Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
Hey guys, I am a university student making movies all the time. I am very limited as far as my access to technical equipment goes, but take a look and provide any feedback you would like. Tell me you hate it, tell me it sucks, tell me anything!

Anyway, this is a five minute short called 'Sheer Boredom'.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ulWrhvxHi_g

Thanks,

Takashmoney

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys, I am a university student making movies all the time. I am very limited as far as my access to technical equipment goes, but take a look and provide any feedback you would like. Tell me you hate it, tell me it sucks, tell me anything!

Anyway, this is a five minute short called 'Sheer Boredom'.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ulWrhvxHi_g

Thanks,

Takashmoney

Here's my comments:

- I liked the talking in the computer game... it looked real and seemed pretty well sync'ed to voices. I do wonder why the letterboxing between the game and the real life wasn't matched up.
- You used the zoom a couple of times, which I probably would have avoided. Better to have a cut to a close up in those cases. Perhaps you had a reason to do this but I didn't see it.
- When deciding on costumes, I thought the guy looking at the costumes should have shown more emotion to the ones he didn't like (rolling eyes, shaking head, etc.).
- For guys worried about being secretive, I would have thought they wouldn't have been talking in regular voices but in whispers (in the opening sequence).
- The audio needed some work, specifically, when they were in the apartment. I understand budget may be an issue but perhaps boosting the signal post production (if not introducing too much noise) or overdubbing would be in order. It was bad enough that I had to pause the movie and change my speaker volume.

I hope you see this as constructive criticism. I enjoyed viewing it and would be happy to look at future videos (which should be taken as a positive thing). Keep 'em coming.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
Hey thanks for the responses guys!

I agree with most of the criticisms made. Our audio quality is terrible, but we are now in the process of rigging up a much better boom mic system which will hopefully alleviate all the mechanical noise created by the in-camera microphone.

As far as the letterbox switching... that had to do with making sure the halo gun was cut out the frame but not removing too much footage from the real life shots (we shot in full frame and added letterbox in post production).

And finally I totally agree about having some reaction shots during the costume scene. In the original we had some great reactionary scenes from Alex (the planner) but we ultimately had to scrap them in order to make the 5 minute maximum constraint.

Anyway, I just want to thank everyone for taking the time and watching that short, and even more importantly, for taking the time to post a response to help a young filmmaker improve. We are in production for another short and will post whenever that is completed. Thanks Again!

-- TaKashMoney

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.