PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite album?

pEZ
Jun 3, 2003, 08:51 AM
Complete music album, any genre, preferably one you've ripped into iTunes, to keep the mac thing going.

For the moment, mine is A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay.

trebblekicked
Jun 3, 2003, 08:57 AM
without a doubt:

music from the unrealized screenplay "dusk at cubist castle" by the Olivia Tremor Control. Half pop-psychadelic mastery, one quarter ambient, one quarter noise-scapes. Brilliant. it's as if the Beach Boys and the Beatles never got old, never broke up, and never stopped doing drugs.

Foxer
Jun 3, 2003, 09:45 AM
Any of the following. Depending on my mode on any given day, I would decare each of these albums perfect as a whole:

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pet Shop Boys - Very
Wedding Present - Bizarro
Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
Stone Roses - Stone Roses

vollspacken
Jun 3, 2003, 10:19 AM
1st: Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds"
2nd: Underworld - "Second Toughest in The Infants"
3rd: 4Hero - "Creating Patterns"

:D :D :D

vSpacken

anonymous161
Jun 3, 2003, 10:19 AM
Nine Inch Nails- The Fraglie
The atmosphere, the textures, the movement, the emotion. The double disc album goes on for 2 hours and you never want it to stop. Perfect.

mrjamin
Jun 3, 2003, 10:21 AM
a VERY difficult question to answer. I have a top 10, but no favourite as it were:

Grace - Jeff Buckley
The K&D sessions - Kruder and Dorfmeisther
Who's Next - The Who
The Joshua Tree - U2
Ophelia - Natalie Merchant
New Adventures in HiFi - R.E.M
Make Yourself - Incubus
Adrenaline - Deftones
Without you i'm nothing - Placebo

cc bcc
Jun 3, 2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
a VERY difficult question to answer. I have a top 10, but no favourite as it were:

Grace - Jeff Buckley
The K&D sessions - Kruder and Dorfmeisther
Who's Next - The Who
The Joshua Tree - U2
Ophelia - Natalie Merchant
Make Yourself - Incubus
Adrenaline - Deftones
Without you i'm nothing - Placebo

I only count 9 ;)

btw, K&D are excellent.

My top 10 bands:

Air
Boards of Canada
David Bowie
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Lamb
Marillion
Massive Attack
Pink Floyd
Roger Waters
Type O Negative

mrjamin
Jun 3, 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by cc bcc
I only count 9 ;)

btw, K&D are excellent.

My top 10 bands:

Air
Boards of Canada
David Bowie
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Lamb
Marillion
Massive Attack
Pink Floyd
Roger Waters
Type O Negative

hehe, oops. i think Moon Safari (air) belongs in my list actually.

mangoman
Jun 3, 2003, 10:49 AM
Standouts:

* First Circle
* New Chatauqua
* Travels (Live)

Just pulled his latest solo effort down from the iTunes store, "One Quiet Night". Mellow, beautiful. Pat's the man, hands down.

Then again, I'm an 'old fart', so...

wdlove
Jun 3, 2003, 10:50 AM
I can't decide on a favorite. I like classical, movie soundtracks, and some popular!

pEZ
Jun 3, 2003, 10:52 AM
....I need to make a list of my own.

In no particular order -

A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins
Songs from an American Movie Vol 1: Learning How to Smile - Everclear
Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
New Miserable Experience - Gin Blossoms
So Impossible EP - Dashboard Confessional
Dizzy Up the Girl - Goo Goo Dolls
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Kanno Yoko
American Beauty (score) - Thomas Newman
Requiem for a Dream (score) - Clint Mansell & the Kronos Quartet

iGav
Jun 3, 2003, 01:16 PM

;)

I'll also add 'Beaucoup Fish' by Underworld when I wanna dance...

James.Paul
Jun 3, 2003, 01:31 PM
Definitely The Joshua Tree by U2!!!!

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 3, 2003, 01:52 PM
This is hard. I'll just stick to a post 1990 top 5, because otherwise the Beatles would dominate!

OK Computer - Radiohead
The Soft Bulletin - Flaming Lips
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
Automatic for the People - R.E.M.
Homogenic - Bjork

(Homogenic would be higher on the list if not for Pluto - she just screams for 4 minutes...meh) :p

Kwyjibo
Jun 3, 2003, 02:02 PM
Lucky Boys Confusion- Throwing the Game
Mest- Destination Unknown
Bowling For Soup- Too Drunk to Dance

I could listen to these three albums for the rest of my life

mrjamin
Jun 3, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
This is hard. I'll just stick to a post 1990 top 5, because otherwise the Beatles would dominate!

OK Computer - Radiohead
The Soft Bulletin - Flaming Lips
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
Automatic for the People - R.E.M.
Homogenic - Bjork

(Homogenic would be higher on the list if not for Pluto - she just screams for 4 minutes...meh) :p

homogenic is a fantastic album

as for automatic for the people - it is good, but have you heard new adventures in hifi? its amazing. The thing i love about REM is that every album is so different - you wouldn't think that Monster was the followup to automatic!!

scem0
Jun 3, 2003, 04:25 PM
Fav albums in no particular order:

Fallen - Evanescence
The sickness -Disturbed
Toxicity - System of a Down
Through the eyes - Flaw
Break the Cycle - Staind
Adema - Adema
Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park

Those are probably my favorite albums.

Foucault
Jun 3, 2003, 05:11 PM
1. BONA DRAG - MORRISSEY
2. PARACHUTES - COLDPLAY
3. LAID - JAMES
4. ITS A SHAME ABOUT RAY - LEMONHEADS
5. KID A - RADIOHEAD
6. JOSHUA TREE - U2
7. AUGUST AND EVERYTHING AFTER - COUNTING CROWS
8. BEHIND THE SUN - CHICANE
9. KIND OF BLUE - MILES DAVIS
10. ACHTUNG BABY - U2

markjones05
Jun 3, 2003, 05:38 PM
Right now, i'd have to say Jack Johnson - On and On.

Doctor Q
Jun 3, 2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I can't decide on a favorite. I like classical, movie soundtracks, and some popular! I don't understand what it means to like movie soundtracks as a category. They might be anything - rap, rock, alternative, R&B, classical, or covers of Beatles songs. Isn't that like saying "I like music by groups starting with the letter 'L'"? Please explain, wd.

funkywhat2
Jun 3, 2003, 08:00 PM
Gotta love Abbey Road. My favorite Floyd album is Wish You Were Here, and my favorite Who is Quadrophenia (sp?)

New albums, I like Elephant, that new White Stripes album. Sigur Ros's ( ) is good too.

EDIT: My five-hundreth!! Wooo!

King Cobra
Jun 3, 2003, 08:08 PM
>Fallen - Evanescence
>The sickness -Disturbed
>Toxicity - System of a Down
>Break the Cycle - Staind
>Adema - Adema
>Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park (scem)

I agree with all of those except the "flaw" album, which I do not have.

A few others: (Artist - Album)

Mudvayne - The End Of All Things To Come
Slipknot - Slipknot
Taproot - Gift
Disturbed - Believe
GSmack - Faceless

mangoman
Jun 3, 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Gotta love Abbey Road. My favorite Floyd album is Wish You Were Here, and my favorite Who is Quadrophenia (sp?)

New albums, I like Elephant, that new White Stripes album. Sigur Ros's ( ) is good too.

EDIT: My five-hundreth!! Wooo!

Quadrophenia: great movie, even better soundtrack. Don't know if you have it, but they FINALLY re-released the ol' school version, which has a super mix of artists beyond The Who. Really nice R&B stuff, etc.

Check it out.

iAdam
Jun 3, 2003, 09:30 PM
Green Day - Dookie
Linkin Park - Reanimation

applemacdude
Jun 3, 2003, 09:41 PM
Linkin Park-Hybrid Theory

Tequila Grandma
Jun 4, 2003, 12:55 AM
Well, I have a fairly wide spectrum of musical taste, so it's a bit difficult to narrow it all down, but here's a list of the 11 albums in my collection that have probably gotten the most play (in no particular order)...

"The Beatles (White Album)" by The Beatles
"Sheik Yerbouti" by Frank Zappa
"The Head on the Door" by The Cure
"Black Celebration" by Depeche Mode
"Q: Are We Not Men? A: We are Devo!" by Devo
"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John
"Daydream Nation" by Sonic Youth
"Freak Out!" by The Mothers of Invention
"Substance 1987" by New Order
"Doolittle" by The Pixies
"The Velvet Underground & Nico" by The Velvet Underground

Arigato,
Brook

Tequila Grandma
Jun 4, 2003, 12:58 AM
Whatever, "Pluto" is great :p -- I guess I just have a thing for screaming women, and it's nice to see Björk join the ranks of screaming chicks like Patti Smith and Kim Gordon :D. "Bachelorette", however, is by far the best song on that album :)

Arigato,
Brook

shadowfax
Jun 4, 2003, 01:20 AM
OK Computer by radiohead is unquestionably the best album of the nineties. no contest.

i would say "The Wall" and "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd are the tied two albums for best of all time. they just stand out for their outstanding value as overall albums, as a group of songs that truly come together to form a coherent, meaningful album, rather than just a series of mostly unrelated songs.

Vanilla
Jun 4, 2003, 02:08 AM
electric ladyland - jimi hendrix
aladdan sane - david bowie
dark side of the moon - pink floyd
unknown pleasures - joy division
without you I'm nothing - placebo
ok computer - radiohead
Jagged little pill - alenis morrissette

mrjamin
Jun 4, 2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by mangoman
Quadrophenia: great movie, even better soundtrack. Don't know if you have it, but they FINALLY re-released the ol' school version, which has a super mix of artists beyond The Who. Really nice R&B stuff, etc.

Check it out.

I love that film. My parents live about 15 minutes from brighton - i used to go over there all the time when i lived at home. It's quite cool seeing all the places in the movie - a few of them aren't there anymore. Yes, the soundtrack is great. The soundtrack to Tommy is just as obscure as the film, but there are some amazing tracks in it too.

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 4, 2003, 07:27 AM
as for automatic for the people - it is good, but have you heard new adventures in hifi? its amazing. The thing i love about REM is that every album is so different - you wouldn't think that Monster was the followup to automatic!!

Hi-fi might be my 2nd favorite album of theirs. I've heard that Mike Mills thinks it's their best. I find it a little long - they could have cut out a few songs and then it would have been just about perfect.

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 4, 2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Tequila Grandma Whatever, "Pluto" is great -- I guess I just have a thing for screaming women, and it's nice to see Björk join the ranks of screaming chicks like Patti Smith and Kim Gordon . "Bachelorette", however, is by far the best song on that album

Haha, yeah I could see its appeal if you are into that screaming female singer thing...but I guess it's not quite my thing.

Totally agree about Bachelorette though. That, coupled with Unravel like it is, is pretty devastating.

"I'm a tree that grows hearts/one for each that you take."

[edited for formatting]

scem0
Jun 4, 2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra

A few others: (Artist - Album)

Mudvayne - The End Of All Things To Come
Slipknot - Slipknot
Taproot - Gift
Disturbed - Believe
GSmack - Faceless

Mudvayne - sucky band. Scream scream scream. Yell Yell yell. Suck suck suck. :o

Slipknot - pussies trying to be hardcore. Corny masks don't make you hardcore. Every single song sounds the exact same. Horrible band :(.

Taproot - Can't stand the lead singer's voice although they aren't bad.

Disturbed - great band. But Believe sucked. There was like 1 or 2 good songs on it. I waited for this album, and bought it right away, and was severely dissapointed. Disturbed has gone downhill. :(

You should buy the 'Through the Eyes' album by Flaw. It is very good. The lead singer ain't that great of a singer. And I've heard they suck live (but so does evanescence), but I really don't care because I don't really ever plan on seeing them live ;). If you like SLipknot then a song you might like by Flaw is 'Payback'. Now that song is hardcore.

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 4, 2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
OK Computer by radiohead is unquestionably the best album of the nineties. no contest.

As much as I love OK C, I think that The Soft Bulletin by the FLaming Lips is just barely a notch below it. Wayne Coyne's voice might not be for everyone, but that album is pretty incredible. Give it some spins if you haven't yet.

shadowfax
Jun 4, 2003, 01:37 PM
As much as I love OK C, I think that The Soft Bulletin by the FLaming Lips is just barely a notch below it. Wayne Coyne's voice might not be for everyone, but that album is pretty incredible. Give it some spins if you haven't yet. yeah, i first heard the soft bulletin about 2 years ago, i think. it is a most excellent album. i love their latest, yoshimi battles the pink robots. that was definitely one of the best albums of last year.

job
Jun 4, 2003, 01:45 PM
What's the Story (Morning Glory?) - Oasis

The Very Best Of The Eagles - The Eagles (obviously :rolleyes: )

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

Lateralus - Tool

Foxer
Jun 4, 2003, 01:48 PM

Gotta back up, Ambrose Chapel on this one. Automatic is the best REM album. I also think it was the last GOOD REM album. In my opinion, of course.

Groovsonic
Jun 4, 2003, 02:13 PM
Ok...

5 in no order:

Beatles - White Album
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Newsboys - Shine: The Hits
BeeGees - The Record: Greatest Hits 1966-2002
Elton John - Greatest Hits 1970-2002

Yes, I know it is a cop-out to put greatest hits on the list, but still...

iGav
Jun 4, 2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
Gotta back up, Ambrose Chapel on this one. Automatic is the best REM album. I also think it was the last GOOD REM album. In my opinion, of course.

I've gotta back up mrjamin... ;) :p

'Automatic For The People' maintains a mood better... But the beauty of 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' is in it's diversity...

Songs don't come much better than 'Leave', 'Undertow' or 'Low Desert', each one is very different sonically... and lyrically...

I guess I feel that R.E.M. are better of late, I prefer 'Hi'Fi', 'UP' and 'Reveal' than any other combo, and I'm more of a fan of the WBR years as opposed to the IRS years....

I'm just hoping that the new album plugs back in... :)

King Cobra
Jun 4, 2003, 05:54 PM
>Mudvayne - sucky band. Scream scream scream. Yell Yell yell. (scem0)

Well I go for that. These guys are down to reality and know about the world. They aren't idiots.

>Slipknot - pussies trying to be hardcore. Corny masks don't make you hardcore. Every single song sounds the exact same.

Another intelligent band. Their first album is their hardest so far (I know because I heard a song from their second album off the radio, and a classmate played the first album through) so I was judging it on that.

I agree on the masks, somewhat.

>Taproot - Can't stand the lead singer's voice although they aren't bad.

I have both of their albums. Both of them have a rare, hard positive metal taste of music. Most metal/heavy metal is either negative or a depressant. These guys are different.

>Disturbed - great band. But Believe sucked. There was like 1 or 2 good songs on it. I waited for this album, and bought it right away, and was severely dissapointed.

I think Believe is the better album. It has a lot of positives, just like Taproot, but Believe is more melodic.

The Sickness wasn't bad, either. That was a hard, bad-ass album.

I think I'm going to have a new favorite soon:
Metallica - St. Anger

dominick
Jun 4, 2003, 06:14 PM
jane's addiction ritual de lo habitual

a beautiful magical album
that's the album i want to hear on my deathbed
that's the album that has effected all of my aesthetic sensibilities

i reccomend it more heavily than oxygen

Tequila Grandma
Jun 4, 2003, 08:55 PM
i love their latest, yoshimi battles the pink robots. that was definitely one of the best albums of last year.
I don't know, I think "Yoshimi" is a merely okay album. It's incredibly uneven. "Fight Test" could possbily be the best mainstream pop song I've heard in 5 years (maybe more :eek: ) , and the title track is also quite difficult to not love; but the rest of the album doesn't quite measure up to those two tracks.

Arigato,
Brook

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 5, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by iGav
'Automatic For The People' maintains a mood better... But the beauty of 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' is in it's diversity...

Songs don't come much better than 'Leave', 'Undertow' or 'Low Desert', each one is very different sonically... and lyrically...

I guess I feel that R.E.M. are better of late, I prefer 'Hi'Fi', 'UP' and 'Reveal' than any other combo, and I'm more of a fan of the WBR years as opposed to the IRS years....

I guess I have to back up myself on this one :D

Songs don't come better than Try Not to Breathe, which is just devastating, Sweetness Follows (ditto), Nightswimming (gorgeous), and Find the River (gorgeous-er!).

As for recent REM, the 2 post-Bill Berry albums are really uneven IMHO. Reveal has 4 or 5 amazing songs (Beat a Drum, Lifting, I've Been High) but way too many dull (Beach Ball, Imitation of Life) or even annoying ones (She Just Wants to Be). Same with Up.

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 5, 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Tequila Grandma
I don't know, I think "Yoshimi" is a merely okay album. It's incredibly uneven. "Fight Test" could possbily be the best mainstream pop song I've heard in 5 years (maybe more ) , and the title track is also quite difficult to not love; but the rest of the album doesn't quite measure up to those two tracks.

I agree competely. Fight test is spectacular, even though they apparently swiped the melody from a Cat Stevens tune from the 70s. The first part of the album is all great, then Yoshimi pt 2 brings the thing down. In the 2nd half Hypnotist and Ego Tripping are great but the rest is pretty forgettable. Especially the closers - Feeling Yourself Disintegrate and Sleeping on the Roof closed the Soft Bulletin amazingly (especially that guitar solo at the end of Disintegrate - WOW!) but All We Have is Now and Utopia Planitia end Yoshimi kind of with a whimper, IMO. Still, it was probably in my top 5 from last year.

Winston Smith
Jun 5, 2003, 12:39 PM

i would say "The Wall" and "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd are the tied two albums for best of all time. they just stand out for their outstanding value as overall albums, as a group of songs that truly come together to form a coherent, meaningful album, rather than just a series of mostly unrelated songs.

And then with the principle of every song a winner I think DSOM just edges out the wall.

Flowbee
Jun 5, 2003, 12:42 PM
"Jesus Christ Superstar" original London cast recording.

EDIT: A close second is the "Mishima" soundtrack by Philip Glass.

areyouwishing
Jun 5, 2003, 12:50 PM
Radiohead - Kid A
Sigur Ros - ()
Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis
Benton Falls - Guilt Beats Hate
Face to Face - Ignorance is Bliss
Flickerstick - Welcoming Home the Astronauts
Minus the Bear - Highly refined Pirates
Hopesfall - Satellite Years
Before Braille - The Rumor
Thrice - Illusion of Safety

A mix of older and newer, in no particular order.

kettle
Jun 5, 2003, 07:14 PM
Biomech - Devin Townsend/Ocean Machine
City - Strapping Young Lad
Grace - Jeff Buckley

mrjamin
Jun 5, 2003, 07:32 PM
I guess I have to back up myself on this one :D

Songs don't come better than Try Not to Breathe, which is just devastating, Sweetness Follows (ditto), Nightswimming (gorgeous), and Find the River (gorgeous-er!)

I completely agree with you on the songs, but thats just it - automatic is an average album with a few stand out tracks (nightswimming is one of my favourite REM songs ever) BUT in its entirety, its a little samey and not particularly interesting. hifi is a collection of songs - the album can only exist as a unit - the singles all flopped.
Originally posted by iGAV
I'm more of a fan of the WBR years as opposed to the IRS years....

Yeah, same here. imho, the IRS years produced a lot of albums like automatic, in that they were ok as a whole with some amazing stand out tracks, like finest worksong, its the end of the world as we know (and i feel fine), boxcars, driver 8 to name a few.

Things got interesting when Green was released (another amazing album) then got a bit dull with automatic, then picked up with Monster.

Favourite track on Hifi has to Leave - wow. The radiohead mix of it (from the life less ordinary OST) is absolutely mind blowing too.

mrjamin
Jun 5, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
"Jesus Christ Superstar" original London cast recording.

EDIT: A close second is the "Mishima" soundtrack by Philip Glass.

is philip glass the guy who did the score to The Hours? if so, he's great.

<offtopic>
If you haven't seen The Hours, its one of the most amazing films i've ever seen - it deserver way more oscars than the one it got. Edward Harris should've got best supporting actor, as for meryl streep - it has to be her best film to date
</offtopic>

taeclee99
Jun 5, 2003, 10:00 PM
Any album by New Order.

wdlove
Jun 6, 2003, 04:00 PM
"American Journey" John Williams
"Heavenly: Music For Angels" Tena Clark
"1812 Overture" Tchaikovsky
"Mamma Mia!" Abba
"Pearl Harbor" Hans Zimmer
"Les Miserables" Herbert Kretzmer

jadariv
Jun 6, 2003, 07:39 PM
Wow. I wanted to list just one but...i can't...

Metallica "Metallica"
Ozzy Osbourne "No More Tears"
Talking Heads "Little Creatures"

but my absolute all time is probably...

"5150" by VAN HALEN

h'biki
Jun 8, 2003, 11:54 AM
Hmm. I've kinda been revisiting the music of my adolesence lately.. so seeing all the teens post up Linkin Park- here's a top 10 of angsty albums that I still listen to (or want too. given that 2 of them have gone bye byes... and I remember them fondly)

1. Anthrax - Sound of White Noise
2. Metallica - Ride the Lightening
3. Sepultura - Chaos AD
4. My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans
5. NiN - Pretty Hate Machine
6. Nailbomb - Nailbomb
7. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
8. Cradle of Filth - Dusk... and her embrace
9. Tool - Intolerance
10. Korn - Self-Titled

With the exception of Korn, I'd say anyone into 'nuMetal' must check out the above albums,

Stuff from my teenager years I never stopped listening too:

Portishead - Dummy and Portishead
Pink Floyd - DSOM, Animals, WYWH, The Wall [just a brilliant sequence of albums]
Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park & the Process
Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends
Front 242 - 06:21:03:11 Up Evil
Nick Cave - Let Love in
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Stuff I'm into atm:

Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery - The Dynamic Duo
Jimmy Smith - Root Down Live!
Miles Davis - A Kind of Blue
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
RJD2 - Deadringer
KRS1 - Return of the Boom Bap
Sigur Ros - ()
Front Line Assembly - Tactical Neural Implant
My Dying Bride - the Light at the End of the World
Mark Rae - Rae Road
Low + the Dirty Three - In the Fishtank 7
Massive Attack - Protection
Waikiki - I'm Already Home
Autechre - Amber
Beth Orton - Trailer Park

Some Top 10, huh?

JupiterTwo
Jun 8, 2003, 12:40 PM
top 10 of the moment...

Achtung Baby - U2
A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay
Echo Park - Feeder
Elastica - Elastica
Melody AM - Royksopp
The Man Who - Travis
The Remote Part - Idlewild
Urban Hyms - The Verve
Word Gets Around - Stereophonics

and just in - Ego War - Audio Bullys

My ipod never sounded so good :p

scem0
Jun 8, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra

I think I'm going to have a new favorite soon:
Metallica - St. Anger

OMG I meant to say this but forgot.....

THeir new song that plays on MTV every so often is SUCH a System of a Down rip-off. It sounds exactly like system of a down. Arghhh. Metallica has even gone downhill. http://www.my-smileys.de/screams.gif

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorite albums - 'Infest' by Papa Roach. Such a great album. I usually don't like white rappers, but this is an exception. I love ever song on Infest. Love Hate Tragedy is good too, but not as good. It has less rapping. But Infest has some great songs, like 'Thrown away' and 'Last Resort'.

http://www.my-smileys.de/blah.gif

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

Jimong5
Jun 8, 2003, 01:19 PM

I agree with this totally, But I personally give the edge to the wall, but I do Like them both the best

guitargeek
Jun 8, 2003, 05:28 PM
Ben Folds Five - The unauthorized biography of Reinhold Messner

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Chick Corea - Akoustic Band

Those are my favorites today. They change daily.

Cnoffis
Jun 9, 2003, 01:15 PM
umm... not in any particular order...

Vitalogy - Pearl Jam
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Bleach - Nirvana
Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Toxicity - System of a Down
Mirrorball - Niel Young
Isola - Kent
Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
Audioslave - Audioslave
Use Your Brain - Clawfinger
The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

there are probably more, but I keep forgetting... ^_^

RugoseCone
Jun 10, 2003, 10:35 AM
It was cool to see someone post Front 242's Up Evil. I was listening to that on the way to work.

I like a lot of stuff; from The Doors and CCR all the way to Thrill Kill Kult and Pigface, but to pick one album is no problem.

The End of Silence - Rollins Band

You younger people want hardcore? End of Silence will DESTROY any of the numetal fluff you throw up against it. Thundering bass and drums, some of the most brillant guitar, and raging vocals. Hands down this IS hardcore.

rueyeet
Jun 10, 2003, 12:02 PM
Well, hey. I've been reading these forums awhile and I guess a post to this particular thread's as good a place to start as any.

There are great records, where every song is good, and you listen time and again, but to qualify for great album, the work has to stand as a cohesive whole, where the presence of each song enhances the others.

First there's the albums that have really influenced or changed me, the ones that got in my head and never left, and are now part of me:

Pink Floyd: The Wall
Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral
Tool: Lateralus

That's the short list. Other albums I've liked:

The Who - Tommy
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Madonna - Ray of Light (no, really!)

There's a lot of other music I like, too, but so little of it qualifies as an album in the sense of a unified work. Maybe I'm thinking of "concept" albums here. Oh well, just good stuff:

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration and Violator
Indigo Girls - Rites of Passage
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
System of a Down - Steal this Album (I like this better than Toxicity, actually)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
U2 - The Joshua Tree

I like this thread--much music recommended, much to check out. I need to broaden my musical tastes anyway.

:)