Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
This is messed up.

I have the Pantone Solid Coated library open in Illustrator (CS2) with the Find field activated. There are some colors, however, that cannot be found. I can manually scroll through and locate them, but they won't come up when I search. I seem to be able to do anything under 715, but when I search for 715, it takes me to 2715. It took me typing in 714 four times before it would take me to that swatch.

What is the deal? The other two designers in my department have the same issue, so it's not my computer. Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
Hmm first I believe the swatch library you have open is the Solid to Process- as 715 doesn't exist in process coated- but yup, same thing happens on my Illust. - I suppose its a flaw in that the find tool doesn't let you really type it all in, rather it just tries to complete the search for you. - 715, took me right to 2715- however, by searching one number less '714' it took me to the correct one.. and then i could grab the right swatch.

Rather funky.. but I guess just try searching for numbers right around what you really want?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Hmm first I believe the swatch library you have open is the Solid to Process- as 715 doesn't exist in process coated-
Nope...I have the Pantone SOLID Coated library open...
but yup, same thing happens on my Illust. - I suppose its a flaw in that the find tool doesn't let you really type it all in, rather it just tries to complete the search for you. - 715, took me right to 2715- however, by searching one number less '714' it took me to the correct one.. and then i could grab the right swatch.

Rather funky.. but I guess just try searching for numbers right around what you really want?
It's good to hear that I'm not alone on this one. There has to be a better answer though. :) Thanks for your reply.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
That is so annoying. I find that I have to type extremely fast to get to the right one. If it's a four-digit pantone, I have to coordinate my fingers on the keys ahead of time and hit them all really fast. The auto-find is really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.