PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: iMac G4 LCD

jericho53
Mar 1, 2007, 01:50 AM
I recently purchased a iMac G4 1.25, 17" on eBay. It is in perfect condition except that the lcd screen was "scratched" during shipment. It is especially bothersome since it is in the middle of the screen. It shows up as a white spot roughly 1/8 of an inch long. What are my options? I searched the forums and the internet and just found laptop repair. Thank you for any help.

edit: the white spot in the pic is what I am talking about. It is a bit blurred on the pic. It is not quite that big, but still annoying.

Mohinder
Mar 1, 2007, 11:21 AM
It's hard to tell from the picture, but are you sure that's not a stick pixel?

jericho53
Mar 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
It is a scratch that actually goes into the screen. Not sure what to do about it though.:confused:

jericho53
Mar 2, 2007, 07:57 PM
Any advice??? anyone? I'm at your mercy.

jericho53
Mar 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
any advice? please?

CaptainHaddock
Mar 6, 2007, 07:16 AM
Was it insured during shipping?

mkrishnan
Mar 6, 2007, 07:40 AM
You asked for advice, but you didn't really explain much about what you want to accomplish?

1) Is your main concern the money you spent? If so, then as above, you should immediately investigate a shipping damage claim or a claim with the seller if it was not properly packaged. Depending on how you purchased it, PayPal and/or your credit card company may also offer you protection.

2) Is your main concern having a working G4 iMac because you really like that design? You might try either calling a company like MacMedics (http://macmedics.com/service.htm) for advice, or if you are technically competent, finding a replacement screen on eBay. Will not be all that cheap either way, although much less the second way than the first.

jericho53
Mar 6, 2007, 10:51 AM
Ok, thank you for the advice. I don't think it was insured during shipping and I don't really want to mess with that aspect of it. I own the computer now and I love it. Ideally I would like to have the screen repaired. I have no experience repairing lcds, so it sounds like it could get pricey. Thanks again.