PDA

View Full Version : Independent Filmmakers please help me

DaedalusDE
Jun 2, 2003, 07:15 PM
ok i have this pretty ************ english paper i have to write... only 3 pages long about anything in the world you can write a thesis statement about... so i decided to do:

Independent Films have an impact on society...

cant get much bull****tier than that right?

Well i realized i cant really find anything to prove that thesis so basically i'm ****ed because i cant change it...

thats where you guys come in... please help me... i've got some ideas but i really need some input from people who work with or in the industry... thanks

funkywhat2
Jun 2, 2003, 10:03 PM
Think of an independent cult film that you've seen, and talk about how that changed your behavior.

I'd say to ask Sal, but you sound a little too screwed for that. Plus, it's 11 o'clock.

Try to find a synopsis of the film (one source) and interview with the director (two sources) what the cultists think of the movie (three) etc. How many sources do you guys have to use? We needed five, with eight citations.

GeneR
Jun 3, 2003, 04:25 PM
Maybe you need to focus on what has happened in the film industry these last ten years: the shift towards independent films.

That in itself demonstrates the impact that independent films have on society: people are now seeking films of artistic merit and they are looking for it in the art houses as opposed to the cineplexes.

And the fact that you happen to have a lot of independent films winning awards (i.e. Gosford Park, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, etc.) and changing the mindset of a lot of young entertainers' perceptions of independent filmmaking and potential profits (i.e. The Blair Witch Project, El Mariachi, Festen/The Celebration, etc.) with digital movie making movements (i.e. Dogma 95), the emergence of mini-distributors now capitalizing off of Direct-to-DVD sales (run a search on VSDA in the LATimes.com site), new internet distribution channels and boutiques such as iFilm.com, etc. goes hand in hand with independent filmmaking, and the mobilization of some companies (i.e. Apple, Inc, Microsoft, etc. ) to capitalize off of the success stories touted by independent filmmaking (i.e. Apple Hot News articles about digital filmmakers using Final Cut Pro, etc.), I think you have plenty of material.

But it's probably only three pages long. And it probably was due this morning at 8:00AM.

Oh well... :D

DaedalusDE
Jun 3, 2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys... and btw... it is only 3 pages long, but its due on friday the 13th

zimv20
Jun 3, 2003, 05:07 PM
if you're up to doing the research, it would be interesting to present the case that recent changes in copyright laws (allowing companies to hold onto their copyrights) stifles art by denying fair use.

presenting the history on that alone will make for quite a few pages.