PDA

View Full Version : Which non-Apple phone?

CliveA
Feb 25, 2007, 01:32 PM
Hi.

Need to get a new phone that will sync up easily with my MacBook Pro.

I'm used to old-skool Nokias but have been told that Sony Ericssons work much better with Macs?

Is this right? Other priorities for me are durability and half-decent camera. Should I follow the shops' recommendation to get a K800i?

All advice gratefully received (including a tip as to whether there's a better forum on here for stuff about phones).

Thanks!

clevin
Feb 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
as long as it supports bluetooth, any phone would connect with mac easily.

cookie1105
Feb 25, 2007, 04:42 PM
you have to download extra drivers for iSync if you want to connect a Nokia N73.

lord patton
Feb 25, 2007, 07:03 PM
as long as it supports bluetooth, any phone would connect with mac easily.

That's not true.

You can search Apple's site for a list of officialy supported cell phones here (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html)

Sony Ericsson works well for me. In fact, I'm using the w300i (the 800's little brother) without problems, and I'm running iSync 1.5 on OS X 10.3.9. That phone isn't officially supported by this older version of iSync, but, I guess, since older Sony Ericsson's have worked with iSync for awhile, the newer ones do to.

Running 10.4 and iSync 2.3, you'll have many more choices. If iSync doesn't officially support the phone of your choice, you may be able to find a plug-in that does.

AlBDamned
Feb 25, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hi.

Need to get a new phone that will sync up easily with my MacBook Pro.

I'm used to old-skool Nokias but have been told that Sony Ericssons work much better with Macs?

Is this right? Other priorities for me are durability and half-decent camera. Should I follow the shops' recommendation to get a K800i?

All advice gratefully received (including a tip as to whether there's a better forum on here for stuff about phones).

Thanks!

Do you have any other prefs like a slider, flip or candybar design? What are you using at the moment?

IMHO, the K800i is v.nice. Only thing against it these days is it's not particularly new (not sure how much you "want the latest thing"), but still a quality phone especially if you can get it in the 007 silver model.

Others to look out for are the Nokia N95 - a 5MP cam, massive features list and released in March. Hopefully it'll live up to expectations.

The Nokia N73 is solid and a direct alternative to the K800i. Massive screen, excellent camera and the white model is really nice looking but again, it's not quite the cutting edge any more.

The Nokia N93i is a sleek new update to the N93. It's less bulky and looks to be better made than the original version which was made from uncharacteristically cheap plastic.

My current fave Sony Ericsson phones are the M600i and the W950i, but neither have cameras and I don't think they sync too well with Macs!