Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CliveA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
The contents of my G5 were recently migrated across to my new MBP C2D.

Since the move, my Photoshop CS2 works, but some functions are appearing as light, unclickable items in the dropdowns, including 'Save for Web' - the feature I use most of all!

Any ideas if I am doing something wrong? I was going to try re-installing today, but that didn't work as the installer program was asking for the serial number of my old OS9 Photoshop version which was upgraded a couple of years ago on the G5. That number wasn't easy to find today.

Any ideas?

CliveA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Yeah, checked that. Can't seem to reach 'Save for Web', even on images which are ready to go at RGB/8bits.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Save For Web happens to be implemented as a plugin. Is there any pattern like that to the broken menu items? Does it show up in the Photoshop About Plug-In… menu, and do you get the usual endless list of names whizzing past in the splash screen when PS launches?

CliveA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks iMeowbot.

I checked that plug-in list and you're right. I've only got four items, while my colleague (same edition of Photoshop on a G5 like my old one) has a huge list of plug-ins, including the elusive 'Save for Web'!

Is re-installation my only chance, or is there anything else I can do?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Oo. I understand that you're missing more plugins, but let's just track down the one to start.

In your Applications folder where Photoshop lives: what's in there, inside the Adobe Photoshop CS2 folder? Alongside Photoshop and ImageReady, there should be 5 or 6 folders including the Plug-Ins folder.

Inside plug-ins, there should be 10 or more so folders, and more folders deeper down. One of those should be called Adobe Photoshop Only, with 5 folders inside that one, and under there should be an Import/Export folder with Save for Web. Does that at all resemble what you see?

If everything looks like it should be there, you may want to make sure that whatever Photoshop icon you're launching is the correct copy of Photoshop. That is, do your menus look right if you launch Photoshop directly from inside the Applications folder?

If you still have the problems launching from there, it may be best to do a reinstall. You could try copying any missing files from another machine, but it's probable that ownership or something along those lines was messed up during the migration, and the Adobe installer will be able to put things right with less grief.

Another thing you may want to try, before major surgery, is to trash your Photoshop preferences. There may be some path silliness left over from changed volume names or something like that, but I wouldn't expect that to mess with the default plugin location (but things happen).

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Everything apart from Photoshop and Illustrator worked when I used Migration a few months ago. You need to reinstall from scratch with these two.

CliveA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Sorted!

In the end, we solved it by just copying the entire plug-ins folder (and another couple of missing folders) from my colleague's machine to mine.

Problem solved.

Thanks for help, everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.