PDA

View Full Version : WTF am I doing??!?!?!

scem0
Jun 2, 2003, 05:00 PM
:mad: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

:mad: I just woke up from sleeping all day. Ya wanna know why? Because I was at my highscool at 8:30 during the frikin' summer, and much worse, I was listening to my history teacher from last year talk about history (the subject I hate the most) for 3 frikin' hours!

:mad: I can't believe I wanted to take a dual credit class this summer. I guess I didn't realize that it would be sooooooooooooo long, and soooooooooo boring. Not to mention at 8: frikin' 30 in the frickin' morning.

:mad: So, I spent my day sleeping, when I was planning on going bowling with some friends. Too late to arrange that. :rolleyes:

I just need to try to keep thinking about how everone else will be taking history next year and I will be in Computer networking :D.

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 05:30 PM
That's the scem0 concentrate on the positive. Maybe the summer History Class will be easier! How long does the class last? It will go faster than to think, try to concentrate. Each day down is just one day closer to that Computer Nerworking class!

MrMacMan
Jun 2, 2003, 05:39 PM
Your already out of school?

what the hell....

And already into summer school... damn!

I will be finished in like 3 weeks. :eek: :confused:

MacFan25
Jun 2, 2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
my last day of school is tomorrow. :p ;) :D But i have 3 finals. :(

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25

I wish you great success in your 3 finals MacFan25. Please let us know how well it goes? I hope that you will have a great summer.

Sun Baked
Jun 2, 2003, 07:30 PM
Don't worry...

You're well on the way to becoming a highly valued member of the Hormel Family.

Of course we all know what section of that family tree you fit into. ;)

---

Keep it up and you may someday be driving that big blue tin can on wheels.

MrMacMan
Jun 2, 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I have 2 regents (DAMN NY!) and in every class I have a final. (that doesn't have a regent) :mad:

GAH!!!

vniow
Jun 2, 2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by scem0
:mad: So, I spent my day sleeping, when I was planning on going bowling with some friends. Too late to arrange that. :rolleyes:

No wonder you're pissed, every kid at the peak of their youth should go and have a jolly good time bowling with their friends!

applemacdude
Jun 2, 2003, 07:57 PM
my last day of school is still in a week and a 1/2

shadowfax
Jun 2, 2003, 08:01 PM

what the hell....

I will be finished in like 3 weeks. :eek: :confused: where the heck do you go to school? every school i know of ends at the end of may. you guys don't get out till the end of July?

beez7777
Jun 2, 2003, 08:15 PM
I have 2 regents (DAMN NY!) and in every class I have a final. (that doesn't have a regent) :mad:

GAH!!!

im sorry, but regents are a joke. i only took one, in 8th grade (earth science), (i'm in 10th now) and i laughed at how easy it was. i go to a catholic high school now and i have finals in two weeks, that count for half of my grade for the year, which sucks. i might have to start really studying for stuff. :rolleyes:

Kwyjibo
Jun 2, 2003, 08:32 PM
I had my last day of high school ever on Friday and graduation is wednesday, our senior party is saturday.... and then i'm completely done with high school yayyy

funkywhat2
Jun 2, 2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by beez7777
im sorry, but regents are a joke. i only took one, in 8th grade (earth science), (i'm in 10th now) and i laughed at how easy it was. i go to a catholic high school now and i have finals in two weeks, that count for half of my grade for the year, which sucks. i might have to start really studying for stuff. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but in Chaminade they actually teach. Try to find a decent teacher in a public school in NY.

I took my english final. I have one, two, three... four regents exams and I took my World History AP test. Programming final soon. I am so screwed.

Good thing I can change my schedule. You have inspired me not to take driver's ed. this summer, Mr "Scem0."

MrMacMan
Jun 2, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
where the heck do you go to school? every school i know of ends at the end of may. you guys don't get out till the end of July?
New York, Great Neck. (South High)

We are like #12 on the best high schools in the country, but... too many finals and regents!
gah!

Anyway, gotta love my 180 school year!

tazo
Jun 2, 2003, 09:26 PM

what the hell....

14 days left here. This week is our last 'full'' week. all next week there are ceremonies, campus day, various assemblies, etc.

i plan to swim everyday, and play pool at my teen rec. center.

beez7777
Jun 2, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Yeah, but in Chaminade they actually teach. Try to find a decent teacher in a public school in NY.

I took my english final. I have one, two, three... four regents exams and I took my World History AP test. Programming final soon. I am so screwed.

mr. pell was a good teacher...

don't worry, we'll all go down together.

funkywhat2
Jun 2, 2003, 09:43 PM
New York, Great Neck. (South High)

We are like #12 on the best high schools in the country, but... too many finals and regents!
gah!

Anyway, gotta love my 180 school year!

That list was so messed up. Mine (Calhoun) was number 93, and one of the other one's in my district was number 63 (Kennedy.) They only looked at AP and IB scores, if I'm not mistaken. But the results are so messed up, because my district allows anone into the AP program. Thats not to say that I don't think that everyone should be let in, but the results are very skewed because of it. Calhoun isn't a top 100 school, no matter how you look at it. It's barely a top 1000 school.

The teacher are using it to convince parents to pass our super-inflated budget. My distict is so freakin' wasteful. It pisses me off. Then they use skewed things like that damned Newsweek report to justify raising taxes. It's a bunch of bull, it really is.

5300cs
Jun 2, 2003, 10:03 PM
No snow days this year? We used to get out for the summer around early June.
When I was in high school, my school district had the dubious distinction of being 6 years without a single snow day. Had a wonderful time tredging through the snow on the way to school ...

job
Jun 2, 2003, 10:09 PM
My last day was the 30th of May.

Ahhh...summer....great times here in the Woodlands....if you've got a drivers license that is. ;)

GeneR
Jun 3, 2003, 05:08 AM
For some reason that famous line from Star Wars, Episode IV comes to mind:

"Stay on target... stay on target..." heh.

Sigh. I used to like Star Wars (pre-Episode I and pre-Special Edition). Wow. How life changes.

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the support. I am almost ready to leave for day 2 :(. I still think it is criminal to wake up at 7:50 during the summer.

Oh well. :o

5300cs
Jun 3, 2003, 08:04 AM
what time is school out?

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 08:08 AM
12:30.... 8:30 to 12:30. 3 hours :(.

BTW Ms. Stratton can put the most awake person to sleep in an instant. :o

5300cs
Jun 3, 2003, 08:17 AM
that's not that bad.. at least you get out at lunch... you still have the rest of the day

vollspacken
Jun 3, 2003, 08:36 AM
... at least you have something to do!!! I graduated from college one and a half weeks ago and now I'm back in Germany and University/grad school class does not start until middle of October!!!

aaarrrrrrgghhhhh, I'm too lazy to get a job right now, but at a caertain point in a month or so, I will have to, because otherwise I'll go insane...

and worst of all, I still don't now my grades and if I graduated with honors or not (most likely not... but you never know) :mad:

I browse the web all day, try to sell crap on eBay, eat japanese noodles, and start doing houswork (my mom's a member of parliament so she's gone most of the day)...

man, I wish it was september and I get my room back at my university

lucky you that you take summer class, and BTW, I love history!!!

;)

vSpacken

hvfsl
Jun 3, 2003, 08:36 AM
I dont get the US school system, are you saying you are going to school in the summer holidays or that this is a summer term?

Also to anyone German who reads this, I am going to a Theme Park in Germany at the end of July and want to know if school has finished by then so I will know if it will be crowded there or not.

vollspacken
Jun 3, 2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by hvfsl
Also to anyone German who reads this, I am going to a Theme Park in Germany at the end of July and want to know if school has finished by then so I will know if it will be crowded there or not.

depends on the state... different states have different dates for the major school holidays, but some states do start at that time

here's a link where you can find out when and where, based on the substates (http://www.holidays-info.com/index.asp?Language=EN&Year=2003&Country=81&Region=96&OptionSchoolHolidays=True&OptionHolidays=True&Action=Update)

and here's a general overview, even though it's in German (http://www.schulferien.de/Schulferien-2003.html)

I hope that helps :)

vSpacken

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by 5300cs
that's not that bad.. at least you get out at lunch... you still have the rest of the day

to recover/sleep :(.

wdlove
Jun 3, 2003, 07:57 PM
12:30.... 8:30 to 12:30. 3 hours :(.

BTW Ms. Stratton can put the most awake person to sleep in an instant. :o

I have no doubt, but that you will do a good job scem0. Trust me it will be over befor you know it! ;) Nothing that comes easy is really worth the time that it takes.

MacFan25
Jun 3, 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I wish you great success in your 3 finals MacFan25. Please let us know how well it goes? I hope that you will have a great summer.
thank you wdlove. i had them today, and they weren't too bad. :) I think I will have a good summer. :)

donigian
Jun 3, 2003, 08:28 PM
To put shame to all you people still in school, I got out on May 23. Graduation was the night before. Ya gotta love Metro-Nashville Public Schools. Although, we do have to go back to school on August 11, that really sucks.

sillymacgirl
Jun 3, 2003, 10:12 PM
To everyone who was complaining that others are already out for summer while you are still in school...remember one thing.....those who get out first, go back first! :D You'll still have a couple weeks of partying at the end of summer while they are already back in the daily grind of classes and homework! ;)

donigian
Jun 3, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by sillymacgirl
To everyone who was complaining that others are already out for summer while you are still in school...remember one thing.....those who get out first, go back first! :D You'll still have a couple weeks of partying at the end of summer while they are already back in the daily grind of classes and homework! ;)

That's exactly my point. I'm gonna be back in school in the middle of August. And it's gonna be a Monday, rather than a Thursday like it has been for the past years of schooling. My thanks go out to our lovely and much revered school director Dr. Pedro Garcia, formally of California. He hasn't made too many friends here, and it's his fault I'll be in school in the middle of the summer.

pivo6
Jun 3, 2003, 10:59 PM
You think 8AM is bad now, wait until you have a class in college at that time of the morning with a hangover.

GeneR
Jun 3, 2003, 11:43 PM
Hey, Scem0,

I think you'll have to get in line with that question. I think a lot of people ask that question (WTF am I doing???) every single day of their lives.

Relax.

Enjoy.

You are not alone. Welcome to the human race. :D

Zaid
Jun 4, 2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by pivo6
You think 8AM is bad now, wait until you have a class in college at that time of the morning with a hangover.

Yeh but at uni you can just skip the classes :) I had stats at 8AM every morning for 2 years (3rd and 4th yrs). Must have attended about a handful (literally) of those lectures :)

pivo6
Jun 4, 2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Zaid
Yeh but at uni you can just skip the classes :) I had stats at 8AM every morning for 2 years (3rd and 4th yrs). Must have attended about a handful (literally) of those lectures :)

Or better yet, just don't schedule yourself for classes that early in the morning. It also depends on the class. My roommate had a 3rd year class on differential equations (he was a math major). He would show up, hand in his work, get the next assignment and then leave. Still got an A.

scem0
Jun 4, 2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Zaid

As if my parents would allow that :rolleyes: :o. They won't even allow me to take regulars courses, which is bringing down my GPA, and it's going to cause me to not be able to go to a good college.

Parents suck :(.

Well, sometimes....... ;)

Zaid
Jun 4, 2003, 08:40 AM
As if my parents would allow that :rolleyes: :o. They won't even allow me to take regulars courses, which is bringing down my GPA, and it's going to cause me to not be able to go to a good college.

I got the whole focus on your grades so that you can get into a good university thing when i was in my final year at high school.

It does actually payoff tho. It got me into the best uni in the country (South Africa) which in turn got me a job in London. So as much as it pains me to say it, yeh your parents are right about pushing you. Sucks tho doesn't it :D

So, you'll be staying at home when your'e at university? :)
I really enjoyed the independence of staying away from home while at uni. (including the independence to skip lectures i deemed not worth attending :) ) Its a great part of the varsity experience. :D

scem0
Jun 4, 2003, 02:42 PM
no, im gunna live in a dorm, or apartment. But the reason I want to take regulars is because the university I want to go to (The University of Texas) automatically accepts the top 10% of a school's students, and I am only in the top 40% because I am struggling to keep my grades up in honors and AP classes. There are lots of students who aren't as dedicated as I am, aren't as ambitious, and aren't as intelligent who are above me GPA-wise. If I took regulars, I could have a 3.8+ GPA easily, which would put me in the top 10%, and put me in the college I want, and help me get the job I want.

Sigh :o..........

MarksEvilTwin
Jun 4, 2003, 03:22 PM
Removed

scem0
Jun 4, 2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Good thing I can change my schedule. You have inspired me not to take driver's ed. this summer, Mr "Scem0."
http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/hmmm.gif

Your welcome....http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/uhh.gif http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/uhh.gif http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/retard.gif

wdlove
Jun 4, 2003, 08:57 PM

Your parents are just doing what they think is best. I'm sure that you will look back and be grateful. You won't think that till many years from now though! Just hang in there scem0!

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 5300cs
No snow days this year? We used to get out for the summer around early June.
When I was in high school, my school district had the dubious distinction of being 6 years without a single snow day. Had a wonderful time tredging through the snow on the way to school ...

That really sucks. In my neck of the woods we had to use a bunch of snow days this year. We had 5 built-in to the calendar and we went to 7 days, they just took out a couple of inservice days that teachers would have been at school for. Some poor counties around Nashville didn't have any snow days built in because we haven't had to use them in a few years. They had 11 snow days. They're in school until this week sometime.

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 09:10 PM
Sorry for the double post.

Originally posted by hvfsl
I dont get the US school system, are you saying you are going to school in the summer holidays or that this is a summer term?

To clear this up for you, most school systems begin school in mid-August to mid-September and it goes until late-May or June. Summer school is used for people who either failed a class and want to make it up without falling behind in school or for people who are wanting to get a credit for the first time, although how much can you really learn in such a short period of time.

And you, scem0, cheer up. Colleges don't just look at your GPA, although it helps. They also look at your course load, extracurricular activities, essays, and, possibly, recommendations. If you're strong with courses, as you seem to be, and extracurriculars, which I hope you are, you should just keep trying hard and hopefully you'll get in. Plus, just because you aren't guaranteed acceptance at your school of choice doesn't mean you won't be accepted. BTW, what year are you?

scem0
Jun 4, 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by donigian

And you, scem0, cheer up. Colleges don't just look at your GPA, although it helps. They also look at your course load, extracurricular activities, essays, and, possibly, recommendations. If you're strong with courses, as you seem to be, and extracurriculars, which I hope you are, you should just keep trying hard and hopefully you'll get in. Plus, just because you aren't guaranteed acceptance at your school of choice doesn't mean you won't be accepted. BTW, what year are you?
Just finished sophomore year. Well, the college I want to go to looks at GPA before anything else. My GPA is bad - a 3.12something, because I'm not very dedicated when it comes to homework, and test grades can only pull up your average so much http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif. So if I had it my way I would get into regulars, get a ~4.0 GPA, and get into UT without having to worry. Get a good job. Become successful. Become CEO of a semiconductor manufacturing company (IBM would be nice, I would do some nice things for apple). Buy lots of stuff. Buy a small country. Take over the world http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/drool.gif. http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/cwm6.gif

I mean strive for world peace. http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/party.gif

- scem0 http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 10:48 PM
Just finished sophomore year. Well, the college I want to go to looks at GPA before anything else. My GPA is bad - a 3.12something, because I'm not very dedicated when it comes to homework, and test grades can only pull up your average so much

I hate to ask but don't you care to learn anything while you're in school. For the better part of this past year I went to AP US History class because I couldn't change my schedule for anything else, it's a small school. Only when I took the AP exam in May did I realize that I had learned a lot. I knew more about the concepts of American History than many people would ever know in their lives and yet I didn't know I knew it until I took the test. My whole class went in expecting to fail and walked away feeling like we'd accomplished something. I'm glas I took AP US History because I now know the history of America and although it might not seem usefull I can understand and appreciate much more of the going-ons of the world now.

I'm entering my senior year in high school, so I'm not some lame-ass who is 50 years old. I'm just a kid like yourself so, please, take what I said into consideration and try to go to school for its purpose: to learn, you might come out with something other than a diploma, although at times that's all I want. Take the harder classes, stick with it, learn something, and, even if others have higher GPAs, know that you know something. I think that's worth a little.

P.S. Your school might weight your grades because they're AP or honors. Check with your guidance counselor and also ask him/her if UT weights AP/Honors applicants.

job
Jun 4, 2003, 10:49 PM
I've still got my 4.0 with AP classes

(My school doesn't use the 4.0/5.0/6.0 scale with AP. It's just the normal 4.0 scale.)

Not to gloat or anything. ;) :p :D

Rower_CPU
Jun 4, 2003, 10:52 PM
6.0?!?! That's just wrong.

We were on the 5.0 scale for AP classes. Lazy kids these days. ;)

scem0
Jun 4, 2003, 10:54 PM
I hate to ask but don't you care to learn anything while you're in school.

Oh I love to learn. And I pay attention in class, do well on tests, and learn a lot. But I think school should stay at school and not go home with you, so I rarely do homework.

I learn a lot more than lots of people who do all the homework. Many of those people tend to be mindless 'rememberers' who do their homework, memorize things, do well on tests, do well in school, but never really take in the knowledge or analyze it.

I am very analytical and introspective usually when it comes to school, but when it comes to homework I am lazy, and umm..... not very consistant. http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

job
Jun 4, 2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
6.0?!?! That's just wrong.

Yeah, the class of '05 here in the Woodlands gets the much vaunted 6.0 scale. :rolleyes:

It's inflated, really. Colleges will adjust accordingly to the 4.0 scale.

scem0
Jun 4, 2003, 11:13 PM
our school is on a 5.0 scale. Even with that I am still just a 3.1. http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/paranoid.gif.

MarksEvilTwin
Jun 5, 2003, 07:49 PM
Removed

shadowfax
Jun 5, 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by MarksEvilTwin
we dont do a 4.0 or a 5.0 or anything like that. our grades are all percents. all our report cards are like:

english - 93
pre-calculus - 90
AP US History - 88

etc. etc, so you'd have a final year average instead of like a 3.9, you'd have a 96, or whatever the % equivalent is

Mark well, my school does a 6.0 grading scale, but we still get % scores on our report cards. it's just on rank cards that we get our 6.0 GPA.

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 08:04 PM
we dont do a 4.0 or a 5.0 or anything like that. our grades are all percents. all our report cards are like:

english - 93
pre-calculus - 90
AP US History - 88

etc. etc, so you'd have a final year average instead of like a 3.9, you'd have a 96, or whatever the % equivalent is

Mark

Mark, my school shows the same thing on our report cards but it's super easy to calculate your 4-point GPA. You have to have your grades for each semester for all of your high school days (just semester grades). For each A, write 4; B, 3; C, 2; D, 1; and F, 0. Add all those numbers and divide by the total number of grades you had. It will be a number between 0 and 4, depending on how well you do in school. FWIW, mine is a 3.17.

Hope that helps you understand 4-point GPAs.

MarksEvilTwin
Jun 5, 2003, 08:11 PM
Removed

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 08:13 PM
righto

i realize there is a conversion, what i basically meant was that the school doesn't put it on the card, nobody speaks about their grades in 4.0 form, we all just say "yeah my final average was a 93.250" or whatever. Its just not an issue, the whole 4.0 thing. It's not a way we think about or regard our grades.

Mark

Ah, I see. Like I said, my school doesn't give you a 4-point GPA. When you ask the guidance counselor what you're GPA is she tells it to us on a 100-point scale. We've just learned to translate to 4-point for applications and such.

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2003, 08:24 PM
Ah, I see. Like I said, my school doesn't give you a 4-point GPA. When you ask the guidance counselor what you're GPA is she tells it to us on a 100-point scale. We've just learned to translate to 4-point for applications and such.

Don't forget the +/- system. Love the pluses, hate the minuses.

My grad school GPA just went down from a 4.0 due to an A-. :rolleyes:

beez7777
Jun 5, 2003, 08:30 PM
my school goes simply by % out of 100. how would i convert say, my 96 average to a 4.0 scale? what constitutes an A- or an A+?

donigian
Jun 5, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by beez7777
my school goes simply by % out of 100. how would i convert say, my 96 average to a 4.0 scale? what constitutes an A- or an A+?

Read my earlier post, it is 2 above your's.

P.S. If you don't get it, it requires all the semester grades for all your semesters in high school. + & - don't mean anything unless those are the grades you receive. This only works with 100% or "even letter" grades.