Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adit

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Hi everyone... this is my first time posting on mac rumors so forgive me if their are any mistakes....

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me or if anyone is having the same problem as me... Since 16th Feb I have not been able to charge my ibook in sleep mode. Every time you put the ibook into sleep mode while the power cable is connected the ibook goes to sleep for a second or so and then wakes up again... If the screen is shut it just continuously keeps repeating the process...

I would be very grateful if anyone could advice me on what to do or recommend any diagnostic checks i should do to rectify the problem...

Thank you very much in advance.....

Adit

adit

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
yup.. it sleeps properly when the power cable is not attached...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, thank you... these are some quick, basic measures you can try to start with:

1) Reset the power management unit

2) If that doesn't work, you might also reset all the firmware

3) If those things don't work, then you have to explore either the possibility that there's some software on your iBook doing this (I think this is unlikely, but you can possibly explore this by creating a new account, and seeing if it does the same thing) or that you have a hardware problem.

adit

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
I tried all of the above methods and it did not make a difference. I dont know how i could test the hardware though.,,,

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I tried all of the above methods and it did not make a difference. I dont know how i could test the hardware though.,,,

You can boot off the restore DVD; then, when you get to the first dialog, you'll have a menu bar, and you can select the hardware test option from the menu, I believe.

adit

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Ok i will try that... let me go and dig out the restore DVD now... I really appreciate your help.. Will let you know if that resolves it...

Adit

adit

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
You can boot off the restore DVD; then, when you get to the first dialog, you'll have a menu bar, and you can select the hardware test option from the menu, I believe.

My restore disk for some reason is not given me the option. I followed the read me file for the hardware test but is not working... Might just take it to an apple shop....

Thanks for your help.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.