PDA

View Full Version : Apple Marketshare Increasing?

MacRumors
Mar 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The Apple 2.0 blog (http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/03/mac_market_shar.html) points to new marketshare data from NetApplications (http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2) showing that Apple's marketshare increased to 6.28% based on recent browser statistics:

The results are based on a survey of browser visits to some 40,000 URLs and break the stats down between non-Intel (4.29%) and Intel (2.09%) machines.

This represents a 2.05 percentage point increase from six months ago based on their previous data. While the numbers may not directly translate into actual marketshare, it does seem to represent a significant increase within the same dataset.

This information also comes on the heels of reports of 100% growth (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/01/npd-mac-sales-grew-over-100-in-january/) in Mac sales in January.

Tymmz
Mar 2, 2007, 09:52 AM
good news!

apple deserves a bigger marketshare.

Zwhaler
Mar 2, 2007, 09:54 AM
Pretty soon Apple will have at least 15 percent, i expect it to keep rising.

jjmaximum
Mar 2, 2007, 09:56 AM
Good. Maybe more websites will finally become mac/safari-compatible. It's getting better all the time, but nowhere near 100%.

J Radical
Mar 2, 2007, 10:02 AM
Good for apple, especially in the face of Vista.

There is obviously room for both operating systems now, OS X won't go away. As long as steve continues to deliver the goods people won't switch back.

Rocketman
Mar 2, 2007, 10:03 AM
Someday Apple will be king. Microsoft will lose.

Microsoft has the advantage of inertia. It will give up share begrudgingly for a decade or more. Even if Apple is better. The only way to break that dam is for Apple to become a fad in computers like they did in music players. Seems unlikely to me at this point, but Vista is pretty slow on the uptake, so it is still theoretically possible.

This data seems to indicate the Apple installed base is only something like 6.5% and other surveys I have seen not using web statistics seemed to show closer to 20%.

Rocketman

devilot
Mar 2, 2007, 10:04 AM
Good. Maybe more websites will finally become mac/safari-compatible.Ugh. I hate when I surf a site and they "helpfully" tell me that unless I use an outdated IE or Netscape with a Mac, I won't be able to see the site. :rolleyes:

Buschmaster
Mar 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
Wow, that's awesome! I think their marketshare will grow exponentially.

Once I got my computer that convinced essentially 3 others to go get MacBooks. If that keeps happening, things look great for Apple!

Eraserhead
Mar 2, 2007, 10:09 AM
Ugh. I hate when I surf a site and they "helpfully" tell me that unless I use an outdated IE or Netscape with a Mac, I won't be able to see the site. :rolleyes:

You should report it to the webmaster for the site ;), I don't find any sites that i visit aren't Mac compatible.

devilot
Mar 2, 2007, 10:12 AM
You should report it to the webmaster for the site ;), I don't find any sites that i visit aren't Mac compatible.Well, it's just silly! I'm obviously navigating their silly site w/out a problem. Hmph.

And I haven't a clue how to contact a given webmaster. :o That and I'm too lazy.

ChrisA
Mar 2, 2007, 10:14 AM

No, that will never happen and I doubt anyone at Apple wants it to happen.

Apple's whole business depends on ignoring the largest segment of the computer market. They ignore the entire low end. These are no $599 Apple notebooks and that's by design. You can't charge a premium price unless you have a premium product. Apple only sells at the high end where to margin is high. The bulk of the consumers will always buy basted on price and I doubt Apple wants to be the company with the cheapest product. I can see then ramping up to maybe as much as 15% in areas where they compete. But also they don't even try to get into the data centers or low end desktop markets.

Max E Verde
Mar 2, 2007, 10:16 AM
You should report it to the webmaster for the site ;), I don't find any sites that i visit aren't Mac compatible.

Yeah, me neither, but then again I mostly surf mac rumor/news/apple.com websites :P The only sites I see that aren't mac compatible are a small portion of the games on miniclip.com

Congrads to :apple: on the increase in market share, I hope it keeps on going up

Eraserhead
Mar 2, 2007, 10:24 AM
And I haven't a clue how to contact a given webmaster. :o That and I'm too lazy.

Give me a link to the site(s) and I'll find it for you (and send them an email).

EDIT: if you go to http://www.whois.net/ and enter the address under whois lookup you get the webmasters email address which should be active ;).

shu82
Mar 2, 2007, 10:27 AM
Go to adult swim fix if you want to see a site that is not mac compatable! I really think the web statistics are skewed since most of the world is forced to us PC's at work. Man I really want to stream ATHF. The guys at at adult swim need a wake up call. Or at least some sort of campaign to make them change.

Lancetx
Mar 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
Apple is making huge strides in the consumer market and numbers like these are proving it. I just wish there was a way to accurately and truly break down these numbers between the corporate users (which are probably 98% on Windows) and the home consumer users (where Apple is truly making their impact).

I bet you'd find that Apple's US marketshare is in the double digits when it comes to those home consumer users. Because just like many people, I'm stuck with a Windows only PC at work, but I have nothing but Macs at home.

Sandfleaz
Mar 2, 2007, 10:34 AM
Every 1 percent market share gain is HUGE!

GenesisST
Mar 2, 2007, 10:52 AM
But wait, that probably means the the other 94% are from Internet Explorer or Firefox inside Parallels! :D

Snowy_River
Mar 2, 2007, 11:03 AM
Go to adult swim fix if you want to see a site that is not mac compatable!

Not sure what's incompatible for you. I just went over there and watched a couple of videos with no problem. OS X 10.4.8, Safari 2.0.4.

kgarner
Mar 2, 2007, 11:11 AM
What I thought was interesting was that the PPC numbers are steady on the graph at around 4% while the Macintel number climb from near zero to over 2 in the same period.

This would seem to indicate a rise in actual market share. If it was just due to people upgrading their existing system there would be a decline in the PPC numbers.

pgwalsh
Mar 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
The biggest benefit I see is more Applications being developed for OS X. If Apple could garner 10% to 20% of the market, more developers would build applications for the Macintosh. More business and professional applications as well as games. This would be awesome. Go! :apple:

islandman
Mar 2, 2007, 11:26 AM
Go Apple! Unfortunately, I'm on Windows right now :apple:

Rocketman
Mar 2, 2007, 11:30 AM
What I thought was interesting was that the PPC numbers are steady on the graph at around 4% while the Macintel number climb from near zero to over 2 in the same period.

This would seem to indicate a rise in actual market share. If it was just due to people upgrading their existing system there would be a decline in the PPC numbers.

I agree. The installed Apple base is either happy with OS8/9 on older machines (no Safari there) or, with versions of OSX on mid-range age hardware.

Switchers were attracted by intel chips that can run BOTH OS's. It makes sense the market share is additive, but what surprises me a bit is how skewed it is to new users. This indicates something I have said for more than a decade. Macs tend to have long lives on the order of 5+ years.

As such we might start to see substantial Mac userbase upgrading about 5 years after the first Intel release in about 1-06. So 1-2011. Mac users have inertia too.

OSX does run on G3's right?

Rocketman

iJawn108
Mar 2, 2007, 11:37 AM
I was the first to switch out of anyone I know. I waited till after the WWDC(which I kind of regret cause I spent the summer with my crappy old boring computer but I have a september build macbook and no problems so i shouldnt complain) to see if I thought leopard was good or if it was going to be released. I got insanely sick of waiting and decided against the core 2 duo got mine in October. I have directly caused 1 macbook purchase and 1 other potencially. You can advertise out your ears, word of mouth helps heaps more.

I know some people are waiting for Leopard to switch, so I expect the #s to increase even more after it's released.

iJawn108
Mar 2, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah, me neither, but then again I mostly surf mac rumor/news/apple.com websites :P The only sites I see that aren't mac compatible are a small portion of the games on miniclip.com

Congrads to :apple: on the increase in market share, I hope it keeps on going up

I thought it was maybe how my flash was installed im glad im not the only one.

Toe
Mar 2, 2007, 11:51 AM
Forget market share... browser share is extremely important.

Imagine you're a company that's developing a big web-based marketing campaign. Would you find it acceptable if the developers told you that more than 6% of your audience will not only be unable to access your site, but also will be offended in the process?

2% you might be able to ignore (if you're callus). Anything over 5% is undeniably important.

Now all web developers will be required to make Mac-compatible websites. The days of lazy developers who only test in IE are over.

(And P.S. that means that web developers need Macs to test on. It won't take them long to realize that a dual-boot Mac or one with Parallels or VMWare is their best option for a full-range testing platform.)

BenRoethig
Mar 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
It's pretty remarkable that 1.3rd of the Macs out there are of the intel variety already.

Eraserhead
Mar 2, 2007, 12:06 PM
Imagine you're a company that's developing a big web-based marketing campaign. Would you find it acceptable if the developers told you that more than 6% of your audience will not only be unable to access your site, but also will be offended in the process?

Then there's the other 15% on Windows Firefox who will at the least be offended ;). 20% is a huge percentage to annoy.

greenmeanie
Mar 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
Is this the same way his STOCK was increasing too LOL :p

BornAgainMac
Mar 2, 2007, 12:44 PM
So then means that when I use a PC for viewing web pages that I am actually messing up those statistics. I should slam sites with all my Macs to get those stats up. :D

alansky
Mar 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Apple's market share has to grow for two simple reasons: (1) Thanks largely to the iPod, Apple is currently one of the best-known brands on the planet and (2) Apple makes gorgeous, cutting-edge computer products that are also much easier to use than the competition.

How could Apple's market share not be growing? Impossible!

DMann
Mar 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
Good for apple, especially in the face of Vista.

There is obviously room for both operating systems now, OS X won't go away. As long as steve continues to deliver the goods people won't switch back.

With such an extraordinarily stable and capable OS, elegantly styled hardware, seamless integration, stores booming with sales and new prospective customers, iPod draws, iPhone on the horizon, hardware which can run run neck and neck with PCs, the presence of Vista, and an ever increasing core of loyal consumers who appreciate style and reliablility, who greatly influence those who are on the fence, it's no wonder that marketshare will continue to "expand and expand.....(Monty Python, The Meaning of Life)

Toe
Mar 2, 2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks largely to the iPod, Apple is currently one of the best-known brands on the planet and...
For the record, Apple has always had some of the best brand recognition in the world. And the Apple logo has been one of the most recognized logos in the world since long before it went single-color.

ingenious
Mar 2, 2007, 01:22 PM
Ugh. I hate when I surf a site and they "helpfully" tell me that unless I use an outdated IE or Netscape with a Mac, I won't be able to see the site. :rolleyes:

Or when you're locked out because you use Safari, so you switch your user-agent to Windows MSIE 6.0 and it works... :rolleyes:

derbazooka
Mar 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
If hits accurately represent marketshare and Apple's total market share increased from 4% to 6%, then Apple increased it's total installed base by 50%. In 6 months. That means they're doubling the number of macs out there annually. I love Apple but that's just not realistic.

More hits from Safari users could mean nothing more than more mac users were surfing the web (say, talking about the iPhone.) Hard to believe we can draw conclusions about marketshare from this.

FoxyKaye
Mar 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
With such an extraordinarily stable and capable OS, elegantly styled hardware, seamless integration, stores booming with sales and new prospective customers, iPod draws, iPhone on the horizon, hardware which can run run neck and neck with PCs, the presence of Vista, and an ever increasing core of loyal consumers who appreciate style and reliablility, who greatly influence those who are on the fence, it's no wonder that marketshare will continue to "expand and expand.....(Monty Python, The Meaning of Life)
Indeed, my old boss, who took every pleasure in pointing out that he would forever be a "Windows Guy" just bought a 15" MacBook Pro (with my assistance, of course).

DMann
Mar 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
Up, Up, Up, when will the trend end?

End? This is only the beginning.......

DMann
Mar 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
Also, always bear in mind: when 1% of consumers buy a Mac, they are purchasing both an OS and a computer made by Apple, yet Apple's market-share rises only 1%. When purchasing a Dell, however, Dell's market-share rises 1% while MS's market-share also rises 1%, giving the illusion of 2% being taken away from Apple. Installed user base percentages can also be deceiving, since many consumers are using Windows and Mac simultaneously, more-so now with the advent of the Intel Mac, and more and more Windows users are using Linux while having Windows installed, but not using Windows at all. Apple's marketshare percentage may actually be MUCH higher than they appear statistically, and will continue to grow exponentially with the iPod halo effect, retail stores' enormous volume of sales, Leopard's debut, new pro apps on the horizon, not to mention Vista's arrival. Also, the iPhone will likely create yet another halo effect during the long term.

Rocksaurus
Mar 2, 2007, 01:36 PM
Disco Stu: Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% for the year ending 1976? [points to a chart for the years 1973-1976] If these trends continue... aaaaaaay!

Toe
Mar 2, 2007, 02:03 PM
If hits accurately represent marketshare and Apple's total market share increased from 4% to 6%, then Apple increased it's total installed base by 50%. In 6 months. That means they're doubling the number of macs out there annually. I love Apple but that's just not realistic.

More hits from Safari users could mean nothing more than more mac users were surfing the web (say, talking about the iPhone.) Hard to believe we can draw conclusions about marketshare from this.

These numbers are not so easily fudged. The sites these people look at get millions of hits, so their statistics are pretty-much dead on.

Look at the trends for Mac browsers:
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2
There is a nice steady, very strong upward progression over the last 6 months (and more).

This isn't some sort of anomaly. LOTs of people are buying Macs. Heck... I see them everywhere now, when just a year or two ago, mine was always the only PowerBook around in a public place.

J Radical
Mar 2, 2007, 02:10 PM

kgarner addressed this:

These stats are nothing more than an indicator, we'll have to wait for apple to let their real numbers be known and then wait for an analyst to make a judgement on % market share.

It's easy to forget that the Mac is irrelevant in large parts of the world, outside of North America, Western Europe Australia & Japan the Mac has next to no presence. When we talk about the elusive 5%, do we mean world wide or just in the west?

Most of us won't ever care about this (because our way of life is largely based upon ignoring the rest of the world), but Apple has zero penetration in emerging markets such as Brazil, India and China.

The silver lining (if there is one) is that Linux is pretty big in these places, so at least the future programmers in these countries will know unix...

Plutonius
Mar 2, 2007, 03:14 PM
Go to adult swim fix if you want to see a site that is not mac compatable! I really think the web statistics are skewed since most of the world is forced to us PC's at work. Man I really want to stream ATHF. The guys at at adult swim need a wake up call. Or at least some sort of campaign to make them change.

They advertised last month that their site is mac compatible.

Robot chicken ftw.

derbazooka
Mar 2, 2007, 03:30 PM
These numbers are not so easily fudged. The sites these people look at get millions of hits, so their statistics are pretty-much dead on.

I don't doubt the veracity of the statistics. It's the conclusions being drawn from them that are dubious.

If:
- Apple's marketshare increased from 4% to 6% in six months AND
- There are approximately 2 billion computers in service worldwide (ballparking from a 2005 Arstechnica article)

Then Apple sold (0.02 * 2000000000) = 40 Million computers in 6 months.

Apple shipped 1.6 million Macs in Q4 2006. And that represented strong growth.

In this case, the increase in Mac browser hits cannot possibly be used to predict market share increases. Apple doesn't have the production capacity nor the market to justify the figures.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 2, 2007, 03:56 PM
Well, in either case, almost everyone I know is switching to mac hardware. A friend of mine who has used nothing but Wintel devices just got herself a Macbook Pro. I don't push mac only when helping people buy, but the majority of friends and family who I've helped shop around for computer systems have gone for macs after seeing the bundled software they come with and after test driving my macbook for a spell. There's a very large number of people who are definitely anti-apple and would never touch the computers, but they aren't to worry. :D

seashellz2
Mar 2, 2007, 03:56 PM
I convinced a Windows junkie, who thought that Apple 'was a small company going bankrupt', to go look at, to drool over, then buy a 13" black Macbook.
It was Garageband and the Intel that won her over-she HAS to be able to use MSIE 6 for her job-Real Estate-whose site is windows only.
She is using Crossover 6, and therfore doesnt even have to install Windows XP on her Mac-just MSIE.

adamcz
Mar 2, 2007, 03:58 PM
Wow, that's awesome! I think their marketshare will grow exponentially.What does that mean? That if it's 6% now, it will soon become 36%?

chrismcdowell25
Mar 2, 2007, 04:00 PM

They fixed ATHF. It works now. I saw them advertising it while they were showing Family Guy the other day. Something about the site is now mac compatible so stop bitching. One of those where it is all black with the white text ads.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
I don't doubt the veracity of the statistics. It's the conclusions being drawn from them that are dubious.

If:
- There are approximately 2 billion computers in service worldwide (ballparking from a 2005 Arstechnica article)

In this case, the increase in Mac browser hits cannot possibly be used to predict market share increases. Apple doesn't have the production capacity nor the market to justify the figures.

What you have to consider are refurbished and preowned macs. Lots and lots of PPC systems are still being sold on Ebay and other sites and people buy those as well. I'm pretty sure this can account for the extra. Despite Macbook Pros, Powerbook G4's are still very desireable. A friend of mine just bought one cheap. Their prices have gotten pretty low too. I can buy a Powerbook G4 for the price of a macbook.

dejo
Mar 2, 2007, 04:31 PM
If:

You are mixing up marketshare (which is a percentage of product sold/shipped during a time frame) with install-base. You simply can't do that. You either need to take 2% of the total number of computers sold during those 6 months (which is much less than 2 billion) or you need to find out the percent increase in install-base and multiply that with the 2 billion. Then you will get some figures with which to make proper judgements.

splashman
Mar 2, 2007, 04:44 PM

No, that will never happen and I doubt anyone at Apple wants it to happen.

Apple's whole business depends on ignoring the largest segment of the computer market. They ignore the entire low end. These are no $599 Apple notebooks and that's by design. You can't charge a premium price unless you have a premium product. Apple only sells at the high end where to margin is high. The bulk of the consumers will always buy basted on price and I doubt Apple wants to be the company with the cheapest product. I can see then ramping up to maybe as much as 15% in areas where they compete. But also they don't even try to get into the data centers or low end desktop markets.

I completely agree. Steve Jobs has no desire to see cubicle farms populated with Macs. He prefers to have only the high end of the market; to be seen as above all the rest. And for the stockholders, that's a good strategy: the high end is where the profits are. Look at Apple's margins compared with Dell's.

I've said for a long time that if/when Apple's market share approaches 15%, Apple will start raising prices. That trigger might actually be 10%, but I have no doubt the trigger exists -- if not on paper, at least in Steve's head.

With size comes inertia. Look where inertia has taken MS.

SiliconAddict
Mar 2, 2007, 08:07 PM
I actually don't find this to be good news. I'm not overly happy with the attitude of Apple right now. They are acting like cock of the walk and they are the underdog. I really would hate to see what Jobs and Apple would be like with even 15% market share. Admittedly that its years off, if ever. But their behavior is turning into more of an IBM\Microsoft company more then anything else. I really feel the phrase Think Different has been replaced with Think Corporate.
That being said I'm not one of these fanbois who:

1. Wants to keep the Mac market small to feel important and special.
2. Wants to keep Apple the way its always been.
3. wants Apple to cater to its fanbas first and new users second.

No I'm perfectly happy with Apple growing their market, but not at the cost of their for lack of a better term..."soul". I've said this time and again but I think it is worth repeating. I really think Jobs had a revelation when he went through that bout of cancer. For now...Apple is Jobs. Jobs is Apple. Without him the company's future would be questionable at best. I think in 2004 Jobs made the decision that they couldn't maintain the status quo in regards to where Apple's market share stood. And thus began the push to increase market share...at any cost.
To put it another way if Jobs left the company for whatever reason, good or bad, would you as a fan be more comfortable with him leaving at 3% market share or 15%.
For a while Apple, as a computer company has been teetering. No I'm not one of these MS fanbois who is screeching like a baboon that OMG OMG! Apple is going to go out of business tomorrow! LOL!!!11one1|| But they have been in a niche market that was iffy to say the least. To put it another way Apple before the Intel transition was more likely to loose market share then gain it. Or more then likely it was in the .01% range per year.
Loosing Jobs would have probably tipped the scales further into the sliding market share. And contrary to popular belief market share DOES matter. Without it software and hardware manufacturers don't make wares for your platform. (Observe iPod vs. Zune as an example.)

So yah. While I approve of the market share growth I'm not happy what appears to be happening to apple's "culture". Its being dragged through the mud all in the name of growing numbers. :(

Ps- flame away.

SiliconAddict
Mar 2, 2007, 08:13 PM
Oh and to the people that say that Microsoft will loose. Heh. Dream on. Right now from an IT perspective Apple isn't anywhere close to killing Microsoft. Until Apple starts to really take the corp environment serious they will loose out to Microsoft. Heck the enterprise environment tools alone available on the Windows platform...

Oh and...

http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/warchest.jpg
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070302-8966.html

Anyone who thinks Microsoft is going anywhere anytime soon is a fool.

Westside guy
Mar 2, 2007, 08:47 PM

That changed a month or so ago - they moved to Flash from Windows Media.

Toe
Mar 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
Oh and to the people that say that Microsoft will loose. Heh. Dream on. Right now from an IT perspective Apple isn't anywhere close to killing Microsoft. Until Apple starts to really take the corp environment serious they will loose out to Microsoft. Heck the enterprise environment tools alone available on the Windows platform...

Many of the best enterprise tools are unix programs, and most of those run on Macs. Things like SugarCRM, VMWare, Oracle, MySQL, and so many, many other enterprise-class unix apps run natively on OS X.

As servers, Xserves make the best value proposition (great hardware, much cheaper per-user than Microsoft, much easier to deploy than other flavors of unix).

But yes, Apple certainly needs have more sales reps in the enterprise telling them this. Hopefully with Leopard they'll feel confident enough to do so.

Anyone who thinks Microsoft is going anywhere anytime soon is a fool.
...and everyone will always use WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3, right? :)

derbazooka
Mar 3, 2007, 01:16 AM
You are mixing up marketshare (which is a percentage of product sold/shipped during a time frame) with install-base. You simply can't do that. You either need to take 2% of the total number of computers sold during those 6 months (which is much less than 2 billion) or you need to find out the percent increase in install-base and multiply that with the 2 billion. Then you will get some figures with which to make proper judgements.

Mmm, no. The original survey uses this definition of market share: Operating System Market Share

This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use. This data is derived by aggregating the traffic across our network of websites that use our service.

They weren't using page hits from computers that had been sold/shipped during a time frame. They defined market share as install base. FWIW, I'm sure when software companies look at Apple's "market share," I'm sure they're talking about installed base, as well.

Supa_Fly
Mar 3, 2007, 01:34 AM
Good. Maybe more websites will finally become mac/safari-compatible. It's getting better all the time, but nowhere near 100%.

An example is the following site that the company I work for (well client of IBM, BNSF) has on their site www.bnsf.com\emu ... info of FAQ's underneath the link for the "Start Emulator" button states IE v5/6. There's a non-helpful link for Mac OS X running IE v5.2 for OS 9 emulation. A user gave me a site because he searched google for the error he got in WinXP for using the Java SUN code instead of the Microsoft VM (hasn't ben distributed since 2001 by M$ so you see just how long M$ Coding has been the standard). I didn't believe the user he got the same IBM MF interface working in Java SUN code using firefox. I thought to myself if the following link works in Firefox (www2.bnsf.com:8200) then it should work for Mac right? Well to my amazement it DID! in Safari on a Black MacBook. WOW! :apple:

This goes to show that coders in corporations writing proprietary code may need to change support for an interface to follow web standards.

Forget market share... browser share is extremely important.

2% you might be able to ignore (if you're callus). Anything over 5% is undeniably important.

Now all web developers will be required to make Mac-compatible websites. The days of lazy developers who only test in IE are over.

(And P.S. that means that web developers need Macs to test on. It won't take them long to realize that a dual-boot Mac or one with Parallels or VMWare is their best option for a full-range testing platform.)

GOOD POINT, but the pendelum swings BOTH ways. They could just be as easy for them to say "call Apple". All standard by that infamous/notorious commercial Leemons/Lemons I think. Apple needs to not only promote their iPods & consumer interesting aspects of Mac OS X, but more its power, professional side.

OS X's ability to be a server Farm, its ability to be data store for multiple heavy load simultaneous transactions etc. that kind of stuff, why OS X can be considered as a PRO :apple: platform! :apple: = PRO

ortuno2k
Mar 3, 2007, 01:54 AM
It's great, as long as it doesn't bring VISTA to Mac OS X. See below.

Virus
Infections
Spyware
Trojans
Adware

Long live :apple: :D

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 3, 2007, 03:49 AM
Apple is truly in a unique position. Vista has not made such an impact on the market, there is a real hardware advantage in having a mac (design & intel) plus the end-to-end model means that Apple has really a lot to offer.

The real question is why don't they offer it???? Lepord needs to be a real improvement over Tiger, MAC harware must offer the best intel has, .MAC needs to be fully integrated and made a much more generous service than it currently is, a true-video ipod plus movie download in the whole world. I sometimes think that Steve's greatest strength is his own greatest weakness. Too much 'my way' tends to make apple a one dimension operation. Apple needs to get aggressive and bring its best products for the consumers to the market and stop flogging M$ with soggy lettuce- i.e. ad campaign. If you won't to kick them, then hit them where it hurts- products.

So much opportunity, I just hope that narrow 'profit' considerations don't kill some of the grea things that Apple can do.

Steve- you need some products baby!!! Get aggressive, the we're too cool approach won't work forever.

BenRoethig
Mar 3, 2007, 05:01 AM
I actually don't find this to be good news. I'm not overly happy with the attitude of Apple right now. They are acting like cock of the walk and they are the underdog. I really would hate to see what Jobs and Apple would be like with even 15% market share. Admittedly that its years off, if ever. But their behavior is turning into more of an IBM\Microsoft company more then anything else. I really feel the phrase Think Different has been replaced with Think Corporate.

To be honest, I think it's been changed more to "think exactly as we do." I agree, Apple has been acting very arrogant of late, like they've somehow taken the lead on computers. To be honest, they owe most of their profits to switchers and mainstream devices. The traditional hardcore Mac users have been just enough to keep Apple going, if not slightly in the red. I think some have tried to block out the condition of Apple from the end of the G3 iMac craze until the iPod caught on, it wasn't pretty. I'm afraid that Apple's (and the Mac community's) attitude will eventually drive them back to the PC world. Unfortunately, I saw more then a few people who bought the original iMac do exactly that. It's not about how many windows people we can get to buy a Mac. It's about how many we can get to replace that Mac in a couple years with another Mac.

Digitalclips
Mar 3, 2007, 07:27 AM
Not sure what's incompatible for you. I just went over there and watched a couple of videos with no problem. OS X 10.4.8, Safari 2.0.4.

Re Mac unfriendly web sites

You should try the Real estate related MLS systems in the USA. They are very poor at supporting Mac. The Realtor side of them, where data in entered refuses to even allow access unless you are running IE on Winblows. Parallels and XP / IE is fine so at least we are free of PC hardware now. However, the experience for the client visiting the XMLS sites is still weak on Mac as text formatting is all over the place in Safari and Firefox. My wife's site is 100% made on a Mac but the links into the XMLS system are all external and I have to place an apology to visitors using a Mac for their less than perfect experience viewing listings due to this issue. It really makes me angry. The XMLS system is just a database containing listings in a specified area. Nothing difficult to program, just poorly done.

Check this out for yourself.. select listings and then view details you will see text over shooting frames and going off edge of pages when viewing the XMLS served data. Note my Mac user apology... maybe the XMLS service need to be embarrassed. Feel free to e-mail them to ask for Mac support. The XMLS people not my wife that is... ;) Thanks for any support.

http://www.sarasotaproperty.com/index.html

Digitalclips
Mar 3, 2007, 07:43 AM

No I'm perfectly happy with Apple growing their market, but not at the cost of their for lack of a better term..."soul". I've said this time and again but I think it is worth repeating. I really think Jobs had a revelation when he went through that bout of cancer. For now...Apple is Jobs. Jobs is Apple. Without him the company's future would be questionable at best. I think in 2004 Jobs made the decision that they couldn't maintain the status quo in regards to where Apple's market share stood. And thus began the push to increase market share...at any cost.
To put it another way if Jobs left the company for whatever reason, good or bad, would you as a fan be more comfortable with him leaving at 3% market share or 15%.
For a while Apple, as a computer company has been teetering. No I'm not one of these MS fanbois who is screeching like a baboon that OMG OMG! Apple is going to go out of business tomorrow! LOL!!!11one1|| But they have been in a niche market that was iffy to say the least. To put it another way Apple before the Intel transition was more likely to loose market share then gain it. Or more then likely it was in the .01% range per year.
Loosing Jobs would have probably tipped the scales further into the sliding market share. And contrary to popular belief market share DOES matter. Without it software and hardware manufacturers don't make wares for your platform. (Observe iPod vs. Zune as an example.)

So yah. While I approve of the market share growth I'm not happy what appears to be happening to apple's "culture". Its being dragged through the mud all in the name of growing numbers. :(

Ps- flame away.

I've said it before too:
History Book 2015 a.d. Famous large companies from the past no longer with us:
PANAM, TWA, Gateway, DELL, FORD, Microsoft ...

sionharris
Mar 3, 2007, 07:44 AM
Mmm, no. The original survey uses this definition of market share:

They weren't using page hits from computers that had been sold/shipped during a time frame. They defined market share as install base. FWIW, I'm sure when software companies look at Apple's "market share," I'm sure they're talking about installed base, as well.

of those 2 billion computers, how many are connected to the internet? remember this is a browser survey and will ignore all of those millions of PCs sat in offices, never actually using the internet.

SPUY767
Mar 3, 2007, 08:19 AM
of those 2 billion computers, how many are connected to the internet? remember this is a browser survey and will ignore all of those millions of PCs sat in offices, never actually using the internet.

Which is why this is a more accurate survey for the meat of the computer market. This doesn't include all the computers which people don't have a choice about, so it's more of a survey about what consumers choose rather than what businesses choose.

Toe
Mar 3, 2007, 10:31 AM
Which is why this is a more accurate survey for the meat of the computer market. This doesn't include all the computers which people don't have a choice about, so it's more of a survey about what consumers choose rather than what businesses choose.

It is only a survey of which platforms web developers have to program for. But that's quite important in itself. When Macs passed 5%, they became un-ignorable.

That can have snow-balling effects. It means that executives in boardrooms will be discussing Mac compatibility. It means potential switchers will have even less disincentive to switch. It means web developers will buy more Macs. It can also mean that developers will have more discussions of building Mac versions of other, non-web software products. And so on...

Tehy
Mar 3, 2007, 03:44 PM
Mac's market share is growing nicely! Good work Apple! :)

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
Let's just pray they don't start coming out with "basic" systems costing upwards to a whole $300 :p

twoodcc
Mar 3, 2007, 08:28 PM
good news!

apple deserves a bigger marketshare.

very good news, and yes they do!

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
I do think Silicon is right though. Apple needs to change their marketing strategy. They're trying to take the effects of their old 80's commercial and apply it to modern consumers which just doesn't work. I'd much rather see a mac commercial showing off OS X and the hardware and showing different people doing various things with their macs like production and music and so forth. I'd buy that.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 02:57 PM
I do think Silicon is right though. Apple needs to change their marketing strategy. They're trying to take the effects of their old 80's commercial and apply it to modern consumers which just doesn't work. I'd much rather see a mac commercial showing off OS X and the hardware and showing different people doing various things with their macs like production and music and so forth. I'd buy that.

It is very likely that once Leopard is released, commercials will begin to reveal short glimpses of some of Leopard's interface and operation. Also, so will commercials begin to show some of iPhones features, starting in June. So far, the recent movie: "The Devil Wears Prada" shows off Tiger's gene minimizing effect and dock magnification features - indirect advertising, you say? ;) .

jessep28
Mar 5, 2007, 03:35 PM

No I'm perfectly happy with Apple growing their market, but not at the cost of their for lack of a better term..."soul".

You make some good points in the entire post, but that last sentence kind of raises an interesting question. How big in terms of market share and volume does a company get before it loses it's "soul?"

Apple as corporation has a duty to it's shareholders to provide a return to their investment. This is of course achieved from ROE, EPS, Revenue and Net Income growth. I am engaged in a 10 week corporate environment simulation for a Business Capstone class I am taking for college. As part of it, we are EXPECTED to maintain a certain growth rates in Earnings Per Share (EPS) and Return on Equity Growth (ROE). Making money is something that has to be done in order for a company to be successful.

Nonetheless, does that mean that Apple has to become a cost leader like Dell and focus solely on increasing sales volume to reduce fixed costs in order to achieve increasing returns for shareholders? NOT IN THE LEAST.

Apple can still differentiate their product and maintain the customer culture they currently have. This can be achieved through continuing innovation, Research and Development and other factors.

I think Apple's market share increase is driven in part to the iPod, throwing Intel Chips into their machines and the increase in retail locations. This allowed people who thought of Apples as just good for photo editing to be exposed to how good of a machine they really are.

I'm one of them. I probably would have bought another Dell in September if Apple didn't open up shop in Omaha and my friend didn't show off her new MacBook. I had to be exposed to something foreign to me before I trusted it enough to drop $1600 into purchasing one.

Oh well, that's my two cents. I didn't really answer the question, but rambling is good too :).

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 04:10 PM
You make some good points in the entire post, but that last sentence kind of raises an interesting question. How big in terms of market share and volume does a company get before it loses it's "soul?"

Apple as corporation has a duty to it's shareholders to provide a return to their investment. This is of course achieved from ROE, EPS, Revenue and Net Income growth. I am engaged in a 10 week corporate environment simulation for a Business Capstone class I am taking for college. As part of it, we are EXPECTED to maintain a certain growth rates in Earnings Per Share (EPS) and Return on Equity Growth (ROE). Making money is something that has to be done in order for a company to be successful.

Nonetheless, does that mean that Apple has to become a cost leader like Dell and focus solely on increasing sales volume to reduce fixed costs in order to achieve increasing returns for shareholders? NOT IN THE LEAST.

Apple can still differentiate their product and maintain the customer culture they currently have. This can be achieved through continuing innovation, Research and Development and other factors.

I think Apple's market share increase is driven in part to the iPod, throwing Intel Chips into their machines and the increase in retail locations. This allowed people who thought of Apples as just good for photo editing to be exposed to how good of a machine they really are.

I'm one of them. I probably would have bought another Dell in September if Apple didn't open up shop in Omaha and my friend didn't show off her new MacBook. I had to be exposed to something foreign to me before I trusted it enough to drop $1600 into purchasing one.

Oh well, that's my two cents. I didn't really answer the question, but rambling is good too :).

Yes, and your three cents points to those factors which actually made the difference between stagnation and continual growth:

iPod - multiple halo effect
Intel transition - compatibility, capability, and consumer confidence
Retail Stores - experience the extraordinary user experience

The retail stores in particular helped those who had never experienced "Think Different," see different...

jaybonner
Mar 6, 2007, 08:49 AM
If I am not mistaken... 4.29 + 2.09 is 6.38%...not 6.28%... just being O.C.D.

TTt
May 21, 2007, 05:41 PM
I completely agree. Steve Jobs has no desire to see cubicle farms populated with Macs. He prefers to have only the high end of the market; to be seen as above all the rest..

Sucka, puleeze! Are you trying to tell me that if Apple could tick mark a "Yes" or "No" box next to a survey question; "Would you like to see a Mac in every office cubicle in the world?" that they would select the "No" box? I think you are employing the same business sense that you were back in 04 when you thought Pixar had seen the last of Disney. Where is your post predicting Bush's glorious victory in Iraq?

Apple's greatest acheivement was making every Mac owner believe that they are special and above everyone else just for owning their product. Geez.

And yes, I own a Mac, a linux box, and 2 "PC"s. Who doesn't?

Trogloxene
May 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The Apple 2.0 blog (http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/03/mac_market_shar.html) points to new marketshare data from NetApplications (http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2) showing that Apple's marketshare increased to 6.28% based on recent browser statistics:
Browser statistics here (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) are much lower at 3.9%, but market share is certainly increasing.

-T

splashman
May 21, 2007, 06:06 PM
Sucka, puleeze! Are you trying to tell me that if Apple could tick mark a "Yes" or "No" box next to a survey question; "Would you like to see a Mac in every office cubicle in the world?" that they would select the "No" box? I think you are employing the same business sense that you were back in 04 when you thought Pixar had seen the last of Disney.

You're replying to a two-month-old thread? Oooookay.

Re: Apple, I'll clarify: Apple (as long as Jobs is in charge) has no BUSINESS PLAN to infest the world's cubicle farms, which are generally filled with cheap POS's. If there's three things we can be sure of, it's death, taxes and Apple's sky-high margins. Sure, they would select "Yes" on your mythical survey, but how about taking a vacation down here in reality?

Re: Pixar (Now a three-year-old thread? Time for Dumpster-Diving Anonymous, dude), I made that comment eight months before Eisner announced his retirement. As long as that profit-whore was at the helm, Disney and Pixar didn't have a chance in hell of staying together. Care to argue it? Or are you too busy scanning my posts from 1992? For every article you can find from before 9/04 which forecasted Eisner and Jobs doing a deal, I can find a hundred which stated the relationship was doomed. It was common wisdom at the time; thus the stockholder revolt. I eagerly await a link to your 1/04 post, in which you prognosticated Eisner leaving, Iger taking over, and Disney buying out Pixar.

Gawd.

spydr
May 21, 2007, 09:09 PM
Awesome! Please keep it under 15% guys. That would be big enough volume for any single computer manufacturer to pass on good savings to the user; small enough for the group to still feel unique and close knit; big enough to push all the 'serious' software makers to try to port their work to Mac; small enough to discourage virus/spyware authors to take too much interest in.

JFreak
May 22, 2007, 02:17 AM
I can buy a Powerbook G4 for the price of a macbook.

That means PBG4 is indeed very desirable, because they're obsoleted technology and simply old hardware in the first place. In the Windows world, no such thing would be possible!

Macs do keep their value longer. Whether the reason is that they're more desirable or that they just keep working longer, doesn't matter, but we can all see that 2nd hand Apple hardware is more valuable than most other brand PC's.

CalBoy
May 22, 2007, 02:32 AM
That means PBG4 is indeed very desirable, because they're obsoleted technology and simply old hardware in the first place. In the Windows world, no such thing would be possible!

Macs do keep their value longer. Whether the reason is that they're more desirable or that they just keep working longer, doesn't matter, but we can all see that 2nd hand Apple hardware is more valuable than most other brand PC's.

I think you've hit part of the reason, but another big reason is probably related to Apple's prices. Unlike other PC makers, Apple does not keep lowering their prices everytime a component becomes cheaper. This is what causes HPs, Dells, Gateways, etc, to become undervalued. People believe that the price will be lower in the very near future, so they aren't willing to pay anything over a very low number.
For Macs on the other hand, the steady prices give potential buyers and sellers a stable comparison.
As for longevity, Macs probably last a little longer because Apple puts more consideration into hardware design. Look at an HP, Dell, Gateway, etc, and you'll find computers that are simply thrown together and put into a plain box.
Either way, it's a win for :apple: users.

JFreak
May 22, 2007, 07:23 AM
As for longevity, Macs probably last a little longer because Apple puts more consideration into hardware design. Look at an HP, Dell, Gateway, etc, and you'll find computers that are simply thrown together and put into a plain box. Either way, it's a win for :apple: users.

Exactly. And that's why it would be great if Steve dropped the bomb at WWDC and said "from now on, *boom* OSX can be installed into any-brand supported hardware!" this way Apple would force other PC brands to up their quality if they wanted to get Mac compatibility. Vista certification is easy to get because Microsoft puts in drivers for whatever crap anyone is producing; Apple controls its OS and if they only supported "good" hardware, there would not be a problem.

Wouldn't it be nice. Most cheapo PC's would not be compatible, but those that are would instantly become recognised as 1st class PC's right on par with Apple hardware. Naturally, those would be the ones that cost as much as Apple's and that would only be good thing because many people would then compare Apple hardware to comparable PC hardware instead of the cheapos.

Dream on ;D

Manfred
May 26, 2007, 03:59 PM
I certainly wish that WordPerfect would see its way clear to offer a Mac version. I am about ready to buy some Corel so I can go to a stockholders' meeting and fuss about their lack of interest in Apple.