Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
I was just wondering what FCP actually does when it's "Writing Video..."? First I rendered my project, which took about 8 hours, but then it started writing video, and this has now gone for about 3-4 hours, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere near finished.
And why doesn't it just do it once? When i finished rendering I got a "Writing Video..." dialog, that got to 100%, leading me to assuming that I was done, but then it started again, and again, and it still goes.
Just wondering what's actually happening, if this is the way it's supposed to work or if I should abort..

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
What Mac Are You Using?

I was just wondering what FCP actually does when it's "Writing Video..."? First I rendered my project, which took about 8 hours, but then it started writing video, and this has now gone for about 3-4 hours, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere near finished.
And why doesn't it just do it once? When i finished rendering I got a "Writing Video..." dialog, that got to 100%, leading me to assuming that I was done, but then it started again, and again, and it still goes.
Just wondering what's actually happening, if this is the way it's supposed to work or if I should abort..
Sounds like your Mac is weak. What model, speed, processor, amount of RAM are you using?

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
Sounds like your Mac is weak. What model, speed, processor, amount of RAM are you using?

2X2,5GhZ G5. System has 3,5 GB ram, i don't know what FCP is set to use, and I don't want to abort to check, in case that leaves what it has done so far useless..
Machine doesn't feel weak for most things at least, but this is a 20 minute DV-project with Livetype-stuff, Motion-files and a lot of overlays of products and logos.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
2X2,5GhZ G5. System has 3,5 GB ram, i don't know what FCP is set to use, and I don't want to abort to check, in case that leaves what it has done so far useless..
Machine doesn't feel weak for most things at least, but this is a 20 minute DV-project with Livetype-stuff, Motion-files and a lot of overlays of products and logos.

You say that its a 20 minute DV project, are the video clips imported in DV format. DV format is the fastest to render.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
You say that its a 20 minute DV project, are the video clips imported in DV format. DV format is the fastest to render.

There is no actual video-clips in the project. It's one huge panoramaimage in the background that pans during the 20 minutes, all the products and logos are psd-files, and the motion and livetype-files are just imported saves from those applications. The image in the background is a jpg.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
There is no actual video-clips in the project. It's one huge panoramaimage in the background that pans during the 20 minutes, all the products and logos are psd-files, and the motion and livetype-files are just imported saves from those applications. The image in the background is a jpg.

Try changing the playback quality to free up ram.

(taken from FCP help)

Still frames:

Still frames and imported graphics can also play back in real time. The number of still images that play back in real time depends on the size of the Still Cache set in the Memory & Cache tab of the System Settings window.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
There's definitely something wrong somewhere. Rendering out a DV timeline shouldn't take that long.

Are you using the "DV NTSC" Easy Setup in Final Cut?

When you said that you rendered the project first and then saw the "Writing Video" that confused me because when the timeline is rendering it shows the "Writing Video" dialog box. What dialog box was up during the first 8hrs you said the machine was rendering?

Are your Live Type and Motion projects setup correctly for NTSC DV?

How big are your PSD files? Large, layered image files can quickly drag an NLE to it's knees.

Lethal

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
There's definitely something wrong somewhere. Rendering out a DV timeline shouldn't take that long.

Are you using the "DV NTSC" Easy Setup in Final Cut?

When you said that you rendered the project first and then saw the "Writing Video" that confused me because when the timeline is rendering it shows the "Writing Video" dialog box. What dialog box was up during the first 8hrs you said the machine was rendering?

Are your Live Type and Motion projects setup correctly for NTSC DV?

How big are your PSD files? Large, layered image files can quickly drag an NLE to it's knees.

Lethal
Hello, I'm probably just imagining that it said that it was rendering the first time. It does indeed say Writing video.. whenver i render. It did go to 100% several times though, which is what threw me off.
Anyway, I use DV PAL Anamorphic setup, as that is what I'm making the project for. LiveType I don't know, Motion was set to Pal broadcast, I don't really think those files are the big problem. I don't know, I'm leaning towards my machine just not being faster.
It is afterall an image panning in the background, Motion particle-effects like snow etc on top of that, products with motion(FCP-motion tab)-effects appearing in order, several logos in the corners.
I'm probably just doing something stupid, but it did turn out just how I wanted, so I'm kinda happy afterall. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.