PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook 15inch in June?

MacRumors
Jun 2, 2003, 12:06 AM
Kodawarisan (http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/) claims that the revised 15" PowerBook G4 will be released at a special event in June.

Death2PCs
Jun 2, 2003, 12:19 AM
could this be the PPC970?

freundt
Jun 2, 2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Death2PCs
could this be the PPC970?

If you note it says power book G4...but seriously.. will they release yet another 1 GHZ G4 powerbook? Gods, I hope not....

Ajohn
Jun 2, 2003, 01:05 AM
Is it just me or have we had these "15-inch Al Powerbook in three weeks" rumors since MWSF? I believed them until about March. Now I'm hoping to get my new laptop sometime before Christmas.

NavyIntel007
Jun 2, 2003, 01:27 AM
We've been hearing 15" pb updates since february. Now we're at the point where all three need to be updated. COME ON APPLE!!!

neutrino23
Jun 2, 2003, 01:31 AM
For what it's worth, he says middle of June. If Apple is true to form and goes for a Tuesday that would point to June 17.

artificiallife
Jun 2, 2003, 02:03 AM
Why is nobody thinking of WWDC as the special event? I mean, how many special events can they have in the same month?

jholzner
Jun 2, 2003, 02:20 AM
Maybe they are going to update all powerbooks at the same time and give them 970's. Plus, update the powermac line with 970's as well. Wishful thinking I know but where else is apple supposed to go with their laptop line up? I'm no sure but can they even handle a higher mhz G4 chip due to heat issues?

nagromme
Jun 2, 2003, 02:29 AM
I'm betting on all PowerBooks getting updated together:

12" 1 GHz

15" 1 Ghz and 1.4 (or whatever is next)

17" 1.4

Then, afterwards, 970 PowerMacs, leaving 970 PowerBooks for the next revision after this one. At which point the iBook could go to G4 while iMac/eMac keep getting higher MHz.

jholzner
Jun 2, 2003, 04:06 AM
Well, Apple early this morning lowered the prices on their 12" and 15" power books...maybe that's a sign...see the thread I started here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28336).

luke_s
Jun 2, 2003, 04:19 AM
come on
you aren't really speculating about this "rumor"???? every month someone different says: "15" PB update scheduled next month" someday someone will be right about this........
then someone says: there will be 8 970 CPUs in it and you scream "wow cool make it 10 apple". btw. what do you people want to do with your powerbooks with 1.4 ghz? heating up your apartment?

maradong
Jun 2, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by luke_s
come on
you aren't really speculating about this "rumor"???? every month someone different says: "15" PB update scheduled next month" someday someone will be right about this........
then someone says: there will be 8 970 CPUs in it and you scream "wow cool make it 10 apple". btw. what do you people want to do with your powerbooks with 1.4 ghz? heating up your apartment?
hope is the last thing that dies my friend :D

pyrotoaster
Jun 2, 2003, 06:48 AM
G4 Powerbook in three weeks! Ha!

This PB revision is becoming like the last iPod revision back in February (next Tuesday! No, wait... next Tuesday!).

We've been waiting so long that I figure Apple is just going to release a Powerbook 970 at WWDC. Why else would we be waiting so long?

e2chris
Jun 2, 2003, 07:31 AM
Anyone see that they lowered some of the prices of the laptops... I cant remember what the 15'' was priced at but the 12'' came down $200 for both models.

erova
Jun 2, 2003, 07:57 AM
sho nuff. sounds like clearing the product stream for a june release to me.

i like the idea of an updated 12 as well, instead of just updating the 15.

chazmox
Jun 2, 2003, 08:08 AM
Ahhh.... another month, another 15 inch PB rumor! Somebody is bound to finally get it right... Probably the best indicator is the current lower prices on the 12 and 15 inch - $200 is a big drop, esp. for the 12 inch...

Then again maybe they'll just discontinue the 15 inch and all the rumor sites will be wrong!!!

( I don't believe that but it is the only way to confound EVERYONE... )

jxyama
Jun 2, 2003, 08:21 AM
on his site, Kodawarisan reported in May that the delay in the new Al 15" could be due to SARS in Taiwan. he noted it on May 21st...

he also noted on the 13th that the new 15" will be G4/1 GHz with FW 800 and backlit keyboard, making the difference between 15" and 17" just the screen size.

on a completely different note, his friend took apart the new iPod.

link here: scroll toward the bottom. click on pictures to enlarge. (http://www.suyama.jp/)

he also attempted to swap the 5 gb (old) and 30 gb (new) HDs. pretty funny.

makkystyle
Jun 2, 2003, 11:35 AM
I'm not too excited about the PB just getting FW800 and a backlit keyboard. Although this would make sense if the 15 is the only PB that would get updated because there is no way that the 15 inch could get a higher spec chip than the 17!!!

It does seem really odd though that Apple has waited so long to release the 15 inch AlBook. There must be something up.

BenRoethig
Jun 2, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by makkystyle
I'm not too excited about the PB just getting FW800 and a backlit keyboard. Although this would make sense if the 15 is the only PB that would get updated because there is no way that the 15 inch could get a higher spec chip than the 17!!!

It does seem really odd though that Apple has waited so long to release the 15 inch AlBook. There must be something up.

There's not a lot Apple can do with the 15" PB at the moment. They could change to an brushed aluminum case with a 15.4" screen, add PC2700 memory, airport extreme, bluetooth, a backlit keyboard, FW800 port, and either a GeForce FX Go 5200/5600 or a Radeon Mobility 9200/9600. The 1ghz G4 is the fastest Motorola chip that Apple could put in there. The Powerbook line needs a new processor a.s.a.p. When it comes to non-altivec applications, the iBooks have almost reached parity with the Powerbooks..

ZildjianKX
Jun 2, 2003, 12:18 PM
Don't forget USB 2.0 :)

Do we know for sure 1 Ghz is the fasted G4 that can go in the powerbook?

freundt
Jun 2, 2003, 12:20 PM
I say we revolt if apple comes out with a "new" 1ghz g4 15" powerbook. I would say we storm the castle, but we have to beware of the infinite loop trap... :p

Sun Baked
Jun 2, 2003, 12:38 PM
Hey nobody liked the -- Apple delayed the death of OS 9 until June, so the legacy machines scattered throughout the lineup are most likely a marketing decision to keep OS 9 machines around until June -- answer.

Even though there is that marketing decision Apple could have released replacements early or late, and centered around June.

---

Since the above answers didn't fit in with their view of the world, there have been rampant rumors -- then the 970 rumors started. :rolleyes:

---

If you don't like the above OS9 delay answer, you're really not going to like...

Hey, it looks like Apple is getting ready to EOL the last of the iMac/PowerBook/PowerMac legacy machines that boot OS 9, sorry the new machines will just be speedbumped machines.

But hey you might get FW800 in the DDR iMac and USB 2 in the Rev B PowerMac.

As for the PowerMac 970s, try Christmas* :eek:

* Told you that you wouldn't like it, it's just a possibility that will reveal itself and/or get buried in reality soon -- June/July.

And no --- the last part is not a guess, speculation or whatnot -- just another possibe way in which events could unfold. ;)

job
Jun 2, 2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
And no --- the last part is not a guess, speculation or whatnot -- just another possibe way in which events could unfold. ;)

Do you know something we don't? ;)

ZildjianKX
Jun 2, 2003, 01:04 PM
Not to go offtopic... but Sun Baked... your website link is probably the cruelest and most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. :(

MacBandit
Jun 2, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Not to go offtopic... but Sun Baked... your website link is probably the cruelest and most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. :(

At first I was like what the hell is this then I saw they were making a meal and that made it a lot better. People have to realize that cats and dogs are just animals like cows and chickens. People eat them.

ON TOPIC.

If the 970 is even going to be used by Apple I don't think it will be released by Aple until Fall or December. When was the last time Apple released something simultaneously or even close to the date it was made available to them. They are usually 6months to a year behind.

ZildjianKX
Jun 2, 2003, 01:27 PM
It was a kitten though...

MacBandit
Jun 2, 2003, 01:30 PM
It was a kitten though...

People eat veal. Besides killing an animal is killing an animal. What difference does the age make.

jxyama
Jun 2, 2003, 01:38 PM
[OFFTOPIC]
i remember koreans got a bit upset because prior to the world cup, they heard some protests about their dog eating habit...

i agree with the sentiment that it's rather hypocritical to eat some animals and criticise others for eating other kinds of animals. of course, this doesn't hold for someone who's a vegetarian... but fifa (soccer organization, dominated by european influence) did criticise korea while saying nothing about cow/chicken/pork/etc. eating habits of others.

in the case of koreans, however, some of them treat dogs cruely before cooking because they believe it makes dogs taste better. THAT is wrong.
[\OFFTOPIC]

ZildjianKX
Jun 2, 2003, 01:42 PM
Off Topic...

I'm vegetarian... soo... but still, they couldn't wait until it was an adult? Not to start a flame war... but where do people think SARS came from?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/05/23/hk.sars.cat/

rjerje
Jun 2, 2003, 02:01 PM
The price cut today establishes a (barely) respectable interval between now and the WWDC, if (as I expect) Apple intends to announce new 15" Powerbooks then. My guess is that that will happen (@ 1.4 GHz), that the other two models will get a speed bump and that 970's are down the road six months at least.

freundt
Jun 2, 2003, 02:07 PM
ok,

All the talk has finally crushed my hopes. I agree concur.. no 970's in the next powerbook revision. It doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm lost.

And I can't find my way home.

_f

MacBandit
Jun 2, 2003, 02:17 PM
Off Topic...

I'm vegetarian... soo... but still, they couldn't wait until it was an adult? Not to start a flame war... but where do people think SARS came from?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/05/23/hk.sars.cat/

Well I would never eat a cat personally because I do consider them a particularly dirty animal when it comes to diseases and stuff they carry. On the other hand I am sure I have eaten dog at one time or another and I have eaten horse knowingly.

I don't have anything against vegetarians just thouse that try to push it on others. It's one thing to educate it's quite another to shove down ones throat(no pun intended). I grew up with Adventists and know very well what it is to be a vegetarian but I choose not to because I see it as very difficult to get proper nutrition as a vegetarian. It's a total balancing act. In any case I still don't see the difference in eating or killing a baby animal or a full grown one. Like I said killing is killing.

Sorry to take this off topic more.

visor
Jun 2, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Kodawarisan (http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/) claims that the revised 15" PowerBook G4 will be released at a special event in June.

Why would anyone make a special event for such old technics?

A special event implies that there is something special, new, exiting, yet completely unknown to be presented.

A new 15"G4... who cares?

MacBandit
Jun 2, 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by visor

A special event implies that there is something special, new, exiting, yet completely unknown to be presented.

A special event doesn't mean a Macworld. It just means a press event which Apple does for every announcement except for minor price drops.

Besides the 15" G4 though old is still one of the best laptops made.

ZildjianKX
Jun 2, 2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by visor

Well, I guess the best they could do with a G4 is:

-Improved 15.4" screen
-Backlit keyboard
-Bluetooth and Airport Xtreme
-Faster processor, higher FSB and DDR RAM
-Faster hard drives...

That's about all they can do...

Edit- And new Aluminum case :)

hofman
Jun 2, 2003, 02:53 PM
I am quite sure that the new PowerBook 15" will be released tomorrow, tuesday. I can just feel it ;)

We have waited and waited. Tomorrow must be the day :)

maradong
Jun 2, 2003, 03:03 PM
well i dunno where you are living, but for me tomorrow is wed... not thu

illumin8
Jun 2, 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by hofman
I am quite sure that the new PowerBook 15" will be released tomorrow, tuesday. I can just feel it ;)
This is highly unlikely. Think about it, why would the drop the price on the TiBooks Monday, just to release the brand new AlBooks Tuesday? Can you imagine how many pissed off customers might have bought the TiBook the day before once the price dropped?

I thought last week's 15" PB update might have been the last opportunity they have to do it before WWDC.

a6rnh
Jun 2, 2003, 04:42 PM
jonathan ive has just won designer of the century here in britain, wow, is he really that good?

on the actual subject of 15AI PB-come on apple , just release the thing, we all know you've got them ready to go, it's really not a big secret anymore!!! my money is burning a hole in my bank account...

elo
Jun 2, 2003, 04:46 PM
That's the thing -- the price drop, nice as it is, spells a longer wait. Unless Apple clearly billed the drop as a model closeout sale (a strategy the company never uses), people would feel like they had been tricked.

My guess is that there were still too many of these in the channel and it's going to wait a few weeks minimum before making another move.

elo

WasteGate
Jun 2, 2003, 05:22 PM
OMG.....here comes another Tuesday :rolleyes:

Six
Jun 2, 2003, 05:49 PM
all i know is that the updated 15" should get DDR ram.. its still stuck at SDRAM, while the 12 and 17's are ahead. A backlit keyboard would be nice, and maybe a lil processor bump? otherwise im good to buy a 15 inch right before i go to college in august

hacurio1
Jun 2, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Six
all i know is that the updated 15" should get DDR ram.. its still stuck at SDRAM, while the 12 and 17's are ahead. A backlit keyboard would be nice, and maybe a lil processor bump? otherwise im good to buy a 15 inch right before i go to college in august

Same here, and I agree with others that the new PB will have G4s, not 970s. I’m exited though, because I’ve herd that they will have the new G4s which are supposed to be at 1.33Ghz, run cooler, and use a lot less power causing a drastic improvement on battery life. I’ll keep daydreaming, because I really need a new portable for school. I hope the new 15” AluBooks rock.

DrGonzo
Jun 2, 2003, 08:03 PM
At this point, they just need to release SOMETHING be it 970 or g4 or whatever, update it, release a roadmap, something, just do it! I want a new laptop now!

elpinchegringo
Jun 3, 2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by DrGonzo
At this point, they just need to release SOMETHING be it 970 or g4 or whatever, update it, release a roadmap, something, just do it! I want a new laptop now!

Seriously! I'm starting med school in the fall and I want a laptop now! The 12" is too small, and the 17" is too big. I'd be happy with the current 15" if I didn't already know it was a step behind its siblings.

On the other hand, the 12" with superdrive for $1699 and the $200 rebate on the iPod sound good if they don't release the 15" on time.

MacFan26
Jun 3, 2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Six
otherwise im good to buy a 15 inch right before i go to college in august

I'm going to college too in August, and I convinced my parents to let me get a new powerbook, which is why I'm also anxious to find out how Apple is going to update their laptops before next fall. And I want to work at Apple when I grow up too! lol :)

wwworry
Jun 3, 2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
If the 970 is even going to be used by Apple I don't think it will be released by Aple until Fall or December. When was the last time Apple released something simultaneously or even close to the date it was made available to them. They are usually 6months to a year behind.

Do we know when it was/will be made available to them?

Panther
Jun 3, 2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by rjerje
The price cut today establishes a (barely) respectable interval between now and the WWDC, if (as I expect) Apple intends to announce new 15" Powerbooks then. My guess is that that will happen (@ 1.4 GHz), that the other two models will get a speed bump and that 970's are down the road six months at least. On the other hand, if they announce any 970 in anything, then the writing will be on the wall, and they better shift everything over pretty quickly.

If the 970 really is that much better than the G4 even at the same clockspeed (as MacBidouille would have us believe) then why would anyone buy a G4 at that point?

In a similar vein, if they announce 10.3 (Panther) at WWDC -- "...its 64-bit!!!", and announce the 970 "...its 64-bit too!!!" and in the same breath announce a bunch of G4 PowerBook upgrades, I don't think thats going to fly. Likewise I don't see them introducing a 15" G4 PB before WWDC then effectively obsoleting it three weeks later!

Sun Baked
Jun 3, 2003, 07:55 AM
Note: Rev 2.1 aka Rev C is the 7455A in most fast G4s.

If the XC7455BRX1400PF (http://www.macbidouille.com/news/photonews13/7455bzoom.jpg) used is a 7455B (Rev 3.3 aka Rev F) chip and running in the high end PowerMac. Looks like Moto will have the darn thing available for mass order, basically now.
Effective Date June 19, 2003 (http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/PCN8661.htm) ;)

Motorola is pleased to announce the new mask revisions for the 7455 and 7445 product families. The new mask revisions, Z93L64M AND Z83L64M, are fabricated at MOS13, a Motorola fabrication facility in Austin, Texas. Production shipment using this new mask will begin in June, 2003.

The Z93L64M AND Z83L64M mask revisions (Rev F XC7455A/XC7445A, i.e XC7455ARX1000LF) are designed to replace the Z91L96C (Rev C, i.e. XPC7455RX1000LC and XPC7455RX800NC) mask revision. The XPC7455/XPC7445 Rev C device, Z91L96C, will be phased out beginning June, 2003 and will no longer be produced.But this may also mean, speed bump... soon...

Like after June 19th...

[edit - took me a couple tries :( ]

Eric-C
Jun 3, 2003, 10:08 AM
Disclaimer: I apologize if this point has been brought up already.

To me, the statement

Kodawarisan claims that the revised 15" PowerBook G4 will be released at a special event in June.

doesn't necessarily imply that it will have a G4 in it. I think the intention was that the line of 15" Powerbook G4 will be revised, meaning that the revision will replace that line. I thought we were fairly sure that the screen would be 15.4" as well. Of course, I'm not trying to give any credence to the 970 rumor, but I don't think this statement necessarily attempts to disprove it altogether.

eyeluvmyimac
Jun 3, 2003, 10:53 AM
At this point I'll take anything as an update. I'd like to see everything mentioned above, but I just need a laptop. Move-in day is only 25 days away on June 28th. Classes begin the 30th. I'm doing summer session and I need a laptop....hurry up apple!!!

MacBandit
Jun 3, 2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by wwworry
Do we know when it was/will be made available to them?

From what I've read I don't remember if it's simply rumor or if it was a statement from IBM they went into full production and had product available in the last 3 weeks.

DrGonzo
Jun 3, 2003, 12:38 PM
If Wristers claims can be taken a face value, Motorola's implementation of low-k dielectrics, with its implications for major power consumption reductions, make it a strong contender for PowerBook - and possibly iBook - processors going forward. Curiously, Motorola's announcement that 0.13 micron parts with low-k dielectrics will appear within weeks comes not only just ahead of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), but hot on the heels of major price cuts on Apple's 12in and 15in PowerBook models. Price cuts are typically a signal that models are to be refreshed.

Maybe we'll see these chips in the new powerbooks? I think this is what Sun Baked is talking about. So, well see as always i'm anxious...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/30993.html

Panther
Jun 3, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
At this point I'll take anything as an update. I'd like to see everything mentioned above, but I just need a laptop. Move-in day is only 25 days away on June 28th. Classes begin the 30th. I'm doing summer session and I need a laptop....hurry up apple!!! Well, if the MWSF experience with the 17" is anything to go by, an announcement of a 15" 970 PB at WWDC doesn't necessary translate into "immediate availability".

FWIW, I've been waiting patiently for the 15" since the 12/17 AlBooks first came out... "Poor Goldilocks... the 12" was too little... The 17" was too big... but the 15" was *just right*" :)

Dr.DODO
Jun 4, 2003, 11:00 AM
Just for your information, more complete translation of posted information on Kodawarisan.

15-inch PowerBook G4 Introduction?
Apple is planning to introduce new Aluminum cased 15-inch PowerBook G4 by the middle of this month.
According to the source(s), Special Event is planned for the new 15-inch PowerBook G4 announcement.

Past “rumors” for the announcement of new 15-inch PowerBook on this site did not materialize. They also posted a “rumor” linking SARS in Asia as a reason for the delay in introduction of the new 15”PB.

To be fair, Kodawarisan does not list these “information” as rumors. They post the news passively as FYI to the user group.

As for me, I had to purchase 15” last week for a trip to Japan. I came back Monday night and there it was, a news about price drop. I guess you can’t wing at this game.

jxyama
Jun 4, 2003, 01:49 PM
Dr.DODO,
if your PB is still within 10days of purchase, go ask about price matching!!

MattG
Jun 4, 2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Dr.DODO
Just for your information, more complete translation of posted information on Kodawarisan.

15-inch PowerBook G4 Introduction?
Apple is planning to introduce new Aluminum cased 15-inch PowerBook G4 by the middle of this month.
According to the source(s), Special Event is planned for the new 15-inch PowerBook G4 announcement.

God PLEASE let it be next week!
I'm dying without my 'book :(

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 4, 2003, 07:51 PM
I would not be surprised for apple to say here is the new powermac 970 and powerbook 15" 970 in late june. patience is a big virtue in the mac world.

MacBandit
Jun 4, 2003, 07:55 PM
I'm really thinking the announcement will come just after Fathers Day weekend. It's just a very strong huntch. Also I'm expecting either faster 7455s or the next revission of the G4 beyond it. I really really don't expect to see PPC970s. If IBM had PPC970s to give Apple then they would have announced that there production had started succesfully and ahead of schedule. Both parts of that announcement would give them a boost in stock and especially the early part. If they wait to make a simultaneous announcement with Apple then they will most likely lose the shock of an early announcement.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 4, 2003, 08:11 PM
Hey macbandit, i think your wrong and that another g4 powermac isnt going to help Apple much. Seems like IBM was spilling the beans everywhere then suddenly got very quiet about the 970. Reminds me of motorola and the g4. I think this is part of the deal when Apple agrees to buy massive quantities. Anyways we will know by the end of this month. Either shiney new 970 powermacs to come or more overclocked motorola g4's with 2 chips in them. Why the hunch of more motorola?

Sun Baked
Jun 4, 2003, 09:22 PM
The news about the 970 has been "odd" lots of stuff about it, but when the fluffly feel good rumors have been boiled away -- there really hasn't been any rumor of depth about the darn thing, just the news IBM dropped...

People say the 970 is going to be in "everything"...

Then there comes a rumor of a new G4 cube and/or monitorless low-end machine.

People say they looked at the new 970 machine, benchmarked it, and looked at the block diagram. Yet they report on the ports instead, nothing of any real meaning.

The 970 are in production, sitting in warehouses, etc. Yet no machines weeks and months later.

---

More real news coming from Motorola, which is really odd -- and we all missed it because everyone has been focused on the 970. :rolleyes:

MacBandit
Jun 5, 2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Hey macbandit, i think your wrong and that another g4 powermac isnt going to help Apple much. Seems like IBM was spilling the beans everywhere then suddenly got very quiet about the 970. Reminds me of motorola and the g4. I think this is part of the deal when Apple agrees to buy massive quantities. Anyways we will know by the end of this month. Either shiney new 970 powermacs to come or more overclocked motorola g4's with 2 chips in them. Why the hunch of more motorola?

Well my hunch is based on that there is news from Motorola of success with their new G4 and no news from IBM. The deal with Motorola and Apple never kept them quiet about success in production on processors it just kept them quiet on the deal between them and Apple (i.e. what processors they were buying and how many).

Also I meant to say the announcement after Fathers day would be for the 15" latptop and a revission to the other laptops. I'm just guessing here about the timing but so many other large companies run sales and release new product around Fathers day that it just seems to synch up with a middle of the month release.

Also please don't take me wrong but please give the overclocking thing a rest. If Motorola stamps it at the certified clock rate it's not overclocked it's just that they had more success in production yields and a possible new discovery and changer there for in the production giving them better and higher rated yields then their initial predictions.

NicoMan
Jun 5, 2003, 04:03 AM
I'm really thinking the announcement will come just after Fathers Day weekend. It's just a very strong huntch. Also I'm expecting either faster 7455s or the next revission of the G4 beyond it. I really really don't expect to see PPC970s. If IBM had PPC970s to give Apple then they would have announced that there production had started succesfully and ahead of schedule. Both parts of that announcement would give them a boost in stock and especially the early part. If they wait to make a simultaneous announcement with Apple then they will most likely lose the shock of an early announcement.

I don't know about the timing, but I'll have to agree with the 'no 970 in the 15" just yet' theory. I think there are too many design issues with a new processor and a new chipset (by the way everyone seems to be forgetting the chipset and its power consumption) to throw it in a laptop just yet. I can see, on the other hand, some early 7457s in the 15" and probably some 7547s in the 12" (which looks like to be revved up soon too) to solve power dissipation issues (something that's not that much of a problem in the 17").

NicoMan

MattG
Jun 5, 2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
At this point I'll take anything as an update. I'd like to see everything mentioned above, but I just need a laptop. Move-in day is only 25 days away on June 28th. Classes begin the 30th. I'm doing summer session and I need a laptop....hurry up apple!!!

Yeah no kidding...At the college I work at, I'm supposed to be doing a Photoshop presentation to a bunch of 16-18 year olds on the 24th (the day after the day the new Powerbooks could very likely be announced on). It'd be nice to do it on a new Powerbook instead of one of the school's Dells :(

Guess I could drag in my iMac if I got really desperate huh?

Golem
Jun 5, 2003, 09:21 AM
Three Possibilities. The first is the 15'' would simply be turned into a albook. Say no backlighting but otherwise same feature set as a 17''. No special event just a pr release and their it is. But i would have expected and have been waiting for for it to turn up, But it hasnt and the increasing length of time since it was originally released at 1GHZ means it becomes absurd to release a machine that is no faster than its predecessor 8 months after introduction.

Next is the same as above but a rev to 1.1-1.2Ghz with 12'' going to 1Ghz and 17'' same as 15''. Definitily worth a special event but breaking the no hardware rule at WWDC? Unlikely.
Considering the price drops 1 week-1 month after WWDC.

Third is the long shot WWDC+10.3+ some sort of 970 based macs. But powerbooks being first seems unlikely to me.

MattG
Jun 5, 2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Golem
Three Possibilities. The first is the 15'' would simply be turned into a albook. Say no backlighting but otherwise same feature set as a 17''. No special event just a pr release and their it is. But i would have expected and have been waiting for for it to turn up, But it hasnt and the increasing length of time since it was originally released at 1GHZ means it becomes absurd to release a machine that is no faster than its predecessor 8 months after introduction.

Next is the same as above but a rev to 1.1-1.2Ghz with 12'' going to 1Ghz and 17'' same as 15''. Definitily worth a special event but breaking the no hardware rule at WWDC? Unlikely.
Considering the price drops 1 week-1 month after WWDC.

Third is the long shot WWDC+10.3+ some sort of 970 based macs. But powerbooks being first seems unlikely to me.

I really don't even care that much about the new processors. I mean hey, more speed is certainly welcome, but I was happy with my 667mhz Powerbook doing the stuff I used it for. If they put a 1ghz processor in there, that would be plenty for me.

I just want the aluminum. Ok and the backlighting. And a better keyboard (more solid feeling, less flimsly--like the one on the 12" Al). :)

a6rnh
Jun 5, 2003, 03:46 PM
yawn....come on, we all know these machines are ready to go, apple- just the release the things!!!! you are going to make lotsa dough from this so get them out of the warehouses and into the stores NOW!! this is becoming a joke...i will be buying one on the day of release and may even receive it before xmas!

joy!

MacBandit
Jun 5, 2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by MattG
..................And a better keyboard (more solid feeling, less flimsly--like the one on the 12" Al). :)

I thought the 12" and 17" both had solid mounted keyboards.

MattG
Jun 6, 2003, 05:29 AM
I thought the 12" and 17" both had solid mounted keyboards.

Yes, that's what I mean. I hope the new 15" PBs have solid mounted keyboards like the 12" and 17".