PDA

View Full Version : Home Network Setup Help

kitki83
Mar 1, 2007, 04:00 PM
I included a diagram of basically how my networking is set up.

I need help on the following:

1. Is the Wireless network Model good enough?

2. As you can see I have one network cable to my office but need to hook up three computers. I tried Network device that allowed 4 connections but cannot share files with PC at Living Room 1 and printer.
What device is good using one cable be able to recognize the other computers? I heard switch can do this but I see it requires two cables?

3. I dont know anything about programming my Wireless unit and new one I will get for my office, so how do I know my settings (left at default) are optimize for my situation and secure (what to create log in and pass or create a pass to access wireless?)

4. Whats 10/100/1000 that I see?

I know this seems redundant since I see other post but I dont understand the language of networking at all.

Thank You for the advice and dont hesitate to post models you recommend.

RM.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/kitki83/Network-Setup.jpg

rogersmj
Mar 1, 2007, 04:13 PM
I find your diagram really confusing, but I'll do my best.

1. Is the Wireless network Model good enough?

Not really sure what you mean by that.

2. As you can see I have one network cable to my office but need to hook up three computers. I tried Network device that allowed 4 connections but cannot share files with PC at Living Room 1 and printer.
What device is good using one cable be able to recognize the other computers? I heard switch can do this but I see it requires two cables?

A switch is exactly what you want. A switch is essentially a "splitter". You only run one cable between your router and the switch, and then hook as many computers as you want into the switch.

3. I dont know anything about programming my Wireless unit and new one I will get for my office, so how do I know my settings (left at default) are optimize for my situation and secure (what to create log in and pass or create a pass to access wireless?)

When you setup your new router, you should immediately do two things: change the administration password, and setup wireless security. The best and most compatible form of wireless security available on most devices today is WPA. That involves a password (make it different from your administration password) that people have to type in before being allowed on your wireless network.

kitki83
Mar 1, 2007, 04:17 PM
I find your diagram really confusing, but I'll do my best.

Not really sure what you mean by that.

If the wireless network is crappy or still good, was what I meant.

As far your information that cleared alot.

The Diagram is how the network is setup in my house, the question mark spot is that one cable is switch around between the computers.

Thanks for the information I got the idea, and looking at newegg for simple splitters.

rogersmj
Mar 1, 2007, 04:20 PM
Well, make sure it's a switch and not a splitter. There is a difference, and you need a switch. I used the word "splitter" because it makes it easier to understand.

I don't know much about Belkin routers. I have heard good things and bad things. I personally buy Linksys wireless routers. Whatever you buy, don't buy a Netgear.

I think what confuses me on your diagram is all the colors, and why some computers have two colors next to them.

kitki83
Mar 1, 2007, 04:25 PM
Well, make sure it's a switch and not a splitter. There is a difference, and you need a switch. I used the word "splitter" because it makes it easier to understand.

I don't know much about Belkin routers. I have heard good things and bad things. I personally buy Linksys wireless routers. Whatever you buy, don't buy a Netgear.

I think what confuses me on your diagram is all the colors, and why some computers have two colors next to them.

The second color on bottom is I can take the computer to another room and use it there i shouldnt have added it in its more of a personal thing, hook up apple to plasma for video that will be gone with :apple: tv