PDA

View Full Version : Any IRC gurus out there?

arn
Jun 1, 2003, 03:05 PM
Hey all...

are there any experienced IRC users out there?

arn

chibianh
Jun 1, 2003, 03:18 PM
why? what's up arn?

arn
Jun 1, 2003, 03:29 PM
well... there will be an IRC channel during WWDC, and may need some help... as well, tossing around some thoughts of a longer term IRC channel.

arn

wdlove
Jun 1, 2003, 03:31 PM
arn, since they say that the only stupid question is the one that wasn't ask! That is IRC? ;)

pivo6
Jun 1, 2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
arn, since they say that the only stupid question is the one that wasn't ask! That is IRC? ;)

Internet Relay Chat..I think

arn
Jun 1, 2003, 03:36 PM
Internet Relay Chat. We've had a live chat for the last few major Mac events to provide a place for people to chat during the event...

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html

maradong
Jun 1, 2003, 03:51 PM
well i got some experience with irc servers, and with irc itself, but hence only on linux ( debian on x86 ( packages might be called differently on ppc ) ) boxes.

bousozoku
Jun 3, 2003, 02:27 PM
I was an OP on an IRC channel for a few months.

alia
Jun 3, 2003, 02:57 PM
I started using IRC in 96 and used it regularly until about 2000. Haven't been up on the latest IRC stuff though. I haven't used ircle in years either. Is what the most popular IRC client is still? I'd definitely hang out in #macrumors though if you decided to make one Arn!

:D

Alia

joker2
Jun 3, 2003, 02:59 PM
Arn,

One suggestion I have is to put it on a network that isn't overtaxed as it is.

Two that I would put into the overtaxed category are EFnet and Undernet.

One of the ones that I use is Slashnet (www.slashnet.org irc.slashnet.org)

With a monitored (not sure if this is the correct term) IRC network (ones with services such as chanserv and nickserv) channels don't get "taken over" as easily as they do on ones that don't have it (i.e. EFnet).

Services take care of who has "operator" status in the channel, and if the channel is unattended (and therefore ceases to exist), the next time someone enters the channel it gets set back to the last topic and channel settings. That person does not have operator status unless they are on the list.

garzy
Jun 3, 2003, 03:17 PM
Im an op in a couple #macintoshes. I know a lot, but each network is different.

Knox
Jun 3, 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by arn
Hey all...

are there any experienced IRC users out there?

*raises hand* 6 or 7 years now, it worries me every time i work it out, although i actually can't remember exactly when i started, which is even more worrying :) During my time - op on 100+ user channel; oper on multiple networks (Galaxynet being the biggest); admin for years (for one of the MIT servers) etc etc

arn
Jun 3, 2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by shadow95

One suggestion I have is to put it on a network that isn't overtaxed as it is.

we're on a network that isn't very taxed at all... and yet should handle our size easily.

ChanServ services will be used.

I'll post channel details later. Thanks for the replies. I'll be in contact with you guys via email... :)

arn