Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Has anyone successfully connected to an Airport Disk with Xbox Media Center yet?

I have my airport disk all setup and can view it with my mac and another PC just fine, however I get "connection refused" when trying access it via SMB within Xbox Media center.

Any ideas are welcome.

markjewiss

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Dunmow, UK
Has anyone successfully connected to an Airport Disk with Xbox Media Center yet?

I have my airport disk all setup and can view it with my mac and another PC just fine, however I get "connection refused" when trying access it via SMB within Xbox Media center.

Any ideas are welcome.

Am trying this now, but haven't even gotten as far as you - how did you get the Xbox to recognise the disk - I'm trying to get to it using an SMB share to 10.0.1.1 (the IP of the AEX) but the Xbox can't even see that! :(

Mark.

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
I'm just browsing the SMB network under the video section. It's one of the default network paths in the sources.xml file. It shows me all my SMB shares on my network, 1 PC, 1 Mac, and my airport disk (which is named some crazy number and letter name which I don't seem to have control over with the apple airport disk software).

I tried formatting the drive in both fat32 and HFS+, but neither worked btw.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I have my airport disk working with XBMC. The below line is from my sources.xml

<path>smb://usersname:password@192.168.1.1/media1/videos/</path>

markjewiss

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Dunmow, UK
I have my airport disk working with XBMC. The below line is from my sources.xml

Thanks for the responses guys.

Managed to work this out, it is fairly easy, but a shame it's not documented (well I couldn't find it anyway). What got me is that you have to add a directory name to the setup in XBMC, I've been trying to access the root of my drive. Also XBMC doesn't seem able to browse from the Airport Extreme until *after* you've added a directory, and then you can only go down within that directory... Oh, and in case anyone wonders about the username settings, I used the full user from my MBP and that password, even though I've got guest disk access turned on (which I thought negated the need for a password).

Ta,

Mark

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Is the media1 directory designated by the airport base station is it just a placeholder for the SMB sharename that the airport automatically assigns?

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
For some reason my Airport SMB Share is called 0016CBC18567. I cannot connect for the life of me. Any recommendations?

comTee

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
Can someone please post a screenie with all setttings in AEBS, XBMC and sources.xml? Would be very much appreciated because I can't get the damn thing to work with the description so far but I'm a noob with comps so maybe that's why.. :S

When the line says something like this below. Is that line completed than or do I really have to write the username and password for example "xbox", "xbox" and than save it and transfer back to the Xbox?

Is media1 the partion on the USB HDD or just a folder?

Where do you get the 192.168.1.1 ip when the AEBS has something like 10.0.1.1?

Is path-code code above under "SMB Network Share" or "WORKGROUP (SMB) Network"?

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
OK, I got it working, but still have a problem.

username=your login that you specified in the airport disk section in the Airport Admin Utility
password= password for that login

192.168.1.1 = IP address of your new fancy airport router. it might be 10.0.1.1 depending on how you have DHCP setup.
media1= name of harddisk, this could be anything you want
videos = folder within the media1 share..you must make this folder on your comp beforehand if you want it there.

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
OK, so my latest and hopefully final problem with this...

I have all my movies ripped as Movie Name/VIDEO_TS/ and I can only get them to play in the File List mode. if I add them to the media library mode, they won't play whatsoever, yet still work fine if i just go straight to the directory and hit play. I still have to look at the log file and such, but it just seems kind of strange.

comTee

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
Sorry I'm repeating a question again... Remember I'm a total nOOb here so ;)

Should the code go below "SMB Network Share" or "WORKGROUP (SMB) Network"?

vashim66

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
neither, open up your sources.xml file in the userdata folder and add a new source under in the video section.

comTee

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
Finally got it to work! Thx for the help! =)

next up, thumbnails...how to?
I have the sources.xml-file sorted something like this below, and I know the image must be on the local driver (Xbox).

<bookmark>
<name>Videos | Airport</name>
<path>smb://username:password@10.0.1.1/hangar/videos/</path>
<thumbnail>E:\Apps\XBMC\media\movies.png</thumbnail>
</bookmark>

Do I need a BM for each movie or how does XBMC know which image to look for? Can someone give me a example please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.