PDA

View Full Version : New Call Blocking System being rushed through....

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 11:14 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/06/02/do.not.call.ap/index.html

This is fantastic! I'm definitely going to sign up and then if I get any solicitation calls I'll get the info I need to report them. Damn, this is good! :D

Can you tell I don't like those calls?

D

cubist
Jun 3, 2003, 12:00 PM
Did you notice these loopholes:

"A company may call someone on the list if that person has bought, leased or rented from the company within the past 18 months. Telemarketers also can call people if they have inquired about or applied for something from the company during the past three months.

"Charities, surveys and calls on behalf of politicians also are exempt."

Those are probably enough to make the whole system worthless.

These days, I don't answer any call which comes up on caller ID as "out of area". I would estimate I get 20 calls a day like that. Very few telemarketers show their number, and I tell them "not interested" and hang up.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2003, 12:57 PM
Yeah, well, some will be exempt, but not all. The bank cards and 'vacation' calls will eventually stop and that's half of what I get.

D

Le Big Mac
Jun 3, 2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Did you notice these loopholes:

"A company may call someone on the list if that person has bought, leased or rented from the company within the past 18 months. Telemarketers also can call people if they have inquired about or applied for something from the company during the past three months.

"Charities, surveys and calls on behalf of politicians also are exempt."

Those are probably enough to make the whole system worthless.

These days, I don't answer any call which comes up on caller ID as "out of area". I would estimate I get 20 calls a day like that. Very few telemarketers show their number, and I tell them "not interested" and hang up.

I disagree. Most calls are from random cos., not ones I've dealt with. In fact, I can't remember the last time I got a call from a co. I did business with (as a junk call). Maybe a long distance co.

Another important part of the new law is that the company can't have an "unknown name/out of area" on caller id. They have to program it so you can see the number and name. That makes it a lot easier to screen.

Roger1
Jun 3, 2003, 02:36 PM
Why waste time with this stuff? Just have kids, and let them answer the phone :D

Gelfin
Jun 3, 2003, 03:28 PM
If companies I've done business with harrass me to an annoying degree after I do business with them, then I won't do any more business with them, and after 18 months they'll have to stop calling. That in itself is valuable, even if it takes a year and a half.

It will also eliminate calls from the local newspaper (the only dealings I have with the Chron are the occasional quarter in the paperbox, and if they can track that back to me, I'm afraid), from the endless stream of nauseatingly chipper and obviously recorded people pretending to be live people saying, "HI! I'm sorry I missed you, but I'm calling with GREAT NEWS!..." I assume those are vacation/timeshare things -- I hit "erase" at that point), and from most of the almost certainly fraudulent companies promising to help me out of the credit problem I most definitely do not have.

davy the bunny
Jun 4, 2003, 06:49 AM
Keep in mind that "doing business with" is a very broad phrase and that it could mean anything to signing up for something online, to applying to win a contest, to filling out a customer satisfaction survey at a restaurant. I guess as long as we never give out our phone number then we will be fine. . .

tazo
Jun 4, 2003, 08:28 AM
i however like to mess with the telemarketers sometimes. I am like, "Well I am kinda busy right now, why don't you give me your home phone number, so I can call you during dinner when its more convenient?", "what?", "you don't give out your home phone?", "why?, oh so you don't like it when you get phone calls during dinner?"......:p

tazo
Jun 4, 2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by davy the bunny
Keep in mind that "doing business with" is a very broad phrase and that it could mean anything to signing up for something online, to applying to win a contest, to filling out a customer satisfaction survey at a restaurant. I guess as long as we never give out our phone number then we will be fine. . .

not even your phone number anymore, now I get text messaging spam. some how they got the cellphone :(