nice stuff! The end of my room where my current vinyl collection is will look a bit like that in a few weeks :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Not if the mix is right. A fully digital signal-path right the way from the very beginnings in the studio to the latest point possible before it reaches your speakers really makes the most unbelievable difference!
Completely agree.

I used to own a Carver amp that could put out 430 continuous watts with, if memory serves, up to 750 watts per channel short term.

When pumping music, a DDD CD is simply awesome. There is no hiss, hum, or any other background noise. When there is no sound, there is no sound. When there is sound, it is very crisp and clear with a huge range. As for warmth, I think that depends more on the artist and the song. Some of Lee Ritenour's songs are so beautiful.

I used to do a little DJ'ing a long time ago. "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straights on their DDD CD is fun to play at full power. The silence was deafening. Good song to push a system.

...sometimes I miss my old stereo.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.

Sorry about not posting first. What I have is not impressive at all. I think a 10 year-old has more cds than I do. ;)

I do not have any storage area at this point, so I have them on top shelf of my son's closet.

I own about 10 Vinyl's, and 10 Casettes, but here's my CD collection:

3 baby. 3.:D

Attachments

• 070227_193559.jpg
    070227_193559.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 82

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
toothpaste do you just live in a record store?:)

Damn fine collection BTW, I'm on the slightly envious side!!

But I must ask:

Do you listen to them all or do you just buy lots of vinyl and put it on shelves?

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Just some stuff in the basement.

Living room wall or what used to be a living room wall.
:eek: :eek:
I hope you have some really good organisation system. I see the L so I guess its alphabetically, by artist or album?

Its amazing most of them look pretty worn out, so I guess you listen to them a bunch.:eek:

PS: Ever read the book 'High Fidelity'?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
:eek: :eek:
I hope you have some really good organisation system. I see the L so I guess its alphabetically, by artist or album?

Its amazing most of them look pretty worn out, so I guess you listen to them a bunch.:eek:

PS: Ever read the book 'High Fidelity'?

The film is brilliant if you haven't seen it (well, IMO anyways).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.