PDA

View Full Version : bought an I-tunes song but can't use it

CommonMan
Feb 28, 2007, 02:18 PM
I have two computers and I have itunes on each computer. However, only one computer is connected to the internet (via high speed cable). My wife and I both have iPods so, we both wanted to have separate iTunes on separate computers so that I don't mess up her iTunes. I plug my iPod into the PC in the basement and she plugs hers into the iMac upstairs. Last night I purchased a song from iTunes store and downloaded it. So the song was downloaded to my wife's itunes. I copied the file onto my portable hard drive and transferred it to my itunes in the basement so I could put it on my ipod. To my chagrin, this plan failed because I could not "register" the song on my computer in the basement (it is not connected to the internet). So, is there anyway I can get around this? Apparently Apple only lets you play a purchased iTune file on one computer and one iPod, unless you register the song on the other computer. What a hassel!! What a rip-off. :mad: :confused:

swiftaw
Feb 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
You can play your song on up to 5 computers and an infinite number of ipods.

However, the 5 computers have to be authorized with the itunes account that bought the song, this probably means that it needs internet access.

BTW, you can have multiple itunes libraries on the same Mac, just hold down the option key while loading up itunes.

wordmunger
Feb 28, 2007, 02:25 PM
Once you've authorized that second computer, it's authorized for good, for all iTunes purchases on that account. You don't need internet access after that, even if you copy additional songs over later. Is there any way to run a temporary phone line to it or something, just to authorize it?

Otherwise, you'd need to burn a CD with the song on it, then upload to iTunes on that computer.

CommonMan
Mar 7, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yes, I can hook up the basement computer to the internet but it's kind of a hassel. Our iMac is connect to a high speed cable. I don't think I can splice off that. But, I can connect to the internet by activating Juno or some other free internet service. I've done the before. But you still have to put down a deposit on your credit card - even with Juno and AOL free trial. And then it's a real hassel to get your money back when you cancel.

If I only have to register the computer once, then it may be worth it.

The other idea of installing another iTunes on the upstairs iMac may be the way to go. I like this idea. We already have iTunes on that computer and, as stated earlier, i decided to do the separate iTunes on another computer so if and when something goes wrong with iTunes, my wife can't blame it on me. So, if I could have a separate iTunes on the iMac, that would be great but how. Do I go to apple downloads and download iTunes even though I already have itunes on that computer? I'm not sure I understand when I am supposed to "hold down the control key." Another concern is memory. Having 2 iTunes on one computer could really start to consume some serious memory,no? Although, I could rig up my itunes to work of an external hard drive.

adrianblaine
Mar 7, 2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, I can hook up the basement computer to the internet but it's kind of a hassel. Our iMac is connect to a high speed cable. I don't think I can splice off that. But, I can connect to the internet by activating Juno or some other free internet service. I've done the before. But you still have to put down a deposit on your credit card - even with Juno and AOL free trial. And then it's a real hassel to get your money back when you cancel.

If I only have to register the computer once, then it may be worth it.

The other idea of installing another iTunes on the upstairs iMac may be the way to go. I like this idea. We already have iTunes on that computer and, as stated earlier, i decided to do the separate iTunes on another computer so if and when something goes wrong with iTunes, my wife can't blame it on me. So, if I could have a separate iTunes on the iMac, that would be great but how. Do I go to apple downloads and download iTunes even though I already have itunes on that computer? I'm not sure I understand when I am supposed to "hold down the control key." Another concern is memory. Having 2 iTunes on one computer could really start to consume some serious memory,no? Although, I could rig up my itunes to work of an external hard drive.

The best thing would be to hook your PC up to the internet and register iTunes. It shouldn't need to do that again unless you re-install.

Your second idea is a little complicated. The easiest thing to do in that situation would be to create a separate account on that computer. It would use the same iTunes, but it would keep the libraries completely separate.