Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
When I leave my computer, I turn off the display and leave the CPU on. When I return a few hours later, I move the mouse/space bar and turn the power on the monitor. Sometimes the monitor light comes on, fades to black and no picture. I turn the monitor off and then back on again and the picture shows. There is no rhyme or reason, sometimes I have to turn off and on 3-4 times before the picture shows.

Called Apple, they made me run through steps, but they have no idea what is wrong.

Ideas?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Its difficult to say because I don't own an ACD, but an easy way to get rid of this problem would be set the monitor to sleep after x minutes.

OS X:
System Preferences > Energy Saver > and its the bottom slider.

Sorry if you already know about all that. Good luck.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Update

I can turn it off and on, sometimes the light comes on but shows no video and I have to "turn off and on" a few times.

I called Apple, they made me clear my ram and change some other settings. It didnt work.

One additional detail. This morning, I turn my monitor on and the light came on, faded off and then pulsed 3 times. Not sure if that helps.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Oh, I didn't know you can turn off your display, I thought that was to put the computer to sleep, and I have an ACD. :D

Why dont' you just set it so your monitor goes to sleep when you dont use it for a set amount of time. That way, you dont have to turn on/off your display and your computer will still be on. :)

mediaboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Well, since it is only 4 months old, its a bit annoying. I got Apple care as well.

I figured out what is wrong. I notice this time the 3 light pulses from the power led. Come to find out:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88366

My light pulses are in the last category. I am on the phone, lets see what they say.

mediaboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Apple Care

Well, they told me that even though my light pulse pattern said one thing that it was probably wrong, so they sent me a power brick and told me it should fix it.

Wrong.

Now I need to figure out what I am going to do without a monitor for a week. Crap.

motomullet

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2005
Oh, I didn't know you can turn off your display, I thought that was to put the computer to sleep, and I have an ACD. :D

Its under the display settings, you can choose to shut off / sleep the computer or just turn off the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.