Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevicoll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Friends, After updating to 10.4.8, my G5 will not recognize the disk drive. I have run Disk Warrior, applejack and disk utility repair permissions. Has anyone seen this? Thanks.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Is it your startup disk? Meaning you can't boot MacOS? Or is it an external, or secondary internal disk?

kevicoll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Yes, it is my start up disk but I have an emergency start up disk in 10.4.3. Every time I update osx, I end up reinstalling the old system, was hoping to avoid this. Thanks.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Yes, it is my start up disk but I have an emergency start up disk in 10.4.3. Every time I update osx, I end up reinstalling the old system, was hoping to avoid this. Thanks.

so you're saying every time you install a 10.4.4 or above update you've had to reinstall completely?

there's something more to the problem then. start off clearing the PRAM, PMU, and suchlike. if it doesn't make any difference, and you've done all the steps you mentioned such as repairing permissions, it may be an idea to take it to a genius bar and talk to them about it.. i'm not saying someone else here won't be able to help but to me, it sounds fishy!

kevicoll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Thanks, I'll try zapping in the morning. The drive has been having problems, quit burning dvd's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.