Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djkiter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Hi! I just picked up an M-Audio Firewire 410 for my Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D 2Gb and so far it has not given me any problems. I am however, a bit confused on how to properly power it up/down and what to do when I put the MBP to sleep. I don't want to fry my firewire ports on either unit. :eek:

So what's the proper way of powering down the 410 when going in to sleep mode? For now I first close the lid, wait for the sleep light, then hit the power on the 410. It would be really be annoying if I had to shut down the MBP each time I wanted to power down the 410 but if it meant protecting my gear I guess I'd have no choice. I'd also like to know the proper way of powering it up when the MBP is in sleep mode. Do I power up the 410 then wake the computer? :confused:

Any other 410 users out there who can help?

djkiter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Can anyone with a 410 care to share what the proper steps are when turning it on/off? Pretty please?

-igor

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
everything has been agitating me lately, including this stupid interface. the light is way too bright and even when it's turned off it blinks and lights up the entire room. so what I do is just turn off the computer and unplug the firewire cord out of the interface. I just started using the power supply for it simultaneously because it reduces noise so now I have to unplug that too. this light, however, is not the only reason I unplug ita as it also emits quite a bit of noise on its own wen it's off. I hate how I have a problem with everything when I buy it.

maldoblaz

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
Mexico City
Just follow the following simple steps:

Turning on your system:

a) make sure your speakers are OFF!!

b) with the computer off and any other firewire disks or devices off, plug your firewire cable from the computer to the 410. If you have other Firewire devices, make sure your 410 is the first to be connected and then connect others to the second Firewire port on the 410. Use a firewire hub is highly recomended

c) turn on the 410 and then other firewire devices

d) power up your computer

e) NEVER plug or unplug any firewire device as you will hear a loud sound if you do so.

f) run the M-AUDIO firewire software to make sure your 410 was fully recognized

g) turn your speakers on

Turning off your system:

h) turn your speakers off

i) turn your computer off

j) turn your 410 off and then other firewire devices, you will see the on LED blinking, no problem

k) unplug the firewire cable

any problems? first turn your speakers off and then find out what the problem is

set your computer to never sleep, sometimes at wake up the 410 is not recognized back and it will make a loud sound when something goes wrong

I hope these helps.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
I've used a FW410 when recording on location, and just plug it in/unplug when the laptop is in sleep.

maldoblaz

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
Mexico City
It's of general knowledge that Firewire devices are plug and play but the fact is that they are not.

The reason is that there is voltage on the 6 pin connector ( not on the 4 pin connector ) and when you connect two devices which are on, the connection is energized and this is not good for any electronic circuit.

When connecting a Firewire device to another, first turn off both devices and then turn them on. I've seen several PB's with fried Firewire ports and the same may happen to any computer or firewire device.

The best way to avoid damage to delicate equipment is to buy a Firewire hub. I've personally killed three of them as the electrical shock happens there. I rather buy a new firewire hub, than buying a new computer, HD or A/V interfase. It is VERY expensive to repair a Firewire port and sometimes impossible to fix.

Salasm

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
surrounded by mods
everything has been agitating me lately, including this stupid interface. the light is way too bright and even when it's turned off it blinks and lights up the entire room. so what I do is just turn off the computer and unplug the firewire cord out of the interface. I just started using the power supply for it simultaneously because it reduces noise so now I have to unplug that too. this light, however, is not the only reason I unplug ita as it also emits quite a bit of noise on its own wen it's off. I hate how I have a problem with everything when I buy it.

idiot tech support blames the ****-**** led light on apple's firewire port.

"Unfortunately this as to do with the way Apple built their Firewire ports. They keep powering the unit even after you shut down your computer. The only way to get the light to turn off would be to unplug your computer completely. It is actually recommended to completely power your apple computer when plugging/unplugging the firewire devices."

i shouldve told him it wasnt even ****ing plugged into the mac.

cahen

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2007
FIREWIRE 410 ok on macbook intel

410 will work intel 10.4.9 ?
is there any equalizer?

Infact, it seems to me after many hassles theat it's the only machine on which it works properly.
It can even be plugged owhen the machine is on and without any external supply.

WOW!
Firewire at last !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.