Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blurg

May 3, 2005
"Parental control... that's the first time that's been done."

Oh, I guess the Parental Controls in Tiger don't really exist... it's been my imagination this whole time :rolleyes:

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I didn't know people were interested in VISTA or Bill Gates' BS. He and his sidekick have to be the worst communicators ever. I can't stand watching and/or listening to the endless drivel that spews from there empty heads. And no I didn't watch the clip, I have better things to do, like use my Mac.

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
hey this is kinda off topic but...

have you guys seen how vista does voice recognition? It seems like the only thing that trumps OS X. My friend showed it off today and i was impressed with how EVERYTHING is ready to use the speech recognition. Also if you dont know a command, you can say a command and a number will come up next to every single selection that you could do with a mouse... also speech to text was built into vista it seemed like. I only saw it for a few seconds...but it seemed way better than OS X...i was surprised... but maybe i just dont know the full power of OS X.

anyway, has anything been said about Leopard and improved voice recog? Not that it is super useful, i would still like to know.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Also if you dont know a command, you can say a command and a number will come up next to every single selection that you could do with a mouse... also speech to text was built into vista it seemed like. I only saw it for a few seconds...but it seemed way better than OS X...i was surprised... but maybe i just dont know the full power of OS X.

anyway, has anything been said about Leopard and improved voice recog? Not that it is super useful, i would still like to know.

-kakkoiimac

I have messed with Vista's Voice Recog and indeed you are correct, it is impressive, especially since it's not an add-on like it is for Mac (iSpeech $$).

But you also made an excellen second point. the usefulness of voice recog is limited. This is probably why Apple hasn't developed anything more with it since about 1995.

I'll be watching Vista on this just in case we're ready for such a thing, but I'm not holding my breath that voice recog in Vista is going to prove to be anything more than a novelty.

EDIT: To avoid being a hypocrite, I do use voice recognition at home every day as I use it to control my lighting. So yes, I finally found a use for OSX's voice recog! So maybe there is hope for the idea after all.

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
thanks for the reply. I was wonder what lighting you use your voice recog. for? like the brightness of your display or what? About the only thing that i used it for was to show off my macbook...and i guess macs are still the only computers that will tell jokes:rolleyes:

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-kakkoiimac

I use it to control a few Fans, a humidifier and the brightness of my living room and office lights.

Started using voice control as an experiment, but became so effective, I don't use the remotes anymore.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
-kakkoiimac

I use it to control a few Fans, a humidifier and the brightness of my living room and office lights.

Started using voice control as an experiment, but became so effective, I don't use the remotes anymore.

Sounds like Star Trekish. "Computer! Evening lights."

Let me know when you get it to make you an Earl Gray tea.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Sounds like Star Trekish. "Computer! Evening lights."

Let me know when you get it to make you an Earl Gray tea.

-DavidLeblond

Heh. Yeah, a bit. You're right though, it is a bit Star Trekkish, but it works! But I address the computer as "Argos". So it's "Argos, Lights to three quarters" etc.

So! Back to subject. Interesting that Billy G. was on Capitol Hill extolling the virtues of expanding the H1b Visa program after all of the CS people he drove from the field in the '90's with all of the anticompetitive practices of his...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.