Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Right now I am sitting in a parking lot as I am waiting for my mom to finish her shopping. I have my Powerbook with ,e so I decided to see if there was any airport reception and there is! the nearest building is about 100ft away from me and somewhere there must be a wireless router. Anyways, it's great, fast, and wow!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I finally got the old Airport card for my old iBook. Wireless is pretty cool. I am working on a Pringles can antenna.

I will defiantly invest in AE when I upgrade computers.

Wireless is a blast.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
is there any difference between the signal areas of airport extreme and airport??? the pal says that the neerest building 100ft far, would it be smaller with normal airport???

ouketii

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2003
i think that airport has longer range than AE, just because the latter is still draft-spec. teh range is still better than 102.11a though.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
no ae, ( the g standart ) got a greater range for sure.
Or lets say it in another way the signal of normal airport is quite little at a distance of 35-40 meters, while ae is quite stonger. but when the distance for aireport is over, ae will also not work anymore.
Infact you might think ae is not as stong as airport as the overheat is littler but that s not true.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by maradong
no ae, ( the g standart ) got a greater range for sure.
Or lets say it in another way the signal of normal airport is quite little at a distance of 35-40 meters, while ae is quite stonger. but when the distance for aireport is over, ae will also not work anymore.
Infact you might think ae is not as stong as airport as the overheat is littler but that s not true.

According to this months MacWorld AE tapers out it's bandwith much sooner then regular Airport but still retains higher bandwidth. Though they both show nearly the exact same range overall. The funny thing is that the old iBook with Airport gets poorer reception at distance with an Airport Extreme basestation then it does with the old basestation. That's to say it get's slightly less reception then the new 12" and 17" Powerbooks but still much better then the Titanium.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
thank you for the replies...

MacBandit said that its "much better" then Titanium. Why is it so? Does the Titanium have a lower capacity antenna? or is just because the titanium alloy that makes it?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by toughboy
thank you for the replies...

MacBandit said that its "much better" then Titanium. Why is it so? Does the Titanium have a lower capacity antenna? or is just because the titanium alloy that makes it?

From what I understand the Titanium Powerbooks don't even have an antenna in the lid like the iBook and Aluminum Powerbooks.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by MacBandit
From what I understand the Titanium Powerbooks don't even have an antenna in the lid like the iBook and Aluminum Powerbooks.
sure ?
that sounds strange to me...

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
well actually if it hasn t got an antenna in the lid, airport can still be used, but the reception is much smaller.
not a point to worry about, as long as it works :D

pfranzen

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
London
TiBook sux...

I'm using one now over airport and my reception is lousy...even at about 10 meters thru a wall but with open door...

P

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: TiBook sux...

Originally posted by pfranzen
I'm using one now over airport and my reception is lousy...even at about 10 meters thru a wall but with open door...

P

10meters is pretty damn good for a TiBook as I understand it. I was just reading about the 17" in MacAddict and they say that they could get a full 50 feet that's 15 meters more distant and still receive good airport reception. Apparently the 12" Powerbook wasn't far behind at 40 feet or 12 meters.

pfranzen

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
London
wow 10m...

if thats all i'll have to get a few more base stations i guess!

Where I work it feels alot further but that may be because I'm on adifferent floor from the basestation...which probably is not far away but on top :)

p

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I have a TiBook, the antenae are located on the left and right sides of the "Base" (not lid). I heard that Extreme only differs in mac-2-mac/server and not to the http://WWW. So AE and airport should cruise the net at the same speeds.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yeah, the antennas (there are two) are on the sides of the base of the computer, by where your hands rest. The reception is crappy though. I can't even get all the way out to the street with my TiBook (maybe 100 feet) before i lose the signal. Sure love being wireless though. Now if only my battery could last all day....

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
From where I was sitting which was approx. 100ft away from the nearest buildingmy reception would be 1bar and occasionally go up to 2. Does this effect the internet speed, cause it seemed a little slow.

anyways, does anyone know of any commercial places that offer free wireless hookup?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Schiffi
I have a TiBook, the antenae are located on the left and right sides of the "Base" (not lid). I heard that Extreme only differs in mac-2-mac/server and not to the http://WWW. So AE and airport should cruise the net at the same speeds.

No AE will help internet too but only if you have an internet connection that exceeds 10Mbits/sec. That's the real world throuput of 802.11b the original Airport.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I've got a few wireless re-routers through the house, so reception is always there, inside and out.

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
Ti PowerBook Antenna Mystery

In a Developer Note on the PowerBook G4 available as a PDF download, on page 41 under the heading Airport Hardware, it states: "Two AirPort antennas are built into the computer's cover, on either side of the flat panel display."

This note is dated November 2002. I have a Ti PowerBook manufactured after this date and have had good/very good reception on wireless.

I believe that Apple changed the specks on this machine at some point, given the poor results with the antennas in the base.

When Steve Jobs announced the Al PowerBooks he stated that the antennnas were in the lid where they always should have been, (if I recall the exact words). This doesn't preclude the antennas being moved on later model Ti PBs.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by mactastic
Yeah, the antennas (there are two) are on the sides of the base of the computer, by where your hands rest. The reception is crappy though. I can't even get all the way out to the street with my TiBook (maybe 100 feet) before i lose the signal. Sure love being wireless though. Now if only my battery could last all day....

"Now if only my battery could last all day.... " all in time. :D

now i'm glad i sold my 667 TiBook. i've never used wireless before, but i'll definitely be making sure i get a AE card on my next PowerBook! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.