Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaikie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Hi All,

i just updated to 10.4 and then the 10.4.8 combo update for my intel machine. I find that my Comcast broadband modem keeps going out when I go to sleep mode or turn the machine off. I am not using a wireless airport or other hub, just ethernet from the modem to my machine.

When I reset the modem, I cannot use my browser, so I open network preferences, and find that the IP and Router address and are set to something incorrect- like "148......
instead of 68.....

I change the location to something else, hit apply, and then the correct IP address appears- until i go to sleep mode again. I find the location "Automatic" to be more unstable, so I named a permanent location.

Any ideas what is going on? This is a pain in the butt!

Jaikie

Jaikie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Actually, now I think it may be my splitter that is causing the problem. Connecting the cable directly to the modem without the splitter works fine and is stable.

I'm having other software troubles since updating to 10.4.8, but I think that I will simply wipe my drive and start over. Among other things, I can't print a pdf from the print dialog window anymore. It asks me for Adobe Acrobat direct, and then can;t find it, when it's there. MS Word no longer creates a PDF from within the program using the icon on the toobar. Firefox crashes upon opening, and if I print an online quiz in Safari, only the first page comes through.

None of these problems occur when I boot from my back-up drive. I need to get rid of the system 9 side anyways, as I never use it anymore, and it take up space. Right now, I'm using the system back up and it works PERFECTLY.

Comcast guy comes tomorrow, and we'll see about the splitter issue. I got a 4 way gold splitter with 7.5 db and it didn't work at all. Well, i want to watch TV so I have to sign off now!

Jaikie

Do you have a problem accessing the 'Net after sleep, or are you just futzing with your settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.