Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Okay, so I want a folder locked, basically, from what I found the ways aren't what I need... I want it so that the folder requires a password, you know, like updates and installs ask for? So like when you go to open the folder I want it to bring up a prompt. Not just to open the things in the folder... Any ideas how I should do this?

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Try Abracadabra.

It's a widget that takes your folder and then you can password protect it. The only problem is that if you forget the password, you can't get the files back. BTW the files are hidden in when trying to search for them in Spotlights.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
That'll do, the only problem is it makes me feel a bit nervous...

What I mean to say is that I will use it, but I would like something that works a bit more straight forward. Like you can still see the folder in finder and then when you try and enter it it prompts for a password for entry. Just for file editing and such, that would make it easier. If you uninstall the widget will the files be gone?

VoidBoi

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Australia
You could try creating an encrypted sparse disk image with disk utility. If you don't save the password in your keychain, it'll ask you every time you open it.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
You could try creating an encrypted sparse disk image with disk utility. If you don't save the password in your keychain, it'll ask you every time you open it.

this is what i do for my sensitive files. it's very easy to create using Disk Utility.

Sniper78

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2006
Finder to Dashboard?

Yeah, I downloaded the widget but there seems to be no way to drag and drop a file or folder from the Finder in to the hat, which is in Dashboard.
Am I missing something here?

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
The way I found to accomplish this is to set dashboard as a hot corner (upper right for me) and then click your folder or file, drag it to the hot corner, dashboard will open, and then you can drop it into the widget. Then set the password and you are good to go.

Also, the files do not appear in finder anymore, nor spotlight.

Cheers

[EDIT] VoidBoi beat me to the punch, that way will work as well [EDIT]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.