PDA

View Full Version : net-snmp and Intel macs

foidulus
Feb 26, 2007, 11:54 AM
Hello,

At my office we use macs for everything, and we wrote a little web page that monitors the health of ours systems using snmp. Everything works fine on PPC macs, but we are starting to transition to intel macs and discovered that the version that comes with the macs does not have support for a lot of the MIBs we use. We tried downloading and compiling newer versions of snmp(up through snmp 5.4) however snmpd keeps on crashing with the following error:

/dev/kmem: no such file or directory

Does anyone have any experience with snmp and intel macs?

Thanks!

*EDIT* I stumbled upon a workaround that works for what I need it for, but might not work for everyone. If you run snmpd with the -r flag, it will run in non-root mode, which means it will not look for files such as /dev/kmem, however that also somewhat restricts the kind of info you can get from your system

djdawson
Feb 27, 2007, 09:22 AM
I'd look more at your snmpd.conf file and your installed MIBs rather than trying to install a new version of net-snmp. These can be a bit complex, but there's a lot of flexibility there and I'd expect most basic system MIB objects to be supported. I haven't messed much with snmpd on the Mac, but I have done quite a bit of SNMP stuff in the network space over the years and have found most such problems center around the actual MIB files rather than the agent software.

Good luck!