PDA

View Full Version : avatars

maradong
Jun 3, 2003, 07:16 AM
just wondering if anybody got an address of where to find some avatars ?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 07:20 AM
I don't know if you can find any premade avatars that would be in the right format. They need to be 20k or less and 50x50 pixels in jpg or gif format (works best).

What sort of 'tar were you looking for? There are all sorts of members who love to make them, and many people here have them made by others. Just let us all know what it is you want - or if you find an image on line that you need 'tar-ified....

D

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 07:26 AM
c:// in my case.
Basically I am saying make your own. Or edit something already created. Using something already created is boring. Unoriginal. Doesn't show personality. I edited a huge animated gif I found on some site to what you see now. I think it fits my personality (to some degree) plus it looks awesome. :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by scem0
Basically I am saying make your own.

There are many members who don't have the programs or knowledge or talent to make one they'd be happy with. I just figured if maradong was asking that he fell into one of those catagories.

D

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 07:34 AM
I don't think you need photoshop or expensive software to make a avatar that mirrors your personality. I could have edited my avatar from iPhoto (had I been using a mac) or a freeware/shareware product. But, if you really don't know **** when it comes to imaging, then another member could fix you up with something, or I guess you could find something outside of MR, but that's no fun.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 07:38 AM
But then you managed to find yours online some where. Until maradong responds we won't know what the reason for him asking is - but all of mine I've made from images and or scratch - and I've made several dozen or so. He might be looking for something a little more professional ;)

D

Kwyjibo
Jun 3, 2003, 07:39 AM
Yeah I took a picture of blockhead off the internet and made it my iChat icon then I finally got my avatar so I found the ichat files and used that picture. in Ichat you can copy a large picture to the icon space then zoom in out and it saves the smaller (good avatar size pic)

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
But then you managed to find yours online some where. Until maradong responds we won't know what the reason for him asking is - but all of mine I've made from images and or scratch - and I've made several dozen or so. He might be looking for something a little more professional ;)

D
haha. Well, I think the messiness of my avatar represents my messy personality.

maradong
Jun 3, 2003, 07:59 AM
i think it s more like the knowlegde of how to resize images, and how to pay attention so that they won t get to big.

As for me, i got an gif, but if i try to resize it, it happens to only have 1 frame... and not all of them :D

if you got the time to explain me how to make it by myself, i d be glad to try it :D

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 08:03 AM
The number of frames shouldn't change if you resize it.

If I had a mac, I would go through the steps, but I don't.

Do you have photoshop or any other imaging software, other than that of apple's?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 08:17 AM
took me 10 seconds in ImageReady :D

maradong
Jun 3, 2003, 08:21 AM
took me 10 seconds in ImageReady :D
thank you so much :D
thx ... once more.

tazo
Jun 3, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by maradong
just wondering if anybody got an address of where to find some avatars ?

i didnt know you could find em :p I just took a couple of imac pictures, resized em, added a few of mine, and I made it an animated gif.

trebblekicked
Jun 3, 2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by tazo
i didnt know you could find em :p I just took a couple of imac pictures, resized em, added a few of mine, and I made it an animated gif.

i like the pics of the imac, but the title cards are kind of harsh. maybe it's just because it loops so fast/often. much better than yr first 'tar, though. i dunno, just one guy's opinion. :)

<EDIT> general comment: why not accept .swf files for 'tars?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by trebblekicked

<EDIT> general comment: why not accept .swf files for 'tars?

using .swf files would be great, it would allow so much more animation - but the code running the forum doesn't allow it yet. Maybe someday.

Tazo - I'd work on the transitions - they're to fast and harsh. Look at mine, its a smooth fade. Even if you did a 2 frame transition from one image to the next it wouldn't take up that much more space and you could easily do it.

D

mrjamin
Jun 3, 2003, 10:13 AM
using .swf files would be great, it would allow so much more animation - but the code running the forum doesn't allow it yet. Maybe someday.

Tazo - I'd work on the transitions - they're to fast and harsh. Look at mine, its a smooth fade. Even if you did a 2 frame transition from one image to the next it wouldn't take up that much more space and you could easily do it.

D

SWF files can be used for destructive purposes if a silly bugger decided to have a play.

Tazo: Mr.A's right man - trust him; he's an animator ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
SWF files can be used for destructive purposes if a silly bugger decided to have a play.

so true...the power of action scripting - but that could be fun, you know?

Imagine an interactive 'tar - you could have a simple mouse follower or math function, oh the potential :D

D

vniow
Jun 3, 2003, 12:32 PM
If you're not fortunate enough to own a copy of Photoshop, this site is pretty good for basic GIF editing..

http://www.gifworks.com/cgi-bin/gifworks.pl?com=transfer_open

lets not do that!

job
Jun 3, 2003, 01:36 PM

Eh? Really? I frequent another vB board and they had to disable the use of .swf sigs and tars due to abuse. I remember some members of the forum had .swf sigs which played music if you clicked on them.

Since MR is based on vB I assumed that this forum could handle .swf 'tars if arn wanted to.

shadowfax
Jun 3, 2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by job
Eh? Really? I frequent another vB board and they had to disable the use of .swf sigs and tars due to abuse. I remember some members of the forum had .swf sigs which played music if you clicked on them.

Since MR is based on vB I assumed that this forum could handle .swf 'tars if arn wanted to. can you fit music in a 20K .swf?

vniow
Jun 3, 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by vniow
lets not do that!

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm

applemacdude
Jun 3, 2003, 01:44 PM
whats wrong with my tar panel? i have 500 post:)

job
Jun 3, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
can you fit music in a 20K .swf?

The size limit wasn't 20K. It wasn't for 'tars either. The forum allowed graphical sigs with a max size of near 150K, so people used Flash to create some pretty badass sigs.

shadowfax
Jun 3, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by job
The size limit wasn't 20K. It wasn't for 'tars either. The forum allowed graphical sigs with a max size of near 150K, so people used Flash to create some pretty badass sigs. ah. well, then, i don't see the problem with allowing swfs here if the limit remains 20 K--provided that is enough to allow some basic animation anyway.

job
Jun 3, 2003, 01:57 PM
ah. well, then, i don't see the problem with allowing swfs here if the limit remains 20 K--provided that is enough to allow some basic animation anyway.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool to be able to use .swf 'tars. Animation would be so much more easier.

vniow
Jun 3, 2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by job
Yeah, that would be pretty cool to be able to use .swf 'tars. Animation would be so much more easier.

What tools are out there that make SWF animations?

job
Jun 3, 2003, 02:09 PM
What tools are out there that make SWF animations?

Flash MX for starters. :p ;)

trebblekicked
Jun 3, 2003, 02:13 PM
you can do alot in 20k w/a 50x50 swf. i was doing an animation for someone else last week and it came out to like 8k.

EDIT- you can export After Effects compositions as swf files, too.

vniow
Jun 3, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by job
Flash MX for starters. :p ;) Well I was hoping for something a little...freeer, but I do see they have a trial version...

job
Jun 3, 2003, 02:23 PM
Well I was hoping for something a little...freeer, but I do see they have a trial version...

Heh. My school allows students to purchase Macromedia and Adobe software at discounted prices. I was able to buy the entire line of Macromedia products for a fraction of the cost. :p

agreenster
Jun 3, 2003, 02:34 PM
I think allowing .swf signatures would be too dangerous. Being a flash designer myself, I know it would be all too easy to reak havok on the boards...but it sure would look nice. But for the purposes of a message board, an animated gif is all you really need.

If you really feel the need to express yourself, make your own website or something to showcase your talents.

job
Jun 3, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
I think allowing .swf signatures would be too dangerous. Being a flash designer myself, I know it would be all too easy to reak havok on the boards...but it sure would look nice. But for the purposes of a message board, an animated gif is all you really need.

I agree, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons why we can't use .swf avatars.

But it would still look nice... :)

anneleonard
Jun 3, 2003, 03:22 PM
and don't shout at me if a million people have asked this before, but... how many posts do you need to have written before you're allowed an avatar? :rolleyes:

mrjamin
Jun 3, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by anneleonard
and don't shout at me if a million people have asked this before, but... how many posts do you need to have written before you're allowed an avatar? :rolleyes:

GeneR
Jun 3, 2003, 03:29 PM
If you have a high speed internet connection and the ability to burn CD's you may want to download the Macromedia suite of web design tools: Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, etc. These are 30-day trials and they're worth the price of eventually purchasing them. (If you can get it through a student discount, even better! :D)

One thought about Animated GIFs:

Fireworks MX is really good for making animated gifs. What you'll find is they allow you to use layers in the file. So, say you have a layer which has a spaceship in it and it needs to put-put around the avatar window, well, just move the gif layer around and set the amount of time duration that the rocket is on different parts of the screen.

Then when you export the gif, choose EXPORT SPECIAL (if I remember correctly that's how you do it) and then specify that you want to export an animated gif. Ta-da! That simple. And because you're really just using the same graphic layers with little manipulation, you've got your 'tar without much of a file size change.

However, hopefully if you choose this route you'll try not to make something really annoying. Some things are fun to watch over and over again (i.e. Scem0's fight 'tar), others are not.

I was going to have my cat 'tar's eyes bug out, blink, and look around from time to time, but figured it'd get rather annoying. I tried it, got rather annoyed with myself and the 'tar and decided to simply forego on uploading it. I'm glad I didn't do it. :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 04:26 PM
Here's another reason for not having .swf files - not only can the be interactive and have links, but they can have sounds.

Imagine even 5 members on the same thread with sounds all going at the same time?

Nope, that wouldn't work.

D

shadowfax
Jun 3, 2003, 04:34 PM
Here's another reason for not having .swf files - not only can the be interactive and have links, but they can have sounds.

Imagine even 5 members on the same thread with sounds all going at the same time?

Nope, that wouldn't work.

D yeah, we mentioned that. but i wonder how much music could be placed in a 20 k file. we could allow it and warn that sounds were grounds for immediate permanent banning. lol :)

MrMacMan
Jun 3, 2003, 04:53 PM
Ha!

I can't create an avatar for sit! ;)

Look how original mine is, woo directed right to the ': D' Smiley image! :D

I tried asking once if anyone wanted to create one for me, but everyone was feeling tired or bored and didn't want to do it...

*If anyone was willing to make me anything* I will gladdly put a spot in my sig for you* :)

Yeah, am I being lazy, probably, but I'd like to see your ideas on what should go in
":D " <------ Place

shadowfax
Jun 3, 2003, 05:14 PM
try this one on for size, heh:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 05:21 PM
yeah, we mentioned that. but i wonder how much music could be placed in a 20 k file. we could allow it and warn that sounds were grounds for immediate permanent banning. lol :)

8k file I just made :D

www.gone3d.com/spam.html

how annoying can it be? We're talking way beyond spinning heads here ;)

D

job
Jun 3, 2003, 05:30 PM
oops.

ignore this post.

btw, thats a damn funny .swf

even if it is basic beyond anything else. :) :D

shadowfax
Jun 3, 2003, 05:35 PM
8k file I just made :D

www.gone3d.com/spam.html

how annoying can it be? We're talking way beyond spinning heads here ;)

D i would ban you immediately if i were you and you were me, and you posted that. bam. gone. like that. blocked IP too.

lol.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by job
btw, thats a damn funny .swf

even if it is basic beyond anything else. :) :D

ah, well, a little coding went into that too - got a random number so the sound clip attacthed to the movie gets a 35% chance of getting called every frame - and its running at 12 fps.

Yeah, so imagine there being 5 of those on one page....:D :p

D

job
Jun 3, 2003, 05:40 PM
i would ban you immediately if i were you and you were me, and you posted that. bam. gone. like that. blocked IP too.

lol.

I think if we were to set down more rigid guidelines concerning 'tars (i.e. no sound) we could prevent annoying 'tars like the example from Mr. Anderson.

Do mods have the ability to change/edit/remove someone's tar or can only the admin do that? I know in PHPBB based forums, mods can edit/remove users tars if they are too large, etc. (Inside Mac Games is one such forum.)

job
Jun 3, 2003, 05:44 PM
Yeah, so imagine there being 5 of those on one page....:D :p

Well, if you look on the bright side, only semi-professional users would have access to the software needed to make such .swf tars and actually know how to.

And even then, I doubt they would make such annoying ones. ;) :D

[edit: and if you really don't want to see the avatars, you can always disable them in your user options.]

MrMacMan
Jun 3, 2003, 06:00 PM
try this one on for size, heh:

I was acually being serious. :(

Doctor Q
Jun 3, 2003, 06:02 PM
i would ban you immediately if i were you and you were me, and you posted that. bam. gone. like that. blocked IP too.I would give up my membership at MacRumors, sell all my computers, and live in a cave where I'd be safe.

I did a lot of tinking with the speed of my avatar's animation to try to avoid going over the border between "lively" and "annoying".

shadowfax
Jun 3, 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
I was acually being serious. :( well, i was seriously kidding. it would be a fun joke if you made that your tar. but hey, you can have my old one if you want! :D

King Cobra
Jun 3, 2003, 06:12 PM
>www.gone3d.com/spam.html (Mr. A)

I take it that you have enough expereince to make something worse than that if you can fit a spamtar into a 1.8KB .swf file...

>how annoying can it be? We're talking way beyond spinning heads here ;)

Pretty soon you'll be saying that about a spankin' new spamtar and that being beyond ninja fighting. :D

Anyone for a Martha 'Tar? :D :eek:

job
Jun 3, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Anyone for a Martha 'Tar? :D :eek:

My eyes, my eyes...burning!! AGahaha...make it stop!

and so it begins ;)

MrMacMan
Jun 3, 2003, 06:18 PM
well, i was seriously kidding. it would be a fun joke if you made that your tar. but hey, you can have my old one if you want! :D

Fine, it is done.

shadowfax
Jun 3, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Fine, it is done. hey, rockin, dude, that's hilarious. it's too bad it's not any bigger, but oh well. this is the first day in months i have opened PS and IR, and it's been fun!

janey
Jun 3, 2003, 06:24 PM
mine is just a jpeg (or gif, i dunno) that i grabbed from apple's Clarus/dogcow site (http://developer.apple.com/products/techsupport/dogcow/).
my iChat buddy icon on the other hand is a G4 Cube :)

job
Jun 3, 2003, 06:28 PM
If you guys want to see a really, really long avatar thread, check out this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10875).

Anyways, I made mine with PS7. It's simple and effective.

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ´┐Żbergeek
mine is just a jpeg (or gif, i dunno) that i grabbed from apple's Clarus/dogcow site (http://developer.apple.com/products/techsupport/dogcow/).
my iChat buddy icon on the other hand is a G4 Cube :)

It's a gif just to let you know.

Originally posted by job
If you guys want to see a really, really long avatar thread, check out this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10875).

Lets try not to wake that thread up again...

GeneR
Jun 3, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by job

My avatars are soy-based and biodegradeble. They also taste great and have less filling. :p

King Cobra
Jun 3, 2003, 06:32 PM
That is why another one was started for us, and we are continuing it.

Anyways, Mike Tyson's strongest urge right now...

job
Jun 3, 2003, 06:35 PM
Lets try not to wake that thread up again...

Eh, why not?

It is after all, over the same subject and includes a vast assortment of avatars and related tips.

job
Jun 3, 2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
That is why another one was started for us, and we are continuing it.

Eh? I don't think I understand...

Anyways, Mike Tyson's strongest urge right now...

Hooo boy...that's a little random. What are you thinking about there KC? ;) :p :D

janey
Jun 3, 2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by ´┐Żbergeek
wtf? very interesting :)

King Cobra
Jun 3, 2003, 06:46 PM
>I don't think I understand... (job)

maradong started the thread. It's easier to take over it than to dig up an older thread.

>Hooo boy...that's a little random. What are you thinking about there KC? ;) :p :D

The interview with Tyson and his rather off the wall comments.

I still remember a radio announcer saying that Michael Jackson is no longer the world's strangest person, since Tyson's interview and his comments.

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by job
Eh, why not?

It is after all, over the same subject and includes a vast assortment of avatars and related tips.

I dunno, I just don't like the longness and off-topic-ness of it, and this post isn't contributing to avatars therefore I shall make it do so:

I hate this tar, but some may find it amusing

http://www.blizzforums.com/avatar.php?userid=6700&dateline=1054150547

This one's kinda cool:
http://www.blizzforums.com/avatar.php?userid=7272&dateline=1050249454

I get a kick out of this one:
http://www.blizzforums.com/avatar.php?userid=431&dateline=1042523117

I think you should add this to your avatar Mr.MacMan:
http://www.blizzforums.com/images/smilies/yippee.gif

And last, but certainly not least, me: